How Do You FIRST Look For Free Agents?

How Do You Look For Free Agents?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

When using FAAB, what's the first method you use to sort free agents at any position?
2%
a) Alphabetically by name
4%
b) % Owned
55%
c) A certain offensive stat or pitching stat
31%
d) Date Activated
2%
e) Other
7%

Total votes: 55

Greg Ambrosius

How Do You FIRST Look For Free Agents?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 pm

Help us understand how you first look for free agents each week when using FAAB. Post your vote on the poll here and then let us know in this thread. It will help us better understand how to position these categories in the new FAAB. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Re: How Do You Look For Free Agents?

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 pm

I've used all of the above

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:48 pm

I used darts. :?

All joking aside Greg, I've used and use all that you've listed but date activated. Does the poll allow for multiple choices or must we choose only one?

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Glenneration X wrote:I used darts. :?

All joking aside Greg, I've used and use all that you've listed but date activated. Does the poll allow for multiple choices or must we choose only one?
The question is what do you use first.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Hells Satans wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:I used darts. :?

The question is what do you use first.
Gotcha....then stare into space with a sense of dread should be an option.

Money

Post by Money » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Greg,

You asked what we looked at first. The way you have it set up now (and in the past) is by current rank which is perfect. Most I believe then go to % owned and look at that view. When looking for a particular player(s) is when the alphabetical list comes into play. That is currently available by clicking on the player list. You can also rank by category very simply with one click.

As the season goes on this will change as needs become more clear and detailed. At that point you'll start having them ranked by a certain stat but probably not until you've gone through the other above noted steps.
Joe

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:58 pm

All of the above but at this early point in the season I've actually been using 'At Bats' as my primary sorting category.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Gekko wrote:I've used all of the above
Well, I understand that. I'm interested in knowing what you FIRST sort to find available free agents. I know what I sort every week when I go to the free agent page and now I'm asking for your thoughts on that.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Money wrote:Greg,

You asked what we looked at first. The way you have it set up now (and in the past) is by current rank which is perfect. Most I believe then go to % owned and look at that view. When looking for a particular player(s) is when the alphabetical list comes into play. That is currently available by clicking on the player list. You can also rank by category very simply with one click.

As the season goes on this will change as needs become more clear and detailed. At that point you'll start having them ranked by a certain stat but probably not until you've gone through the other above noted steps.
Great. If it's % Owned now, then check that. If it's alphabetically every time, then check that. If you look for K's or RBIs first, then check that. Again, I think most of you sort using one of the categories right now and I just want to see what category that is. It's an unscientific poll, but if one of the categories is greater than expected it will help us out. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Texas Connection

Re: How Do You FIRST Look For Free Agents?

Post by Texas Connection » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 pm

% owned most of the time in everything except a.l. and n.l. only

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 pm

mattjb wrote:All of the above but at this early point in the season I've actually been using 'At Bats' as my primary sorting category.
Perfect. Please click the offensive categories box then. See, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the feedback and that's what I'm looking for.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Well, I understand that. I'm interested in knowing what you FIRST sort to find available free agents. I know what I sort every week when I go to the free agent page and now I'm asking for your thoughts on that.
My bad.

For pitchers, it's games started

For hitters, at bats

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 pm

It varies. Twelve-team leagues usually % owned. Fifteen-team leagues usually alphabetical.
- Robert

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Texas Connection wrote:% owned most of the time in everything except a.l. and n.l. only
And that's what I'm looking for, too. Please check the box. See, this is working fine.

Again, sometimes we think we know how you folks do things and in reality we don't realize that you do other things. We've read the FAAB feedback and we're not trying to do things that piss you off. We're trying to perfect this and your feedback is critical. This seems like minor feedback, but it helps us for sure. Thanks for any feedback.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Gekko wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
My bad.

For pitchers, it's games started

For hitters, at bats
The inability to collate pitchers by starts is a big failing of the new FAAB.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Yah Mule wrote:The inability to collate pitchers by starts is a big failing of the new FAAB.
Are you saying the Game Started category? That will be on the second tab starting this week just like it is now on the old FAAB. On the old FAAB you have to change to the Standard Stats to find these additional stats and we'll have something similar this week for that again.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:The inability to collate pitchers by starts is a big failing of the new FAAB.
Are you saying the Game Started category? That will be on the second tab starting this week just like it is now on the old FAAB. On the old FAAB you have to change to the Standard Stats to find these additional stats and we'll have something similar this week for that again.
Yes, Games Started. I found it to be a time saver in the old FAAB. I'm glad the new system will incorporate that, too.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 pm

1. Filter by last 7 days

2, HITTERS -- sort by at bats

PITCHERS -- sort by IP
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:11 pm

ToddZ wrote:1. Filter by last 7 days

2, HITTERS -- sort by at bats

PITCHERS -- sort by IP
I use the percent owned and then by a certain stat; I sometimes use this method Todd uses.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bama

Post by Bama » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
mattjb wrote:All of the above but at this early point in the season I've actually been using 'At Bats' as my primary sorting category.
Perfect. Please click the offensive categories box then. See, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the feedback and that's what I'm looking for.

For hitters its usually At bats either by last week or last 2 weeks . pitchers I usually know about who im looking for so its sometimes alpabetical or rank

Sack

Post by Sack » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Greg:

Percent owned is the first stop, let's me know if somebody got dropped into
The pool that I may have missed. Alpha by name if I'm looking for a specific player that
I'm trying to beat the masses to in an attempt to grab the guy a week before the curve. Eventually,
Will work the specific Cat's.

Hope that helps.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Sack wrote: Percent owned is the first stop, let's me know if somebody got dropped into
The pool that I may have missed.
Ken enlighten me as to how the % owned tells you if they were on a team for several weeks or "just dropped into the pool"?
Unless you memorized the previous week's numbers or put them into excel to compare (and I think you have too many teams to do either of those :D )

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Captain Hook wrote:
Sack wrote: Percent owned is the first stop, let's me know if somebody got dropped into
The pool that I may have missed.
Ken enlighten me as to how the % owned tells you if they were on a team for several weeks or "just dropped into the pool"?
Unless you memorized the previous week's numbers or put them into excel to compare (and I think you have too many teams to do either of those :D )
Because the players Ken is referring to wouldn't have lasted weeks.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21 pm

The correct answer to this question is of course, "all of the above". Any of those data points can be a lead to finding a player we may be interested in - or avoiding someone slipping thru the cracks - which is why taking data away from us is a bad thing.

One big missing data point is "Games Started", which allows us to distinguish between an SP and an RP without wading through 500 fantasy-irrelevant pitchers. One way or another, we need to be able to do a sort that shows Starting Pitchers.

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 am

Perry:

"Ken enlighten me" : I can pull off many things on this these boards, but you and I both know that it
is impossible for me to "enlighten" you. You are much smarter than I will ever be PVH. ;)

Simple answer, as Mr Lowy points out ( thanks Glen ) - Pct owned is simply a quick gauge for me
to see if a player may be available in one of my leagues that MAY NOT have been available in another. I run
double digit teams. After recording my free agent winning bids I normally don't have the time to check history
to see if a player was dropped that I may have interest in the following week.

I do keep up ( for the most part ) on new blood added to the pool ( players not drafted and subsequently called up to the big club ) so searching by ALPHA is my protection. Don't really see how difficult this should be - it was a straight forward
answer not really in need of enlightenment?

Three week into the 2014 season, I've managed to get by without any FAAB issues. I prefer the old system, but
I can see Greg working this with IT to help the others that want improvements.