Kris Medlen owners, uh oh!!

ALL-IN JD

Kris Medlen owners, uh oh!!

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Kris Medlen was removed from his Grapefruit League start on Sunday with a possible elbow injury:

Medlen was spotted rubbing his elbow after his second-to-last pitch and then ran off the mound and into the clubhouse after his final offering. It certainly didn't look good, but we'll have to wait for official word from the Braves. Medlen missed nearly all of the 2011 season while coming back from Tommy John surgery

76erfan

Re: Kris Medlen owners, uh oh!!

Post by 76erfan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Early word is forearm strain

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Guess you are a Medlen owner!! :lol:

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:24 pm

nope actually i am not. LOL

just repeating what they are saying.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Not every forearm strains results in TJ surgery.

But I'm pretty sure every TJ surgery has initially started with a forearm strain diagnosis.

So, not good.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Got him in my auction. Oh well…

Let the draft board juggling begin… Fister and Medlen moving down draft boards in a hurry.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

ATL beat writers think its gonna be bad news. Medlen wouldn't talk to media.

Jeff could be right. Big blow. Wonder if they have late interest in Ervin Santana because of this.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:43 pm

No Santana. Just means those that gambled on Wood win the prize.
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Gates

Post by Gates » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Edwards Kings wrote:No Santana. Just means those that gambled on Woods win the prize.
And those who gambled on Garcia too....hmmm, nevermind
:o :shock:

Gaëtan
Go ahead, make my day...

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 am

Gates wrote:
Edwards Kings wrote:No Santana. Just means those that gambled on Wood win the prize.

Gaëtan
Those who gambled on Garcia would dabble honey on their gonads and go to picnic betting they would not attract ants. 8-) ;)

I think Garcia was always going to open the season as the fifth starter and Wood to the bullpen to limit his innings as well as be insurance against someone getting hurt until Floyd was ready to pitch.
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:31 am

Woods is a golfer.

Wood pitches for the Braves.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:48 am

Deadheadz wrote:Woods is a golfer.

Wood pitches for the Braves.
Corrected.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 am

Shows what I know. At least it is only one year and MAYBE Santana's elbow will hold up that long. Tells you what they really think about Medlen's elbow and Beachy's recovery.
Charles Krauthammer

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 am

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves 19m

#Braves Medlen said he knows what's coming, nothing official yet but he has accepted that he's almost certainly going to need TJ surgery

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:15 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Shows what I know. At least it is only one year and MAYBE Santana's elbow will hold up that long. Tells you what they really think about Medlen's elbow and Beachy's recovery.
We can say MAYBE about any pitchers elbow, right? :(

The Braves did the right thing in signing Santana.
'Depending' on Freddy Garcia and/or Gavin Floyd would be a Tony Siragusa way of going about winning a pennant.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Roger Dorn

Post by Roger Dorn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 am

Medlen said he knew he needed Tommy John surgery as soon as his final pitch Sunday left his hand.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:42 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Edwards Kings wrote:Shows what I know. At least it is only one year and MAYBE Santana's elbow will hold up that long. Tells you what they really think about Medlen's elbow and Beachy's recovery.

'Depending' on Freddy Garcia and/or Gavin Floyd would be a Tony Siragusa way of going about winning a pennant.
Yes, but you are implying that Ervin is only as risky in that department as any other pitcher. I do not believe that to be the case. I believe (right or wrong) that pitchers who throw sliders as much as he does are more prone to blowing out elbows.

Was it the right move? Yes. As soon as Beachy pulled up with a sore arm.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am

Roger Dorn wrote:Medlen said he knew he needed Tommy John surgery as soon as his final pitch Sunday left his hand.
I saw the pitch that I think was when the injury occurred. He threw a breaking ball, no contact, so he left the square position and was rolling and shaking his arm. Got a ground ball out on the next pitch. Walked off the back of the mound rubbing his elbow. Threw a fastball (nice looking actually) to the next batter for a strike. Threw a breaking ball next. Never really even squared. Just walked off the mound to the dugout and down the tunnel.

Damn shame. :cry:
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:

Yes, but you are implying that Ervin is only as risky in that department as any other pitcher. I do not believe that to be the case. I believe (right or wrong) that pitchers who throw sliders as much as he does are more prone to blowing out elbows.

Was it the right move? Yes. As soon as Beachy pulled up with a sore arm.

Not only implying it, but saying it.
Tommy John cannot be forecasted. It doesn't matter if one pitcher throws more sliders than another.
Sure, some say it is tougher on the arm. Each arm is different though.
Folks have been forecasting for years that Justin Verlander has too many innings and will either struggle or have Tommy John.

Its become a roulette game. This time the ball fell in Medlen's slot. Next time it could be Santana, but it could be somebody else too. Santana has four straight years of 30 starts. I have to believe going into the season that maybe his ligament is stronger than that of other hurlers.
Not signing a guy at the Major League level because of what 'could' happen would not be smart.
The Braves are smarter than that.
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:09 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:The Braves are smarter than that.
Smart enough to offer only a one year agreement. And other teams were smart enought not to bite when Santana wanted so many years. Kind of strange since Santana is so "reliable". ;)

Last I heard Toronto (desparate for pitching) only wanted to go three.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
Gates wrote:
Edwards Kings wrote:No Santana. Just means those that gambled on Wood win the prize.

Gaëtan
Those who gambled on Garcia would dabble honey on their gonads and go to picnic betting they would not attract ants. 8-) ;)

I think Garcia was always going to open the season as the fifth starter and Wood to the bullpen to limit his innings as well as be insurance against someone getting hurt until Floyd was ready to pitch.
Kind of harsh on Sweaty Freddy.

:lol:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 am

Edwards Kings wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:The Braves are smarter than that.
Smart enough to offer only a one year agreement. And other teams were smart enought not to bite when Santana wanted so many years. Kind of strange since Santana is so "reliable". ;)

Last I heard Toronto (desparate for pitching) only wanted to go three.
Personally, I would find it hard to give ANY pitcher a long agreement. Especially a pitcher who is not close to being elite like Santana
I am mystified that a guy like Ricky Nolasco gets a four year contract. And over pay him to boot.
A GM almost has to build a year of Tommy John into any long contract. That makes the Nolasco signing and others like it, even worse.
Santana wanted a one year deal. That it is with the Braves instead of the American League makes it even better for him.
Next year, maybe he is 'Nolasco'd'.
In the meantime, Miguel Sano is somewhere getting Tommy John screaming at the doctor, "I didn't throw one damned slider!" :lol:
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

Holy Cow. I didn't realize that this would be Santana's 10th year already.
He has hardly been hurt during those 10 years. Which means little for the future (re: Bronson Arroyo)
Wayne, if you're counting on sliders causing Tommy John, you're barking up the wrong tree with Santana. Even normal wear and tear could be the culprit after that many years of pitching.

Silent in this whole thing is the Mike Minor situation. What is the latest on him?
On my tombstone-

Bama

Post by Bama » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Santana was diagnosed with 50 percent tear in his elbow ligament 4 years ago or so and elected rehab instead of TJ. Been pitching with it ever since but could blow at any time so more risky than a normal free agent IMO.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Bama wrote:Santana was diagnosed with 50 percent tear in his elbow ligament 4 years ago or so and elected rehab instead of TJ. Been pitching with it ever since but could blow at any time so more risky than a normal free agent IMO.
4 years ago.
I'd say the rehab has worked.
It is like saying Stasburg is more susceptible because Brian Wilson and Kris Medlen had/has two.
Tommy John is unfriendly fire. It can strike any pitcher...Well, except RA Dickey :D
Trying to take odds on which pitcher is beyond my scope.
On my tombstone-