RIP Carrie Hilla: We Love You

Greg Ambrosius

RIP Carrie Hilla: We Love You

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:42 am

Rest In Peace Carrie Hilla. We miss you already.

We talk about the NFBC members being family to us and we love to get together each year for what we call a family reunion. But when one of your family members isn't there, you hurt. Well, this news REALLY hurts. We lost one of our best participants, someone who just loved drafting with her boyfriend, who loved competing in fantasy baseball and fantasy football, who loved the atmosphere of drafting live as one of the only female participants in the room. From what I could tell, she really loved life as she always was happy in the environment I saw her in, which was the draft room.

We lost Carrie Hilla last week, the girlfriend of Matthew Shephard, who many of you know. Carrie fought cancer for the last two years and last year she came to Las Vegas in March after months of chemotherapy, looking rough from the treatment but just so happy to be in Las Vegas with Matt and with friends. Everyone was so happy to see her and the future looked bright. In September Matt and Carrie came to the NFFC drafts and she looked so good, completely healthy. She even drafted an NFFC Primetime team that won a league title. Matt said she was so proud to have won that Primetime title as she hit on Le'Veon Bell, Odell Beckham Jr., Andrew Luck and others. What a great, great draft and title.

When I saw Matt on Thursday alone I definitely did a double take. I'm not sure I've ever seen Matt without Carrie. I mean, seriously, these two were always together laughing and enjoying the moment. And when they came to Las Vegas they participated in every auction they could, every draft they could. When I asked Matt on Thursday "How's Carrie?" and he told me that she passed away, my heart just sunk. I couldn't believe it. They were planning to go to spring training last week, but she passed away. He said she wanted him to go to Las Vegas, enjoy the season and continue doing what they loved doing together. Man, how do you find another great woman like that is beyond me, but God works in mysterious ways. We can't figure Him out sometimes. Still, this one hurts God. You took someone too early. It's not fair.

We miss you Carrie. We wish you were here with us. We wish you were here with Matt.

Matt was gracious enough to let me post this and he was gracious enough to sum up Carrie here:

"She looked forward to baseball drafts in the spring and football in the fall. Even when she was getting sick this past winter, she managed to do two DC drafts- which look like pretty good teams at this point- and they gave her something to take her mind off things.

"She leaves as a defending champion of her football league- she got value plays in Andrew Luck, LeVeon Bell, and some kid named Odell Beckham Jr. that she took a flier on late in the draft- and rode them to the playoff win.

"I'd like to thank you, Tom, the folks who staff the drafts in Vegas, and all the NFBC players who made her feel welcome and enjoy the draft, even though she was usually the only woman player. Many guys would say to me how neat they thought it was that she participated and wished that they had a wife/girlfriend who shared their interest in sports and the drafts. Hopefully we can have more women participate in the future as our game grows.

"RIP Sexy WAY-D"

So good. So good Matt. God Bless You Carrie.

Matt and Carrie first started drafting live in Las Vegas with us in 2011. They had been playing online leagues (CDM I believe) and wanted to try the live drafts. They came to Las Vegas and participated in a couple of our 12-team drafts, which at the time were called Double Plays. I remember introducing myself to them and having a good conversation and they said how impressed they were with the live drafts and that they would be doing more with us. They didn't disappoint as they became one of our most active participants. And they always had so much fun at the auctions, the Supers, the Mains. And Carrie did several Draft Champions League teams and Satellite League teams throughout the years.

We lost a good member of the NFBC family way too early. Life is a bitch that way sometimes. We are here to support Matt and to realize that life is too short to bitch about little things that bother us. Embrace the moment. Embrace the person drafting next to you. Don't take anything for granted in life. Enjoy every moment as best as you can.

RIP Carrie. You will be missed, but you won't be forgotten. You will never be forgotten.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Re: RIP Carrie Hilla: We Love You

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:23 am

Very, very sad. Matt, you have my deepest condolences. I am truly sorry.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:34 am

Yeah this was truly awful news to hear. Like Greg said, Carrie looked so good at the NFFC last year and I was stunned when Greg told me what happened. I'm very very sorry Matt and you have my deepest condolences.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am

Same for me, very sorry to read this. Carrie was in one of the DC's I drafted this Spring. We chatted some in that draft and I was looking forward to seeing her this weekend after I saw that Matt and I were in a draft together. It was clear from drafting and chatting with her that she was a smart, competitive and engaging person. All the best to you Matt.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:36 am

The toughest thing that life deals us.
The transition of loving somebody everyday to missing them everyday.
Heartfelt condolences.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:56 am

I don't know Matt or Carrie, but as Greg said, we are all family here at the NFBC.
It doesn't matter if the family member is one that lives with you in the house or the second cousin that you only sit down the dinning room table from once a year.
We are all family.
I'm sorry for the NFBC's loss of a family member
Much more importantly though, I'm sorry for your loss of a friend and a Love.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

EA Sports

Post by EA Sports » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Very sorry for your loss Matt. RIP Carrie
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win" - Bobby Knight

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Greg, thanks for sharing.
Matt, thanks for letting Greg share. Sounds like you had a great girl there.
Every year now, I dedicate my main event team to my dad who passed away in 2012. He always wanted to know who I drafted at the main event. I'd tell him and he'd write down each player's name on paper and then follow along all season. Just one example of how I feel he's still with me. Take care and hang in there, Matt.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:42 pm

I didn't know Carrie and I've competed with Matthew, but we've never met. My heart goes out to him and everybody else who knew and loved Carrie.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:45 pm

My thoughts and prayers your way, Matt.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

"Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,
Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Matt; so sorry for your loss; you are in my prayers;
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bigperl

Post by Bigperl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 pm

I, too, have competed against but never met Matt, to whom I extend my deepest sympathies. My wife of almost 40 years has been battling cancer for the last three years and, while she has not been a participant like Carrie, she knows well how much enjoyment I get (especially now, when each day brings new personal challenges) from competing in the NFBC with so many equally (and more) fanatical people. This is like family in some ways, as many others have often commented on these Boards, and this post initiated by Greg is another example of that. RIP, Carrie.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Matt - I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. It is heart-breaking to lose a great person at any time, but especially when it happens way too soon.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Baseball is concerned with the pace of play, but every pitch of life should be savored, for we know not the hour or the day that the skies will open and call the game on us. God Bless Carrie!
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Very sad news. Sorry for your loss Matt, My condolences. Well said Greg

Bob Enzyte

Post by Bob Enzyte » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Matt, I remember sitting next to you and Carrie in an auction a few years back. I believe it was an NL one. I could tell you two were truly a team. This is very sad news. My best to you.

poopytooth

Post by poopytooth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm sorry to read this - very sad. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:25 pm

Prayers. Was in the DC with Sexy Way-D. Many prayers
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

blazer68

Post by blazer68 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:31 pm

I also would like to send my deepest condolences for your immense loss.Having someone who shares your passions and love is rare and special today and to lose it must be heartbreaking take care and am sure you are in the prayers of many.

Sack

Post by Sack » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Matt:

Having had the pleasure of sharing many draft hours with you, I send my deepest condolences.
Such sad news. Baseball and Football can run together in my mind at times, but I'm pretty certain
Carrie was by your side this past year in a draft we did together. Never would have suspected what she
was battling. God bless, may she rest in peace. Try and stay strong as she will live forever inside your
heart and mind.

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:03 am

Matt my condolences on your loss.I can recall back in 2013 at table 1 in the main event and the two of you at the table. I came over and introduced myself to the 2 of you. It seemed pretty awesome having your better half there with you. If I can recall she seemed more excited about the draft then you did. What a great vibe the two of you had. My prayers are with you.

morons

Post by morons » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 am

Thanks everyone for the condolences posted here as well as given this past weekend in Vegas.
It was difficult attending the events flying solo this weekend, after doing them together the past few years, but at the same time, I enjoyed the interactions Friday and Saturday and had a great time.

Best of luck to all this season.

Chthroop

Post by Chthroop » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 am

Matt,
I didn't know you or Carrie but wanted to extend my condolences on your terrible loss. We lost 2 friends this summer in their 40s, one from cervical cancer and one from lung cancer (and she never smoked). I know that you have had an extraordinarly hard time so just wanted show support.

With regards,
Chris