Ideas For 2009 NFBC

bjoak

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by bjoak » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 am

Originally posted by KLN:

originally posted by gordon gekko. quote: Knowing a lot of quahogs and childs draft IS valuable info before your own draft begins. If someone can't see that, they must be blind.

For someone that doesnt have the ability to think for themselves i suppose this information might be helpful. they would still have to manage their team and without the ability to think i would not be concerned about their abilities to field a winning team.
[/QUOTE]Well, now, I stick to my comment that I wouldn't do it, but this is a ridiculous response. That is like saying that you can't think for yourself because you read websites or Shandler's book or even research on baseball. Smart people look at a variety of information and then make their own decisions. Some people may want to include drafts by other competitors as a part of that process.

And that is fine. They can be in my league. The problem is that the outcome of my draft and who is available when is changed during the course of the draft based on what happened in other cities and that just doesn't sit well with me.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

JohnZ

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by JohnZ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

I feel like Bruce Willis in that movie where he is dead but for some reason he can't figure out that no one can see him. ONE MORE TIME: I didn't say I'd do this. The answer to who cares is other people. Whether you agree with it or not, it will happen and it will affect the results of the draft you are in. If one city has skewed (fancy word for changed) results for any reason I think it changes the playing field. [/QB][/quote]

The results aren't anymore skewed than the normal distribution of players as is.

Crawford at NFBC ADP 10 went as low as 6, high of 14. That's a pretty big swing out of the shoot.

Worse is the guys that get drafted in rd 4 in a league and has an ADP of of Rd 10.3

#148 Placido Polanco (2B, Det) 153.47 49 185

Yes, those in the UNG could alter the results, but not as much as the whacky distribution of picks already out there.

JohnZ

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by JohnZ » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by UFS:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

Knowing a lot of quahogs and childs draft IS valuable info before your own draft begins. If someone can't see that, they must be blind. Only if you draft from a very similar spot.

One only has to check out auction draft boards the day before to see who they like, if they are into that sort of thing.

150 drafted in LV last year. How could this info possibly get disseminated to all so quickly?

And if it came from you, how would we know it to be true? ;)

I think I'll stand up right before the draft in LV next year, put my crackberry next to my ear, and shout out, "Jupy, GG each took Votto in Rd 3 in NY!! That would have more effect than the UGN. :D

Where's lance when you need him!! :D
[/QUOTE]If I could get my hands on John's Roto lab....
[/QUOTE]You are more than welcome to it!!, but only if I get your projections to merge into it :D

I can adjust for Votto on the spot!! :D

bjoak

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by bjoak » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 am

Yes, those in the UNG could alter the results, but not as much as the whacky distribution of picks already out there.I'll pretend I know what UNG is. Yes, lots of things affect results. But people wake up in NY on the big day and they draft the team they were going to draft. If people in LV don't do that I think it is a wholly unnecessary contaminate in the system.

KJ Duke

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Solution: Start all the drafts at the same time, beginning at 10am on the pacific. Shorten the in-between draft time from 3 hours to 2 hours. Does anyone in an city have a problem with only 2 hours between drafts?

Gekko, UFS, KLN, Plymouth, HH, Walla, anyone ????

Latham

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Latham » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Solution: Start all the drafts at the same time, beginning at 10am on the pacific. Shorten the in-between draft time from 3 hours to 2 hours. Does anyone in an city have a problem with only 2 hours between drafts?

Gekko, UFS, KLN, Plymouth, HH, Walla, anyone ???? Wow, I actually read all 9 pages of this thread and KJ's last post is all I needed to see. Seems pretty easy to me. I don't want draft to start at 9:00 AM in Vegas, just too early. Also agree to start all drafts at same time, although if someone is basing their draft on who other people drafted in another city, there just dead money anyway. Oh and good point John, where is Lance these days???

[ July 17, 2008, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Latham ]

bjoak

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by bjoak » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Gekko, UFS, KLN, Plymouth, HH, Walla, anyone ???? Amen. Good work KJ!

poopy tooth

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by poopy tooth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:13 pm

The injury concern should be something that everyone considers reason to start all drafts at the same time.

