Draft Prep List

Glenneration X

Re: Draft Prep List

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 pm

mattjb wrote:As for the level playing field I will agree with comments made on the board a little while ago that the two breaks are a big advantage to the live drafters.
Matt Buddy, I draft quite a bit both online and live, and I can say wholeheartedly breaks are absolutely needed live but not online.

It's probably about a 15 second walk from the living room/den/office to the kitchen or bathroom in any drafter's home. Not so from the conference room to the restroom at the Hilton or Bellagio.

And if a drafter is worried about missing something while grabbing a drink or hitting the john in their home, they can always easily bring their laptop or smartphone with them to keep up. Live drafters can't drag the draft table, other drafters, and facilitators with them. And if they could, might be a bit awkward. :? :mrgreen:

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
mattjb wrote:As for the level playing field I will agree with comments made on the board a little while ago that the two breaks are a big advantage to the live drafters.
Matt Buddy, I draft quite a bit both online and live, and I can say wholeheartedly breaks are absolutely needed live but not online.

It's probably about a 15 second walk from the living room/den/office to the kitchen or bathroom in any drafter's home. Not so from the conference room to the restroom at the Hilton or Bellagio.

And if a drafter is worried about missing something while grabbing a drink or hitting the john in their home, they can always easily bring their laptop or smartphone with them to keep up. Live drafters can't drag the draft table, other drafters, and facilitators with them. And if they could, might be a bit awkward. :? :mrgreen:
I think we may be getting off topic here but each participant has multiple options to participate online or Live. The plusses and minuses are weighed by each participant.
Joe

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:20 pm

I would like one Online break after round 15.In all honesty, I would not use it for a potty break. I'd like to assess my draft and think about things going forward as 'Live Drafters' have the opportunity to do....twice.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Ha fair enough. I haven't drafted live with NFFC/NFBC but I've done plenty of live drafts. For me the time is nothing to do with taking a piss it's just having time to gather your thoughts.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:25 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I would like one Online break after round 15.In all honesty, I would not use it for a potty break. I'd like to assess my draft and think about things going forward as 'Live Drafters' have the opportunity to do....twice.
I use the live draft breaks pretty much for smoke breaks. :oops: Online, I can do that on the deck with my laptop in tow so possibly I may not be looking at this as others are doing. If that's the reasoning behind the request, I suppose it makes sense.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:27 pm

I don't smoke.
My eyes do go cross eyed from staring at that damn screen though...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:48 pm

American Pickers wrote:I know this has been asked before, but is it not possible, with all of the technological advancements we have made in the 21st century, to have some sort of link on the Draft Prep page so that the Draft Prep list could be defaulted to a current ADP list? What I typically do is manually set the Draft Prep list to the current ADP list and then do my personalized 'tweaks' to the list from that point. But moving all of these players up and down the Draft Prep list manually is finger-numbing, monotonous, time consuming, subject to human error (mine!), and seemingly unnecessary--isn't eradicating this kind of problem what IT guys salivate over? As I am moving the 246th player of the day up 200 spots, then down 10 spots, then up three spots (and cursing under my breath with every keystroke) I can't help but think to myself that NFBC is forcing me to do penance for drafting my teams online.
I applaud the initial poster here not so much for the content but the fact that he brings up a legitimate point and debates it. I firmly believe that these boards are dominated by like minded thinkers (for good reason) and does not allow a minority voice to be heard, simply because he is new and has a different point of view, his voice is run over and drowned out in these parts. This does not allow the game or the boards to grow.

Everyone has their own agenda that fits the format and style that they have, based on some of their success and comfort zone. A new guy coming into these boards is like going to a Democratic convention and supporting the right to bear arms and abortion or to a Republican convention and supporting affirmative action and Obamacare. They have no chance.

The NFBC is left to decide if it's in the best interests in the growth of the game (which we all want) while keeping the faithful happy. A very tough and fine line they have to draw.

Ultimately this is not a big decision. It now becomes a bigger deal next year as folks ultimately try to influence the default list. It will probably have to go to a third party.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. In the long run Greg makes the decisions that best promote the game that we all love and I TRUST him with those decisions or I wouldn't play here. Plain and Simple.
Joe

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Yeah damn those that think the onlne draft experience should be more enjoyable and less time consuming, all that should matter is that the long time vets have an advantage over the newcomers and the ones that don't have endless hours to waste.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Bama wrote:Yeah damn those that think the onlne draft experience should be more enjoyable and less time consuming, all that should matter is that the long time vets have an advantage over the newcomers and the ones that don't have endless hours to waste.
What advantage is that Champ? I believe those arguing this point are actually only hoping to keep the playing field level and not give the advantage to the Online drafter. Where is the advantage for the long time vet or the live drafter?

By the way, I draft the Main both live and online, so I have no stake in this other than thinking the request is one of cutting corners.
Last edited by Glenneration X on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Bama wrote:Yeah damn those that think the onlne draft experience should be more enjoyable and less time consuming, all that should matter is that the long time vets have an advantage over the newcomers and the ones that don't have endless hours to waste.
You're not going to like this BAMA, bit I like the way you think!
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
What advantage is that Champ? I believe those arguing this point are actually only hoping to keep the playing field level and not give the advantage to the Online drafter. Where is the advantage for the long time vet or the live drafter?

