Opening Day Is Here!! Let The Games Begin

Edwards Kings

Re: 24 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:52 am

Justice is always mentioned with the other home-growns who were so instrumental in the core of the Braves 14 year run. Not a Doughboy favorite (only had 500+ AB once in the seven years as a regular because he took so many walks....big time name for OBP leagues), but what a year in '93 (90/40/120). Still only finished third in MVP voting behind (lyin, stealin, cheatin, sac-o-shit) Bonds and Dykstra .
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 23 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:38 pm

One of my personal top 5 favorite Cubs of alltime.......

#23 Ryne Sandberg

Here in Chicago we had another fairly good #23

I feel bad that Glenn hasn't seen too many NY players in this thread, so I'll add another of my favorite pictures...

:lol:
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 23 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:05 am

This is not a famous baseball player. Few will remember him at all. Rowland Office.

However, at one of the first ever live major league baseball game I ever attended, Office, known for his defense, took a Mike Ivie homer away from the Padre. In order to accomplish the feat, he got enough of his body over the top of the fence to actually fall over the other side. Best catch I ever witnessed personally.

Gosh, I love hanging out at the pool....it is so American!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Re: 22 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:41 pm

No Atlanta Braves have ever worn #21.Why? Because Warren Spahn did in Boston and Milwaukee.

What would the coaches today do with his "mechanics"? Famous for being "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain!" Guess there wasn't much faith in the rest of the Milwaukee rotation.

From 1947 to 1963 never threw less that 245 IP in a season and had 382 complete games in his career. Had a career K/9 rate of 4.4 yet he won 363 games and his in the Hall. Winningest LH pitcher.

I met him. He signed an 8x10 for me at a baseball card show.

Speaking of praying for rain...

Charles Krauthammer

Bjs2025

Re: 22 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Bjs2025 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Future bunting loving manager of the Cards
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 6383 times

Edwards Kings

Re: 21 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Known for his glove (he never hit more than 7 HR in a season), Mark Lemke sure was in the right place at the right time. In his 11-year career, Lemke played in 62 post season games and appeared in four World Series (1991, 1992, 1995, 1996). He won a World Series with the Braves in 1995, and he led all Braves players with a .417 batting average in the 1991 World Series (I believe he was named the Braves WS MVP, and as the first Atlanta Braves WS MVP, he won a wooden American Indian statue that used to be located at Fulton County Stadium). He also was the last out in the 1996 World Series, when the New York Yankees won their first World Series in 18 years. Lemke is the all time record holder for most career plate appearances without being hit by a pitch (3664).

You have to love the dirt players.
Charles Krauthammer

CA Dreamin

Re: 20 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by CA Dreamin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 pm

I count 19 days until the seasons starts!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:03 pm

CA Dreamin wrote:I count 19 days until the seasons starts!
We're counting Monday as the real Opening Day!! ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

CA Dreamin

Post by CA Dreamin » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Got it.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Andrelton Simmons was a joy to watch in field. A good number 19 for our countdown.

And Elektra King (Sophie Marceau), the Bond girl from the 19th Bond movie.

Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 19 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Lee Elia didn't have much of a Major League career.
He played 80 games with the White Sox in 1966 and then 15 games with the Cubs in 1968. That's it.
He did wear #19 with the Cubs as a player.

Elia did manage the Cubs for all of 1982 and most of '83.

Elia is most known for his tirade after a Cubs loss.
If there are any children in the area....cover their ears :o before listening.....

https://youtu.be/-KGcwE4FtGw

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Philly High Hopes

Re: 18 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Lee Elia didn't have much of a Major League career.
And he didn't have much of a managing career either. He had a career record of 238-300 in two seasons with both the Cubs and Phillies.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:11 pm

And Elektra King (Sophie Marceau), the Bond girl from the 19th Bond movie.
Now we're talking with Bond mentions! I recently finished Raymond Benson's books and now working on John Gardner. Eventually I'll finish up with Ian Fleming himself.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:26 pm

18 days until Opening Day!

The #18 is represented by two quality starters with injury concerns. Who outperforms their ADP?

Carlos Martinez - ADP 106

Hisashi Iwakuma - ADP 145

And to celebrate the Dominican Republic and Japan ...

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:47 pm

Ryan Klesko was a key member of those mid-90's Braves teams. Had his big year was in 1996 (90/34/93/.282) which was also his only year in Atlanta where he had 600+ AB. Then he went to some little town in Southern California where people play with boats and pretend to play baseball.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:59 pm

Hey, what happened to my Robin Yount photos when we got to Day 19? I sure wish I knew how to post photos. C'mon Wayne, you stole our Braves, the least you can do is post some nice Yount photos and some Wisconsin women photos!! ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:40 pm

... the least you can do is post some nice Yount photos and some Wisconsin women photos!!
Somehow I couldn't find any Yount photos but I did find a Wisconsin woman ...

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Well, that is a burning image I will never forget! It may be years before I order a cheeseburger again.

I didn't realized Yount played for the Braves? ;) Oh well, here you go!

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 am

All-Star and Gold Glove second baseman for the Atlanta Braves in the late sixties/early seventies. Then he went to play for some NY Yankee minor league team....the Mets I think. Felix “Nacho” (as a kid) or "Cat" (in the majors) Millán.

Using a bit of an opposite approach to the game as compared with today, in 6,325 plate appearances, the 172-pound right-handed batter whiffed only 242 times, establishing himself as the National League’s toughest hitter to strike out in four of his 12 major-league seasons. Fans also remember the funny way Millán held his bat, choking up so high it looked as if he’d punch himself in the stomach when he swung at a pitch. He obviously did not choke the bat to produce home runs because he hit only 22 in his major-league career. He choked the bat to get hits and move up runners. In 1,480 games, he had 1,617 hits and a batting average of .279.

Millán joined the Braves in the spring of 1966, the club’s first season in Atlanta after moving from Milwaukee. What he remembered most about his first day in Atlanta was meeting his future roommate, Hank Aaron. Approaching the new kid on the team, Aaron invited Millán to stay in his home rather than a hotel his first night in Atlanta. The next morning Aaron handed him a set of car keys. “Take my Camaro,” Hank said. Not only did Aaron loan Millán his car, he asked to room with the Puerto Rican (the 27th to make a Major League roster) when they played on the road. The two were roommates throughout Millán’s years with the Braves.

He was up and down in the minors for a few years. Back in Richmond in 1967, he teamed up with third baseman Bobby Cox and, as Laurence Leonard reported, the pair created a lot of interest in minor-league baseball, drawing huge crowds and leading their team to the International League pennant in 1967. With a .310 batting average, he won the minor-league Player of the Year award. The best thing that happened to Millán in Richmond was manager Lum Harris. Probably nobody in his baseball career believed in Millán more than Harris, who later claimed Millán to be the best second baseman in the National League.

Here you go Greg. Jim Gantner who played all his career in Milwaukeeeeeeee. Can't tell...is that Rose Gantner is using as a foot rest?
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:53 am

Edwards Kings wrote:

Fans also remember the funny way Millán held his bat, choking up so high it looked as if he’d punch himself in the stomach when he swung at a pitch. He obviously did not choke the bat to produce home runs because he hit only 22 in his major-league career. He choked the bat to get hits and move up runners. In 1,480 games, he had 1,617 hits and a batting average of .279.

Here's a picture of that stance....Image

Here you go Greg. Jim Gantner who played all his career in Milwaukeeeeeeee. Can't tell...is that Rose Gantner is using as a foot rest?
Rose wouldn't be caught dead in a Cardinals uniform..
Looks like it could be Ken Oberkfell
Last edited by Navel Lint on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Re: 17 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:12 am

People sometimes ask what Greg did before the NFBC.

I think I found the answer :lol:
GregA.jpg
GregA.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 6065 times
;)
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm

My bad. You are right. That is a Cardinals uniform. When I looked at it, I thought it might be Phillies.

Guys, I am in the black hole of internet access (i.e. my Dads) for the next few days, so I will pick up my contribution (i.e. Braves) to the countdown Monday.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Navel Lint wrote:People sometimes ask what Greg did before the NFBC.

I think I found the answer :lol:
GregA.jpg
;)

Now that is awesome...
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:14 pm

17 days until Opening Day!

There was only one #17 for me ... Ricky Jordan.

When he came up with the Phillies in 1988, he hit 301/11/43 over the last 69 games of the season. He, along with another rookie that year, Ron Jones (#26), were going to bring the Phillies back to respectability. I was just entering high school, so my baseball number had to be none other than #17. In his second season, Jordan was respectable hitting 285/12/75 over 144 games. I guess this is a good lesson as to why you can't simply say, "He hit 11 HR last year in 69 games, so in a full season, he'll hit 25." But after that, it was all down hill. He never played more than 101 games in a season over the next 5 years. Ron Jones, on the other hand, played in only 64 total games over 3 years follow his rookie campaign in 1988. His career basically ended crashing knee first into the right field wall at Shea Stadium. Jordan was around in 1993 for the Phillies run to the World Series, though he played sparingly as a right handed hitter of the bench. 17 is still my lucky number and I did something that countless of others have done out of admiration for a favorite athlete ...

Name their dog(s) after them. Let me introduce you to two of my best friends that are no longer with me:

Ricky

Ricky.jpg
Ricky.jpg (146.13 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Jordan

Jordan.jpg
Jordan.jpg (136.72 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Gates

Re: 16 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Gates » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:33 am

This is a fun thread to follow. Congrats guys...Surely hope some Montreal Expos pictures will show up in the final countdown, hinting 10, 8... :)
I should have flagged this earlier as 30 passed by without a Raines drop...

Gaëtan
Go ahead, make my day...