Sheffield Cut!

Edwards Kings

Sheffield Cut!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:25 am

Tigers cut Sheff. Will eat the $14m!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

The Mighty Men

Sheffield Cut!

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 am

I'm sure, according to Sheffield, that it isn't his fault whatsoever.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

freddiezee

Sheffield Cut!

Post by freddiezee » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:31 am

I'm surprised that they wouldn't find a way to hold him for a week or two and let him hit the 500th homer. Even the Jays did that with Frank Thomas.

It will be interesting to see how Detroit structures their OF/DH spots now.

RobG

Sheffield Cut!

Post by RobG » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 am

Originally posted by freddiezee:

I'm surprised that they wouldn't find a way to hold him for a week or two and let him hit the 500th homer. Even the Jays did that with Frank Thomas.

It will be interesting to see how Detroit structures their OF/DH spots now. Picking up Josh Anderson really helps the team in terms of speed and flexibility. My guess is Larish now makes the team and Guillen and Ordonez take turns playing DH.
Rob Giese

Edwards Kings

Sheffield Cut!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 am

Originally posted by RobG:

quote:Originally posted by freddiezee:

It will be interesting to see how Detroit structures their OF/DH spots now. Picking up Josh Anderson really helps the team in terms of speed and flexibility. My guess is Larish now makes the team and Guillen and Ordonez take turns playing DH.
[/QUOTE]One site predicted Thames. Doesn't look good for Sheff. Someone may take a chance on the Tigers $14m dime, but I would rank him after Frank Thomas who is also sitting by the phone.

$14m to sit at home on his brains. :rolleyes: I will not feel sorry for him if he is stuck at 499.

Greg, if the NFBC cut me, would I still get the $100,000? :confused:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Sheffield Cut!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:52 am

Sheffield is like the gorgeous woman who knows she's gorgeous.

You love watching the swing, hate it when they open their mouths.

Unfortunately for both, the swing goes away, the mouth stays.

[ March 31, 2009, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

CC's Desperados

Sheffield Cut!

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:56 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

You love watching the swing,hate it when they open their mouths.

Unfortunately for both, the swing goes away, the mouth doesen't. I think you are the only fantasy player who goes through the drive through to draft in Vegas.

I enjoyed my 30 seconds with you.

Good Luck...this year

DOUGHBOYS

Sheffield Cut!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

You love watching the swing,hate it when they open their mouths.

Unfortunately for both, the swing goes away, the mouth doesen't. I think you are the only fantasy player who goes through the drive through to draft in Vegas.

I enjoyed my 30 seconds with you.

Good Luck...this year
[/QUOTE]Always good seeing you, Shawn. No matter the length of visit. Good luck to CC's and WW's Desperado's this year.
On my tombstone-

Quahogs

Sheffield Cut!

Post by Quahogs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:08 am

TALE OF 2 CHSHEFFS.

@$#%!# now I can't watch Sheff's bat waggle this year !!!

@$#%!# now I can watch Hell's Kitchen on FOX this year !!!

DOUGHBOYS

Sheffield Cut!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 am

Great stuff, Q
On my tombstone-

eddiejag

Sheffield Cut!

Post by eddiejag » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:26 am

Why would the Tigers cut him now,a couple week's earlier maybe he would have gotten a better chance to compete for a job.He must be a real ass to be let go lie this with499 homers.You talk about a being disrepected.The Sheff must be pissed off the way it went down and probably shocked.Oh yeah i paid 8 bucks for him in the auction league and drafted him in the main.Losing my 21st pick is no big deal but it hurts in a auction.Maybe im in shock.
EDWARD J GILLIS

JohnZ

Sheffield Cut!

Post by JohnZ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:30 am

1000 rookie cards into the toilet :mad:

The Mighty Men

Sheffield Cut!

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:

1000 rookie cards into the toilet :mad: lol

Some loser team will probably bring him in to give him his "Crash Davis" milestone home run, and bring in a few more fans in a down economy. Hey, that applies to Detroit - they should have kept him for 1 home run.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Quahogs

Sheffield Cut!

Post by Quahogs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:41 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:

Some loser team will probably bring him in to give him his "Crash Davis" milestone home run, and bring in a few more fans in a down economy. Hey, that applies to Detroit - they should have kept him for 1 home run.
[/QUOTE]Would that really be a draw? I have a touch of apathy as it is but do you think the prospect of watching Sheff nail his 500th hr will really get the family off the couch to drop $200 to see that ?

DOUGHBOYS

Sheffield Cut!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:51 am

Why keep him for the home run?

The last few years, Sheffield has only stated how HE has been dissed. From batting down in the order for the Yanks to not playing the field for the Tigers.

Who has HE respected?
On my tombstone-

RobG

Sheffield Cut!

Post by RobG » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:54 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

[/QUOTE]Would that really be a draw? I have a touch of apathy as it is but do you think the prospect of watching Sheff nail his 500th hr will really get the family off the couch to drop $200 to see that ?
[/QUOTE]I would take it a step further. Check out the mlive.com or detnews.com message boards regarding this subject today and you will see a lot of happy Tiger fans. What will bring people down to Comerica in a down economy is winning games. The economy was awful last year in Detroit but because people thought the team would contend for a WS title, people still bought tickets. If this teams fall flat early...it could get ugly again.

14 million for Sheff, 12 million for Dontrelle, 8 million for Bonderman, 7 million for Robertson...and one wonders why the Tigers don't have much flexiblity?
Rob Giese

sportsbettingman

Sheffield Cut!

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:06 am

Sheff's only buddy was Barry Bonds.

He's a total product of roids.

I just ticked DET up a notch in team chemistry, and am about to pull the trigger on that division win bet. Love the coach.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Quahogs

Sheffield Cut!

Post by Quahogs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Why keep him for the home run?

The last few years, Sheffield has only stated how HE has been dissed. From batting down in the order for the Yanks to not playing the field for the Tigers.

Who has HE respected? I love this move dough from all angles

Edwards Kings

Sheffield Cut!

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 am

Originally posted by RobG:

14 million for Sheff, 12 million for Dontrelle, 8 million for Bonderman, 7 million for Robertson...and one wonders why the Tigers don't have much flexiblity? Amazing. That is almost the total payroll for the Rays last year ($41m vs $44m). :rolleyes:
Charles Krauthammer

The Mighty Men

Sheffield Cut!

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:27 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

[/QUOTE]You are right. Probably not. I wouldn't go to see it.

sportsbettingman

Sheffield Cut!

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 am

Someone HAS to sign him, right??? Will he get his DET money PLUS any new contract he signs? WOW!

I have a local mixed auction this SAT (11 team...two teams dropped out "due to the economy"...maybe it's really because 11 of them are Giants fans...and a Dodger fan has won the league back to back)...is Sheff worth more than 2 or 3 bucks now???

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

NorCalAtlFan

Sheffield Cut!

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

I just ticked DET up a notch in team chemistry, and am about to pull the trigger on that division win bet. Love the coach. Easy Lance!! It's still a flawed team from all angles!! Very little team speed, bad pen, questionable rotation, etc etc.

Think rationally. ;)

CREATiVESPORTS-Marc

Sheffield Cut!

Post by CREATiVESPORTS-Marc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:01 am

I guess I am glad that I only wasted a 29th round draft choice on Sheffield in last night's online draft.

sportsbettingman

Sheffield Cut!

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 am

Originally posted by NorCalAtlFan:

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

I just ticked DET up a notch in team chemistry, and am about to pull the trigger on that division win bet. Love the coach. Easy Lance!! It's still a flawed team from all angles!! Very little team speed, bad pen, questionable rotation, etc etc.

Think rationally. ;)
[/QUOTE]True...the pen is what has me waiting this long to strike.

When and where is Rauch going??? :D

~Albert Einstein