In addition, the announcement of Player A winning a position batter over Player B should be another concern.

Also, it's Spring Training, so players could be sent to minor league camp or released, etc. (Granted, these wouldn't be 1st rounders, but could still have an impact...escpecially if a closer is named from a "committee."

These last two probably seem silly to some, but if I knew someone knew of another closer, I think it provides some advantage...even a small advantage is an advantage

As for times, what about starting on the half hour and both sides compromise.

12:30/11:30/9:30 NFBC

6:30/5:30/3:30

I think you should keep the Auctions on Friday and the Ultamite on Sunday.

Did you have owners compete in both Ultamite and Super drafts? If so, you should try and keep these separated. I know the main events are the core, but I would also consider the feelings of someone plunking down $7,500 to play.

Greg - tough dilemma, but a good dilemma...shows how great the quality and service are - second to none.

I'd be in favor of a shorter break, maybe 1 hour and 30 minutes or two hours. If you do not have a room, like many in NY don't, standing around can be tough.

One final thought to get away from the main topic - how about a satellite draft or auction league that you draft your starting 23 only? No bench, no waiver wire, nothing, but a draft to see who the best draft or auction owner there is. I know it would take away some of the fun, as far as those things go, but with some of the board discussion revolving around drafting, I think it would be interesting to see who drafts the best team.

PS - Yes, Quahogs and Gekko are great owners in NY and yes, top 2, geat guys, etc, but don't fall asleep on others like King of Queens and Red Sox Nation and others.

Quahogs

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Quahogs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Gekko, UFS, KLN, Plymouth, HH, Walla, anyone ???? 2 hours is plenty. Some drafts can roll slower than others though. Some may only have an hour. Still, an hour should be fine.

Plymouth

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Plymouth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:26 pm

I have no issues if the start time is the same in all locations.

Thank you,

JohnZ

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by JohnZ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:21 am

Gekko, UFS, KLN, Plymouth, HH, Walla, anyone ???? I like 75-90 minutes better :D

Hard Heads

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Hard Heads » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:32 am

Gekko, UFS, KLN, Plymouth, HH, Walla, anyone ???? Not at all. 2 hours is plenty, as long as we bring a backup battery this time.
Hard Heads

Nevadaman

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Nevadaman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:09 am

As a LV drafter, NO WAY do I want to start before 10am. That's too damn early as it is! Why do we need all this time between events? I say, the shorter, the better. NO more than an hour. Everyone is prepared and all we need is a break for bathroom, perhaps a snack, etc. An hour is plenty. Standing around is far more irritating and tiring than just about anything I can think of! Just start the next draft. Is there really anyone out there who would rather stand around doing nothing than just starting the next draft???

Spyhunter

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Spyhunter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:20 am

The problem with shortening time between drafts is that there is lots of variability in finishing a draft. The NY 4 league this year went far more than an hour over, more like 2. BTW: I sat between Quahogs and Mike Caputo - how much does that suck ...

Liquidhippo

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Liquidhippo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:21 am

1,2,3 hours between drafts....makes no difference to me. If it's a long break I can go grab lunch somewhere, check the news, review/rehash my strategies some more. If it's only one hour, that's fine too, as long as there's some sort of food and water close by to tide us over. The only advantage I could see is if all drafts finished early enough so that I could watch some basketball games.

Heck, start it at 6am. I'll be ready. Noon, just as good.

As far as the potential earlier draft times on the East Coast and potential late breaking news that would effect West Coast drafts....that is a valid point that Gekko mentioned.

At the same time, one could always counter that if it's that important to you, then draft in Vegas. Everybody does have the option of choosing the city they draft in.

I'm just sayin'....

Greg Ambrosius

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:26 am

Originally posted by Liquidhippo:

1,2,3 hours between drafts....makes no difference to me. If it's a long break I can go grab lunch somewhere, check the news, review/rehash my strategies some more. If it's only one hour, that's fine too, as long as there's some sort of food and water close by to tide us over. The only advantage I could see is if all drafts finished early enough so that I could watch some basketball games.

Heck, start it at 6am. I'll be ready. Noon, just as good.

As far as the potential earlier draft times on the East Coast and potential late breaking news that would effect West Coast drafts....that is a valid point that Gekko mentioned.

At the same time, one could always counter that if it's that important to you, then draft in Vegas. Everybody does have the option of choosing the city they draft in.

I'm just sayin'.... Thanks for all the feedback from everyone and I'll need some time to think this one through. I'm not a big fan of back-to-back baseball drafts as I saw how tough it was for folks to do the Super Draft after the NFBC main. It's a workout, trust me. And getting a second main event set up in one hour isn't easy on our part, either.

I'm not sure starting at 1:00 in NY and doing another one at 7:00 is feasible or right. We'll see, but I know that's tough. One way or another, someone isn't going to like the setup, so something has to give.

Maybe the online championship and NFBC main event makes the most sense. Tom and I will discuss it and figure it out by October, but right now I have mixed feelings on the format being proposed. We'll see in time.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 am

Greg, if a handful don't like back-to-back drafts they won't sign up for both - doesn't seem like you'd lose many players because of that; but whether or not you and your crew can setup fast enough is another story. I think there'd be a lot of support to play two with a million dollar bonus on the line.

Sounds like hippo might do 6 back-to-back for a 24-hour drafting marathon. And I can do it if he can ... now that's something you could televise, "big brother's drafting marathon", all would be loopy in those later drafts. We'd just need a few hot girls running around and a jucuzzi.

God Our Team Sucks

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by God Our Team Sucks » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 am

Lots of time between drafts... It's nice to unwind, re-charge the PC batteries, review what you may have done wrong.

Liquidhippo

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by Liquidhippo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:37 am

... now that's something you could televise, "big brother's drafting marathon", all would be loopy in those later drafts. We'd just need a few hot girls running around and a jucuzzi. [/QB]This is a solid idea. Greg, can we get this added to the official signup page? After the live NBC drafts, the Jacuzzi Invitational. Only those who entered both the NFBC and the NBC are eligible. No cheat sheets allowed. Just Jacuzzi gear and beer.

:D

bjoak

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by bjoak » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 am

Greg, if a handful don't like back-to-back drafts they won't sign up for both - doesn't seem like you'd lose many players because of that; but whether or not you and your crew can setup fast enough is another story. I think there'd be a lot of support to play two with a million dollar bonus on the line.

Sounds like hippo might do 6 back-to-back for a 24-hour drafting marathon. And I can do it if he can ... now that's something you could televise, "big brother's drafting marathon", all would be loopy in those later drafts. We'd just need a few hot girls running around and a jucuzzi. KJ in the 6th draft:

"Kevin, you're on the clock."

Lifts head. "Huh, what? Tulowitzki!"

"You already selected him in round two."

"Oh. Oh shi*. Rickie Weeks!"

"Kevin, we're in round 30."

"Oh, okay. Alright, I've got it together now. Jon Lieber!"

"Um, he tore his rotator cuff, retired and got a job at a 7-11 last year."

"Write him in. He's a big comeback candidate."

KJ Duke

Ideas For 2009 NFBC

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:49 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Sounds like hippo might do 6 back-to-back for a 24-hour drafting marathon. And I can do it if he can ... now that's something you could televise, "big brother's drafting marathon", all would be loopy in those later drafts. We'd just need a few hot girls running around and a jucuzzi. KJ in the 6th draft:

"Kevin, you're on the clock."

Lifts head. "Huh, what? Tulowitzki!"

"You already selected him in round two."

"Oh. Oh shi*. Rickie Weeks!"

"Kevin, we're in round 30."

"Oh, okay. Alright, I've got it together now. Jon Lieber!"

"Um, he tore his rotator cuff, retired and got a job at a 7-11 last year."

"Write him in. He's a big comeback candidate."
[/QUOTE]Sounds good to me.

I'll give Tulo a few more weeks, he hasnt had many ABs yet this yr, but I passed on Rickie in the mid-season draft --- his fuse is running short with me. :mad: