Bourn (less than) Supremacy

Edwards Kings

Bourn (less than) Supremacy

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 am

I give up. I have no clue where Michael Bourn will land. Any good guesses? Has Boras finally put his foot in it?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Wolfpac

Re: Bourn (less than) Supremacy

Post by Wolfpac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:42 am

I think the union will work with MLB and get the Mets 11th pick exempt at that point I think the Mets end up signing Bourn

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 am

Wolfpac wrote:I think the union will work with MLB and get the Mets 11th pick exempt at that point I think the Mets end up signing Bourn
The problem with that is, the guy wants 5 years and a lot of money. The Mets offered 2 years and not so much money. I dont think they are going to be anywhere close. The Mets need a speed outfielder desperately... any outfielder, for that matter... but I don't see it happening with Bourn. I truly hope I am wrong. He's not great, but he is what the Mets need.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm

Wolfpac wrote:I think the union will work with MLB and get the Mets 11th pick exempt at that point I think the Mets end up signing Bourn
You could certainly be right. This new process (making qualified offers to FA and getting draft picks as compensation) has only been around one year and is certainly making it tougher (Bourn and Lohse). Offering an exclusion this early pretty much would set a precedence that would make the new process less meaningful. What would the Braves get as compensation, I wonder?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

They would get a pick created out of thin air at the end of the 1st. We will see how this all breaks out. Bourn does want 5 years mets will not give him that but they could go 3-4, knowing that they're window for competition begins in 2015. If not Bourn I could see them trying to work out a deal with Oakland perhaps.

As far as Bourn goes, I think Texas might jump back in with questions surrounding Cruz now. As far as Lohse that's a tough one.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Not sure where Bourn is going, but I just grabbed him in the eighth round of a draft championship league. When you rely on speed, I'm not sure the ballpark matters much, although a good lineup will help. You know he'll be leading off wherever he goes. Unless he winds up in Miami (which is not happening), he should be able to score 90-100 runs. Actually, what I'm kind of rooting for is that he is forced to take a one-year deal, gets pissed-off and steals 75 bags.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 am

Peter Gammons said this morning on MLB Network that there is growing support for making sure the intent of the "bottom ten teams have their first round pick protected" which would allow the Mets to sign Bourn and give up their 2nd and the associated slot money. He also said the Mets would likely give Bourn four year which would give Boros the option of looking for a higher dollar one year deal or taking the four year deal.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 pm

And Rosenthal said the opposite. That a bad precedent would be set. A battle of the writers!

I know arguments will be made about how much more valuable Michael Bourn is than say, Chone Figgins.
But no way I give a judy a four year contract.
Just me.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm

I think it is time for Bourn to give Boras his pineapple.

Charles Krauthammer