By the way, I draft the Main both live and online, so I have no stake in this other than thinking the request is one of cutting corners.
Glenn, just out of curiosity, where do you think the initial default list should be derived from? You do know and acknowledge that there has to be one for the good of the game correct? There would not be 120 leagues and counting in the DC format without it. What is your solution?
Joe

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Oh... My.... GOD... There is no NFBC illuminati. There is no veteran vs new guy favoritism, coming from someone who is NEITHER. Greg and Tom make the decisions and everyone is heard, unlike other sites where the customer's voice means nothing. Most major changes are put to a vote. There are improvements that need to be made.. we all know that.. Most other sites use last year's stats. Maybe that would be a solution, but where should you place rookies and players that didn't play? The only solution is to do what they are doing and allow imported lists, since no other site is starting drafts in October/November and they are not going to continually change the default list to ADP. That is just ludicrous.

If Mark or Dan or Glenn say something, it doesn't mean that their voices are the only ones heard. The conspiracy theory is really getting old.
Last edited by BK METS on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:25 pm

BK METS wrote:Oh... My.... GOD... There is no NFBC illuminati. There is no veteran vs new guy favoritism, coming from someone who is NEITHER. Greg and Tom make the decisions and everyone is heard, unlike other sites where the customer's voice means nothing. Most major changes are put to a vote. There are improvements that need to be made.. we all know that.. Most other sites use last year's stats. Maybe that would be a solution, but where should you place rookies and players that don't play? The only solution is to do what they are doing, since no other site is starting drafts in October/November and they are going to continually change the default list to ADP. That is just ludicrous.

If Mark or Dan or Glenn say something, it doesn't mean that their voices are the only ones heard. The conspiracy theory is really getting old.
Nobody was suggesting a rotating default list. Relax and get a hold of yourself, it's a debate and one worth having, unlike many others on these boards. The old faithful rally around each other. It gets old.

Now come on Alan and jump into the 12 team Super. :D
Joe

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Money wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:

Glenn, just out of curiosity, where do you think the initial default list should be derived from? You do know and acknowledge that there has to be one for the good of the game correct? There would not be 120 leagues and counting in the DC format without it. What is your solution?
Joe, the first live draft I ever attended (which was also my first NFBC or high stakes draft of any kind), I was handed a blank roster sheet, a blank draft sheet, and player eligibility list. The player eligibility list was all I had for this purpose and honestly more than I expected to receive.

I didn't ask for a list of players listed by any particular value and didn't expect one. I came prepared to draft with nothing but what I brought with me. Why should the online drafts be any different?

Money wrote:I firmly believe that these boards are dominated by like minded thinkers (for good reason) and does not allow a minority voice to be heard, simply because he is new and has a different point of view, his voice is run over and drowned out in these parts. This does not allow the game or the boards to grow.
I'd also like to comment on this quote Joe. I've read things like this before on this board and on others and I honestly could not disagree more.

It wasn't that long ago that I was the new guy coming into this established contest with an established group of message board posters as I've only been here 5 of this contest's 11 years. As a new player, I was not shy about expressing my opinions. I never felt drowned out or run over. Sometimes my ideas were embraced, other times argued against, other times ignored. Like everyone else then and now, new or vet.

The thing about ideas and opinions is they belong to those who express them. That doesn't mean that others need to feel the same. If not, they may choose to express their own thoughts on the topic. That is debate, that is honest discourse, that is one of the roles of message boards.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Money wrote:
BK METS wrote:Oh... My.... GOD... There is no NFBC illuminati. There is no veteran vs new guy favoritism, coming from someone who is NEITHER. Greg and Tom make the decisions and everyone is heard, unlike other sites where the customer's voice means nothing. Most major changes are put to a vote. There are improvements that need to be made.. we all know that.. Most other sites use last year's stats. Maybe that would be a solution, but where should you place rookies and players that don't play? The only solution is to do what they are doing, since no other site is starting drafts in October/November and they are going to continually change the default list to ADP. That is just ludicrous.

Nobody was suggesting a rotating default list. Relax and get a hold of yourself, it's a debate and one worth having, unlike many others on these boards. The old faithful rally around each other. It gets old.

Now come on Alan and jump into the 12 team Super. :D
Read the original poster's request that the draft prep list should be defaulted to current ADP. That is what he is requesting. No one does that. Not even the big sites. They do last year's stats, at best. Drafts are continually going on from early November until April. The pre-set rankings are there from the beginning of November and the only thing that changes is adding new players such as rookies. If they choose to use rankings based upon last year's stats, that is fine, but by the time March comes along, that is really not worth much. The only solution is to import your own list.
Last edited by BK METS on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Not taking either side but I'd like to point out each owner can reset and reload the draft list on-the-fly.

I did it recently when adjusting my draft list to my desired rankings and was able to import it into my DC 59 draft room while the draft was in round 39.

