Wish List Of Improvements For NFBC 2018

fwicker

Wish List Of Improvements For NFBC 2018

Post by fwicker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:23 pm

I like the idea of an average pick time with one caveat: it should be normalized for all geographies. I'm on the west coast and there's no way I'm going to pick at 4AM PST which would be 7AM EST and a very common pick time, especially for those who pick before they go to work on the East coast. On the flip side I'm happy to pick between 9PM and Midnight PST, but that's Midnight to 3AM EST and there's very little possibility of any activity.

A solution to this would be core hours fair to both coasts, e.g. 11AM to 11PM EST.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Baseball Furies

Re: Wish List Of Improvements For NFBC 2018

Post by Baseball Furies » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:08 am

fwicker wrote:I like the idea of an average pick time with one caveat: it should be normalized for all geographies. I'm on the west coast and there's no way I'm going to pick at 4AM PST which would be 7AM EST and a very common pick time, especially for those who pick before they go to work on the East coast. On the flip side I'm happy to pick between 9PM and Midnight PST, but that's Midnight to 3AM EST and there's very little possibility of any activity.

A solution to this would be core hours fair to both coasts, e.g. 11AM to 11PM EST.

This is why a sleep clock would work great in this situation as well. :)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

converge241

Post by converge241 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 am

Mock Drafts
75 Round Draft Champions

Daren E

Post by Daren E » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:59 am

+1 on the text option during the DCs. But also give us the choice of getting a text and/or an email only when my team is on the clock and not for every pick of the draft. I also like the idea to stop the clock overnight but still allow picks during that time, in conjunction with a faster clock or a cumulative clock per owner. I would suggest stopping it from midnight to 9am EST (9pm-6am PST).
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
5-Time Live League Champion/Las Vegas

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: Oh, and we are able to take American Express again. I know that's a positive point for some of our customers. That is available for 2017 NFBC, so plan accordingly.
Good to hear about American Express for 2017.

Since this is a 2018 wish list, please consider adding additional payments options. PayPal is almost a must-add. I would also recommend adding Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 am

Stats and results, FAAB and results downloadable into to excel or csv (i.e. without having to copy/paste).
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:20 am

1. Cumulative stats. I should be able to see how I was doing in my league at a certain previous point in time, not just a certain week of the season. I can currently do this by looking at my past emails, but this should be a feature on the website.

2. Custom data. If I want to see how my team has performed, say from May 1 to June 15, I should have that capability.

Bags

Post by Bags » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Oh, I forgot to add this one:

12. Building our own online auction software.

I know this is part of the plan, which will be a great addition to the NFBC and NFFC.

Very excited to see this one!

Also very interested in weekly contests!

fwicker

3rd Round Reversal

Post by fwicker » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:06 pm

I know that it has been reported that in regards to draft order each place has won as much as any other place. Two questions: does that hold true for overall money (i.e. place money); and how does that jive with disproportionate dollar values between the draft orders? You may argue that in-season management makes up the difference but that should even out and not be a significant factor given the large number of leagues.

Intuitively it seems like drafting first is a big advantage over drafting 15th.

Any consideration for 3RR or 5RR?
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Bjs2025

Re: 3rd Round Reversal

Post by Bjs2025 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 pm

fwicker wrote:I know that it has been reported that in regards to draft order each place has won as much as any other place. Two questions: does that hold true for overall money (i.e. place money); and how does that jive with disproportionate dollar values between the draft orders? You may argue that in-season management makes up the difference but that should even out and not be a significant factor given the large number of leagues.

I may quit the nfbc if baseball goes to 3rr.

RobSilver

Post by RobSilver » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:11 am

fwicker wrote:I know that it has been reported that in regards to draft order each place has won as much as any other place. Two questions: does that hold true for overall money (i.e. place money); and how does that jive with disproportionate dollar values between the draft orders? You may argue that in-season management makes up the difference but that should even out and not be a significant factor given the large number of leagues.

The guy who got lucky and won the Overall last year drafted out of the 15th slot.

In my opinion 3RR for baseball would make the game far less interesting and is unnecessary for competitive balance. There is no perfect draft slot in baseball- it depends entirely on your perception of the player pool and the roster you're hoping to construct.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:53 am

RobSilver wrote:

The guy who got lucky and won the Overall last year drafted out of the 15th slot.

In my opinion 3RR for baseball would make the game far less interesting and is unnecessary for competitive balance. There is no perfect draft slot in baseball- it depends entirely on your perception of the player pool and the roster you're hoping to construct.
Haha far too humble Rob. Miss you on FNTSY network back in the day.

RobSilver

Post by RobSilver » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:
So YOU were the guy who used to watch (thanks!)

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:07 pm

RobSilver wrote:
Bjs2025 wrote:
So YOU were the guy who used to watch (thanks!)
Hahah, hey it was great analysis that you don't find many places. Particularly liked your Larry Schechter interview.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Two more potential improvements for your consideration.

1. This is for folks who like to do the 50-player DC leagues: modify the software so that owners can manipulate the order of players on their benches. In the DC leagues, I have 27 players on my bench. Invariably, I may have ten or more on the DL It would be nice to be able to move those players, and perhaps some real scrubs, down to the bottom of my bench and move those players more likely to be inserted into the starting lineup to the top of my bench. For folks with a lot of teams, this would make lineup changes easier and quicker.

2. This is for folks who do a lot of leagues: provide an option on the "My Teams" page or somewhere to do searches for players on my teams. For instance, there is an announcement that Player X's wife has gone into labor and he'll be out for a few days. I know I own Player X on several teams but which ones? It'd be nice to be able to type in that player's name and see that I have him on the following four teams, with links to those teams so I can quickly hop into those teams and remove that player from my starting lineups. (I try to keep an index of my players but it is a pain to prepare and then maintain with weekly FAAB for some teams and also I do not always have access to my index if I'm out and about.)

I don't consider either of these suggested improvements to be essential, but they would be welcome. Thanks.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:Two more potential improvements for your consideration.

1. This is for folks who like to do the 50-player DC leagues: modify the software so that owners can manipulate the order of players on their benches. In the DC leagues, I have 27 players on my bench. Invariably, I may have ten or more on the DL It would be nice to be able to move those players, and perhaps some real scrubs, down to the bottom of my bench and move those players more likely to be inserted into the starting lineup to the top of my bench. For folks with a lot of teams, this would make lineup changes easier and quicker.

2. This is for folks who do a lot of leagues: provide an option on the "My Teams" page or somewhere to do searches for players on my teams. For instance, there is an announcement that Player X's wife has gone into labor and he'll be out for a few days. I know I own Player X on several teams but which ones? It'd be nice to be able to type in that player's name and see that I have him on the following four teams, with links to those teams so I can quickly hop into those teams and remove that player from my starting lineups. (I try to keep an index of my players but it is a pain to prepare and then maintain with weekly FAAB for some teams and also I do not always have access to my index if I'm out and about.)

I don't consider either of these suggested improvements to be essential, but they would be welcome. Thanks.

Mike
Both of these would be great improvements, especially the second one.

coachmo

Post by coachmo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:57 pm

The only thing offered early is a slow draft with 8 hours per pick wish you offered a slow draft with like 2 hours to pick so serious players could play and have enough like 2 hours to pick and avoid people registering who don't care and take the full 8 hours each time infuriating the people who care.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:52 pm

DC Cutline

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:56 am

coachmo wrote:The only thing offered early is a slow draft with 8 hours per pick wish you offered a slow draft with like 2 hours to pick so serious players could play and have enough like 2 hours to pick and avoid people registering who don't care and take the full 8 hours each time infuriating the people who care.
We have the 4 hour per pick option and will form a league anytime for owners who want a quicker format, like around 8-10 rounds per day. This is easy to do. I can start a thread to see who is interested in another one of these. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 am

the ability to prevent emails about draft picks from a draft that finished 3 days ago from coming through would be nice

Big League Wood

Post by Big League Wood » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:59 am

I would like there to be a "notes" function in the draft room.

This would be helpful to jot down players and strategies between turns, as some drafters take excessive time to pick. Of course, I would request this to be available from mobile/ phone, as this is how many draft during work hours.

CA Dreamin

Post by CA Dreamin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:26 am

How about having leagues where the winner of the bid pays a dollar more than the next highest price bid on a free agent.

Example:

Two team owners bid on Nomar Mazara. Owner A bids $238 and owner B bids $799. Owner B wins the free agent bid and ends up paying $239.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 am

CA Dreamin wrote:How about having leagues where the winner of the bid pays a dollar more than the next highest price bid on a free agent.

Example:

Two team owners bid on Nomar Mazara. Owner A bids $238 and owner B bids $799. Owner B wins the free agent bid and ends up paying $239.
That's Vickery FAAB. I like it too, first heard about it in one of the big industry leagues.
We've asked about it before and IIRC the answer was "never".
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:How about having leagues where the winner of the bid pays a dollar more than the next highest price bid on a free agent.

Example:

That's Vickery FAAB. I like it too, first heard about it in one of the big industry leagues.
That doesn't appear to make much sense, just overbid and you will get the player at much cheaper price? No comprende on this one.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Deadheadz wrote:

Example:

That doesn't appear to make much sense, just overbid and you will get the player at much cheaper price? No comprende on this one.
It somewhat self regulates. Say six people throw in bids on a player of modest talent and three decide to bid large, hoping to walk away with him for a dollar over top bid. Next thing you know, somebody has won Denard Span for 713 bucks.