the brawl in Bean Town

Dickie V

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Dickie V » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:50 am

After last night we all knew this one was coming. Looks like Coco was lucky to get out alive. Never did see Manny being Manny out helping his teammates. Pretty decent brawl.

sportsbettingman

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Damn...I just missed it.

I did get to see Ellsbury roll his wrist very badly.

Didn't look good.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

eddiejag

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by eddiejag » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Yeah ive got Shields like in 5 leagues , so he suck's tonight and will probably miss a start or two because of the brawl.I also heard Crawford could get suspended too , just great heve him in the auction with Broken finger Pena.A great frigging start to the week.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Red Sox Nation

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Jonny Gomes is a scum bag! Throwing hay-makers on a pinned down Crisp. That was an entertaining brawl though.

My guess on suspensions:

Shields 6 games (start just pushed back a few days)

Crisp 5

Gomes 5

Crawford 4 (also throwing cheap shots)

Iwamura 3
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Navel Lint

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes it was an intentional bean ball. But it was below the waist.

He could have thrown a couple of balls low and away and then up and in at Coco’s head ( like Pedro or Clemens would have). He sent his message with professional courtesy. Everyone always wants to see baseball played the “right way”. In my mind, that was the right way.

Coco should have just dropped his bat and then went down to first. If he wants to make the pitcher pay then he could have stole second and hope to score in the inning.

It looked to me like Coco took a second or two to decide if he had to “man up” in front of his teammates.

Gomes looked like a punk throwing those cheap shots.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

mdz129

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by mdz129 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:47 pm

Great Brawl --Shields--If you're going to throw a punch do it with your NON-pitching hand--he should be gone 6 games COCO gone 10 games--sending a message about charging the mound--The Goon Gomes-- 6 Games for excessive force/3rd man in--Crawford(he looked like Mickey Rivers with cheap shots) 5 games--Iwamura 2 games

Net result--Rays have spent their LAST NIGHT IN 1ST PLACE--Really dumb--When you're at the top everyone is shooting for you--poor coaching.

Red Sox Nation

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Originally posted by mdz129:

Great Brawl --Shields--If you're going to throw a punch do it with your NON-pitching hand--he should be gone 6 games COCO gone 10 games--sending a message about charging the mound--The Goon Gomes-- 6 Games for excessive force/3rd man in--Crawford(he looked like Mickey Rivers with cheap shots) 5 games--Iwamura 2 games

Net result--Rays have spent their LAST NIGHT IN 1ST PLACE--Really dumb--When you're at the top everyone is shooting for you--poor coaching. 10 games for Coco????????? He didn't bring a bat to the mound.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Navel Lint

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Originally posted by mdz129:

Crawford(he looked like Mickey Rivers with cheap shots) I just watched it again. Crawford really did come in late and take some cheap shots at Coco's head as he lay under the pile. :eek:
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Asumijet

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Asumijet » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Originally posted by Dickie V:

Never did see Manny being Manny out helping his teammates. He was busy waiting for Youkilis in the dugout. :confused:
Neal Moses

sportsbettingman

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:56 pm

I still have not seen that fight...but you can surely tell from the play by play here and in the entire history of baseball...that baseball players are possibly the worst fighters of all sports.

Freaking wimps.

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

Liquidhippo

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Liquidhippo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:47 am

Coco is a former boxer.

Shields got what was coming to him. Crisp was merely reciprocating. In fact, if I were Boston's GM, I'd give Crisp a bonus.

Edwards Kings

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:37 am

Originally posted by Liquidhippo:

Coco is a former boxer.

Shields got what was coming to him. Crisp was merely reciprocating. In fact, if I were Boston's GM, I'd give Crisp a bonus. Coco is a bum. He got hacked because Pedroia had his leg blogging the bag in the previous game on an SB attempt. He went in hard on the next play at 2B for him, took out the man covering. He had to expect the treatment the next day. That IS part of the game.

If Shields had really wanted to hurt him, he would have thrown it high and tight. Instead he went low and not a lot of mustard on it. Coco should have taken it like a man and taken his base, and gotten the benefit. Instead, he decided to charge the mound. Could have hurt himself and definitely hurt his team.

Cheap, stupid and low class.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by headhunters » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 am

i agree. next time the rays should have kazmir go at his head if he wants to see how it used to be done. he took a ball off his thigh for petes sake. the slide could have torn the guys knee up. gotta cheer for the rays now.

MichiganFantasyTeam

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by MichiganFantasyTeam » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:54 am

Coco is not a former boxer his dad is,

but it was a nice slip of the right cross by Sheilds. They both look like they know how to fight, better then most ball-players we see trying to throw punches. It's weird how most throw a punch and never punch with their fist...they always punch in a downward motion and try to connect with the pinky part of their hands. We all remember the days of Ventura going after Nolan Ryan, or watching Shaq try and punch people.

I think Gomes and Crawford need to be suspened for a very long time. It looked like they were out in the street, jumping someone and trying to take their wallet. What in the heck were they thinking? Why didn't the two of them just throw some gang signs in the air when they were done. That's what they looked like, two stupid thugs! Shields is on the ground and the are trying to throw upper-cuts and jabs to his face. What a disgrace for them two.

I would pay to see Shields and Coco in the UFC, it looked like it would have been a good one. It would be cool if it was like hockey...let them duke it out on the mound and respect the fighters. Why do the benches always have to clear? Guess it's how its always been and always will be, just makes me wonder.

I would also like to see Bartolo Colon vs Carlos Zambrono in the U.F.C.

Have fun guys!
Over The Top

Liquidhippo

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Liquidhippo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

quote:Originally posted by Liquidhippo:

Coco is a former boxer.

Shields got what was coming to him. Crisp was merely reciprocating. In fact, if I were Boston's GM, I'd give Crisp a bonus. Coco is a bum. He got hacked because Pedroia had his leg blogging the bag in the previous game on an SB attempt. He went in hard on the next play at 2B for him, took out the man covering. He had to expect the treatment the next day. That IS part of the game.

If Shields had really wanted to hurt him, he would have thrown it high and tight. Instead he went low and not a lot of mustard on it. Coco should have taken it like a man and taken his base, and gotten the benefit. Instead, he decided to charge the mound. Could have hurt himself and definitely hurt his team.

Cheap, stupid and low class.
[/QUOTE]Mound charging is every much a part of the game as pitchers intentionally trying to hit players. If Shields doesn't want guys charging the mound, then he shouldn't try to hit batters. I can't impugn Crisp for merely reciprocating Shields actions of trying to inflict pain/injury. If Crisp had done nothing, then I might wonder if he was in fact a coward.

Crisp not a boxer? Hmmm...what's with all the sources stating that he was? Lot's of misinformation out there I guess.

[ June 06, 2008, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Liquidhippo ]

sportsbettingman

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:09 am

As the son of a boxer...you'd better believe Daddy taught him something growing up.

I love the idea of allowing them to fight for...say...30 seconds, like the NHL...then break it up.

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

poopy tooth

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:16 am

Announcers were saying Crisp was a youth boxer - either way, must not have stopped taking lessons after "avoiding a punch" because when it came to landing one, he had Shields open after Shields missed, but he basically missed also.

Either way, I think it was Lance who said baseball players are not fighters - very true.

Gomes and Crawford??? Well, not the best looking actions, especially Crawford coming in late, but at least they were sticking up for their team.

The one thing that really sticks out though when considering which team this will help "push" over the top, as two teams battle for the AL EAST title is this - It doesn't matter because the Yankees are not and WILL NOT be one of them! :D

eddiejag

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by eddiejag » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:29 am

Actually the suspention doesnt hurt the pitchers, Shields instead of on the road againest the Angels he now gets a home game againest the Marlins who have never seen him.
EDWARD J GILLIS

sportsbettingman

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:07 am

Originally posted by eddiejag:

Actually the suspention doesnt hurt the pitchers, Shields instead of on the road againest the Angels he now gets a home game againest the Marlins who have never seen him. I always wondered why MLB doesn't hand down longer suspensions to STARTING pitchers...knowing they only play every 5 or so days.

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

JohnZ

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by JohnZ » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:10 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

quote:Originally posted by eddiejag:

Actually the suspention doesnt hurt the pitchers, Shields instead of on the road againest the Angels he now gets a home game againest the Marlins who have never seen him. I always wondered why MLB doesn't hand down longer suspensions to STARTING pitchers...knowing they only play every 5 or so days.

~Lance
[/QUOTE]probably because 5 days = 5 days with no pay..

sportsbettingman

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:47 am

Well then they can time the suspension to start on their next scheduled start, and everyone is happy.

Side note...

I'm very disappointed with the DirecTV MLB package on Saturday mornings and with the damn local blackouts...how stupid to think that will motivate me to go watch the games live.

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

Navel Lint

the brawl in Bean Town

Post by Navel Lint » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:08 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Side note...

I'm very disappointed with the DirecTV MLB package on Saturday mornings and with the damn local blackouts...how stupid to think that will motivate me to go watch the games live.

~Lance I'm not totally sure, but I think it has more to do with FOX TV have exclusive rights for MLB on Saturday until 6pm central.

[ June 07, 2008, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: rucrew2 ]
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson