What Technical Improvements Would You Like To See?

Money

Re: What Technical Improvements Would You Like To See?

Post by Money » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
joshguy wrote:Eric John had a phenomenal draft.
Phenomenal indeed. I'm not saying in the least that Mr. John did anything wrong or didn't prove he's a skilled roto drafter.

My point is that a lot of other skilled drafters would likely have done as well faced with the situation provided by the other managers on draft day.

Using the NFBC's own ADP: Eric got four 6th round players and three 8th round players, all by the 11th round. Then (I'm assuming) still had a 9th rounder available when he picked his 12th player, 10th round player when he picked his 13th player and so on.

You could say he "reached" for Ellsbury Darvish and Scherzer in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds but after that it's easy to see why a skilled roto player would do well when he's getting an extra two rounds of value with every pick. I don't think you need to be a former champion to do well when you get these kind of "steals" during a draft.

This is my first year playing at NFBC so I haven't won anything, yet. I'm leading my Online Championship league but I feel that all my fellow managers seem pretty savvy except the one who hasn't changed his lineup since early May (did he pass away?).

If you're all telling me that it's not uncommon for a league to let players fall like this in the draft (at the premiere Roto site) then I look forward to taking part in more of these contests. In my experience you don't see one manager get so much value from the other managers letting good players fall 2-4 rounds past their ADP.

As far as Greg's "dumbest post" comment...

you guys are all thinking it, so I'll just say it myself:
I'm just gonna shut up now.

Cheers!
I actually was ok with the post simply because I've been where you've been and not that long ago. I don't think you meant to demean anyone, you simply needed some reassurance. When you're new to the space you want to be certain that everything is on the up and up. In my first year we had "Padilla Gate", don't ask. That entire season I questioned whether of not I'd play another event in the NFBC. When you're plunking down hard earned dollars you have to respect the integrity of the organization.

I questioned a lot of things that season and am glad I did, you know why I'm glad? It's because I learned that everything around here is on the up and up and simply put, is, without question, "THE BEST PLACE TO PLAY FANTASY SPORTS, AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL, PERIOD"!!
Joe

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Money wrote:

I actually was ok with the post simply because I've been where you've been and not that long ago. I don't think you meant to demean anyone, you simply needed some reassurance. When you're new to the space you want to be certain that everything is on the up and up. In my first year we had "Padilla Gate", don't ask. That entire season I questioned whether of not I'd play another event in the NFBC. When you're plunking down hard earned dollars you have to respect the integrity of the organization.

I questioned a lot of things that season and am glad I did, you know why I'm glad? It's because I learned that everything around here is on the up and up and simply put, is, without question, "THE BEST PLACE TO PLAY FANTASY SPORTS, AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL, PERIOD"!!
Well said Joe. I'm nt sure how long Deadheadz has been playing, but he, like a lot of us is looking over all the data and wondering. Nothign wrong with Learning. Lords knows this game has numbers, numbers and more numbers and a lot of us interpet them differently, inlcuding Draft anaylsis. We all look at our drafts and the drafts others, looking for the successful strategy/patterns that we might agrree with.

Deadheadz, Ive been on the butt end of some dumb post statements, now worries, its just a game and everyone is entitled to thier opinions. Have fun and keep learning, as well try to do.

CaptainCrunch

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Dear Deadheadz,

Goodness, please get over yourself. The guy had a great draft ... and therefore everyone else in the league (including me) is a stiff?

Sometimes I cash, sometimes I don't ... but I have a ton of fun trying ... my way ... and I've done very nicely thank you very much - although you'll never hear any details about it from me. All this time I thought I won a bit of money here and there because I had done a better job (and had a bit better luck) during the season than the rest of the league. Apparently any time I, or anyone else in this particular league, has won any money it has been due to the luckiest of circumstances. I guess we should all just quit.

Any time you want to teach me some roto ... jump in my league. If you win, I'll say it's because you did a better job than me. If I win ...

Love,

Yer pal,

Captain Crunch

P.S. This message is the heavily edited, polite version :-þ

joshguy

Post by joshguy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:42 pm

not to bring up old controversies, but what was "padilla gate"?

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 am

CaptainCrunch wrote:Dear Deadheadz,

Any time you want to teach me some roto ... jump in my league. If you win, I'll say it's because you did a better job than me. If I win ...
It's already happening my friend. Assuming your team Captain Crunch III in 2438, it's already happened.

Cheers!
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:54 am

After re-reading Capt Crunch's post it seems people still think I'm playing down the skill of Eric John or saying he was lucky.

Not at all.

ANY experienced roto player would likely do what Mr. John did in the following circumstance:

Round 7 of the draft you see there's still at least two players with round 6 ADP so you take the best one. Good value!

Round 8, you see there's still at least one player with 6th round ADP available and he's good so you take him. What a steal!

Round 9 there still at least three players with round 8 ADP so you take the best one. Good value!

