Just Thoughts!

Edwards Kings

Just Thoughts!

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 pm

I believe we, as a culture, have fundamentally confused the basic value concepts which support, among other things, religious beliefs, moral behavior, and patriotism, with much shallower concepts as defined by questionable and less substantive sources. I have recognized that I would do myself harm if I relied on these lesser and comparatively remote icons for ideals and examples to construct and reconstruct my own personal system of beliefs. I believe my self-worth, evolution, and contribution to society will be greater if I use my own intimate and trusted sources for those lessons necessary to be the best person I can possibly be.

The prime example of this is that, in my life, I have witnessed the distant national media and our own elected officials denigrate and demean the kinds of lessons I learned from my valued teachers in such politically incorrect places as the pew and the desk. It has advanced to the point that school, a place that used to support families symbiotically and necessarily in this regard, prohibits the practice of any lesson related to actually strengthening the character of a person. An act or a lesson in school that may have religious, patriotic or moral value is now considered taboo because these lessons are erroneously projected by some as precluding inclusion and acceptance.

It has been attempted to make me believe that people without the character to protect the practice of teaching such principles in public are somehow more enlightened and intelligent than the rest of us. The media for example would extol this class of intelligentsia as the “best and the brightest”. In my experience, however, this type of “enlightenment” is extolled from a platform whose pillars are supported by a relative few who legislate and adjudicate this elevation of lesser practices under a false sense of cultural advancement.

I do not infer that schools should be wholly or fundamentally religious in practice. However, simple acts such as recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance or school prayer is no longer part of the foundation of principles taught in schools as an extension of what is learned in the home. No substitute has ever been offered to teach these lessons and a void exists now in schools, this critical environment, because of unsubstantiated fears promulgated by the lesser sources of national policy. If a better way to teach these lessons exists, I would support it. I may not know the right answer, but the absence of action is rarely a cure. The absence of important guidance in such an essential part of our uniquely American experience will not be replaced by more useful or valuable surrogate if left to its own devices with character and personal responsibility now lost in the translation.

I needed the practice of faith and patriotism in my schools. These lessons led me to recognize of course that there are two kinds of faith. There is first the faith of religion and morals that I brought from home and church intertwined with another fundamental faith in basic abilities and promise of people. I do believe that each type of faith uplifts the other just as the legislated and cultural exclusion of either hinders what is left behind. I like to think of myself as a person of both faiths. I hope to continue to use the inherent strength of my personal values and convictions learned from my most trusted sources to help guide me in the most important decisions and events of my life. Wouldn’t it be nice if our government institutions like schools were able to help parents pass these lessons on to succeeding generations?

Just my thoughts.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer