Opening Day Is Here!! Let The Games Begin

Edwards Kings

Re: 8 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:57 am

In honor of Childs, I thought I would put up current (maybe) and former Brave Jeff Francoeur, the man who loves every pitch!

Yup, that is him, heading back to the dugout....again. Still, he played every game for the Braves in '06 and '07, hitt nearly 50 HR in those two years, batted somehow .293 in '07, and had over 208 RBI's during that span. The future WAS bright.

OK, so I missed Yogi, but how about the Mick?

He kept some good company too!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 7 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 pm

MLB held it's very first Amateur Draft in June of 1965.
The KC Athletics had the first pick. They used that pick to select Arizona State college All-American Robert James "Rick" Monday.

After several seasons with the KC/Oakland A's, Rick Monday was traded to the Cubs for Ken Holtzman prior to the 1972 season.
Monday's best year with the Cubs was 1976. He hit 32 HR's while batting .272

In April of that 1976 season, the year America was celebrating our bicentennial, Rick Monday made his greatest play.....

Here is the video of the event.... https://youtu.be/IrV8QPQAhxo
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Nice Russel. Best post yet.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:35 am

Having first played around a few years with a second tier franchise in New York, Clete Boyer came down to Atlanta and had arguably his best years including his only Gold Glove in 1967. At least that is what my '68 season baseball card said.

But there are a couple of other notable mentions (strangely enough that were not Braves):

Sal Bando, here as a Brewer but unfortunately after his All-Star years in Oakland, though he first two years in Milwaukee were not bad.

Al Kaline who played in Detroit, won eight Gold Gloves, and was an All-Star an amazing 15 years, including the last of his 22 year career and at one point 13 years in a row.

And another guy who spent 22 years with the same club, Stan Musial. The Man was an All-Star for 20 consecutive years, MVP three times (second four times).

Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 6 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Stan 'The Man" Musial

Musial had at least 1 RBI on 10 different Opening Days.
The only players to do it more often.....
Frank Robinson-14
Willie Mays-11
Eddie Murray-11

Also wearing #6 during his career was Boston infielder Johnny Pesky

Pesky was a Boston fan favorite and the right field foul pole in Fenway Park has been named in his honor.

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Re: 6 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:53 am

Too many GREAT players were #5 in our programs, #1 in our hearts. So, I will go with two Braves.

I am not sure I have ever seen a better swing than Bob Horner. Back in the days when it was Horner and Murphy and Hubbard and Raffy and when Cox made the team that Torre took credit for and subsequently destroyed. A ROY and an All-Star, injuries took Horner out of the game while he was still in his prime. Shame.

To another sweet-swinging Brave, Freddie. I feel really bad sometimes for really good players who end up trying to make sows-ear teams into silk purses. And his $8.5M raise that is due next year puts a target on his back for the rebuilding franchise. Still, I wonder how many other players finished second in the ROY voting to his own team mate (Kimbrel)?
Charles Krauthammer

Navel Lint

Re: 5 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Just some of the Great #5's ..........

Lou Boubreau

Albert Pujols

Joe DiMaggio

Brooks Robinson

George Brett

Johnny Bench
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Throughout this thread we have been posting pictures of great players, or players that have meant something to Wayne and I personally from their respective times with either the Braves or Cubs.

I just posted some of the Great players to have worn #5, none of them Cubs, although Lou Boudreau is near and dear to the hearts of any Cubs fan over the age of 45ish.

But there is one Cubs player to wear #5 that I would like to post.

His name is Tuck Stainback.

Who is that?
Well, WAR might not be the end-all stat, but according to it's approximation of player value, Tuck Stainback was the worst player ever to wear #5.
Over his 13 year career with the Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers, Athletics, Cardinals and Phillies; Tuck had a career WAR of -6.57

So just remember Tuck on Opening Day or during the draft. Not every player is gonna be a first rounder.

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:01 pm

OK, heading out tomorrow for VEGAS, so this will be my last post on the countdown. And, since I do not want Greg and Tom to have some of their "assistants" (shown below)...

show me the door, I thought I would put one more Brewer, Paul Molitor....

Second to Lou Whitaker in ROY voting in 1978 and MVP to Frank Thomas in 1993, Molitor was a seven time All-Star and four time Silver Slugger. When I first started playing fantasy baseball, Molitor was one of those star, steady, solid picks we all wanted to anchor our teams.

From the Braves side....

Larvell "Sugar Bear" Blanks was SOOOO good, they had to use some of Mel Ott's highlights on his baseball card!
Charles Krauthammer

Philly High Hopes

Re: 4 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:09 am

4 days until Opening Day!

Known as "Nails" and "The Dude", Lenny Dykstra carried the Phillies to the 1993 NL Pennant. Dykstra also won a World Series ring in 1986 with the Mets. Here's another guy who was beloved by his fans during his playing days, then his personal life spiraled out of control after he was done playing.
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.1 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
By the way, did anyone see the "Outside the Lines" segment last weekend about chewing tobacco in the major leagues? Not only is it hazardous to your health, it could get you arrested this year at a major league stadium near you. At least in New York.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:13 am

Wayne and Russel - Thanks for your commitment to keeping this thread rolling. It was enjoyable to follow and educational as well. I tried to participate as time allowed. Wayne - I'm looking forward to not only meeting you in Vegas but also competing against you in the Main Event.

Dave

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 pm

"Nice guys finish last" - Leo Durocher

It was in reference to Mel Ott's managerial career that Durocher made his famous quip.
Ott may not have been the best manager, but he was a great player.

When Ott retired, he was ....
3rd all-time in HR's
5th all-time in RBI
2nd all-time in Walks.
He had a career .304 BA, and his lifetime 155 OPS+ is 24th best of all-time

11 years after retiring, Ott was involved in a 2-car accident. The crash was blamed on foggy conditions.

Ott passed away one week later while in surgery
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Philly High Hopes

Re: 3 Days Until Opening Day!! Let The Games Begin

Post by Philly High Hopes » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am

3 days until Opening Day!
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.87 KiB) Viewed 4803 times

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:07 am

2 days until Opening Day!

image.jpg
image.jpg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 4758 times

Drafts are finally winding down and it's soon time to play some real games. Off to the Main Event in Vegas shortly which will be the end of my most exciting draft season ever. You always hear Greg and Tom talk about the fun of the live drafts, and I have to concur. This is my fourth year in the NFBC and my third year coming to Vegas. The experience keeps getting better and better. Yesterday I spent nearly 10 hours in an executive suite doing back to back auctions with the NL and AL. Talk about fun. Yes, it was better than Christmas. Nothing like being immersed in nothing but baseball with more than 2 dozen, like-minded guys that all know their stuff. And now, it's time to finish off the draft season with 6 ME drafts, 90+ owners, all taking place at the same time. You really can't beat the thrill and excitement.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 am

1 day until Opening Day!

(Unless you are the Cards, Pirates, Rays, Jays, Mets or Royals)

image.jpg
image.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 4727 times

Cardinals and Pirates coming up soon. It's time to start banking some stats!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:12 am

Good Luck Everyone! Have a Great Season.

Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Great job on this thread, fellas. So many great memories while scrolling through here.