Round 10 there's still at least two players with 8th round ADP so you take the best one. Another steal!

Round 11 there is still a player with 8th round ADP available. You can't believe it. He's not injured, he's a stud so you take him.

Round 12 there are still players with 10th round ADP

Round 13 still players with 11 round ADP

and so on for the rest of the draft.

You're saying this is not uncommon at NFBC? The rest of the league speculates and reaches down so much that this happens a lot? The only luck I see is that Eric was luck to be drafting with these guys. Maybe there were others in the league too who benefited from what (to me) looks like awful drafting by some teams.

In poker we call these inexperienced players "fish" and anytime good players can sit down with 1-6 fish at the table, they feast.

Seems to me that's what Eric John and a couple of others did in this league.

Kudos.

And to the poster who asked about Padilla-gate, we were warned not to ask. Sounds like something best left alone. You can probably find it yourself if you're willing to put the time in searching way back in the message board.

Cheers!
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

CaptainCrunch

Post by CaptainCrunch » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:03 am

Deadheadz wrote:
It's already happening my friend. Assuming your team Captain Crunch III in 2438, it's already happened.

Cheers!
Well, you got me there. Congrats. You're obviously one of the great roto players of all time. I'm also hugely impressed with your ability to cherry-pick draft values in mid-August. Nice work :-þ

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:14 am

CaptainCrunch wrote:
Deadheadz wrote:

Cheers!
Well, you got me there. Congrats. You're obviously one of the great roto players of all time. I'm also hugely impressed with your ability to cherry-pick draft values in mid-August. Nice work :-þ
What are you talking about? We had up-to-date ADPs every week going into our drafts.

As far as great, no. I'm the guy who spent a couple hundred FAAB dollars on Wilson Ramos when no one else even bid on him.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 am

Hey, I tried to end the discussion many posts ago but people keep responding to what I wrote in ways that don't make sense.

Bottom line is management doesn't like it when a manager tells other managers they need to step up their game. It can discourage them from coming back next season and that's bad for business.

This thread is for Technical Improvements so I'm going to make this my last post.

CC, we can flip eachother off on our league message board if you feel the need to continue further.

Cheers!
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:28 am

Question regarding technical improvements,

Do managers use the message board found on their League Homepage enough to warrant including access to it in the iOS/Android apps?

For leagues that engage in trash talk, etc it would make it even easier to post on the go.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:32 am

Overall Standings page...

It would be nice to be able to re-sort the overall standings by headers other than total points.

The headers most likely to be useful when sorted by:
Total Batting Points
Total Pitching Points
Change (see who's making big moves)
Owner (see how many teams each owner has)

Thanks for asking,
Cheers!
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

joshguy

Post by joshguy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but it would be really nice to have the YTD standings at the end of each week. As of now, we can only see a specific week which really doesnt do much if youre trying to figure out your progress or trends in a league/overall standings

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote: No on Vickroy. It's called "Make the game easier for me" FAAB bidding. It's not happening here.

I respect your position on this but it leaves me wondering why you don't see the request for increased lineup flexibility as "make the game easier for me" too.

Drafters who want flexibility have the option to pick players with multiple position eligibility and benefit from that.

The proposed flexibility will mean setting lineups 3 days a week or else you're not maximizing your lineup potential.

Why not just go to Best Ball scoring and keep the playing field level? I don 't want to see that but it seems like you're moving in that direction so at least keep it fair for everyone, not just those who are able to spend extra time setting their lineups.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:38 am

Deadheadz wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: No on Vickroy. It's called "Make the game easier for me" FAAB bidding. It's not happening here.

I respect your position on this but it leaves me wondering why you don't see the request for increased lineup flexibility as "make the game easier for me" too.

Drafters who want flexibility have the option to pick players with multiple position eligibility and benefit from that.

The proposed flexibility will mean setting lineups 3 days a week or else you're not maximizing your lineup potential.

Why not just go to Best Ball scoring and keep the playing field level? I don 't want to see that but it seems like you're moving in that direction so at least keep it fair for everyone, not just those who are able to spend extra time setting their lineups.
Chris, I have no idea why you decided to create this discussion on this thread. There are already two other threads with this discussion going on.

Position flexibility has always been a part of fantasy baseball. It's why Ben Zobrist has so much value. All the guys are asking for is the software to go along with our new Tuesday deadline for starting lineups. I have no problem with the request and it's something we were able to do in football. It makes sense. If you have players who can be moved around, asking to maximize that value makes sense and now it's up to us to see if we can make this change at some point in the future.

It's fair for everyone. Draft more guys with dual position eligibility if you want more flexibility. That's what everyone does on Draft Day.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote: Chris, I have no idea why you decided to create this discussion on this thread. There are already two other threads with this discussion going on..
Because I needed to quote your stance on not making the game easier.

