Opening Day Is Here!! Let The Games Begin

Navel Lint

Re: 16 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Known by some as the "right-handed Babe Ruth", HOFer Jimmie Foxx was a three-time MVP.

He played the bulk of his career with the Philadelphia Athletics and the Boston Red Sox. But he did play parts of two seasons with the Cubs at the end of his career where he wore number 16.

After his playing days, Foxx managed one season in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
In the movie, "A League of Their Own", Tom Hanks plays a character named Jimmy Dugan, which was loosely based on Foxx.

Here is an image from 1942.
Notice the "health" patch on his jersey. Players throughout the league wore this patriotic patch in 1942.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Is that the Drake LaRoche of the 40's in that picture?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Philly High Hopes wrote:Is that the Drake LaRoche of the 40's in that picture?
That looks like a young John Wayne Gacy in the locker room. Maybe he should've been in school instead. :twisted:

Edwards Kings

Re: 15 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Claudell Washington became a free agent after the 1980 season, and signed with the Atlanta Braves before the 1981 season. Washington spent the next five and a half seasons with the Braves, and was named to the All-Star team again in 1984. Funny thing...well not so funny for Claudell...Washington holds the dubious distinction of striking out 39 times against pitcher Nolan Ryan, more times than any other batter.

Thirty-five players in the history of Major League baseball have played in the All-Star Game as members of both the American League and National League squads. Two of the elite group represented the N.L. while wearing Atlanta Braves uniform; Hank Aaron (N.L. 1955-1974, A.L. 1975) and Claudell Washington (A.L. 1975, N.L. 1984).

Here you go Gates! Larry Parrish, who played a little baseball when he wasn't being a stunt double for Dan Haggerty on Grizzly Adams.

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:33 pm

As much of a Braves fan I am, I cannot dispute that there is only one #14.

Let's play two!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:44 am

14 days until Opening Day!

He may be banned from the Hall of Fame, but hopefully Pete Rose is not banned from this message board. How couldn't you like the way he played the game? He played with an attitude and an all-out determination. There was a reason why he was called Charlie Hustle. Rose had just come to the Phillies as I was starting to play little league baseball and was THE player I wanted to be. Rose is the one single player that solidified my love of the game. Yes, the end story is a sad one, but I try to remember the memories of Pete Rose the player, not the one we see and hear about today.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:06 am

Two images of Rose I can never get out of my mind...

Obviously the man would anything for money.

Never tried to slide...shoulder high...in an All-Star Game...I do find it ironic that Pete Rose spent one hundred and fifty-two days in jail in Marion, Illinois...where Ray Fosse is from and is still a local hero.

But Pete is an integral part of NFBC lore....

8-) :lol:
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 am

I left something out of my Rose post.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:49 am

This is my favorite Pete Rose moment.
In my mind, there is not a single better example of how hard Rose played...Every Game, Every Play, Every Pitch.

Rose is on third base.
Greg Gross hits a fly ball to the warning track in left field. It's deep enough that Mike Schmidt tags up from First Base and goes to second.
Watch Rose tag up from third base and run home. And then think about the fact that the run scored by Rose made the score 21-9 Phillies.

The video should start at 14:40, but if it doesn't, skip to that point.

https://youtu.be/YFrwJZRZYFI?t=14m40s

If someone played the game harder than Rose on every play, I'd have a hard time believing it.
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Philly High Hopes

Re: 14 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:24 am

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Lost in your point is that Schmidt was tagging up from first in a 20-9 game. But then, maybe the wind was blowing out that day in Wrigley!

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:48 am

Now I'm realizing the game you posted was the game the Phillies won 23-22. So it WAS important for Schmidt to tag up and WAS important for Rose to run hard to home. Today that would get you a pitch in the ear hole the next time up.

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:28 am

I have gotten to spend some time with Pete Rose over the years, two quick stories...He asked me, "Why doesn't Columbus have a pro football team? Cause' then Cincinnati and Cleveland would want one too!" Also when I asked him to name the toughest pitcher he ever faced, he said "statistically, it was Sandy Koufax, but the pitcher I hated to face the most was Randy Jones"
I remember as a kid, Randy Jones always seemed to tie the big red machine into knots
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 am

OK, now that IS Rose eating dirt just a bit outside the basepath he tries to hook slide Dave Concepción. Couldn't find any Braves that I wanted to post, so I thought I would bring up the nine time All Star, five time Gold Glove and even one Silver Slugger winning shortstop who played all 19 years in Cincinnati. From 1974 to 1985 (age 26 to 37), he played fewer than 140 games once. By 1975, Concepción joined Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Pérez, Ken Griffey, Sr., George Foster and César Gerónimo in the famous "Great Eight" starting lineup of The Big Red Machine that would help the Reds win the next two World Series titles. Probably my second favorite Red behind Bench.

If I cannot find a Atlanta Braves baseball player I like, how about a Braves (Freeman) wife? Chelsea Goff.
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 13 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 am

Ralph Branca

In 1951 he gave up the HR to Bobby Thompson that became known as "The Shot Heard 'round the World"

https://youtu.be/lrI7dVj90zs

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 13 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:11 am

A real legend (#12 his last year playing and also his only year in Atlanta).

"Hey, I think it's easy for guys to hit .300 and stay in the big leagues. Hit .200 and try to stick around as long as I did; I think it's a much greater accomplishment. That's hard."

"The biggest thrill a ballplayer can have is when your son takes after you. That happened when my Bobby was in his championship Little League game. He really showed me something. Struck out three times. Made an error that lost the game. Parents were throwing things at our car and swearing at us as we drove off. Gosh, I was proud."

"I think my top salary was maybe in 1966. I made $17,000 and 11 of that came from selling other players' equipment."

"When I came up to bat with three men on and two outs in the ninth, I looked in the other team's dugout and they were already in street clothes."

"I set records that will never be equaled. In fact, I hope 90% of them don't even get printed."

"If a guy hits .300 every year, what does he have to look forward to? I always tried to stay around .190, with three or four RBI. And I tried to get them all in September. That way I always had something to talk about during the winter."

Bob Uecker

Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 12 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:53 am

Charlie Root wore a couple of different numbers with the Cubs, in 1932 he wore #12.

Everyone knows the Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908, but what a lot of people don't realize is that the Cubs made it back to the WS seven more times after that, losing each time.

One of those WS losing attempts happened in 1932 against the NY Yankees.
In Game 3 of that Series, top of the first inning ................

I'll let Babe take it from here (3 min video).............

https://youtu.be/HkEX0eb2eBo

Here is Charlie Root.
He is still the Cubs all-time leader in Wins with 201

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 12 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Since we have already had John Wayne Gacy, I figured we should have a better example of a guy with a middle name of Wayne...of course besides myself. Darrell Wayne Evans was an All-Star third baseman for the Braves in the early 70's. In 1973 he had a 114/41/104/.281 career year. An what is more, he knew how to take a walk...124 walks in 1973 with a .402 OBP.

Evans nick name? Howdy Doody!

Eye candy.

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Re: 11 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Here you go Gates! Andre Dawson. Parts of 21 Years in the majors, starting with Montreal. ROY 1977. Eight Gold Gloves. Four Silver Sluggers. Eight All-Star games. 1987 MVP (with the Cubbies). His best year may not have been his MVP year. In 1983, he led the National League with 189 hits and 341 total bases. He also batted .299 with 32 home runs and 113 RBIs – the first time he reached either the 30 homer or 100 RBI plateau. He also scored 104 runs and stole 25 bases. He was named The Sporting News Player of the Year, but for the second time, he finished second in the NL MVP voting. Who could he have lost to? Why Atlanta centerfielder Dale Murphy.

Now, what other #10 could there possibly be, hmmmmm?

Larry....Larry....Larry!
Charles Krauthammer

Gates

Re: 11 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Gates » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Pretty cool, thanks Wayne
See you in a week!!!!

Gates
Go ahead, make my day...

Navel Lint

Re: 10 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:17 am

From 1974 to 1998, 9 different Cubs wore number 10.

Among them were ....

Dave Kingman, one of the greatest pure power hitters in baseball history. He couldn't do much else, but when he hit the ball it went a long way.

And Leon Durham. Don't get me started on '84 :o

But in 2003, the Cubs held a long overdue retirement for #10.
It was forever retired in honor of the best third baseman in Cubs history.
HOFer Ron Santo

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:57 pm

10 days until Opening Day!

The Phillies had another "gamer" that wore #10 ...

And when posting about the #10, you can't leave out the "Perfect 10" ...

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:34 am

How about a two-fer?

Born in Atlanta and went to school in Atlanta, Marquis Grissom started his career in Montreal before coming home for two years (then CLE, MIL, LAD and finally SF). Two time All-Star, four time Gold Glove, he definitely had some wheels in his mid-20's when he stole 207 bases in three years. But he was no Judy. Had 10 or more HR from '92 to '04 with his best power years later in his career (hmmmm?).

And as an added bonus, TP!

BTW, I always hated those corn-rows on Bo Derek.

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Re: 9 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:33 am

And at least one more for Gates. Gary "Kid" Carter. Though this player is deeply loved in two camps.

Inducted into the Hall of Fame by BBWAA as Player in 2003 (387/496 ballots). I am always amazed that certain players are not unanimous. The BBWAA must be filled with brain dead jerks. Anyway, The Expos retired Carter’s uniform No. 8 in 1993, and it retains that status with the Washington Nationals. In May 2011, Carter began to experience headaches and forgetfulness. He was diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. His case was inoperable, but he fought it with a course of radiation and chemotherapy, displaying they say the same positive outlook and competitive fire as always. Carter passed away February 16, 2012.

How about another catcher?

Rookie of the Year and three time All-Star Javy Lopez.

And for Greg and Tom, though they may not see this since they are busting hump trying to close out the leagues, a real "love-him-or-hate-him" kinda guy, Ryan Braun.

Charles Krauthammer

Gates

Re: 8 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Gates » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:28 am

Wow, Marquis then The Kid...thanks Wayne, much appreciated...brings back lots a great memories...

Gates
Go ahead, make my day...

Brock

Re: 8 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Brock » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Can't do 8 without Yogi the great. One of the best baseball men of all-time and 10 rings to boot. "Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore...it's to crowded."