No SP Strategy working like a charm in NL Auction 2

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:37 pm

Bayes Diamonds Dudes and Hankerchiefs. Both employing a version of the No Starters Method are tied for the lead today in Vegas $1250 NL Auction 2.

"The Dudes" are doin' it with with the following Studs. Anthony Pannone, Julio Pavon, Brian Stirm, and Jason Waddell. All are in the SF system.

The Desperados ESPECIALLY! hate to see a "DUDE!!" winning. Hankerchiefs is rumored to be set to hand out "Crying Hankys" to those in the NFBC pressing for an innings minimum. I say "Great Gaming".

P.S. The Desperados hate to see anyone but them win!!
"All of Life is part of the Divine"---Ancient Hindu saying

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:46 am

Kevin, please realize that Ken Bayes also paid $28 for Barry Bonds in that league and has worked his butt off to fill in for that loss. He also took Brian Fuentes in the reserve round to go along with Braden Looper and Trevor Hoffman, two closers he was criticized for taking. It's one thing to go with this strategy and another thing to win with it, especially when you lose a $28 player.

As for Hank, his first player was Ken Griffey at $12 and he quickly added Pat Burrell at $18 and Brady Clark at $9. His closers are Billy Wagner at $29 and Guillermo Mota at $29, although he did add Chris Reitsma at $1.

I think both guys are working hard within the rules to win this league. Again, I have less of a desire to put high minimum innings pitched rules in place for the auction leagues as it allows people to try different strategies in single payout leagues. If this is the winning strategy in 2005, then let's see how it works in 2006 when others duplicate it. Having two people try the same strategy in the same league is tough, but let's give them some credit for keeping those teams in the running all year long for money finishes despite having tough luck just like everyone else.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:29 am

Lighten Up Greg. Your're mistaking the tone of my post. There's fact, Humor and tongue in cheek comprising that note.

"Great Gaming" means super job. Nobody knows better than me the job they've done, We're chasing them. Besides that-- They TOTALLY!! fooled me in pulling it off. I had no clue as what they were doin' until it was well over. I'm glad that Auction was on Friday night 'cause we (Thank you Mr. Daltry) didn't get fooled again. Being aware of the no SP stategist really helped on Saturday in the Draft when others tried it. But they Horn-swoggled me on Friday--That's for sure.

As far as innings requirement- whatever YOU decide is best is fine with me. But if you want to thwart the No/SP guys and make it more like Baseball and less Fantasy a 900 inning minimum is the least you shouls go for. Anything less is a half measue.

How about a 1700 inning minimum???

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:31 am

I"M KIDDING GREG!! LOL

(About the 1700 innings. Could you imagine LOL)

JohnZ

Post by JohnZ » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:46 am

End all of these debates by adding IP and OBP as categories.

That would deflate overvalued cats of saves and SB.

Let's test baseball knowledge, not gamesmanship.

Leaderboard Sports

Post by Leaderboard Sports » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 am

Originally posted by UFS:

End all of these debates by adding IP and OBP as categories.

That would deflate overvalued cats of saves and SB.

Let's test baseball knowledge, not gamesmanship. Baseball knowledge is not what fantasy sports is all about. Gamesmanship is. Getting more points than the other teams playing against you has been the object from the beginning. Any strategy, LIMA, middle infielders, punt saves, balanced team, or whatever is gamesmanship and generally has more to do with fantasy sports success than knowledge. If you want to play Trivial Pursuit Baseball then knowledge would be paramount and while knowledge is very important in Fantasy Sports, most everyone in these leagues all have access to the same knowledge so you better have a good game plan as well or you're doomed to middle of the pack.

[ August 08, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Leaderboard Sports ]

BorderBrat

Post by BorderBrat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:10 am

Other ideas for 6th categories to add for a 6 by 6 format:

OPS - combines OBP and SLG%. The trouble with OBP by itself is that most of that percentage is the BA, which is itself already a category, and so would double emphasize BA. All you're really adding in is the walks component. OPS also adds value to doubles and triples hitters which are overlooked in fantasy currently.

Holds - How about this relatively new and obscure category - it gives the middle relievers their own category bringing a whole mostly ignored class of player into the mainstream while diluting the effect of saves.

IP is just giving credit for appearances - not quality - might as well make games played a category.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:39 pm

The money I saved on pitching was promptly thrown away trying to run the bid up on Bonds who I didn't want at all but that's part of the fun of an auction, trying to keep others from getting bargains.

The no start strategy has worked because it wassn't widely used this year, next year with several teams trying it, winning ERA, Whip, and saves will be near impossible and overpaying for closers and setup men will negate any savings on money. It should be interesting next year to see how long teams try to stick with the strategy when they see several others doing the same and starting pitchers being bought under value.

