Calling LaPorta!!!

Return of the Aces

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Return of the Aces » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 am

Any word if the Indians will recall LaPorta to the big club? He cannot do anything more right now in AAA and I really could use his bat.

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Originally posted by Return of the Aces:

Any word if the Indians will recall LaPorta to the big club? He cannot do anything more right now in AAA and I really could use his bat. I haven't heard anything yet other than they'll decide to bring up a hitter before Friday's game. I hope LaPorta will be brought up but I think they'll opt to leave LaPorta down for longer. Especially the way they talked after LaPorta was hot during spring. They want him to get some seasoning first before giving him a shot. Hafner looks to be coming back in 2 weeks. You want to get LaPorta full time at-bats. Love to see him take over for Ben Francisco but my gut tells me LaPorta stays in AAA for now.

I have picked LaPorta up last week in anticipation but I'm leaning toward him staying down in the minors for another month. We'll see. Keep your fingers crossed.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Fri May 01, 2009 5:09 am

Don't count on it - yet.

As an Indians fan, and LaPorta owner, I must sadly report that I doubt we see him before June 1.

The most likely scenario is that the Indians will give David Dellucci one more chance to contribute as Ben Francisco's platoon partner. The fact that LaPorta is a righty means he'll stay down a little longer and Francisco will lose at bats to Dellucci making his value slide even more.

The two players who figure to benefit the most are Ryan Garko and Kelly Shoppach who will likely both get at least one more start each a week while Pronk is out.

[ May 01, 2009, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Ryan Carey ]
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Fri May 01, 2009 4:56 pm

LaPorta has been officially brought up.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Fri May 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Real surprised as the noise out of Cleveland was it wasn't happening - will be interesting how Wedge uses him this week.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

Real surprised as the noise out of Cleveland was it wasn't happening - will be interesting how Wedge uses him this week. If LaPorta comes out hitting right away hopefully they give him the DH job until Hafner comes back. If he doesn't stop hitting they'll find at-bats for him in the outfield. One thing they won't do with a guy like this is platoon him for a long period of time, even if the manager has already alluded to this.

It's nice to see him get brought up, even nicer if he stays.

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Sat May 02, 2009 2:30 am

I hope you are right Crazy - but have you ever seen Wedge manage??? I am afraid it won't be that simple.
Mastersball

rkulaski

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by rkulaski » Sat May 02, 2009 3:40 am

The problem is when Hafner comes back, does LaPorta get sent back down even if he's hitting?

Francisco has actually had a decent week and is solid defensively.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:

The problem is when Hafner comes back, does LaPorta get sent back down even if he's hitting?

Francisco has actually had a decent week and is solid defensively. The manager is an idiot. Why would you platoon a guy like LaPorta? I don't get it. He's a young player who needs at-bats. Just like Guillen said about Gordon Beckham, "he is not a platoon player", so when he gets brought up he's going to get at-bats. Why are they handling LaPorta with kid gloves? Either they think he can be a solid contributor or not. If not, give him full time at-bats in the minors. Unfuckingbelievable.

DOUGHBOYS

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 03, 2009 2:27 am

First, the manager isn't an idiot. He didn't call up LaPorta. He has three solid defensive outfielders. He's not thinking like a fantasy player, he is managing to win games.

Second, he would platoon LaPorta because he has proven nothing at this level and wants to give him at bats vs lefties to give him a chance to succeed.

Third, do you really need the cuss word over such a small thing?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sun May 03, 2009 3:45 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

First, the manager isn't an idiot. He didn't call up LaPorta. He has three solid defensive outfielders. He's not thinking like a fantasy player, he is managing to win games.

Second, he would platoon LaPorta because he has proven nothing at this level and wants to give him at bats vs lefties to give him a chance to succeed.

Third, do you really need the cuss word over such a small thing? First, if I think the manager's an idiot that's my opinion, unless you are an Indians fan or his best friend, why should you care? You might happen to agree with that way of thinking and that's fine, but I don't.

2nd, LaPorta is a young player who needs at-bats, platooning him IMHO is not the best way of handling a top prospect. Many other managers would agree with me but it's certainly open for debate.

3rd. The answer is yes, I needed to use the cussword there. It demonstrated exactly what I was thinking.

Navel Lint

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Navel Lint » Sun May 03, 2009 3:56 am

Originally posted by Crazy Like a Fox:

[/qb]Why are they handling LaPorta with kid gloves? Either they think he can be a solid contributor or not. If not, give him full time at-bats in the minors. [/QB][/quote]

That sounds like kid gloves. "he has to play".

"Hey kid, Your here, hit when we tell you to hit, sit when we tell you to sit"

Welcome to the big league.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sun May 03, 2009 4:21 am

Originally posted by rucrew2:

quote:Originally posted by Crazy Like a Fox:

Why are they handling LaPorta with kid gloves? Either they think he can be a solid contributor or not. If not, give him full time at-bats in the minors. [/QB][/QUOTE]That sounds like kid gloves. "he has to play".

"Hey kid, Your here, hit when we tell you to hit, sit when we tell you to sit"

Welcome to the big league. [/QB][/quote]

:D

rkulaski

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by rkulaski » Sun May 03, 2009 5:36 am

I think doughboys and crazy each make a good point.

Some players are successful right away with mlb pitching - Braun, Longoria,

Some are not- Quentin, A LaRoche, J Clement.

I can definitely see the arguement that says give the rookie plenty of ABs so he can con't to develop his skills... but other players have come up in a sort-of platoon role and turned out great. Utley (platooned with Polanco?) and Kinsler come to mind off the top of my head.

Look at how the Angels are treating B Wood. Is it best to give him every day ABs right now? Or have him not get ABs for 5-6 days of the week and, if he's successful 1-2x per wk, gradually give him more chances? I think he needs to play more than 1-2x per wk. Same with LaPorta but I don't think these guys NEED to play EVERY day. I'd like to see it for fantasy reasons, but maybe playing Laporta 2-4x per wk against the right pitchers is the the best formula for him to succeed.

[ May 03, 2009, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: rkulaski ]
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Sun May 03, 2009 5:48 am

I think the best we can hope for LaPorta right now is 4 starts a week. The worst is he only starts against lefties. The fact remains that LaPorta IS a liabilty in the field - so I agree with Dan's take on defense.

Whether Wedge is an "idiot" is at least debatable at this point. While I think he's not bad it is obvious that this team is playing tight right now. The bullpen has been a huge dissapointment and the starters just aren't good enough to carry them.

So I think by calling up LaPorta, valubena and Barfield at the expense of Graffanino and others means they are trying to inject a little youthful enthusiasm to this team. Regardless- I think LaPorta might be up for good.
Mastersball

rockitsauce

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by rockitsauce » Sun May 03, 2009 5:59 am

"LaPorta, at the very least, will start against left-handers." Cleveland Plain Dealer

"the Indians wouldn't summon LaPorta simply to platoon against left handed pitching." - Buster Olney

I agree w/ Buster. Like other recent highly touted prospects (Bruce, Braun) let'em play...every day.
Always be closing.

Glenneration X

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Glenneration X » Sun May 03, 2009 6:35 am

You would have thought the same about Brandon Wood two weeks ago....

DOUGHBOYS

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun May 03, 2009 8:52 am

0 for 4, with two k's, one with the bases loaded and one out, all vs. righthanders.

Maybe the manager is an idiot. :D
On my tombstone-

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Mon May 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Laporta just jacked one - welcome to the bigs kid - glad I started you this week.
Mastersball

Crazy Like a Fox

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Mon May 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

Laporta just jacked one - welcome to the bigs kid - glad I started you this week. I was going to throw him out there this week in for struggling Randy Winn but got cute and stuck in Podsednik (just picked up). Need steals but missing the power too. Podsednik's first at-bat, single - caught stealing.

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Yeah - I benched Kouzmanoff and sent Scutaro to 3B for this week. Almost benched Hardy, but you know as soon as you bench the guy he's going to have one of those 3-4 hr weeks.
Mastersball

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Tue May 05, 2009 6:17 am

I will again state that I was surprised that the Indians called up LaPorta this week. There were many reasons for this:

1) They are owned by the Dolan family, who whose cable stock has been taking a beating. They have been losing money with this team. Add in the shrinking attendance at Tribe games and I thought there was very little chance that the Indians would speed up LaPorta's arbitration clock and make him a "Super 2" player.

2) He is a Scott Boras client - Boras is licking his lips at this very moment and will be sure to try and top Ryan Howard's recent contract once LaPorta is arbitration eligible.

3) Wedge was already trying to find at-bats for Garko and Shoppach with Dellucci added to the mix.

So the callup of LaPorta leads me to believe that the Indians are expecting the worst when it comes to Travis Hafner. If/when Hafner comes back will be the true test. Hafner is untradeable with his contract - but I think Shapiro could move DeRosa or Peralta easily. If Barfield can show that he is ready to be a major leaguer again - you will see the Tribe shift Cabrera to short and deal Derosa or Peralta. I think Francisco is trade bait as well. Cleveland really likes CF prospect Michael Brantley - who is a true 4th OF - a defensive speedster who can play all 3 OF positions.

All of the reasons why I thought LaPorta wouldn't get the call are exactly the reasons why I believe he is up for good now. You don't take the financial hit that the mid-market Indians are if you are not going to fully commit to the guy - so I now agree with those that said it previously - you are right.

I still think he will sit against elite RHP - but the fact that Wedge tossed him out there against Justin Verlander in his first start shows that this might not be true all the time. More than likely Francisco becomes the 4th OF and the RH platoon partner with Choo in RF.

The Indians bullpen is a mess and Shapiro will make a deal to address it sooner than later IMO.
Mastersball

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 am

Indians bullpen blows it again - leading 6-3 going into the bottom of the 7th and 4 different relievers (R Perez, Chulk, Lewis and Sipp) cough up 7 runs in one inning. Something is definitely wrong with Rafael Perez.

An even competent bullpen has the Tribe's 10-15 record flip-flopped and neck and neck with the Royals in the Central. Shapiro better get this fixed quick!

On a side note - Brett Cecil looked good today.
Mastersball

DOUGHBOYS

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am

While Zack could be a good name for pitchers, Perez is not.
On my tombstone-

Ryan C

Calling LaPorta!!!

Post by Ryan C » Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 am

Time for the Indians to call up Zach Jackson maybe!!
Mastersball