How Do You FIRST Look For Free Agents?

How Do You Look For Free Agents?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:43 pm

When using FAAB, what's the first method you use to sort free agents at any position?
2%
a) Alphabetically by name
4%
b) % Owned
55%
c) A certain offensive stat or pitching stat
31%
d) Date Activated
2%
e) Other
7%

Total votes: 55

Greg Ambrosius

Re: How Do You FIRST Look For Free Agents?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 am

KJ Duke wrote:The correct answer to this question is of course, "all of the above". Any of those data points can be a lead to finding a player we may be interested in - or avoiding someone slipping thru the cracks - which is why taking data away from us is a bad thing.

One big missing data point is "Games Started", which allows us to distinguish between an SP and an RP without wading through 500 fantasy-irrelevant pitchers. One way or another, we need to be able to do a sort that shows Starting Pitchers.
Nobody is taking data away from you. Games Started and other data that you have on the old FAAB system will be available this week on the new FAAB. We know that folks use this for the reasons you stated above. Thanks for the feedback all and thanks for helping with the poll. It has already told us a lot about how you start your FAAB homework.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am

I start with % owned as it helps me catch the previous weeks FAAB drops I may have missed on Sunday and may be interested in. In other words, I look for 'opportunities' before addressing 'needs'. Consequently, I've been using the old system to scour the lists and place initial bids, then move on to the new one to finalize the order of preference. I understand the new format will be remedied soon to add this feature and I will look forward to it. Also, considering my free agent pick ups to date, I would appreciate it if you could customize my bids to include the :lol: icon for all subsequent bids. Thanks in advance......
bob

bjoak

Re: How Do You Look For Free Agents?

Post by bjoak » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Gekko wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Gekko wrote:I've used all of the above
Well, I understand that. I'm interested in knowing what you FIRST sort to find available free agents. I know what I sort every week when I go to the free agent page and now I'm asking for your thoughts on that.
My bad.

For pitchers, it's games started

For hitters, at bats
100% agree.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:45 pm

I start with "% Owned" and sometimes "% Activated" to narrow the search and, as others have stated, to make sure a big name/largely-owned player has been dropped that I don't somehow overlook. Then I typically scan the top performing players which is the default list, then search by "AB's" or "IP's" or a specific stat depending on what category I feel I need to strengthen. So, as others have stated, I use multiple search functions, but the FIRST, is typically "% OWNED."

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

uky

Post by uky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 pm

This is probably why I suck at FAAB. %owned is not a factor with me.

For Pitchers, the first thing I look at is IP and K's
For Hitters, it's all about the AB's and the counting numbers I can get from them.
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload