Johan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenneration X

Johan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:51 pm

ToddZ

Re: Johan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ToddZ » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm surprised they let you out of police custody so fast so you could post this.

2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:29 pm

As a life long Mets fan, probably like you Glenn, I never thought it would actually happen.. 8020 games and 50 years, for it to be Johan, it couldn't have been a more perfect accomplishment. Unless you are a Mets fan, I don't think you understand the craziness about this streak. The Mets, having so many great pitchers through the years, yet never having a no-hitter. But so many former Mets pitchers, getting no hitters elsewhere, like Ryan, Seaver, Gooden, etc....

Mike Baxter sacrificing his shoulder with a great catch, will be the untold story from this great accomplishment.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:53 pm

One tough, hard working, Great guy! Congrats Johan! You are a class act and great example for other players and any fan!

mlbbug

Post by mlbbug » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Glenn, congrats to you and of course to Johan and the Mets. I am truly happy for you and the rest of the Mets fans that have waited 50 years for this first no-hitter :D :D

Rich McCormick
Astoria,NY

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:51 am

Great catch by Baxter... Hope he is ok.

How about the couple of almost collisions on fly balls... One in shallow LF and then the other in the IF....
Heard last night too that 4x (3x?) Carlton took a no-no into the 9th for the Mets but never was able to pull it off. All I care about is my team's 9 game winning streak right now but any no hitter deserves the spotlight.

Now it's only Padre fans waiting for their team's first no hitter.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:12 pm

As a life-long, die-hard Mets fan, I found myself overwhelmed with emotion last night as I listened to both Howie Rose's call on WFAN and then Gary Cohen's call on SNY which are sure to become instant classics in the pantheon of New York sports broadcasting history. In an era of nearly unbearable, homer broadcasters who are low on impartiality, low on technique, and low on talent, it was inspiring to hear a couple of consummate professionals who know and love the game and call it with such fairness and finesse each night, who are also life-long fans of the Mets themselves, get to have their moment of unbridled jubilation calling this historic moment in Mets and baseball history. I made sure that my sons were both listening as they were in their beds and I explained to them the significance of what was happening so that someday they would hopefully reminisce on the night their dad kept them up past their bedtime to hear how history was made, and remember how happy dad was in that moment with them. It is truly a great day to be a Mets fan after not having felt that way for a long, long time. I even took my Santana jersey out of moth balls and have been wearing it in tribute to a player that exemplifies how the game should be played and all the qualities befitting of a true professional and a "gamer" the likes of whom are fast becoming a dying breed in today's era of major league baseball...
Last edited by Baseball Furies on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 pm

My 9 year old and 7 year old boys stayed up and watched the game with me and I told them afterwards that when they grow up they will remember watching this game with their dad, probably as much as any moment in their childhood. They didn't completely get the enormity of the moment but they did see me get emotional as I replayed Howie Roses call over and over again after finding on you tube, his call with the video. As I said before and how Michael so eloquently described, as a life long suffering Mets fan, last night and 1986 go down as the best moments I have had as a Mets fan. I do understand that, if you are not a Mets fan, you might wonder why its such a big deal, but as Michael and Glenn and I can attest, the irony of last night against Wainwright and Molina and Beltran, and the heartbreak of 2006, it was all so appropriate for it to happen like it did last night, for the ultimate professional Johan Santana who will now go down in Mets history for hundreds of years to come.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:37 pm

BK METS wrote:My 9 year old and 7 year old boys stayed up and watched the game with me and I told them afterwards that when they grow up they will remember watching this game with their dad, probably as much as any moment in their childhood. They didn't completely get the enormity of the moment but they did see me get emotional as I replayed Howie Roses call over and over again after finding on you tube, his call with the video. As I said before and how Michael so eloquently described, as a life long suffering Mets fan, last night and 1986 go down as the best moments I have had as a Mets fan. I do understand that, if you are not a Mets fan, you might wonder why its such a big deal, but as Michael and Glenn and I can attest, the irony of last night against Wainwright and Molina and Beltran, and the heartbreak of 2006, it was all so appropriate for it to happen like it did last night, for the ultimate professional Johan Santana who will now go down in Mets history for hundreds of years to come.

Great Stuff BK watching that with your sons. You are right, they will always remember that night with you!

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Damn Yankees ended Santana's no-hit bid early........... :cry:
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Maybe there'll still be a no-no though.....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I jinxed that one....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I jinxed that one....

:D
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I hate to burst your NY bubble, but too bad it wasn't a "true" no-hitter, it should have an * next to Johann's name as that ball definitely hit the line yet was called foul. And how many walks did he give up? Probably the weakest no no in MLB history.

Signed - A Chicago fan! :mrgreen:

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Weakest no-no in history? Wow, not even close. You obviously have some preconceived notions here.

Johan walked 5 last Friday. Is it that hard to look up?

2001 - AJ Burnett walked 9 in his no-no. Not that should surprise anyone here.

1990 - Andy Hawkins throws a no-no for the Yankees vs. the White Sox; and loses the game 4-0. He walked 5 as well.

The list is longer of teams that threw a no-no and lost the game. Even if one was not impressed with Johan last weekend, at least he won the game!
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey