brian4state

May 4th Gameday Thread

Post by brian4state » Wed May 04, 2016 9:57 am

May the 4th be with you!

DOUGHBOYS

Re: May 4th Gameday Thread

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 am

I'll use this thread to vent a little bit. :D

The press, especially the sports press blows so many things out of proportion.
Even in just the words they use. Every new series that begins for baseball teams is 'A Big Series'.
No it's not.
It's just another series among many. But that doesn't sound good, so every series is 'big'.

Jason Grilli was said to be 'showcased' by the Braves in the Closer spot.
What is there to showcase?
Grilli is 40!
Everybody knows everything about Grilli !
Grilli's 'showcasing' lasted one game when he blew a Save on Opening Day and Vizcaino was named Closer the next.
SHOWCASE THAT!
Now, it is said that Tim Lincecum is going to have a 'Showcase'.
When I was young and somebody didn't have a job in sports and tried to show his skills to teams, it was called a 'tryout'.
Not good enough in these times.
A tryout doesn't sound near as good as 'showcasing' now does it.

Pitchers like Grilli and Lincecum have had their best years.
We all know that.
In reality, Lincecum will be trying to impress no human at his tryout.
Instead, most questions will be answered by what those humans are carrying.
The speed gun.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 am

Man I hate Star Wars. My work is literally going to be infested with losers wearing children's costumes today and it will be accepted as normal. I'm sure there will be cupcakes in the break room or some crap too.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 am

Jake Peavy is showcasing his (lack of) skills today...
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 04, 2016 11:56 am

The Mets have six homers (so far) in their series vs. the Braves.
Same total the Braves have for the year....
On my tombstone-

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm

to continue dan's tirade. kris medlen showcasing his lack of value today

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed May 04, 2016 12:45 pm

brian4state wrote:May the 4th be with you!
:roll:

Man, you are truly gonna fit in well here.... :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

I guess the Mets were a little pissed about losing last night...
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Wed May 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Sat Cozart thinking that knee would be at least 3-4 days.
:oops:
bastard

brian4state

Post by brian4state » Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:
brian4state wrote:May the 4th be with you!
:roll:

Man, you are truly gonna fit in well here.... :lol:
I'm not really a huge Star Wars fan. Of course, I have seen all the movies, but that's about the extent of it. I knew that would fire a few of you up either way.

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed May 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Rubby De La Suck-osa.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 05, 2016 5:05 am

So I sat Jason Castro in favor of Plawecki....brilliant....
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu May 05, 2016 11:12 am

Ek- man that just sucked. i just hadda laugh last night. i think they are off today so no more pain. - btw- you are mixing presidential metaphors on the other thread. near as i can tell you love military guys- but also think experience counts- you know- to get that agenda through. Ike was a military guy with no experience- and he did pretty well. put his wife in charge of the inter state highway system, good people in charge of the "agenda" and played golf for 8 years. on the other hand reagan chose bush- you know- to get his agenda through and after 8 years of doing that for ronnie and then campaigning on that READ MY LIPS NO NEW TAXES!!!!!!! pledge- he compromised to get his agenda through- and raised taxes. That got perro to run- costing the Republicans TWO presidencies- and giving us the Clintons. Bill- while spending 8 years screwing everything that moved- ignored the cia when told they had this guy named bin laden in their sights and he needed to be taken out. Clinton gave way us another Bush- who would have been a one term president- if not for 9/11. Bush then "went after the people that did this to us" and attacked Iraq- even though the attackers were mostly saudi- and almost assuredly backed with saudi $. He also vowed to "get bin ladin'- which of course he did not- OBAMA DID. The war in iraq gave us ISIS- which is a jv team like obama said. My dad and all the ww11 vets must be rolling over in their graves listening to us worry about 50,000 untrained punks when they defeated-along with england and russia- 20 million highly trained and well equipped germans- in about 1/4 the time for about 1/20th the $. oh- and btw- Bush ushered in the greatest recession in history. If the stock market is capitalism- one thing the last 30 years has taught us- you want that market to go up- elect a democrat. and yes- i can't stand the democratic party and yes i know correlation does not equal causation- but those are the facts.