Greg Ambrosius wrote: Position flexibility has always been a part of fantasy baseball. It's why Ben Zobrist has so much value.
Exactly my point. Draft for flexibility and make good decisions but don't rely on lineup gimmicks to move a locked player to a position that lets you use another player based on info gleaned AFTER the first player locked.

If you allow locked players to be moved around, just go with Best Ball scoring.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bama

Post by Bama » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 am

Common sense yes. Gimmick no. Dead you really starting to get on my nerves, all shit and no substance.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 am

Bama wrote:Common sense yes. Gimmick no. Dead you really starting to get on my nerves, all shit and no substance.
Common sense?

Let me make sure we're talking about the same thing.

I've got Martin Prado in my 3B slot and Arizona plays at 7pm Monday. Hours later after he's locked in and the Cubs (who didn't play Monday) announce they're calling up Kris Bryant who's on my bench. My only slot not locked is OF so you guys think it's "common sense" to allow me to move Prado to the OF and free up my 3B slot for Bryant?

If that's not considered a huge change to the game, I don't know what is.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:10 am

It's a change to the game. I would not call it a 'huge' change.
Before technology made it possible, we also had a blanket 7 pm, est deadline.
Fantasy players are not taking advantage of anything but technology.
If technology allowed us to make a lineup change till a pitcher threw his first pitch or a batter stepped into the batters box, we would do so.
The fantasy game is ever-changing, just like baseball. Now, real baseball has instant replay.
Technology made that possible.
Technology gives us, in fantasy and real baseball, opportunity.

In locking Prado as a hitter, we now lock his position.
Why?
Because we have to. Technology has given us no outs.

some may lock Josh Reddick in the Utility role.
If word is received that an outfielder got hurt, I would enjoy the chance to move Reddick to his rightful position of OF, and move another player to the Utility spot.
New technology would allow me to do that.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:17 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:It's a change to the game. I would not call it a 'huge' change.
If technology allowed us to make a lineup change till a pitcher threw his first pitch or a batter stepped into the batters box, we would do so.
The fantasy game is ever-changing, just like baseball. Now, real baseball has instant replay.

Why?
Just like some may lock Josh Reddick in the Utility role.

If word is received that an outfielder got hurt, I would enjoy the chance to move Reddick to his rightful position of OF, and move another player to the Utility spot.
clap, Clap, CLAP CLAP

Make it so Greg

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 am

Thus taking advantage of Prado's versatility that you paid for on draft day. Some players take a Prado or a Zobrist so they have added flexibility, this gives them a mechanism to utilize it. Makes all the sense in the world to me.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:26 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:It's a change to the game. I would not call it a 'huge' change.

Why?
Just like some may lock Josh Reddick in the Utility role.
But if word is received that an outfielder got hurt, I would enjoy the chance to move Reddick to his rightful position of OF, and move another player to the Utility spot.

Well said.

To me it looks like an advantage would be gained by managers who are good at juggling their lineups. It will benefit me since I have the time to do it. Those who who aren't willing or able to make Tuesday changes will suffer.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

Joe Sambito wrote:Thus taking advantage of Prado's versatility that you paid for on draft day. Some players take a Prado or a Zobrist so they have added flexibility, this gives them a mechanism to utilize it. Makes all the sense in the world to me.
Trust me, I understand.

One of my DC teams has 8 players with multi position eligibility.

My point was the Prado owner gets the added advantage of using late breaking news to juke the system.
The huge change comes on draft day when these multi eligible players' ADP boosts even higher.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:35 am

It's not a huge change. If you drafted and held bryant on your roster for an extended period of time, you should be allowed to use him if you have a slot open. Additionally, I would argue that this change can actually help those that don't have a lot of time or access 24/7 to lineups. Take for example you have Allen Craig, whom plays at 1:00, at 1b and outfielder x whom plays at 7 in the of slot. It comes across the news feed that outfielder x has a groin strain and might not play all weekend at 12:30 on Friday. You were out doing whatever attention starved Canadians do and didn't have access to the news on of x until that night. At that point the only player on your bench that wasn't locked is 1b x. It would be ideal to be able to move Craig to the of in place of outfielder x and insert 1b x at 1b. Under the current system you must take a zero in the of even though the position flexibility you drafted with Craig should be available for you to take advantage of. You're not moving the player whose game has been played out of the lineup. You're just using the flexibility of the team you drafted. This doesn't make the game more easy or help those with more time. It's quite the opposite imo. If I draft a player with flexibility, I should be able to use that flexibility.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 am

Fair enough.

If these changes come to pass, you'll see multi position eligible players in higher demand and that will skew their ADP higher.

NFBC ADP will be less relevant to anyone who plays in weekly leagues on ESPN, CBS or anywhere else that doesn't allow the same flexibility.

I'm curious if the value of DH only players will change too.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am

Deadheadz wrote:
NFBC ADP will be less relevant to anyone who plays
Wasn't that the case this year? How many DC's did you do again...? :lol: