Plans for the 1st Annual Super Auction in NYC

Bama

Re: Plans for the 1st Annual Super Auction in NYC

Post by Bama » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:08 pm

Just gotta love tbe way Glenn butters everyone up before he kicks their ass. :)

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Bama wrote:Just gotta love tbe way Glenn butters everyone up before he kicks their ass. :)
We will see about that.. :D

Bama

Post by Bama » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:00 pm

BK METS wrote:
Bama wrote:Just gotta love tbe way Glenn butters everyone up before he kicks their ass. :)
We will see about that.. :D

Hehe. Im sure Dobies not gonna lay down either. Should be a fun one to watch.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 am

Glenneration X wrote:As much as I'm looking forward to the after party festivities (and trust me I can taste that steak now), it's not only an after party in my mind but an after thought as well. The reason isn't because it won't be a blast of a good time and Alan I do appreciate all you're doing to make sure it is one.

The problem is that it's hard for me to think past the Super Auction itself as that will be an event all its own, in fact THE EVENT of the first weekend (no matter what my good friend MtM might claim ;) ). For me personally, this auction will easily be the highlight of my New York weekend, as well as one of the events I most look forward to the entire draft season.

What makes it so compelling besides even the great format, the high stakes, or the big city setting is the insane competition. Among a roster of a dozen other experienced and accomplished auction drafters in their own right is last year's Overall Auction Championship winner and both Ultimate Auction champions (though one might have had more than a bit of dumb luck :? ).

Seriously though, what other draft or Auction brings accomplishments like that to the same table for a specific format that were both so rewarding and recent. This Auction will be a tremendous challenge and one that brings to me tremendous concern on my ability to perform against such brutal competition.

Still, I love a great challenge, and I love a great steak. It should be a great night. I cannot wait.
This is truly an amazing group of guys. When I initially saw the group, I immediately thought we had something special here. I only wanted to add a few perks to what is already going to be a great night. Can't wait!!!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:20 am

So as Alan alluded to, the plan is that we all assemble after these respective, phenomenal first weekend events (which are truly the highlights of the entire weekend by far (even though the MTM is much, much better, Lowy, you traitor :P ), and head out on the town for some drinks, great food, and great company. Ruth Chris Steak House is the destination which is walking distance just a few blocks away. We'll coordinate the logistics of this as we get closer to the the day of the events, but for now, I just want to get a head count including any significant others who may be joining us for this get together as well (although why they would want to do this, I have no idea :lol: ) so that I can make a reservation in advance. The kitchen open until 11:00 p.m. on Friday nights, and I'm going to look into a private dining room for all of us. So let me know as soon as possible.

-MTM
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Mikey, You might have a very un-happy restaurant staff if you bring about 25-30 people in at 10:45 or so , and they were getting ready to close. Never mind the kitchen crew who can't clean up because we are ordering all kind of food. I know because I work many years in those kitchens . Just saying check with management ahead of time for a late arrival. You might get some very rushed service or some pre-cooked steaks??????? I can't see the 2 drafts being done before 10:15-10:30, then have to get to the restaurant. Roy

Brock

Post by Brock » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:08 am

I'm in for Ruth Chris.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:20 am

Just curious....
Among you NY, NJ, eastern seaboard folks, who has the longest arm in reaching for a check?

Who has the shortest?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Just curious....
Among you NY, NJ, eastern seaboard folks, who has the longest arm in reaching for a check?

Who has the shortest?
That's easy: Longest, me. Shortest, everyone else. :lol:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 am

Baseball Furies wrote:

Who has the shortest?
True that MtM is very generous. Seen it first hand many times. But that's the surcharge of being The MOUTH. All those burned bridges to repair, feathers to smooth over... :lol:

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Quahogs wrote:
Baseball Furies wrote:

Who has the shortest?
True that MtM is very generous. Seen it first hand many times. But that's the surcharge of being The MOUTH. All those burned bridges to repair, feathers to smooth over... :lol:

Jupinka, you are correct. I actually do have an escrow account set aside just for these situations that is in reserve for "bridge repair", "feather unruffling", and the like. ;) And just so you know, I will also be bringing a crowbar with me the night of this event in order to assist you and others with the prying open of your respective wallets! :P :lol:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Mike,

I have found one sure way to unruffle feathers.... :)

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Okay, the planning is in full swing for the 3rd Annual MTM Super post-event festivities which are going to be held at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse just a few blocks away from the hotel at about 10:30 p.m. or so after we wrap up the draft. We're starting at 6:00 p.m. with the live KDS draw as is customary (shortly after my coronation as 2013 League Champion :mrgreen: ), so we should be drafting like 6:15-6:30 at the absolute latest. We will be joined by some of the participants who are drafting in the Super Auction that same night which should be wrapping up at about the same time. I will give everyone the logistics at the event itself, but for now, I need a head count (including guests if any) who will be attending. I have reserved a private room that seats about 30+ (we can go bigger if we need to), and there is a minimum, so the sooner you guys can let me know, the better if I haven't already heard from you. I will post an attendees list soon.

Here's what the room looks like:

Here's what the steak looks like:

And here's what you'll look like if you tell me you'll be there and don't show up and I'm left with paying the bill if we don't reach our guaranteed minimum:

Image :o :mrgreen:

Actually that's a picture of Magner after one steak too many again. :P :lol:

Just kidding...no way a picture of a guy that skinny could possibly be Sack Magner. :twisted: :lol:

(I posted this in the MTM thread as well)

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 am

"Ummm...yes...I am supposed to meet somebody named "Mike" here...something about a job in food service?"

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 am

"Yeah...I'm Mike...come on back. Hungry?"

Charles Krauthammer

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:"Yeah...I'm Mike...come on back. Hungry?"

Shit! Where did you dig up this old photo of me back in the day working at Bonanza? :lol:

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm

If you boys haven't been over to the MTM Super thread in a while, please check it out and confirm your participation in the combined post draft festivities of these two events. I would like to get as close to a final head count as possible. Thanks! 8-)

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 pm

The finals on the three course menu being submitted for all of us tomorrow. It's going to be good, boys! 8-) Now who else is in? And any takers on dessert options which I can have added in? We need at least 24 guaranteed, but at this point, I see no reason that we'll come in short on that number, but let me know anyway over on the MTM Super Thread. Thanks!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 am

Here is the trophy to be given to the auction champion winner. Look for some really cool "during" auction prizes as well. If you haven't responded to Mike as far as the after auction dinner, please do.. and if you want to bring a guest, that would be fine too. He is looking for spots.. I am going with my son.
Attachments
auction trophy.gif
auction trophy.gif (107.53 KiB) Viewed 4907 times

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:34 pm

since we are playing for BIG money this time, i wonder if there will be any of these moments after losing out on a key player...

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:52 am

NY'ers your day of reckoning is here

PS - thank you to the folks who have provided me Dobies and Greenberg's rosters from their many OLCs.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:35 am

Great time yesterday with ny friends yesterday. Thanks to alan for all the cool perks. The mitlof strategy is definitely one to talk about. Good luck all!

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:45 am

Awesome time with my NY friends.

I gotta say... This league is like the major leagues. All other auctions are like the minors

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:49 am

76erfan wrote:Great time yesterday with ny friends yesterday. Thanks to alan for all the cool perks. The mitlof strategy is definitely one to talk about. Good luck all!
I don't know if it's because if what miof did, but I was shocked at the amount of money left at the end. Many many guys going for more than the should have
Baez for $16
Carlos martinez for $10 I think