Wanted: Position for Fat Accountant (must love baseball)

Edwards Kings

Wanted: Position for Fat Accountant (must love baseball)

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 am

I have been quiet (comparatively) on these Boards for a while. I have made some comments, but none of the essay length nonsense I normally put up. Please accept that this is not due to lack of interest, but rather due to the real world laying several johnny-kicks on me and my family. In the space of a few weeks, my wife lost her father (after a long illness), her uncle (also after a long illness), and for the coup de gras, I was laid off (again...was RIF'd now in both 2012 and 2013). This last one really hurt as someone I thought was a friend really threw me under the bus (i.e. I cleaned up multiple messes to help him look good, and all of a sudden I was superfluous headcount...nice).

So begins a trek to get my wife through the emotional memorial services, funerals as well as being forced to be in close proximity to her cloven-hooved sisters (no small challenge as all of them are crazier than a shit house rat). Oh yes, and I have to find a job during the holiday's. Nice.

As such, I have barely allowed time to read-in here, much less contribute. I have always enjoyed these boards and liked to provide content from time to time, if for no other reason as to provide two perspectives. One, the lovable loser (love fantasy baseball, love the NFBC, and a long history beginning in 2004 of just not getting it done). Second, I usually participate in only two or maybe three contests (I just do not think it would be fun to be in a dozen leagues nor would I ever commit the time), so I guess I fall into the class of long-time but limited contest users. These boards are rightly dominated by the guys who can be considered real super-users. The big spenders of the high-stakes community. A little warning here as we do not want to freeze out the casual user, not even unintentionally.

Anyway, we are finally coming out from under the black cloud. Starting with my daughter coming home for Christmas (she is a sophomore at UGA), we were able to have our complete family unit together for what may become a rare event (no telling where her career will take her in a few years and my son starts college next fall). I swear, though my kids are 19 and 17, if I came home tomorrow and they were 5 and 3, I would have no problem dropping right back into that routine. I am looking forward to being an empty nester, but I love having my "kids" home too.

So we finally started feeling a little better except Dad doesn't have a job. I was chasing a couple of opportunities and New Years Eve I received an offer letter on a position I am really excited about. Long story short (too late), I start tomorrow at First Data as a Director in their Finance organization. Nice timing for a good new year.

We share good times and bad here, one of the unique things about these boards. I was hesitant to share to bad before I had some good, so that is one of the main reasons I haven't been around. I will have fewer distractions and I have a lot of catching up to do. Stay tuned for the occasional brain-burp as I "discover" juicy items for my prep. Not sure with the new job which venue I will be attending, but I plan to sign up soon.

The role I am taking is transitioning from Denver to Atlanta, so very quickly I will be spending some time in the Mile-High City. If there are any friends out there in Denver who might want to have a cocktail or ten (not sure yet which hotel I will be staying in), reach out here. I will post my travel plans when I get them and we can have our own hot-stove hoedown.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

KJ Duke

Re: Wanted: Position for Fat Accountant (must love baseball)

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:53 pm

Congrats Wayne, but they're not "drinking" their cocktails anymore in Denver. :D

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:36 am

KJ Duke wrote:Congrats Wayne, but they're not "drinking" their cocktails anymore in Denver. :D
Thank you!

I forgot...from Rocky Mountain High to REALLY Rocky Mountain High! Want to go in with me on the "Next Door to You-Know-What" pizza franchise? :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Wayne,

Sorry to hear about the losses in your family. Congratulations on finding what sounds like a great opportunity and best of luck to you with your new company and position.

Matt
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks Matt!
Charles Krauthammer

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 am

Things always have a way of working themselves out. Good luck with everything.

Krys

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 am

Thanks Krys!

By the way, I will be in Denver next week and staying at the Marriott Tech Center (Syracuse Ave I think), so if anyone is in the area, let me know here and we will see if we can talk a little baseball.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:36 am

Just discovered this.
Best of luck, Wayne.
I lost a good friend and my former baseball coach who was more of a father to me than my Dad this past year. Tough time.
To have losses and a job loss is a true test for sure, but it looks like you are coming out of it very well.
I live about 250 miles from Denver, but try to get around there once a year. Maybe we can meet there sometime.
I know that Bob Mazur (spartacus) lives in that area and would be happy to see you. Like you, another NFBC gem.
Again, best of luck, Wayne.

Dan
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!