$$$ Jose Fernandez $$$

Ando

Re: $$$ Jose Fernandez $$$

Post by Ando » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:58 pm

rockitsauce wrote:
swampass wrote:
dont know why you have to be a dick about it. how long have you played in this contest? how many times do injuries happen and teams who have drafted the myers, taveras, cole, arenado, etc etc etc of the world have to drop them in order to fill holes? how many times have unknown rookies come up to bigs and be great players? how about starting pitchers who are coming back from TJ who nobody drafted? and are you saying that there are no interesting 7th or 8th inning guys who would make great closers if only a trade or injury occurs? ive played for 7 years and it happens every year, but i guess you were just so excited to give me the smack down you didnt think for more than 2 seconds you douchebag.
lighten_up.jpg

Rockit telling someone to calm down. Funny stuff! :lol:

Keep it real, DA.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:37 pm

As I said and will continue to say.. there is not going to be a free agent frenzy like this for the remainder of the year. Not saying that Jose will definitely be successful and payoff, but with the quirky rule not allowing owners to pick him up until week 3, along with the fact that no one figured he would make the opening day rotation, allowed nearly every league to have this guy available, made this a very unique situation. You can say that there will be a new guy next week, but not to this extreme. Who knows if he will be worth it, but I find it funny how all of these "experts" are criticizing those of us who picked him up in FAAB yet those will be the same guys chasing saves all year or picking up fliers all season with no better chance of winning. It's all a gamble and if you are good at team management, but more importantly, lucky, you can win picking up 8 guys in FAAB all season, or 50.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Ando wrote:
rockitsauce wrote:
swampass wrote:
dont know why you have to be a dick about it. how long have you played in this contest? how many times do injuries happen and teams who have drafted the myers, taveras, cole, arenado, etc etc etc of the world have to drop them in order to fill holes? how many times have unknown rookies come up to bigs and be great players? how about starting pitchers who are coming back from TJ who nobody drafted? and are you saying that there are no interesting 7th or 8th inning guys who would make great closers if only a trade or injury occurs? ive played for 7 years and it happens every year, but i guess you were just so excited to give me the smack down you didnt think for more than 2 seconds you douchebag.
The attachment lighten_up.jpg is no longer available

Rockit telling someone to calm down. Funny stuff! :lol:

Keep it real, DA.
c'mon Matt....I'm chill baby :mrgreen:
calmer than you are.jpg
cooool ranch doritos !
calmer than you are.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 5211 times
Always be closing.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Shaping up to be another bad outing for Fernandez today.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 pm

That shrinking ROI, and what's the excuse this time since it wasn't the Reds but the mighty Twinkies!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:That shrinking ROI, and what's the excuse this time since it wasn't the Reds but the mighty Twinkies!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Currently 39 degrees in Minneapolis. Damn cold compared to Miami. ;)
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Shaping up to be another bad outing for Fernandez today.
Not a 'bad' outing, but not good either. He seems to have spots where he loses concentration. That will probably come with age.
I don't own this kid anywhere, but I do like his ability.

And not an excuse for him, because I don't know how it affected him, if at all, but according to Minnesota broadcasters, Fernandez was set to start tonight's game, not today's.
This morning, Miami ownership called the Marlins Manager and TOLD him to switch Fernandez to the morning game.
They implied that both Fernandez and Nolasco were not happy with the last minute switcheroo.
I don't get why they would be telling on field management how to do their job.
But then again, it is Miami ownership.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:05 pm

5 IP, 4 ER and only 2 Ks. That looks pretty bad to me, Dan.

In his last two starts he's allowed 8 earned runs in 9 IP. The 6/9 K/IP ratio isn't strong either. I like him but Greg and I talked about him on our Sirius show last week and the issues we both were concerned about have come up:

1. The cap on his IP.
2. The Marlins lack of talent.

Both reduce his Wins potential. Even if he pitches well (like he did against the Phillies), his margin for error is so small that he needs to be almost perfect to win. And as we saw today if he struggles early the innings pitch limit will mean he'll get pulled and not get an opportunity to pitch long enough for his team to potentially rally.

Again, I like him but his last two starts have been poor in my opinion and I think Jeff's point about ROI is a legitimate one at the present time. Right now Fernandez isn't providing it. That doesn't mean he won't or can't but this is definitely a bad period for him and his fantasy owners right now. The question I'd have for Fernandez owners is are you going to stick with him when he should make two starts next week or will you play it safe and sit him until the results are more positive again?
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:5 IP, 4 ER and only 2 Ks. That looks pretty bad to me, Dan.

In his last two starts he's allowed 8 earned runs in 9 IP. The 6/9 K/IP ratio isn't strong either. I like him but Greg and I talked about him on our Sirius show last week and the issues we both were concerned about have come up:

1. The cap on his IP.
2. The Marlins lack of talent.

Both reduce his Wins potential. Even if he pitches well (like he did against the Phillies), his margin for error is so small that he needs to be almost perfect to win. And as we saw today if he struggles early the innings pitch limit will mean he'll get pulled and not get an opportunity to pitch long enough for his team to potentially rally.

Again, I like him but his last two starts have been poor in my opinion and I think Jeff's point about ROI is a legitimate one at the present time. Right now Fernandez isn't providing it. That doesn't mean he won't or can't but this is definitely a bad period for him and his fantasy owners right now. The question I'd have for Fernandez owners is are you going to stick with him when he should make two starts next week or will you play it safe and sit him until the results are more positive again?

I get it. I was talking more in terms of real baseball than fantasy. I know that he hasn't been delivering for those that made those huge bids on him.
And really, this is not the year to own him. This is the year to admire what probably will be in the future. Despite being with a lot better team, I see the same type of lax stretches for Cingrani as well.
Although Cingrani is lucky enough to have two home games vs. the Marlins and the Cubs to start his year :D

In a fantasy context, Fernandez is fool's gold. For baseball enthusiasts and future fantasy years, a beast is forming.
On my tombstone-

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote: And not an excuse for him, because I don't know how it affected him, if at all, but according to Minnesota broadcasters, Fernandez was set to start tonight's game, not today's.
This morning, Miami ownership called the Marlins Manager and TOLD him to switch Fernandez to the morning game.
They implied that both Fernandez and Nolasco were not happy with the last minute switcheroo.
Whoa! Has someone hacked Dan's account? :o

While not offering an excuse for Fernandez, this sure sounds like an excuse for Fernandez. I would have expected a post from Dan that went more like.............

---- Fernandez wasn't ready to pitch at Noon?? Too bad! There was a time when rookies were to be seen and not heard. Fernandez was scheduled to pitch Today. Today! Do we now have to get their pre-approval as to what Time they are ready to pitch?? Maybe we should check with Fernandez's agent to see if it's ok to pitch in temps under 40 degrees?

This is just another example of a post Marvin Miller, post Scott Boras world where even the 25th man on the roster must have his personal needs met before that player can give a full commitment to the team needs' --------

Whoever has taken over Dan's account, please return it and bring sanity back to the MB :D :D ;) ;)
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Navel Lint wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote: And not an excuse for him, because I don't know how it affected him, if at all, but according to Minnesota broadcasters, Fernandez was set to start tonight's game, not today's.
Whoa! Has someone hacked Dan's account? :o

While not offering an excuse for Fernandez, this sure sounds like an excuse for Fernandez. I would have expected a post from Dan that went more like.............

---- Fernandez wasn't ready to pitch at Noon?? Too bad! There was a time when rookies were to be seen and not heard. Fernandez was scheduled to pitch Today. Today! Do we now have to get their pre-approval as to what Time they are ready to pitch?? Maybe we should check with Fernandez's agent to see if it's ok to pitch in temps under 40 degrees?

This is just another example of a post Marvin Miller, post Scott Boras world where even the 25th man on the roster must have his personal needs met before that player can give a full commitment to the team needs' --------

Whoever has taken over Dan's account, please return it and bring sanity back to the MB :D :D ;) ;)

Not at all about Fernandez. Just in wonder at how an ownership as lowly thought of as the Marlins would pull strings from Miami to Minnesota.
Fernandez probably would have had close to the same game.
I'm just wondering if Loria had a hot date last night, so he could watch his 'new boy' pitch beforehand.
Can't think of another reason....
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote: I'm just wondering if Loria had a hot date last night, so he could watch his 'new boy' pitch beforehand. Can't think of another reason....
After watching a few episodes of the show following them thru training camp last season, I completely buy into it being something as meaingless and non-baseball related at that.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat May 04, 2013 6:52 pm

I think I speak for all the Fernandez (over)bidders when I say:

IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!

Oh, and to Marlins management, please shuffle your rotation to ensure that Fernandez pitches against the Phillies for the rest of your 2013 series.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I'd like my money back in the one league where i won him.

I think it's only a matter of time until he's back in the minors. Might as well delay service time until he's truly ready.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Pretty good recovery after a bad first 3 batters.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat May 11, 2013 6:57 am

Hells Satans wrote:I'd like my money back in the one league where i won him.

I think it's only a matter of time until he's back in the minors. Might as well delay service time until he's truly ready.
I'll trade you Cingrani's line last night for Fernandez's and I'll throw in a Hudson to even the score.
I'll let Greg know about our deal. ;)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 am

As a Fernandez owner I no longer have any illusions he'll be a great play each week. I'm just happy when he's respectable which he was on Friday. I'll take the win because I'm not sure when he'll get another one.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

Spending the money to get Fernandez has turned out to be one of the best moves of the year.

Any doubters at this point?

hstrout

Post by hstrout » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Wow, fun to watch this kid dominate hitters.

My $666 was money well spent.

Forget about Braun and ARod and smile while watching baseball!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:03 pm

Isn't it interesting that "Champ" and his posse of jokers aren't saying anything about the high bids on Fernandez, these days. Couldn't imagine why...

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Hells Satans wrote:I'd like my money back in the one league where i won him.

I am not in any leagues where I could have bid on Jose Fernandez, but I have him on my Minor League roster still in a Keeper League. Just reading back over the comments as I see this thread popped back up with Fernandez pitching like a young Doc Gooden!
Any word on whether Hells Satans dropped him or still wants his money back? :lol: Just razzing a bit, its been fun to watch this kid pitch his tail off and its great for baseball to have yet another young kid dazzle like this!
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:30 pm

BK METS wrote:Isn't it interesting that "Champ" and his posse of jokers aren't saying anything about the high bids on Fernandez, these days. Couldn't imagine why...
I think he has more than proven worth 400 + but I would still say whoever did that 900+ bid was insane