New York For 2006

Greg Ambrosius

New York For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:32 am

I'm interested in some feedback from those who likely will be drafting in New York this March. We have had our last three events at the New York Hilton in Manhattan and I have a deal in place to return there for baseball in 2006. However, I understand the costs of going into the city for the draft and I've started to look outside of the city for a draft venue.

One spot is the New Jersey Convention and Exposition Center, which is just off the New Jersey Turnpike. I'm not from that area, so someone let me know if going that way is better or worse than finding something in New York City. I'm more interested in the logistics for our members rather than the costs involved, so either option will work for me.

Provide any feedback you can as I'd like to settle on a spot in the next two weeks and I can finalize either one right now. Thanks everyone.

Also, I'll have an answer on Tampa in the next week as we have some meetings scheduled here for that. I have a good plan in place for Tampa, but we'll just have to see if that makes sense for 2006 or one year later. Stay tuned.

I'll provide a link soon with some rules proposals for 2006 and seek feedback there as well. Look for that thread soon.

Finally, all of the W-9s went out to teams who are in contention for league prizes. When you get those, mail them back ASAP or fax them to 715-445-4087 and put to my attention. If we get your W-9 by the end of the season, you'll get your winnings right away. My goal is to mail out the checks starting Wednesday, Oct. 5th to owners who have sent back their W-9s. Thanks everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Moneymaker

New York For 2006

Post by Moneymaker » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:20 am

I vote for New Jersey. For me, it would cost less and it would be an easier commute.
2005 NFBC Champion

viper

New York For 2006

Post by viper » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:37 am

When everything is added up, a night in NYC is over $400 and then there is transportation. Unless you make the Vegas trip, you essentially come to draft. NJ would be fine and less expensive.

Gordon Gekko

New York For 2006

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:14 am

i will follow the lead of mr moneymaker. NJ it is

la Jolla

New York For 2006

Post by la Jolla » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:55 am

Greg, please do not consider the NJ Expo and Convention Center. It is way down the NJ Turnpike and in the middle of nowhere. I really like the excitement of being in New York City at the Hilton. But if we are ever to move into Jersey, a much more convenient place for people close to New York City is the Meadowlands Convention Center in Secaucus (right by Giants Stadium)

Greg Ambrosius

New York For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:24 am

Originally posted by lajolla:

Greg, please do not consider the NJ Expo and Convention Center. It is way down the NJ Turnpike and in the middle of nowhere. I really like the excitement of being in New York City at the Hilton. But if we are ever to move into Jersey, a much more convenient place for people close to New York City is the Meadowlands Convention Center in Secaucus (right by Giants Stadium) Since we sent out the NFBC newsletter today, the response has been stronger for us to remain in Manhattan. The Hilton has been good to work with, but we are limited to 8-9 leagues in the space they have available for us. That concerns me. I am looking at other options, but it's tough.

Yeah, we looked at the Meadowlands Convention Center as they have card shows there. I'm still trying to get space availability from them.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Quahogs

New York For 2006

Post by Quahogs » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:01 pm

Greg,

one thing to keep in mind is you'll be eliminating public transportation. We're probably only talking 5% but there may be some manhattanites without cars / people from jersey/LI needing to take a train in.

Q

devilznj

New York For 2006

Post by devilznj » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:20 pm

Another vote for NJ. Lots of locations right around Giants Stadium which should be easily accessible to NY, NJ, PA, CT and New Englanders.
Happy Recap

nydownunder

New York For 2006

Post by nydownunder » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:25 am

I think Manhattan is the logical choice because of the hub and spoke transportation available into and out of Manhattan. I am sure there are players outside the 60 mile radius of manhattan that would 'pack it in' if if were moved to a more remote area. Some examples would be people from Baltimore or Boston.

As for the costs of those coming into the city....if you can dole out $650-1,250 for a Fantasy Baseball League, then surely you can handle the additional costs. If costs are an issue, stick with Yahoo leagues.
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Cellar Dwellers

New York For 2006

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:32 pm

Suggesting to switch from New York City to Jersey, would be like switching from Vegas to Henderson, NV. C'mon, are you kidding??? The only place in Jersey that would make sense in place of NYC would be Atlantic City.

la Jolla

New York For 2006

Post by la Jolla » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:52 am

agreed on your analogy...but if it's between atlantic city and vegas...anyone from northern jersey or new york will fly to vegas before going to that hell hole...

Greg Ambrosius

New York For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:12 am

Originally posted by Cellar Dwellers:

Suggesting to switch from New York City to Jersey, would be like switching from Vegas to Henderson, NV. C'mon, are you kidding??? The only place in Jersey that would make sense in place of NYC would be Atlantic City. Good one Andy! I don't see a move to Atlantic City, that's for sure. But I do want to make sure I'm at a hotel/convention center that can accommodate more leagues each year and still be an ideal location for all of our East Coast members. I should have something soon, but I think thus far the over-riding sentiment is to stay somewhere in New York City.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

JerseyPaul

New York For 2006

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:57 am

The Expo Center will be difficult for those who don't want to drive or are coming by plane, train, or bus to NY for the draft.

Regional bridge tournaments are held at the Crowne Plaza hotel in the Meadowlands. It is a 15 minute bus ride from Port Authority. The Crowne Plaza and other similar hotels are available at very affordable rates for the weekend stay. The bus provides easy access to other activities in NY.

[ September 22, 2005, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

Greg Ambrosius

New York For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:45 am

Yeah, the Meadowlands Convention Center is 3.5 miles from the city, but it is booked for March 18th. That was a viable option otherwise. There are some hotels around there, but I'm not sure any have one main ballroom of 15,000 square feet or more. I'll keep looking, although a return to the Hilton looks more likely now as we have the contract in place.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

eddiejag

New York For 2006

Post by eddiejag » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:52 am

It's taken me 2 years to finally no how to get to the hilton . Being in the big city is a lot of fun for my kid's and me. I ALSO love walking around NY hanging out with all the crazies.Im a creature of habit , and im happy with knowing what to expect. I no the money issue is tough , but still worth it , being in the city.

EDDIEJAG AND HIS ENTOURAGE
EDWARD J GILLIS