$$$ Wacha $$$

Bronx Yankees

Re: $$$ Wacha $$$

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:Too late too tout.... ;)

I saw him go for over $100 to over $400 in my leagues
The first time this cheapskate bid over $250 for a player.
My cherry is broke....and It only took nine years :D
Dan - Have to ask ... did you break your cherry because:

1) your thinking/strategy has changed and you now view FAAB differently than in years past?

2) your $250+ bid was dictated by the circumstances of that particular league (desparate need for SP, lots of money left to spend)?

3) your opinion that Wacha is so good and/or better than the other up-and-comers earlier this year and in years past?

4) all of the above?

Just curious. Thanks.

Mike

Many are going to find this answer to simple.
It's not about the money. I'm a cheap bastard and usually spend FAAB money like it's my own.
It's the player and feelings towards him.
I was gushing over Wacha to a friend and partner in spring training. He was simply the best pitcher at spring training.
I told him we have to have this guy for 2014.
Now, we all measure spring training differently. I look at it like AAA having a party for major leaguers. It's a party and major leaguers don't have to be at their best. At the same time, they don't want to look like a AAA player either.
Wacha was impressive there. He made major leaguers look like AA hitters. In the minors they hit .187 against him.
He's the first player in nine years that I WANTED to throw a lot of money at.
If I had known the Cards would have needed him this soon, I would have taken him in 50 rounders, instead, I took Cingrani in those.
I have no great need at Pitcher on rosters. But, in my way of thinking, there was going to be no better pitcher coming the rest of the year on FAAB than Wacha.

For our purposes, he is with a great organization. One that wants to win. A great league. A great pitchers park. A great catcher. A great defense. And a good bullpen, since they've sent Boggs down. All too much to ignore.

I was in the 'tell all league' and somebody drafted Ogando, maybe it was me, I don't remember. But, I gushed about him for awhile and had replies like, 'his strike out rate is good' or something about his starting numbers, and I told these fellas,
'It's not about ratios or strike outs or any of that stuff!
He's hard to hit!
Simple as that. That is my first pre-requisite for drafting a pitcher. A pitcher has to be hard to hit.
And I believe Wacha is hard to hit.
Thanks for your answer. Makes sense to me. Also, you can't overstate the importance of the organization. I big aggressively for Cingriani in two leagues and snagged him in one. I thought he pitched really well, recognizing that he still needs an effective third pitch. I was pissed when he got sent down and of course blamed Dusty, although I have to confess that the way Leake has pitched this past month, perhaps it wasn't a terrible baseball decision. Although the Yanks are my team, theCards have the most impressive organization.

Good luck with your pickup.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Most important for me, pitching for St Louis is a big edge over Baltimore, and the Card's track record with young pitchers is hugely better. That made me more willing to spend on Wacha than Gaus. If Jake Westbrook can succeed in Stl, whatcan wachado?
This is the one factor where I completely agree that Wacha has a huge advantage over Gausman.

The Cards may be the best team at developing young pitchers and getting the best out of pitchers in general. Their ratio of success is truly outstanding. They can probably throw me out there challenging for the Cy Young (OK, that might be a slight stretch, but you get my point. :))

The success rate of the O's is obviously far worse. It wasn't that long ago that they were being touted for having a quartet of ace arms in Matusz, Tillman, Arrietta, & Hernandez. Three ended up being bullpen arms, one for another organization, and the last remaining starter in Tillman still hasn't reached the ceiling that many felt he once had. It seems like the O's haven't developed a pitcher on their own since Palmer. :shock:

Still, Gausman's arm and stuff are elite. Those kind of arms don't come around that often and Wacha doesn't have one of them.

We'll see how things work out. An interesting lot of prospect pitchers this season. One more will be up very shortly. One last start on the farm and then Wheeler gets called up to play Koosman to Harvey's Seaver (or visa versa). Either way, the future is extremely bright in Queens no matter what those non-believers on the SWEEP!!! thread might have to say. :P

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 pm

The time is coming soon for Wally World... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZxT9MHAJU

CASS

Post by CASS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Who's up next? the eye test never fails....

PGromek

Post by PGromek » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:39 pm

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 pm

CASS wrote:Who's up next? the eye test never fails....
Hehe. What does your "eye test" say about Zach Wheeler?

My eye test tells me that my decision to start Matt Moore was not so good. Amazing the hallucinations I have on Sunday nights when I set my line-ups...visions of Matt Moore shutting down Detroit a la Texas in the playoffs two years ago. Me eye test is not so good when clouded by delusions of grandeur. No wonder why I have like 12 pitching points in most of my leagues. I seemed to have unwittingly punted WHIP this year, a very dangerous category to punt since it correlates so well with good pitching. Sigh.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Billyhaze

Post by Billyhaze » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:42 pm

do we see Wacha back in the majors sooner than Sept?

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Billyhaze wrote:do we see Wacha back in the majors sooner than Sept?
Wacha will replace Tyler Lyons in the rotation before July 1st..

Meanwhile, another impressive outing tonight for Jose Fernandez against the best hitting team in the NL. :D