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:35 am

Nothing worse then pushing up a price and getting caught.IN my home league went 35 on r johnson fiquring he would go at least 40, well i got him at 35 and he's been worth about 15. IN the newyork auction he went 43, weird how the prices can be off that much.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:33 am

Originally posted by :

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT BAYE'S BLOW ON BONDS SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR THE NO STARTER APPROACH.....HE GAVE UP MORE THAN 10% OF HIS BUDGET AND STILL IS IN A STRONG POSITION TO WIN,(THAT IS IF THE OTHER ALL R/P STRATEGY DOESN'T CATCH HIM)........ THE INNINGS PITCHED CONTROVERSY GOES TO THE CORE OF FANTASY SPORTS, AND MY THOUGHTS ARE THAT THE ALL R/P STRATEGY IS MORE FANTASY AND LESS BASEBALL IT'S CHALLENGING ENOUGH PUTTING YOUR TEAM TOGETHER WITHOUT THE ADDED BURDEN OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT JUST WHICH GAME YOUR OPPONENTS ARE PLAYING.....EVEN AFTER USING THE ALL R/P APPROACH, I SUPPORT A 900 MIN INNINGS PITCHED REQUIREMENT. IT JUST SEEMS TO ME THERE'S MORE EMPHASIS ON BASEBALL,LESS ON MANIPULATION.......WHAT A GREAT CONCEPT!!!BASEBALL ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. This would be because you see an innings minimum in professional sports or because your artificial use of 5 OF doesn't concern you or that 2 catchers behind the plate seems okay? Dude, the game is NOT the same - to make comparisons 'because it's more like the game' or 'less like the game' really have no use.

Although a game with 5 OF and an extra middle infielder, 2 catchers an extra corner sounds pretty cool to see on the field!

D
Just Some Guy

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:43 am

I see those extra players every time I play "Beer Ball". They may not be there, but I see them....

SP Strategy, No SP Strategy, Balanced Approach...

Innings requirement...no Innings requirement....

No Difference!

Set the rules, play the game.

If someone in my league tries the no SP/Low Inninings strategy, I get SP cheap...in other words I can adapt my strategy. I do not believe a team or a group of teams adapting a particular strategy provides any other team or league with any more of an advantage than any other luck of the draw (i.e. how may "pros" versus "dimwits" are in your league) type item.

Somebody ignores pitching...adapt.

The league is going through a closer run...adapt.

SS is a thin position...adapt.

All part of the game. Not to try to sound Zen or anything, but if a majority of my brethren want a minimum innings, I will go along. However, having it or not will not make playing the game (poorly by me this year) any more or less fun for me. I am also fine with the way it is.

Does that make me flexible or wishy-washy? :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:20 am

Originally posted by :

THIS WOULD BE BECAUSE IN REALITY, THERE IS AN INNINGS PITCHED MINIMUM.....IT'S 9X30X162 PLUS MANDATED BONUS CANTOS, MINUS WEATHER CAUSED CANCELLATIONS. WE HAVE A STRUCTURE OF 5 OF ETC TO KEEP US MORE IN REALITY......IF NOT WOULDN'T 22 OFFENSIVE AND 3 R/P WORK WELL......THE CONTROVERSY SEEMS CLEAR....DO YOU LIKE MORE OR LESS FANTASY WITH YOUR BASEBALL. Well, that is unless the home team is up and they don't bat in the bottom of the 9th, right?

Regardless, I don't see how you view any innings issue any more or less fantasy than 5 OF. You seem to argue that some fantasy is okay but innings pitched fantasy is over the top for you.

Personally, I don't care if there is or is not a minimum innings... but please don't argue that 2 catchers seems fine but anyone not using a full pitching staff is just too far out there...

Dyv
Just Some Guy

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:21 am

Edward - I think you left a trail of squishy over here...
Just Some Guy

mdz129

Post by mdz129 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:01 am

I tried the all RP strategy in the AL 650 league and I'm currently 1st by .5. I've found the system can work well in auction leagues and not very well in drafts. I'm currently #278 in the draft league.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:03 am

Remember, the point here is the usage of inactive players to 'win' cateogries such as WHIP and ERA. I don't care if someone had an entire active set of 9 pitchers (closer, MR, or SP), but the reality is people are 'winning' categories that they aren't really competing in. To 'WIN' a category (i.e. get the most points), it seems only FAIR that the people who actually had players that competed in those categories get judged!!!

Spy

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:53 pm

Originally posted by :

DYV.......DO YOU PREFER MORE OR LESS FANTASY WITH YOUR BASEBALL????? I THINK THAT BASED ON YOUR PARTICULAR WAY OF THINKING - IF I UNDERSTAND CLEARLY ENOUGH HOW IT WORKS - THAT I WOULD HAVE TO SAY I LIKE MORE FANTASY WITH MY BASEBALL.

IT TOOK ME A LITTLE WHILE TO UNDERSTAND HOW AN ANCIENT WARRIOR HAIR STYLIST WOULD COMMUNICATE.

Dyv
Just Some Guy

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:54 am

LOL, took me a second to realize how BARBERIAN had spelled his name, I almost cried laughing so hard on your post

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:41 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:

quote:Originally posted by :

DYV.......DO YOU PREFER MORE OR LESS FANTASY WITH YOUR BASEBALL????? I THINK THAT BASED ON YOUR PARTICULAR WAY OF THINKING - IF I UNDERSTAND CLEARLY ENOUGH HOW IT WORKS - THAT I WOULD HAVE TO SAY I LIKE MORE FANTASY WITH MY BASEBALL.

IT TOOK ME A LITTLE WHILE TO UNDERSTAND HOW AN ANCIENT WARRIOR HAIR STYLIST WOULD COMMUNICATE.

Dyv
[/QUOTE]ROTFLMAO!!! You are too much, hilarious!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:01 am

lol - I appreciate being appreciated ;)
Just Some Guy