Opening Day Is Here!! Let The Games Begin

Edwards Kings

Re: 34 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:58 am

I will always have a soft spot for Steve Avery. He had a hellava run, albeit short one. Lost 11 out of 20 games started in 1990, but during the next three years of the transformation of the Braves from has-beens to perennial winners, he won 18 games in two of the next three. Then the bottom fell out. Shame.

Shouldn't overdress for spring training.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Re: 33 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:46 am

How in the world do you find so many pics of hot chicks in Braves gear?!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:58 am

I will be honest with you....you can say MANY not too positive things about Atlanta (and I would be forced to agree), but good lookin' wemmin....man, it is like we just grow 'em on trees!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:14 am

Earl Williams, 1971 Rookie of the Year as a catcher, with little prior experience at it, since he only received his first instruction on the position in 1970. Howeve, on June 20, 1971, Braves Manager Lum Harris came to Williams and stunningly announced, "You're my catcher." Williams didn't like catching because concentrating on the position got in the way of his hitting. Williams told Sport Magazine in 1972, "My favorite position is batter." Traded to Baltimore for four major leaguers in November 30, 1972 with minor leaguer Taylor Duncan to the Baltimore Orioles for starting second basemen Dave Johnson, catcher Johnny Oates and pitchers Pat Dobson and Roric Harrison. Earl Weaver and Williams did not mesh and had many confrontations. Williams was out of baseball after May 1978 at age 29 with a bad egg rap. He put an ad in the New York Times offering his services...the ad said "HAVE BAT-WILL TRAVEL-WILL HUSTLE." Didn't work.

Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:16 am

32 days until Opening Day!

#32 was worn by a couple of pretty good lefties ...

I glanced at what would have been their best fantasy seasons. For Koufax, he had a 1965 season with 26 W, 382 K, 2.04 ERA, 0.85 WHIP. Carlton had a 1972 season with 27 W, 310 K, 1.97 ERA, 0.99 WHIP. Wow!

This lefty has pretty good stats too ...

Glenneration X

Re: 38 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 am

Ando wrote:You're starting to figure this out all out, Philly. Glenn will smile widely on his Saturday morning.
No doubt Matt! Philly, Wayne, and Russ are doing an absolutely great job running with this thread this year.

It feels good to be able to sit back and just enjoy it this season instead of having to personally come up with topics each day, search through dozens of jersey numbers, hundreds of pictures of baseball players, endless snapshots of hot women in baseball gear....

Ummm, errrr.....

Well, maybe I miss that last one just a bit. ;)

Keep up the great work Guys. It's been enjoyable and fun to follow.

Lunatic

Re: 32 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Lunatic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 pm

What was amazing about Carlton's '72 season with 27 Wins was the Phillies only won about 54 games (maybe one or two more, I don't have the exact number);
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:20 pm

31 days until Opening Day!

Tom Underwood had a very pedestrian 11 year major league career. He started 203 games, had a record of 86-87, ERA of 3.89 and had 18 saves. He played for 6 teams including the Phillies, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Yankees, A's and Orioles. He wore numbers 34, 40, 24, 38, 42, and from 1981-1983 with the Oakland A's, the number 31.

And for all the House of Cards fans, I'm sure many of you will be joining me tonight in watching another Underwood in action ...

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:45 am

After several years with a minor league team in Chicago, Greg Maddux found heaven in Atlanta. Always one of my favorites as he looks like an accountant who put on a uniform and just slipped onto the field.

He is the pitcher you want at the head of any rotation you can name. After Atlanta, he went back to Chicago to class them up a bit.

If you study this image long enough you might be able to barely make out the fact she is wearing a hat.
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:15 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Image

After several years with a minor league team in Chicago, Greg Maddux found heaven in Atlanta. Always one of my favorites as he looks like an accountant who put on a uniform and just slipped onto the field.

It's tough to choose when you have two HOF players that wore the same number.....
I'll go with both :D

Image Image

Greg Maddux and Fergie Jenkins combined to pitch 20 seasons for the Cubs (10 each).

With the Cubs only, they won 300 games and had 3,343 K's
They were a combined 54 games over .500, while at the same time, the Cubs teams they were on were a combined 51 games below .500

The Cubs retired both of their jerseys together.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 31 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:01 am

Not best known as a Brave, having played most of his early career in San Francisco, Orlando Cepeda did spend four years in Atlanta, one good, one great, and two injured. Still, he was one of my best friends growing up, Doby Herbrecht (yes, that really was his name), favorite ball player. He even named his pet turtle after Cepeda. Strange what we remember.

Anyway Cepeda was a winner. Though he did not help the Braves reach the promised land, he was part of three World Series Champions.

Everbody in Boston wants to spank the Yankees, right?
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 30 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Steve Stone might be best remembered for his 1980 Cy Young Award winning season when he won 25 games with Baltimore.

Or for his post-player career as one of the best baseball analyst on tv.

But from 1974 to 1976, Stone was a starting pitcher for the Cubs.
Over 3 seasons he won 23 games with a 4.04era

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 30 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:38 am

A person who killed so many hopes for a hit. One of a short-list of pitchers who are in the front of your mind when you want someone to have the ball when the game is REALLY big. Here is hoping one of your pitchers has a year like Smoltz's 1996.

Man it was fun to be a Braves fan back in the day...

OK, not a Braves or even baseball reference, but everyone likes to fish, right?

Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 29 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Ben Grieve was the second overall pick by the Oakland A's in the June 1994 draft. By March of 1998 he was Baseball America's number 1 rated prospect. That season he won the AL Rookie of the Year Award.

Grieve had good seasons in '99 and 2000, but it was downhill after that.

Grieve played his final Major League games with the Cubs in 2004 and 2005.

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 29 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:14 am

Bit of a forgotten guy in Braves history. More of a utility, pretty much a utility everywhere in the OF and at 1B. Had only 500+ AB one year, 1973 where he hit .294 with 16 HR, 82 RBI's and 74 runs scored and a .351 OBP. Played most of his career in Atlanta except for a three year stint with the Reds and part of his last year with the Cubs. First man born in Hawaii to play MLB since WWII when he came up in 1967 (he played 15 seasons). As of 2015, he still led all islanders in big-league games played (1,517). He ranked second in home runs (90) behind Shane Victorino. Lum was also the first American of Japanese Ancestry (AJA) in the majors.
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 28 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:14 am

I kind of forgot about Randy Myers, but he had a good career.
When Myers retired he was fifth all-time in Saves with 347.

Myers played 3 seasons with the Cubs, 1993-95.
He recorded 112 Saves during those three years, including leading the league in 1993 with 53.

What I do remember most......Sept 1995

After giving up a HR to James Mouton, a fan jumped out of the stands and charged Myers.
Randy dropped the attacker with forearm shiver and wrestled him to the ground.
Afterward, the attackers brother claimed that his brother had said ; "If he throws another home run, I'm going to run out there and give him what for"

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 28 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Crime dog in the house! Only in Atlanta four and a half years, but they were great years. McGriff was the first player to lead both the American and National Leagues in home runs since the 19th century. He was also the first player to hit 30 or more home runs for five different teams. McGriff came to the Braves on July 18, 1993 for three prospects: Vince Moore, Donnie Elliot, and Melvin Nieves. On his first game with the Braves against the Cardinals on July 20, a fire broke out in the press box.

They still played the game.

Welcome to the game, ya'll!
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 27 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:05 pm

26 Days to Go!

There can be no other choice than the 1961 ROY and 1987 HOF inductee.....
Sweet Swinging Billy Williams

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 27 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:00 am

Gene Garber played for the Braves from 1978 into 1986. Had a pitch so ugly he called it the "Thang". As a reliever, threw more than 100 IP six times. Saved 30 games for the '82 Braves in over 119 IP with a K-rate of 5.1 per nine. Times they be a changin'.

Adds a whole new meaning to "bench-warmer"!
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Re: 26 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:35 am

It seems like the first thing mentioned about Andruw Jones was how well he played center field. I get that. I have personally witnessed few better. An overused sentiment, but in his case true..he just made it look easy.

However, while he was with the Braves from 1996 through 2007, that nine year middle stretch from 1998 to 2006 was not too bad offensively either. He AVERAGED 671/592 PA/AB per season to go with 99 runs, 31 doubles, just over 35 HR, and over 104 RBI's. During that span never less than 26 HR, over 30 HR seven of those years, with 41 HR in 2006 and 51 HR in 2005.
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Re: 25 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:45 am

My first year working in minor league baseball was 1996 with the Richmond Braves. By mid-season, word started circulating about a young phenom named Jones coming up through the system. When he finally arrived in Richmond, the buzz was that he wouldn't be there long so enjoy him while you can. Every time he came to the plate, everyone stopped what they were doing to watch him hit. And did he deliver with massive light tower shots out of The Diamond. He was only there for a few games before jumping to the big leagues. Jones even hit 2 home runs in Game 1 of the World Series. Not a bad season for a 19 year old.

Philly High Hopes

Re: 26 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 am

25 days until Opening Day!

As much as I would like to lead with Thome in a Phillies uniform, it has to be with the Indians. His HOF career spanned 22 years and ended with 612 HR. He played during the glory years of the Indians of the late 90's, but could never bring a World Series to Cleveland. In fact a World Series title eluded him throughout his career. He was the first big name free agent the Phillies had signed in a long time in 2003, but was a few years too early before the Phillies began to make regular post-season appearances. His trade to the the White Sox in 2006 finally opened the door for Ryan Howard to crack the lineup. In addition to stints in Chicago and Minnesota, it's easy to forget he played a combined 45 games with the Dodgers and Orioles. He even returned to play 30 games in Philly in his final season of 2012.

And I know this is a baseball thread, but at least she is wearing #25:

Edwards Kings

Re: 25 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Cinderella never looked so ugly, but what a story that was in 2013. Gattis was a premier amateur baseball player in the Dallas–Fort Worth area through high school. However, anxiety and substance abuse led him to abandon his scholarship to Texas A&M University. Gattis' first job after quitting baseball was as a parking valet in Dallas. He then visited his sister in Boulder, Colorado, and decided to reside there. He sold his truck and worked in a pizza parlor and as a ski-lift operator at the Eldora Mountain Resort. Depressed, unable to sleep, and contemplating suicide, Gattis entered an inpatient psychiatric ward for three days in the summer of 2007, where he was diagnosed with clinical depression and an anxiety disorder. He was released into the care of his father.

After living in Colorado for seven months, Gattis then moved to Dallas with his brother, where they worked as janitors for Datamatics Global Services. He met a New Age spiritual advisor there, and on her advice, he followed her to Taos, New Mexico. There, he lived in a hostel and worked at a ski resort. Three months later, he moved to California to find more spiritual gurus. Gattis also moved to Wyoming, where he worked at Yellowstone National Park. After wandering around the Western United States for four years, he returned to baseball, and was drafted by the Braves in 2010. By 2013, he was in the majors and starting. Amazing.

Go Falcons!
Charles Krauthammer

Bjs2025

Re: 24 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Bjs2025 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:59 am

One of the more sad Cardinal stories. I was probably 13 when he made his MLB debut and my dad and I were so excited for what he'd become but he couldn't put it together. That one half season he came back as an OF and hit 11 Homers in the 2nd half was pretty amazing for us though. Miss you Rick!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.07 KiB) Viewed 6326 times

Navel Lint

Re: 24 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 pm

I like to use Cubs players for this countdown, but number 24 has been worn by so many good to great players, I had to include just a few.........

OK, have to include at least one Chicago Cubs player.......

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson