New Team Name

Edwards Kings

New Team Name

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:13 pm

"Goodbye, New Orleans Zephyrs. Hello, New Orleans Baby Cakes.

The Miami Marlins' Triple-A team, based in New Orleans since moving from Denver in 1993, has been renamed to the Baby Cakes, according to a team release.

The new nickname was selected from a group of seven finalists in a "Name the Team" contest that garnered more than 3,000 submissions. In a nod to the Crescent City, the nickname refers to Mardi Gras king cakes, which have small plastic babies hidden inside. The team's new identity includes many iconic Mardi Gras elements, such as team colors mixing the Zephyrs' dark navy blue with gold, purple and green. The primary logo is a baby wearing a crown, bursting out of a king cake with a baseball bat in hand.

The New Orleans Baby Cakes' first game will be on April 6 against the Memphis Redbirds."

Really? What were the runner-up names? The New Orleans...

Turdburglers
Coppasquats
Crotch Rots
Master Baiters

Geez...and I thought the Savannah Sand Gnats was bad...
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Deadheadz

Re: New Team Name

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Bad team names:

Edmonton Cracker-Cats
After our AAA Pacific Coast League team the Edmonton Trappers were "traded" to Round Rock TX in exchange for a Dell Computers call center (which they pulled out within 3 years) in 2004 we had a 9000+ seat ballpark with no tenant. Enter the Northern League and the team who's name was chosen from a short list of fan submitted monikers in a contest.

The term Cracker-Cat comes from Fluid Catalytic Cracking done in oil refineries. The Cracker-Cat is a refinery worker who is involved in this process.

By the end of 2008 there was a lot of complaining from players, coaches and fans from other teams in the league saying the word Cracker shouldn't be part of a team name because it was a racist term.

Cleveland Indians, Washington Redskins and the Edmonton Cracker-Cats.
Edmonton_Cracker_Cats.jpg
Edmonton_Cracker_Cats.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
"The More You Know..."
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Boo.

- the Zefurs

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

I owe an apology to the New Orleans Baby Cakes. The Braves had a contest late last year to name their Class A-Advanced team which will play in the the the Florida State League. Now playing in Kissimmee, Florida (formally the Brevard County Manatees), the team will be known as the "Florida Fire Frogs". The runner up names were Florida Dragonflies, Florida Mud Kickers, Florida Rodeo Clowns, Florida Sorcerers, and Florida Toucans. Exactly how silly are the people in Florida?

Now we know the kingdoms from "The Princess Bride" must have been in Florida because they must have discovered a fourth deadly challenge to the Fire Swamp besides the flame spurts, lightning sand, and R.O.U.S. (rodents of unusual size).

Fire Frogs? Gimme a break....

And my hometown, Savannah, GA, lost its latest pro team (the...groan...Sand Gnats) in 2015. Savannah had had a pro team for 90 years (in various forms, names and affiliations). However, all is not lost...On September 22, 2015, the Coastal Plain League (an amateur, collegiate summer baseball league) announced Savannah as its newest team to begin play for 2016. On February 25, following a name-the-team contest, the "Savannah Bananas" were announced.

The Savannah Bannanas? I may hurl...

The Bananas have gained local and national recognition for ticket sales and marketing. The team sold out 17 of 22 games played at Grayson Stadium in their first season. Their innovative marketing includes the use of videos including "Can't Stop the Peeling," "Field of Dreams," and "This is Bananas." They actually won the league championship in 2016 (which was more than Atlanta could do).
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

davetniagarafalls

Post by davetniagarafalls » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Well you sucked me in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7jrD9x5pGI
The Can't Stop the Peeling video is actually pretty fun.
That's what minor league baseball (or whatever that is) should be all about.
"Dont sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 pm

I always enjoyed taking liberties with the pronunciation of the Kissimmee Astros.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 pm

davetniagarafalls wrote:Well you sucked me in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7jrD9x5pGI
The Can't Stop the Peeling video is actually pretty fun.
That's what minor league baseball (or whatever that is) should be all about.
Fun...yes...sometimes silly...absolutely! I loved Max Patkin.

But still...Bananas? :lol:
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 pm

Yah Mule wrote:I always enjoyed taking liberties with the pronunciation of the Kissimmee Astros.

And I bet it did not take too many beers... ;) :D
Charles Krauthammer

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 pm

What? No mention of the recently named Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp?

I mean if you don't support that team, you're just being shellfish.

Sorry. I'll show myself out.

COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Dustmite

Post by Dustmite » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Quack.
RotoSaurus.com

Redgta91

Post by Redgta91 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 am

Even if it's only for one game against the aforementioned Rubber Ducks....Reading Whoopies
Attachments
C4KVsJLXUAoHzNc.jpg
C4KVsJLXUAoHzNc.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:50 am

Okaaayyy...had to go to Wilkipedia for this...The whoopie pie (alternatively called a black moon, gob [term indigenous to the Pittsburgh region], black-and-white, bob, or "BFO" for Big Fat Oreo is a US baked product that may be considered either a cookie, pie or cake. It is made of two round mound-shaped pieces of chocolate cake with a sweet, creamy filling or frosting sandwiched between them. Pennsylvania, Maine, Massachusetts, Virginia and New Hampshire all claim to be the birthplace of the whoopie pie. The whoopie pie is the official state treat of Maine (not to be confused with the official state dessert, which is blueberry pie).

So I have learned something today. I should go home while I am ahead.

Now as a guy who was raised on moon pies, I can get behind this...for eating. Not so sure about a team name and those shit-brown uniforms are ugly. Thanks for sharing.
Charles Krauthammer