To me this means if STATS wanted to reload the default list, they could. But from what Greg wrote I can see they don't want to and have the opinion they shouldn't need to.

Again, let's wait for the changes to be unveiled next week and then restart the discussion based on the most up-to-date information.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:42 pm

BK, with all due respect an option to import our own list or make the one they furnish more user friendly was all that was requested. Dont really see why the vets got all upset with this. Greg has stated that neither is going to happen so its a moot point now, As for GLenn not sure you can have a draft if the're not some kind kind of list to choose from.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh, and the REAL reason for not using ADP as the default draft list is so "lazy" uninformed drafters don't get FREE draft advice staring them in the face when they're on the clock.

Without ADP a significant number of newbies would have no idea who any of the players are that were placeholder picks in November.

It's why you don't discuss undrafted players in the draft room chat.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Ok Glenn, to your first point the game has evolved since then and to attract more participants it probably needs to be user friendly, how user friendly is probably up to the NFBC.

To your second point, I was trying to point out that a person new to the boards that has a dissenting opinion and is repeatedly told that he wrong is hard. You are a pretty articulate person and come off as well as anyone on these boards and rightfully so. Not everyone can express themselves so well and that includes me. I noticed that the initial poster only had a few posts and would love to see him stick around.
Joe

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Bama wrote:BK, with all due respect an option to import our own list or make the one they furnish more user friendly was all that was requested. Dont really see why the vets got all upset with this. Greg has stated that neither is going to happen so its a moot point now, As for GLenn not sure you can have a draft if the're not some kind kind of list to choose from.
Champ, I thought you were a vet? ;)

I think you and I see the request that was made differently. I don't think anyone is arguing the ability to import your own list. What is being argued is defaulting the given list to ADP. I see that as not requesting a more user friendly list, but asking for a guide, which I am against. Sorry I feel that way, but I do.

As far as providing a list, an alphabetical list by position or by last year's stats is a list. If someone wishes to sort it differently, they do have that option.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Money wrote:Ok Glenn, to your first point the game has evolved since then and to attract more participants it probably needs to be user friendly, how user friendly is probably up to the NFBC.

To your second point, I was trying to point out that a person new to the boards that has a dissenting opinion and is repeatedly told that he wrong is hard. You are a pretty articulate person and come off as well as anyone on these boards and rightfully so. Not everyone can express themselves so well and that includes me. I noticed that the initial poster only had a few posts and would love to see him stick around.
Joe, I would love him to stick around as well. We need new voices on these boards. However he came on strong with strong opinions, to which he is entitled. However those who disagree have the same right to express their dissent just as strongly.

Again, he, you, Ken, Matt, and others disagree with my thoughts here. That's fair. I won't be going anywhere. I didn't go anywhere when others disagreed with me strongly when I was new. I realized then as I do now, not everyone will always agree with me. Hopefully, new posters see things the same way and continue to express their thoughts, whether those thoughts are embraced or not.

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Money wrote:Ok Glenn, to your first point the game has evolved since then and to attract more participants it probably needs to be user friendly, how user friendly is probably up to the NFBC.

Joe, I would love him to stick around as well. We need new voices on these boards. However he came on strong with strong opinions, to which he is entitled. However those who disagree have the same right to express their dissent just as strongly.

Again, he, you, Ken, Matt, and others disagree with my thoughts here. That's fair. I won't be going anywhere. I didn't go anywhere when others disagreed with me strongly when I was new. I realized then as I do now, not everyone will always agree with me. Hopefully, new posters see things the same way and continue to express their thoughts, whether those thoughts are embraced or not.
Fair enough Glenn!

Now get your ass into the 12 team Super. It will fill, I would simply like to add beating you to my resume :D
Joe

Bama

Post by Bama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Still the same problem Glenn it takes too long to edit the list to make it usable. Maybe if you could get rid of the 800 guys that nobody drafts even in the 50 rounders would help but it not gonna happen so me thinking About doing another online or sat draft is probably not gonna happen either, always end up with one or 2 picks I don't want, f'n with the que or getting the shitty draft room to work right. the Adp is the only viable list I see Stats has so that was a logical place to start as it would take minimal time to get it usable but the vets are paranoid that the newbies could gain an advantage which I think is just total bullshit.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Money wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:

Fair enough Glenn!

Now get your ass into the 12 team Super. It will fill, I would simply like to add beating you to my resume :D
You already crushed my a$$ and everyone else's in that Super last year my friend!! No need to add another beating of me to your already impressive resume. Get Lindy and Childs in that thing. Beat them this season after taking out Juprinka last year and then you'll have the carnage of all three HOF's as notches on your belt. Now that'll be something to put in print. ;)

Money

Post by Money » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Glenneration X wrote: You already crushed my a$$ and everyone else's in that Super last year my friend!! No need to add another beating of me to your already impressive resume. Get Lindy and Childs in that thing. Beat them this season after taking out Juprinka last year and then you'll have the carnage of all three HOF's as notches on your belt. Now that'll be something to put in print. ;)
Ahhh… MtM was in that league which automatically negates any real world results. I'll keep the cash but it certainly diminishes any sense of accomplishment. :evil:
Joe