FAAB Fixed or Fiction

Glenneration X

Re: FAAB Fixed or Fiction

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Coz, I agree that the volume of negative feedback in this thread is surprising (though in reality limited to only a handful or so of posts). However, I've had a change of heart.

I hope more of my fellow players (especially those in my leagues) realize the benefits and continue to utilize the original FAAB while I struggle along on my new FAAB. Especially when they're trying to tweak bids and/or change the order of their conditionals and/or edit their top bid at the last minute upon late breaking news using the old "edit" or "move up/down" tabs for multiple bids and across multiple teams. :mrgreen:

I don't see any reason why those in the Platinum, Diamond, Ultimate Auction, etc. should even consider using the aesthetic mess that is the new FAAB. It's all about the visual, right my friends. ;)

After all guys, who would you rather spend a Sunday night with.....

Old FAAB

New FAAB
All kidding aside, this picture is proof not all "tweaks" work!!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Old FAAB

Glenn, you F'in nailed it !!! All we wanted was old FAAB with the ability to drag and drop the top a few inches !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Money wrote:
KJ Duke wrote: You are a virtual factory of cliches.
Pretty weak to create a second persona for the message boards.
You kidding? Gekko is GEKKO b/c of stuff like this. We haven't heard from Cindy in a while, how is she :twisted:

Glenn, one can always appreciate a pic of lovely Kate, but whatever that thing was after her can't be unseen. Thanks pal :shock:
Always be closing.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:53 am

Good post KJ. I'm simply a FAAB Classic guy. I tried FAAB New and it is too messy to the eye. If you're stuck displaying data in a portrait form as opposed to landscape I don't know how you can squeeze everything side by side and not make it look like a number jumble.

FAAB Classic is clean and organized. I even have a workaround for the lack of swap bid #2 into bid #1 spot. Would hate to have Classic removed that's for sure.

Brock

Post by Brock » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:37 am

I can't use the new FAAB. The old one is so much easier to read and I feel lost trying to navigate the new one. Granted I'm old and not very good with adapting to new systems but I wish my FAAB page would default to the old system and not even show me new FAAB. HELP!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 am

Deadheadz wrote:I really liked the Bid on Player buttons on the individual player pages.

They disappeared once the new FAAB was rolled out. Did they think it was redundant? I disagree.
This will be added back. Those buttons were working differently with the new page, but will be added soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am

One thing that I thought we would get out of the new Faab was being able to drop and drag our bids that were previously constructed to easily edit. its a little easily and faster to construct new bids but when last minute news happens and we need to change the bids its basicly the same ole shit. five clicks to move a give from 5th conditional to the top, not what most of had hoped for. Overall saves a tad bit of time but not what I had hoped we would get.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am

Bama wrote:One thing that I thought we would get out of the new Faab was being able to drop and drag our bids that were previously constructed to easily edit. its a little easily and faster to construct new bids but when last minute news happens and we need to change the bids its basicly the same ole shit. five clicks to move a give from 5th conditional to the top, not what most of had hoped for. Overall saves a tad bit of time but not what I had hoped we would get.
You can drag and drop Champ. Just hold your cursor on the double vertical dotted lines to the far left of whatever player you want to drag and bring him to wherever you need him to go.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:22 am

Glenneration X wrote:
Bama wrote:One thing that I thought we would get out of the new Faab was being able to drop and drag our bids that were previously constructed to easily edit. its a little easily and faster to construct new bids but when last minute news happens and we need to change the bids its basicly the same ole shit. five clicks to move a give from 5th conditional to the top, not what most of had hoped for. Overall saves a tad bit of time but not what I had hoped we would get.
You can drag and drop Champ. Just hold your cursor on the double vertical dotted lines to the far left of whatever player you want to drag and bring him to wherever you need him to go.

Thanks Glen . I take back some of what I said. that's working but its taking my computer a few seconds to grab a hold of the player for some reason, just need more patience I guess.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20 am

Bama wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:

Thanks Glen . I take back some of what I said. that's working but its taking my computer a few seconds to grab a hold of the player for some reason, just need more patience I guess.
I noticed issues with my work computer, but at home it runs flawlessly and fast. My home computer runs Windows 8 and the latest version of IE, while at work it's older versions. It could be that your browser needs to be updated. Give it a try Champ. Like I said, at home it's seemless.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 pm

New computer with windows 8 is about as updated as I can get.

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:19 pm

Bama wrote:New computer with windows 8 is about as updated as I can get.
Try downloading Google Chrome. Superior product, in my opinion and you avoid all the issues Internet Explorer always has.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:50 pm

COZ wrote:While I like the FAAB system, I think KJ's "tweaks" enuniciated below are spot on. I do, however, prefer the new drop down menu for players-to-be-dropped because it lists your roster by position rather than alphabetically which allows a quick roster visual when deciding whom to drop. COZ
Coz, I could live with that one, the drop-down vs list is probably closer to a wash for me because of what you mentioned. It would be even better if fonts were smaller so you didn't have to scroll so far to find the player drops.

