My breakout candidate after 1 week

Bullgod

Post by Bullgod » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:21 am

Heres a guy I thought was always overhyped, lots of noise about him and average production at best. Edwin Encarnacion. Good power, a little speed and a below average average is what he has been. I ended up with him in a DC and have been watching him closely. 16 PA's and 6 BB's and only 2 K's! He only has 2 hits, but with a 3 to 1 BB/K ratio, IF he sticks to being patient and hits the good pitches he could have a monster year. Normally a 1 to 2 BB/K ratio guy. In that ballpark hitting 6th he could possibly go .285 90-30-100-8. That would definitely be more than any of his owners would expect. I'm not sold yet but if he keeps up this approach and starts banging the ball around it could be, it might be...
Pat Sorge

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Originally posted by Bullgod:

Heres a guy I thought was always overhyped, lots of noise about him and average production at best. Edwin Encarnacion. Good power, a little speed and a below average average is what he has been. I ended up with him in a DC and have been watching him closely. 16 PA's and 6 BB's and only 2 K's! He only has 2 hits, but with a 3 to 1 BB/K ratio, IF he sticks to being patient and hits the good pitches he could have a monster year. Normally a 1 to 2 BB/K ratio guy. In that ballpark hitting 6th he could possibly go .285 90-30-100-8. That would definitely be more than any of his owners would expect. I'm not sold yet but if he keeps up this approach and starts banging the ball around it could be, it might be... 30/100 isn't a complete stretch, but the 90 runs and .285 avg might be. If he scores 80 runs with the hr/rbi numbers you mentioned with a .275 avg, owners should be very happy.
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:12 pm

I have watched Edwin the last two games...and the impression I get is a lazy player with minimal heart.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Yankee15

Post by Yankee15 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:26 am

I kept thinking this might be his break out year too... but then you keep reading and get the feeling the Reds would love to get him out of the line-up.. I wouldn't be surprised if Hairston starts stealing AB's from him, once the Reds figure out that Dickerson needs to start everyday in the OF.. they love playing Hairston anywhere and everywhere...

Bullgod

Post by Bullgod » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:24 pm

In the words of the "immortal" Joe Buck...Slammalamma ding dong! Did anyone see that grand slam? If you walk 8 times in 22 PA's they have to pitch to you eventually. He's only 26 years old (allegedly) and he seems to have figured out if you don't swing at everything you will see some good pitches (meatballs)!!!
Pat Sorge

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:30 pm

In the words of the "immortal" Joe Buck...Slammalamma ding dong! Did anyone see that grand slam? If you walk 8 times in 22 PA's they have to pitch to you eventually. He's only 26 years old (allegedly) and he seems to have figured out if you don't swing at everything you will see some good pitches (meatballs)!!! The question is: Do you own him?

Bullgod

Post by Bullgod » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Yep, in my Draft Champions League. Not on my main team. But 1 out of 2 is good enough for me...

Who is everyone elses breakout player after week 1?!?
Pat Sorge

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Yep, in my Draft Champions League. Not on my main team. But 1 out of 2 is good enough for me...

Who is everyone elses breakout player after week 1?!? Jeff Francouer....

GYOZTES

Post by GYOZTES » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Andruw Jones

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:51 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by Bullgod:

In the words of the "immortal" Joe Buck...Slammalamma ding dong! Did anyone see that grand slam? If you walk 8 times in 22 PA's they have to pitch to you eventually. He's only 26 years old (allegedly) and he seems to have figured out if you don't swing at everything you will see some good pitches (meatballs)!!! The question is: Do you own him? [/QUOTE]I got him and stretched to get him. Hope he does not make me look (more) foolish. Last night was sweet and the plate patience is promising. Hope it lasts.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 am

Originally posted by GYOZTES:

Andruw Jones But would you bid $2 if you had the chance?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:08 am

The question is: Do you own him? Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

But would you bid $2 if you had the chance? Shawn, you should start a Fantasy Baseball Fortune Cookie business. :D

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:34 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

But would you bid $2 if you had the chance? Shawn, you should start a Fantasy Baseball Fortune Cookie business. :D
[/QUOTE]Is King of Queens the fantasy breakout player this year?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 am

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

[/QUOTE]Is King of Queens the fantasy breakout player this year?
[/QUOTE]Only if my team hits 10 HRs every night.

Jim Young

Post by Jim Young » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 am

edwin reminds me a lot of adrian beltre from a few years ago. he is highly hyped, and has put up a few decent seasons, and has the potential to break out big time. all edwin needs is to get some roids, and he can do what beltre did too!
"Act as if"

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:20 am

Nothing against Encarnacion as the breakout choice, but he was drafted in the middle part of all drafts. He may indeed take the next step to the elite, but he hardly qualifies as a "breakout" IMO - my choice is a guy from the reserve rounds and in some cases the waiver wire.

Felix Pie

I have him in reserve right now but I think 20/20 is a real possibility for this post-hype sleeper.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:22 am

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

Nothing against Encarnacion as the breakout choice, but he was drafted in the middle part of all drafts. He may indeed take the next step to the elite, but he hardly qualifies as a "breakout" IMO - my choice is a guy from the reserve rounds and in some cases the waiver wire.

Felix Pie

I have him in reserve right now but I think 20/20 is a real possibility for this post-hype sleeper. 20-20? :eek: :eek:

[ April 14, 2009, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Cooperstown

Post by Cooperstown » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:21 am

My 3 candidates are not off to great starts, but I'm sticking with them.

Conor Jackson

Kelly Johnson

Kevin Kouzmanoff

RobG

Post by RobG » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:02 am

The USA Today has some cool stats of last year's week 1 leaders in each of the categories and where they finished the year. With the except of say Carlos Quentin...there weren't too many break out guys on that list.

Not to mention, its funny to be reminded that Ben Broussard was the hot player to start the year last season and he pretty much finished the year with those stats.
Rob Giese

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:56 am

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

Felix Pie

I have him in reserve right now but I think 20/20 is a real possibility for this post-hype sleeper. I just picked him up 2 days ago in one of my leagues. The potential is there, and possibility for full time at-bats with only Luke Scott in the way. He'll be sitting on my bench for now.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

Bullgod

Post by Bullgod » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:43 pm

As a lifelong (loser) Cubs fan I find it offensive that this thread has turned into a Felix Pie lovefest :confused: :mad: :eek: .

For my own mental health I sure hope he sux like he did in Chicago :D :D !!! But give me a World series win and he can win the triple crown for the O's! :D :D
Pat Sorge

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:09 pm

knock on wood before and after...

S Choo

deeper:

J Gerut- disappointed he's sitting vs lhp but i have him as a 20hr, .290 guy this yr with 8-10 steals

F Pie- agree with r carey

J Rivera- slow start, 25 HR, .275 avg (yep that might be crazy)

Pitching:

K Davies

M Owings
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm

He is on my bench as well - so I am holding him like Crazy purely on spec. I also agree that he is in the perfect situation to succeed. Even as a part timer he should be able to squeeze 1 SB a week. The question will be can he secure regular AB's to get the other numbers.

Also- based on week 1 - I and others who drafted Paul maholm have to like what we saw. W's might be a problem in Pittsburgh - but his other numbers will be very nice for those that drafted him to the back end of their staffs.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 pm

I wonder if Nick Swisher will only get 3 starts per week... :rolleyes:

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:57 pm

just a question on pie- were all the catchers iowa was playing against related to johnny bench or was pie hurt for 4 years? i look at his sb% and it isn't much higher than mine.