$250 TEAM Satellite Draft

Deadheadz

Re: New League Concept! • $250 TEAM Satellite • (9 SPOTS ope

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 am

This is not a keeper league, right?

After sleeping on it I'm thinking the whole trade thing just makes it complicated and takes away some of the mystery and uncertainty to the season. What would be so wrong with having a handful of players traded in real life switch teams and still be counting players on the roster of the GM who drafted them?

It would add to the pre-draft consideration of which teams to take. Phillies Rotation wouldn't be too bad with Hamels but if you consider he is being shopped heavily it's likely you'll lose him if he gets traded. Phillies staff not so good anymore. If you draft Hamels and he's dealt to the Dodgers or the Rangers it gets more interesting if you're allowed to keep him.

The only downside to keeping players on your roster after they've moved in real life is another GM will see Team X won a game last night and assume he got the win until he realizes it was Cole Hamels who started for them instead of one of his four other rotation pitchers. To me that would be entertaining for most GMs to see.

Bottom line is it would be waaay easier to police if you let everyone keep the players they drafted regardless of where the MLB GMs decide to send them.

What do you guys think about that?

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 am

Honestly, I think I prefer it the way KJ proposed it. The owners are not drafting individual players - they are drafting teams (or, technically, half-teams). During the season, you manage by attempting to use the best players available from your four half-teams, recognizing that the composition of those half-teams almost certainly will change throughout the year. Yes, owners face the risk of losing players due to trades, but they also have the potential gains of adding players due to trades. In a way, some risk is mitigated in that if a player is traded away (or is injured), that team will replace him on its roster and the owner will have a new player to possibly use. I think if you keep all players that originally are on the team but who then are traded away to different teams, some of the appeal of the league - trying to own and manage the best four half-teams - could be lost. Besides, keeping with the Hamels example, the possible trade (or non-trade) is something that owners will have to factor into their drafting strategy. For example, potential owners of the Phillies pitching staff will have to evaluate the likelihood that Hamels - and Papelbon - do not get traded (in which case, the Phillies could net an owner Hamels, Lee, Papelbon and Giles - not a bad haul for what probably would be a late selection of a pitching staff). Just my two cents.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:57 am

KJ Duke wrote:Yeah, the Rockies would probably be the last pick among NL staffs, but that wouldn't necessarily be pick 4.15.
I think the entire concept is very clever. If I wasn't already waaay over my number of teams, I would probably give it a shot.

One small suggestion. I'm wondering if it might not be better to set the limit @ 12 teams. That way nobody gets stuck with the Rockies pitchers or an offense like the 2014 Padres. You're still utilizing 80% of the available player base. In a typical roto league (15 teams X 30 players) you're utilizing about 60% of the available player base. Actually less since some minor leaguers are rostered in every league.

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck with the league.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:02 am

One other thought. This league might benefit from using a third round reversal format. With only four rounds of drafting, the draft will be 25% over by the time the last team makes it's first selection. In a 30 round draft, just over 3% of the player base is gone by the time the last team picks.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:10 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:Honestly, I think I prefer it the way KJ proposed it. The owners are not drafting individual players - they are drafting teams (or, technically, half-teams). During the season, you manage by attempting to use the best players available from your four half-teams, recognizing that the composition of those half-teams almost certainly will change throughout the year. Yes, owners face the risk of losing players due to trades, but they also have the potential gains of adding players due to trades. In a way, some risk is mitigated in that if a player is traded away (or is injured), that team will replace him on its roster and the owner will have a new player to possibly use. I think if you keep all players that originally are on the team but who then are traded away to different teams, some of the appeal of the league - trying to own and manage the best four half-teams - could be lost. Besides, keeping with the Hamels example, the possible trade (or non-trade) is something that owners will have to factor into their drafting strategy. For example, potential owners of the Phillies pitching staff will have to evaluate the likelihood that Hamels - and Papelbon - do not get traded (in which case, the Phillies could net an owner Hamels, Lee, Papelbon and Giles - not a bad haul for what probably would be a late selection of a pitching staff). Just my two cents.