If the big ones are fixed --- make all the data viewable on the page, and list add/drops in a side by side fashion rather than stacked, I could probably start to warm up to the new system.

One thing that I do like better as I play around with it; being able to click on the position and tracked links, rather than have them on menus where you have to highlight it and then click go. One click instead of two, that should be a goal everywhere.

Bama

Post by Bama » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I think were on the right track here. Maybe a few tweaks here and there and everyone getting used to it and were going to be good.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Ferchrissakes though, can we get rid of the annoying pop ups?
Am I sure I want to drop Avisail Garcia? Well, Hell yes, you think I was joking!?

Two minutes left, trying to get under the deadline, and I wish I had a gun for that pop up.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Agree on the pop-ups. Not only annoying, but they are the single reason preventing anyone from using the old FAAB on the IPAD. For those who want to continue using the old FAAB until the new improves, we can not use this device. Vote to remove pop-ups! :D

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 pm

I run apple products. I spent about ten minutes fiddling with new FAAB only to figure out I'm better off withthe old FAAB, which, despite its warts, is really not all that bad.

The only complaint I have with the new system is I have to scroll to the bottom of all the pitchers to click on the old FAAB system. Please put that at the top, or allow us to go directly to the old system from the league page and bypass the new system altogether.

Thanks, Robert.
- Robert

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I am not overly computer savvy so I immediately revert to the old faab format. The stakes are too high to be messing with something that visually is so different. The fear is a mistake could be made that is costly. I would love it if the original version had a drag/drop option. I also hope the original version does not go away. Plus it would be cool if there could be a link option to click at the top of the faab page to get the old version rather than having to scroll to the bottom.

lrr

Post by lrr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:12 pm

I may or may not be in the minority (hard to tell based only on message board comments) but I really like the new FAAB system. The arrows that allow you to move bids up and down and the drag features are homeruns to me. Many other good suggestions for additional changes have been made. But each time a suggestion for change is made, there may be as many opposed to the change as there are in favor of it. I think the only way to proceed going forward if you want to consider additional changes is form a committee of a number of passionate players to make comments, have a conference call or two.

The group as a whole will more likely welcome change if they are based on a consensus of a group who are users of the product who care intently about the end result.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:24 pm

FAAB Complaints? So many worries so soon?. Either there's way too many injuries or too many post draft buyers remorse.
I think maybe the remorse.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 am

I also like this new set up; they already highlighted the main bid in the thread, which is better; when the other suggestions are finalized, even better. Everyone has there own opinion, but saying this new set up is absolutely terrible is far from accurate, but it is the opinion of a SELECT few.
All this whining and it is only April 12th. :shock: :shock: But then, with some of these guys, nothing will make them happy.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:37 am

Can we take away the pop ups from the old and new?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:43 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Can we take away the pop ups from the old and new?
Zero players that I know of want the pop-up warning. The programmers seem to stand alone wanting the pop-up. This one will be telling ... especially since the comically large fonts were intended to accommodate mobile Apple users, but an iPAD user posted above they can't use either FAAB on it because of the popups.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 am

Lunatic wrote: All this whining and it is only April 12th. :shock: :shock: But then, with some of these guys, nothing will make them happy.
Luny, it's only whining when you disagree. It's preaching the truth when you're on the other side. :D

I think for most of us posting suggestions here, it wouldn't have taken much at all to make us happy. The old FAAB system was solid, it needed a few tweaks --- but we got FAAB 2.0 with a bunch of out of left field changes.

You're one of a few posting who like it - good for you, you've got nothing to whine about ... except the "whining", and you did that. :mrgreen:

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 pm

This is meant to be constructive... Some IT basics for installing a new system

1). User requirements
2). SYSTEMS ANALYSIS.. A step that is frequently overlooked. This is someone who can translate user requirements into technical specification. Someone intimately familiar with "from" system, especially including deficiencies and planned improvements, and the ability to translate user defined functionality into technical specifications (e.g. User may want "Average" to be a scoring category, systems analyst may correct to "weighted average".
3). Coding. Translating the technical spefications into machine readable code (programming).
4). Unit testing. Testing each function independently, including per-existing and new functionality.
5). Integration testing. Testing the system as a whole; internal and external inter-dependent function.
6). Regression testing. Insure that any previous problems do not recur, make sure previous fixes are intact or organically addressed in the new system.
7). Stress testing. Ensure that the new system can operate efficiently under load conditions. Typically something like 90% of anticipated peak.
8). Pilot testing. Open new system to a select subset of real users in order to gain confidence that the new system performs well from both a functional and performance perspective. Gain feedback from users and consider full rollout based on that feedback.

This is a pretty typical scenario in my experience in the corporate world. Key is a tight communication loop between user and systems analyst and systems analyst and coders. They can be the same people if the skills are there.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra