New FAAB Has % Owned, Pinned Free Agents

BK METS

Re: New FAAB Has % Owned, Pinned Free Agents

Post by BK METS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 am

The problem I am having is that both my droid phone and droid tablet freeze and it doesn't allow me to switch to the old faab. It just freezes and then gives me the option to wait or restart. If I wait it does nothing. If I restart, it goes back to my google homepage and I have to start over. Anyone have a cure? And I am not quiting. Not that it matters to anyone...all of you will have to deal with me for a few more years, at least... Unless my family forces me to join fantasy baseball anonymous. ;)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:25 pm

BK METS wrote:The problem I am having is that both my droid phone and droid tablet freeze and it doesn't allow me to switch to the old faab. It just freezes and then gives me the option to wait or restart. If I wait it does nothing. If I restart, it goes back to my google homepage and I have to start over. Anyone have a cure? And I am not quiting. Not that it matters to anyone...all of you will have to deal with me for a few more years, at least... Unless my family forces me to join fantasy baseball anonymous. ;)

We will add a link to the old page in the navigation this week so that everyone has quick access to that page. That's a good work-around for now as we try to make this work on all Android tablets and iPads. We're not able to duplicate some of the problems that folks are having, but we're still looking into each example. Keep emailing me if you have problems and again give me the browser and operating system. Thanks.

Look for a separate link to the old FAAB page this week under Transactions.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:58 pm

I didn't have the same problem others had this weekend, but it did get a little jumpy a few times and I noticed that my browser was using a huge chunk of memory ... so if you're on a computer without an abundance of memory, that might be the root of it. I presume that's something in the coding because other FAAB engines don't use that kind of memory.

Perhaps it's all of those senseless icon images sapping everyone's memory! :lol:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

There are now two icons for Free Agents under Transactions:

Free Agents *NEW*
Free Agents

You should now have easy access to both FAAB systems from there. We hope that helps with whatever device you are using on Sundays to check final bids. We think the other upgrades we are adding this week will also help. Good luck all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm

KJ Duke wrote:I didn't have the same problem others had this weekend, but it did get a little jumpy a few times and I noticed that my browser was using a huge chunk of memory ... so if you're on a computer without an abundance of memory, that might be the root of it. I presume that's something in the coding because other FAAB engines don't use that kind of memory.

Perhaps it's all of those senseless icon images sapping everyone's memory! :lol:
Good try, but it wasn't the icons!! We did add much more data with the two additional tabs of stats, which is why it took a little longer to load initially. But it shouldn't take more than 5-6 seconds to load initially. Yes, there is now more data to load with all of the free agents as requested by all of you.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 pm

I have been playing around with this the past two evenings. Yesterday I continued using Firefox and I noticed it was much quicker than it has been on Sundays. I did not get any freezes, which I was getting with ever drag/drop or transaction I made on Sundays past. Could the delay on Sundays be due to a server issue?

After reading more in this thread, I took Coz's advice and started using Chrome today. He is correct- it is much faster. The addition of players to your bid string is almost instantaneous (at least on Wednesday).

There are a few items I think need to be addressed, or maybe I just need guidance on how to navigate the new setup. Once you have a bid string open, the delete player icon is removed. You have to close the bid string, which I don't know how to do other than refreshing my browser, in order to remove a player from the string. Is it possible to leave the icon in place even when the bid string is open? I also could not find a way to drag/drop a player to the bottom of the bid string. Can we get that implemented?

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 am

TParsons wrote:I have been playing around with this the past two evenings. Yesterday I continued using Firefox and I noticed it was much quicker than it has been on Sundays. I did not get any freezes, which I was getting with ever drag/drop or transaction I made on Sundays past. Could the delay on Sundays be due to a server issue?

After reading more in this thread, I took Coz's advice and started using Chrome today. He is correct- it is much faster. The addition of players to your bid string is almost instantaneous (at least on Wednesday).

There are a few items I think need to be addressed, or maybe I just need guidance on how to navigate the new setup. Once you have a bid string open, the delete player icon is removed. You have to close the bid string, which I don't know how to do other than refreshing my browser, in order to remove a player from the string. Is it possible to leave the icon in place even when the bid string is open? I also could not find a way to drag/drop a player to the bottom of the bid string. Can we get that implemented?

Still the same for me . Don't really think they did nothing to help the PC/ IE 11 people so why would the results change.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 am

Ty, FAAB should run at the same speed on Sunday as it does now. There is definitely enough server space for the number of people we have on the site on Sundays. Try again on Sunday using a PC and Google Chrome and it should be just as quick. Again, the slight delay should really only happen when it first loads all the data (5 seconds or so). After that, it should be a second to move from page to page or to a new sort. Now that's on a PC, not a tablet or smartphone.

Kenny, there isn't anything to fix on IE 11. This should work smoothly for you. If you are still having trouble, contact me with what is happening and/or use the old FAAB, which now has a separate link under Transactions. We're here to help with your computer, but if you have upgraded from IE 7 to 11 there shouldn't be any loading issues.

We'll have some more upgrades later today and I'll announce them when they are live. Hopefully these next upgrades get us closer to where we all want to be with the new FAAB.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 am

Greg, Me and Glenn been using a new computers with IE 11 the whole time and its just not working right, Me and him described the problems earlier in this tread and its still the same.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:56 am

Bama wrote:Greg, Me and Glenn been using a new computers with IE 11 the whole time and its just not working right, Me and him described the problems earlier in this tread and its still the same.
IE 11 has a lot of issues. Too numerous to mention. It does work better with windows 8.1 than windows 7, as it was designed for Win 8. For those having problems try rolling back to IE 10 or even IE 9 if you use win 7, you can do that in the Add/remove programs window. IE 10 works pretty good and is stable. If you have Win 8 you cannot rollback to any earlier version of IE.

For people using windows XP, yes there still are a lot, it is impossible to have IE 9,10 or 11. All you can have is IE 8 or lower. I still use XP for many reasons, But I also use Chrome and firefox and they work fine on XP. my main laptop runs 5 OS on it, XP, 7, 8, 8.1-Euro and Linux, and I've fiddled with all of them and for me, XP/Chrome combo works good, but that being said, there are still web page loading and rendering speed issues with FAAB and live scoring on any of them.

For the daring out there, the best OS I run is the European version of windows 8.1 that does not come bundled with IE 11 and all the other Microsoft crap, like media player, etc... It blows away speed wise anything else out there.

Chrome and Firefox latest versions work on any OS.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Here are a couple of upgrades we just added to the new FAAB system:

1. We have removed all pop-ups from the FAAB page. There are no reminders when you delete bids now.

2. There is now a Pending Bids page where you can quickly view your bids in a line like you had before on the old FAAB. The link to this is above the Pending Bids box called View All Bids. Click on that and you'll see your Pending Bids all in lines. The pulldown box to your other teams is at the top of that page so that you can quickly view all Pending Bids on Sunday nights from there.

3. We also removed the scrolling and pinning of the free agent list if a user accesses on a mobile device. This should help with issues that you were seeing on tablets and phones. We still plan on creating a separate page for mobile for this, but this is the work-around until then.

Check these out and I'll post any additional upgrades as we have them. I'll also forward Outlaw's post about Internet Explorer and have IT look at IE 11 again.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Bama wrote:Greg, Me and Glenn been using a new computers with IE 11 the whole time and its just not working right, Me and him described the problems earlier in this tread and its still the same.
We're not the only ones. And yes, the freezing and lags are beyond ridiculous and utterly frustrating.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
We're not the only ones. And yes, the freezing and lags are beyond ridiculous and utterly frustrating.
OK, maybe part of what I find ridiculous and utterly frustrating is how utterly awful all my teams are this year and that's adding to my frustration. :? :(

So let's see if instead of just bitching, I can help here by giving some detail into what I find is happening:

The lagging and freeze ups are not continuous but intermittent. However, the times they seem worst and almost always occur is when I scroll the page down past the initial bottom of screen.

For instance, if I go to drop a player and have to scroll down to the bottom of the potential drops where the reserves are located. When I then try to scroll back up, it's almost a guaranteed freeze up, delay, or lag.

Or if I have multiple bids and contingencies that extend past the bottom of the screen. Again when I scroll back up, freeze, delay, lag.

I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it has something to do with the coding used to pin the one side of the page, or to allow the other to scroll independently. Again, just guessing here but I hope the examples I described of when these issues occur for me help provide some insight towards a fix.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 pm

I have played around with both the live scoring and the New FAAB. Chrome by far is the best browser, followed by Firefox (tends to freeze sometimes) and then IE. Users have got to have the latest Sun Java installed, plus the plugins for that, that Chrome and Fox use. I removed every instance of java from my OS and i could not get FAAB or live scoring to work. the web page would load, but then freeze and then just hang, did not matter what browser is used. I did all this on Windows 7. I then reinstalled the latest versions of Java and plugins for chrome and fox and it worked fine. It worked flawlessly as long as that was the only web page i had open. opening other web pages started to cause delays, but it still worked.

the thing about almost all web pages, and especially sports web sites is that they are all using Java, a lot of Adobe Flash and shockwave. When those are not up to date, not working or missing people are going to have problems. all the ads these days use that crap.

the coding from what i can see of the FAAB and live scoring pages is a resource hog. So then we are getting into areas of not enough memory, possibly low disk space and a lot of users do not clean their cache or their hard drive. Each browser has settings to clean cache and cookies automatically when you close the browser down completely. Those settings should be set. I've mentioned a few times for people to use CC Cleaner, its by far an away the most effective computer/browser cleaner out there and its free.

the other problem I have seen on some people computers is older versions of Sun Java still installed and and they then conflict with each other. The java program by itself has been problematic for years, but its what a lot of web sites require.

This is little utility i have used for years to clean all remnants of Java when needed and then I reinstall the latest version from Sun Java web site. Version 2.6 should work for most. Run the remove Java option, then perform all the options under additional tasks. once done reboot, go to Sun java web site and download and install the latest version. If you run XP download both versions and do the same things with both versions.

the program is called JavaRa.

http://singularlabs.com/software/javara ... -download/

Link for Sun java: https://www.java.com/en/download/

If you want to keep you computer current with all the necessary Flash , java, and other programs most people have these days, use this little utility.

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker

Download the utility, install and run it. it scans your computer and tells you what programs are out of date, including all Browsers and then gives you a link to download and install the update for each program. Most computers I see will usually show 10-20 programs out of date. almost everything it finds is also free to download. The host website also has lots of free software and goodies.

If i go 2 weeks without running that utility when I do, I find almost everything is out of date again. The problem is that all this software they keep patching and updating its seems like every day, because of security flaws and issues. It is a pain, but there is no other choice unless one gets into the Linux word, but even linux has it its issues with web sites and being able to use compatible software. Linux is what the hackers use...lol

Hope I did not get too technical, but this stuff will keep ones computer running decent and secure, its just a pain at times to stay on top of. And its getting worse, not better because of all the security holes and hackers and spyware and malware. Every computer I have ever worked on, when I scan them with the 2-3 programs I use, I find all sorts of malware and viruses. Having that crap on any computer will also cause big headaches with any websites or and speed issues. The speed issues are because the malware is sending and receiving data and such and the user does not even know it. I personally only use the free Microsoft Security essentials for XP and win 7. Windows 8 has basically the same thing, its just called windows defender. I will and have not in over 4 years use stuff like Norton, Mcafee. Only Security essentials. Those other AV programs kill a computer's performance. If I see it on someone's (family and friends) that want help, I tell them I'm removing that crap. I do keep a copy of Malwarebytes installed, but only for when I want it scan for something, I do not leave it running. For badly infected and slow computers I currently use Hitman Pro to clean them, then run a MS Security Essentials scan.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Mike, my laptop has a 512 GB SSD hard drive with most of the space unused, a Haswell i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, Windows 8.1, IE 11, the latest flash and java updates and I have the disk cleaned and defragmented weekly.

In other words, it's not our hardware or software. It's whatever was done to the FAAB page in the last update mid-last week that is causing the freezes, delays, and lags. It wasn't there prior to that.

I do agree that the FAAB page is a resource whore as diagnostics show it as a huge memory drain.

However, I offered examples in my prior post of when the issues are most problematic for me. Hopefully the STAT IT boys can look into it and find the issues/coding that's causing the problems.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Mike, my laptop has a 512 GB SSD hard drive with most of the space unused, a Haswell i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, Windows 8.1, IE 11, the latest flash and java updates and I have the disk cleaned and defragmented weekly.

In other words, it's not our hardware or software. It's whatever was done to the FAAB page in the last update mid-last week that is causing the freezes, delays, and lags. It wasn't there prior to that.

I do agree that the FAAB page is a resource whore as diagnostics show it as a huge memory drain.

However, I offered examples in my prior post of when the issues are most problematic for me. Hopefully the STAT IT boys can look into it and find the issues/coding that's causing the problems.
Thats a smoking machine, especially that 512 GB SSD. I have (its a spare) a 10 yr old laptop, with XP on it, 1GB ram, 80GB hard drive and hardly any programs on it but a few small programs and MS office 2007 and it runs just as good as my high end Dell laptop on the Internet. In fact it's faster in many ways than new laptops, because the OS/system is so clean. All the best hardware, software and Internet speed means nothing if the web site or web pages have issues. so your point is well taken, about it being the web page coding possibly. For those wondering, the past 5 years or so, there is no difference in performance of laptops vs desktops, unless the desktop is a custom built one.

the fastest computer system I have is Voyager 64GB SSD USB3 Thumb drive, size of small lighter that runs full version of windows 8.1 from any usb port on any computer that has a usb port, even usb2 (slightly slower but not much). It boots and runs from the flash drive at startup. I can carry it around and plug into anyones computer. Windows 8.1 takes about 2 minutes to setup the drivers needed for the computer I plug it into and its so fast, it defies logic as to why. It has all the stuff I need, all the program I use, I just don't store large crap like video, music, its for quick access to my stuff and programs and internet. I also use it to troubleshoot other computers, as it will show the main hard drive of any computer and I can clean them quickly because the OS runs off my thumb drive, even though it uses the hardware of the computer I plugged it into... When I boot my high end Dell laptop with it, it is easily 2-3 times faster with everything than the Dell is when I boot it, to its main hard drive. Everything on it is also encrypted, so it doesn't get much more secure than that. techie crap...

But it doesn't help with fantasy or drafting...lol

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 am

The amount of freezes, delays, etc. I just encountered trying to adjust bids and bid order for just one team has forced me to give up on the new FAAB for today. I'll be using the old FAAB for the rest of my teams this week. It takes less time to "edit" and "move up"/"move down" than to deal with all these freeze ups.

The only thing I can compare it to is the Huffington Post for anyone who's ever tried to read an article on that horrendous website. There's something in their coding or script, or maybe it's the amount of ads and/or links they include on every page, that causes the same type of delays, lags, freeze ups, etc. as our new FAAB does since the latest adds and corrections were done a little over a week ago.

Please let me know if this issue is ever resolved. If so, I'll try again then.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Glenn, how is your bandwidth? I have 57 mbps at home and have zero issues. I did encounter problems like yours at work (I was only getting 16) which required us to reboot the server and we were back at normal speed and back to no lag or latency using new faab.

If you are running wireless via your laptop it's possible lack of bandwidth can be the issue. Run speedtest and see what you get. Just spit-balling here but new faab was totally unusable at work fpr me when our bandwidth was crap.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Quahogs wrote:Glenn, how is your bandwidth? I have 57 mbps at home and have zero issues. I did encounter problems like yours at work (I was only getting 16) which required us to reboot the server and we were back at normal speed and back to no lag or latency using new faab.

If you are running wireless via your laptop it's possible lack of bandwidth can be the issue. Run speedtest and see what you get. Just spit-balling here but new faab was totally unusable at work fpr me when our bandwidth was crap.
I gave that test a try Bud. I'm getting about 20 out of my Fios wireless connection to my laptop, so nowhere near the 57 you're getting at home (through your hard connection I would imagine), so maybe that is part of the issue. The only thing is 20 should be plenty and is fine for every website I visit (including the old FAAB site) outside of this new FAAB site....oh yeah and Huffington Post.

I would imagine if you need more than that, there's an issue with the site itself, not the bandwidth. Afterall, if a website is "wireless connection" useless, that's a problem.

What I keep going back to is that the FAAB page worked fine until the latest tweaks mid-last week. There was something done then, probably inadvertently, that changed the coding or added a script that is causing this issue. And this issue is not mine alone as others have brought up the same points.

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Glenneration X wrote:The amount of freezes, delays, etc. I just encountered trying to adjust bids and bid order for just one team has forced me to give up on the new FAAB for today. I'll be using the old FAAB for the rest of my teams this week. It takes less time to "edit" and "move up"/"move down" than to deal with all these freeze ups.

The only thing I can compare it to is the Huffington Post for anyone who's ever tried to read an article on that horrendous website. There's something in their coding or script, or maybe it's the amount of ads and/or links they include on every page, that causes the same type of delays, lags, freeze ups, etc. as our new FAAB does since the latest adds and corrections were done a little over a week ago.

here.. Samsung..tab 8... android,,,,,use puffin.. download flashplayer......ah.. it works like a champ..

may need to pay 2 bucks for a certain version of puffin....

ah... now the best part.... it all will load exactly like the PC screen here... on the bottom of the tablet there will be little pics like exit esc.. etc... but the beauty of this this is just a little track pad.. on the other side of the screen will be a little tiny baby mouse.... touch this and use the touch pad to move the mouse pointer around... just like on this pc....never have a problem with this again...

now if the live scoring would improve....

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Glenneration X wrote:The amount of freezes, delays, etc. I just encountered trying to adjust bids and bid order for just one team has forced me to give up on the new FAAB for today. I'll be using the old FAAB for the rest of my teams this week. It takes less time to "edit" and "move up"/"move down" than to deal with all these freeze ups.

Google Chrome and Firefox are the recommended browsers for the new FAAB system. Are you having these problems on Internet Explorer Glenn? We are continuing to look at IE and your problems, but for this week please try Google Chrome and Firefox. There should be no issues on those browsers.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Google Chrome and Firefox are the recommended browsers for the new FAAB system. Are you having these problems on Internet Explorer Glenn? We are continuing to look at IE and your problems, but for this week please try Google Chrome and Firefox. There should be no issues on those browsers.
Thanks for the response.. for tablets and other mobile devices the old tech has been replaced .. please update the live scoring and some other 1990's styles here.. data must be easy to access for those folks here....it is not easy and the "new" waiver systems still shows old style,... but just maybe just maybe because since this is in fact a gambling site access to data would help the entry level folks compete faster...and the high wheelers will have nothing of that.... just wondering...

Coach2780

Post by Coach2780 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I am new to the forum and haven't read this entire thread, but any NFBC app in the works for the Ipad? I love the app on the Iphone but would like to be able to do my free agents from the app not have to use the internet.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Unfortunately FAAB will run again this week at 10:15 pm ET, so look for winning results after that. Hopefully next week we can get the results run at 10:05 pm ET and get results out quicker to you.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Coach2780

Post by Coach2780 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Greg, any feedback to my previous post? Thank you in advance for your feedback!