Mike
I see your point but it seems too easy for your fantasy team to be completely out of contention if the real life teams sell off their talent in late July. Or is the point to leave open the possibility of a good fantasy team melting down in the 2nd half and giving other teams a leg up?

It's a really interesting concept, this league.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:12 am

Yah Mule wrote:One other thought. This league might benefit from using a third round reversal format. With only four rounds of drafting, the draft will be 25% over by the time the last team makes it's first selection. In a 30 round draft, just over 3% of the player base is gone by the time the last team picks.
That sounds like a great idea. As currently constructed teams 1-5 are going to have a huge advantage over teams 10-15.

fozzie

Post by fozzie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:52 am

Another question: Live draft or slow draft (even better, fast/slow)? If it's the latter, I'm in.

KJ Duke

Re: New League Concept! • $250 TEAM Satellite • (5 SPOTS ope

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:58 am

Last edited by KJ Duke on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:00 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:Honestly, I think I prefer it the way KJ proposed it. The owners are not drafting individual players - they are drafting teams (or, technically, half-teams). During the season, you manage by attempting to use the best players available from your four half-teams, recognizing that the composition of those half-teams almost certainly will change throughout the year. Yes, owners face the risk of losing players due to trades, but they also have the potential gains of adding players due to trades. In a way, some risk is mitigated in that if a player is traded away (or is injured), that team will replace him on its roster and the owner will have a new player to possibly use. I think if you keep all players that originally are on the team but who then are traded away to different teams, some of the appeal of the league - trying to own and manage the best four half-teams - could be lost. Besides, keeping with the Hamels example, the possible trade (or non-trade) is something that owners will have to factor into their drafting strategy. For example, potential owners of the Phillies pitching staff will have to evaluate the likelihood that Hamels - and Papelbon - do not get traded (in which case, the Phillies could net an owner Hamels, Lee, Papelbon and Giles - not a bad haul for what probably would be a late selection of a pitching staff). Just my two cents.

Mike

Good summary, Mike. The main issue for me was working out the mechanics of it; I think what is now posted in red on the first post is a workable solution.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 am

Teufel Hunden wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:One other thought. This league might benefit from using a third round reversal format. With only four rounds of drafting, the draft will be 25% over by the time the last team makes it's first selection. In a 30 round draft, just over 3% of the player base is gone by the time the last team picks.
That sounds like a great idea. As currently constructed teams 1-5 are going to have a huge advantage over teams 10-15.
I will take a look at how teams stack up today.

It's possible we could draft our team groups on the message board ahead of time, and then when the draft room gets set-up all we'd need to do is go in and pick our 30 players. If done this way, we can set the draft order in whatever way looks most fair/balanced. And maybe Shawn's idea could work too ... use an auction method to pick our 4 groups.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:55 am

I'll pass on this one, KJ.
This one looks to have StatMullers name all over it! :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:26 am

+1 on Third Round Reversal.

The top few picks will have a big advantage.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am

I'm going to pass too.

It would be too hard for me to accept my best players getting yanked from my team because they were traded in real life for a big name prospect.

I like the concept for a keeper league but not a redraft.

Good luck. I hope this goes and hope you post the teams somewhere so we can follow along.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

KJ Duke

Re: New League Concept! • $250 TEAM Satellite • (3 SPOTS ope

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:41 am

Last edited by KJ Duke on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 pm

I can't reach Todd - think he is traveling today so will confirm later but I think we are in.... BUT

I think you need at least 3RR maybe even 4th as well so draft would go
1-15
15-1
15-1
15-1

First few picks get choice of one of best lineups or staffs and then 30th - if they add 31st it makes it too heavy
Last spot would then have 15th, 16th, 31st, and 46th while
first spot would have 1st, 30th, 45th, and 60th
This balances out the draft a lot more AND adds more intrigue for KDS

GoCrazyFolks

Post by GoCrazyFolks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:10 pm

I will play if there is still an opening.
Rick Hayden
aka Go Crazy Folks

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Captain Hook wrote:I can't reach Todd - think he is traveling today so will confirm later but I think we are in.... BUT

I think you need at least 3RR maybe even 4th as well so draft would go
1-15
15-1
15-1
15-1
This is what I was looking at Perry, with just 3RR the top spot edge might actually go up over no 3RR.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 pm

In terms of the draft, I will propose this:

The TEAM draft will take place on the message board and Draft Order will be as follows:
Round 1: 1-15
Round 2: 15-1
Round 3: 15-1
Round 4: 15-1

Everyone will send me their KDS preference and I will assign draft slots. I will take the final remaining slot after assigning slots to everyone else. After everyone has selected their "TEAMS" we can do the player draft online in the draft room. The draft order for players doesn't really matter, so that can be randomly assigned. The player draft should be done in a couple days.

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 pm

KJ Duke wrote:In terms of the draft, I will propose this:

The TEAM draft will take place on the message board and Draft Order will be as follows:

Everyone will send me their KDS preference and I will assign draft slots. I will take the final remaining slot after assigning slots to everyone else. After everyone has selected their "TEAMS" we can do the player draft online in the draft room. The draft order for players doesn't really matter, so that can be randomly assigned. The player draft should be done in a couple days.
I think the draft order you have listed levels the playing field quite a bit. I will take a team.

Thomas Warner

EA Sports

Post by EA Sports » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:00 pm

KJ Duke wrote:In terms of the draft, I will propose this:

I like it KJ. Should be fun
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win" - Bobby Knight

KJ Duke

Re: New League Concept! • $250 TEAM Satellite • (2 SPOTS ope

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:01 pm

The rules and sign-up list have been updated as follows. Please read closely if you are IN. ;) Two spots left for this league.

Each owner will build his 30-man roster from One NL Pitching staff, One AL Pitching Staff, One NL Lineup and One AL Lineup. The TEAM draft will take place on the message board and Draft Order will be as follows:
○ Round 1: 1-15
○ Round 2: 15-1
○ Round 3: 15-1
○ Round 4: 15-1
• Everyone can email their KDS preferences to Greg and he will assign draft slots. Once everyone has selected their "TEAMS" we will pick players in the draft room. The draft order for players doesn't matter since everyone will be limited to selecting players assigned to their team.
• The league will have a non-competitive FAAB setup, meaning each owner will have $1000 to make add/drops during the season, but each player can be purchased for only $1 since each team can bid only on the players that are aligned with their original pitching staffs and batter lineups. Players must be "officially" eligible to your team at the FAAB deadline to be picked up (pending trades and/or pending signees would remain ineligible until officially reported).
• If a player is officially traded or released prior to any Friday @ midnight PT, he must be dropped during the first available FAAB period. He then would be eligible for his new team in the subsequent FAAB period. If a player is traded after the Friday deadline in any given week, he must be dropped by the second upcoming weekend. Likewise, once a player is officially removed from your MLB franchise he must be removed from your starting lineup for the upcoming scoring period.
• Standard NFBC satellite roster size and scoring rules
• $250 Entry; NFBC Pays Top 3 ▬ $2000/ $750/ $250

• TEAM Satellite • Slow Draft
1. KJ Duke
2. Mike Mager
3. Russel Wyatt
4. Eric Albright
5. Ted Cohan
6. Matt Modica
7. Ken Gill
8. Jay Lyons
9. Scott Butterworth
10. George Kleemann
11. Zola/ PVH
12. Rick Hayden
13. Thomas Warner
Last edited by KJ Duke on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:25 pm

It reads well.

Looking forward to it.........
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Looking good Duke.

I'll be glued to the message board to see how the league unfolds. With the ADP of Nats SPs it wouldn't surprise me at all if the top pick overall is that staff. Strasburg, Scherzer, Zimmerman, Gio, Fister, Roark plus the bonus of knowing you can't be forced to take the Rockies staff.

Will the first round be a frenzy of GMs taking the other NL pitching staves? Does someone take the risk of drafting the top AL batting lineup (Det?) or Rockies hitters knowing they could reach their round 2 pick with no NL pitching left except Colorado?

It might not turn out that way at all...but I want to see how it turns out.

Will you charge admission for non participants to see the progress? Or at least post the results of the first 4 rounds?

Love it. Can't take part.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Anyone will be able to watch on the message boards, I'll just ask that no one post comments about an available team until after they're selected.

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:26 pm

K.J. I'll take a team if still available. sound interesting. Roy