Quick Survey: Handling Weekly Moves

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 05, 2009 3:34 am

I will try an unscientific poll of our regular Message Board members to see what option they'd like to see for lineup moves in the NFBC in 2010. If you had one choice, what would you like to see instituted in the NFBC in 2010:
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 am

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like!

Scott Boras

Post by Scott Boras » Tue May 05, 2009 4:06 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like! Agreed, Jules. Although I voted, I expressed my feelings on the "Jules Rule" to the man. The man feels too many folks would find it too similar to daily moves. We agree to disagree. I received a response in .00648 seconds, so I can live with the disagreement having customer service that spectacular :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 05, 2009 4:09 am

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like! Allowing folks to move new players into their starting lineup the day a player lands on the DL is one step towards daily moves. It would also be a nightmare for us as folks would be contacting us every day saying they read it someone online that a player was on the DL but he can't switch them out right now, blaming STATS, of course. There are some positives to this idea, but having folks check every day to possibly make roster moves isn't the path I want to take for the main event. I think it could reduce the participation level in the NFBC.

If I misunderstood the "Jules Rule" let me know, but that is the reason I didn't put that option on the board.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 am

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like! Jules, I pushed for this 2 years ago and it was shot down for the reasons Greg states below and because there were many complaints from people that didnt want to check their lineups everyday for injuries --- which is why I have pushed for an alternative that takes STATS timeliness completely out of the picture, and eliminates the I can't check everyday argument. Of course, in looking for a solution that has a chance to actually work, I guess I'm just being selfish, right Lance? :rolleyes:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by RedRyder:

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like! Jules, I pushed for this 2 years ago and it was shot down for the reasons Greg states below and because there were many complaints from people that didnt want to check their lineups everyday for injuries --- which is why I have pushed for an alternative that takes STATS timeliness completely out of the picture, and eliminates the I can't check everyday argument. Of course, in looking for a solution that has a chance to actually work, I guess I'm just being selfish, right Lance? :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]KJ, when you're out on the front line you have to have thick skin. I take more of a beating than you do and keep on going. There's nothing wrong with the suggestions and we'll see what most folks think before taking the next step.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue May 05, 2009 4:44 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Allowing folks to move new players into their starting lineup the day a player lands on the DL is one step towards daily moves. It would also be a nightmare for us as folks would be contacting us every day saying they read it someone online that a player was on the DL but he can't switch them out right now, blaming STATS, of course.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 4:49 am

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like! Jules, I pushed for this 2 years ago and it was shot down for the reasons Greg states below and because there were many complaints from people that didnt want to check their lineups everyday for injuries --- which is why I have pushed for an alternative that takes STATS timeliness completely out of the picture, and eliminates the I can't check everyday argument. Of course, in looking for a solution that has a chance to actually work, I guess I'm just being selfish, right Lance? :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]KJ, when you're out on the front line you have to have thick skin. I take more of a beating than you do and keep on going. There's nothing wrong with the suggestions and we'll see what most folks think before taking the next step.
[/QUOTE]Yeah I know Greg, I've been bashed for the same reasons for supporting 3RR, BBDS, the DL rule, the stock market, the economy, the Fed, etc etc.

I just don't expect it from Lance who knows me. I think all of those Carl Denninger videos he's watched has turned his entire thought process into one of seeing only seedy, personal motivations behind every individual action. By the way, how are Carl's predictions panning out Lance? Has your 401k been confiscated by the government, and is the national guard patrolling your neighborhood yet? How about the Dow, has it hit 1500 yet? How are the Duke predictions looking, self-serving or accurate? ;)

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 4:54 am

The way the stock market has been jumping...I'd expect you to have a great mood! :D

I'm a changed man, KJ. I see through everything now...like Neo. :eek: :D ;)

Greg...watch out for any new registrations to the MB...wouldn't want another Vote-Gate! ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

The way the stock market has been jumping...I'd expect you to have a great mood! :D

I'm a changed man, KJ. I see through everything now...like Neo. :eek: :D ;)

Greg...watch out for any new registrations to the MB...wouldn't want another Vote-Gate! ;) I placed one vote Lance, that's it for me. Let the chips fall. Just because I spent 10 yrs in Chicago doesn't mean I share Mayor Daley's voting philosophy.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 5:16 am

I don't care how badly STATS would handle the "Jules Rule"...it would still be an improvement on the current DL rule, and be the best option if your goal was truly to help out teams hit by major injury. (Disabled List)

When did a non-DL stint injury become such a big deal? This year?

Why is this "help out teams hit by injury" needed, anyway?

Isn't avoiding injury prone players SKILL? Injuries to some players = bad luck, but injuries to others is bad skill??? Not sure I agree.

[ May 05, 2009, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]

~Albert Einstein

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Tue May 05, 2009 5:17 am

Will this be sent out with the Newsletter e-mail or simply relegated to the small minority who post on the MB's??

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 am

Wish there was another option...what did RT dub it, the "Jules Rule"...I like! Allowing folks to move new players into their starting lineup the day a player lands on the DL is one step towards daily moves. It would also be a nightmare for us as folks would be contacting us every day saying they read it someone online that a player was on the DL but he can't switch them out right now, blaming STATS, of course. There are some positives to this idea, but having folks check every day to possibly make roster moves isn't the path I want to take for the main event. I think it could reduce the participation level in the NFBC.

If I misunderstood the "Jules Rule" let me know, but that is the reason I didn't put that option on the board.
[/QUOTE]Thanks for the reply Greg, I understand the NFBC's point of view on it now.

Is there not anything we can do to "help" owners out in a situation like say Josh Hamilton's this week? This is where I have a major problem with the DL rule now. If you are willing to do 2 DL moves a week, maybe Thursday & Saturday...at least with a Saturday DL move too, we could get two days worth of stats from a healthy player.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue May 05, 2009 5:34 am

Good point Patrick - hopefully when the choices are more clearly defined from this, an email can be sent to all participants for more clarification.

As far as the Jules Rule - it could be easily implemented - assuming STATS updates daily, when a player is noted with a DL designation, a team can make a roster change in their lineup (obviously only with a position eligible player from their reserves) that WILL BE EFFECTIVE THE FOLLOWING DAY.

So, if Oliver Perez was placed on the DL today and it showed, I could replace him with Leo Nunez and it would be effective tomorrow...if he didn't show as DLed until tomorrow (Wednesday), I would make the change tomorrow and it would be effective Thursday.

Most people check their standings daily....IF not they certainly read or see when a player in their starting lineup has been DLed and have a whole day to make a change if they wish to.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue May 05, 2009 5:39 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

As far as the Jules Rule - it could be easily implemented - assuming STATS updates daily, when a player is noted with a DL designation, a team can make a roster change in their lineup (obviously only with a position eligible player from their reserves) that WILL BE EFFECTIVE THE FOLLOWING DAY.

So, if Oliver Perez was placed on the DL today and it showed, I could replace him with Leo Nunez and it would be effective tomorrow...if he didn't show as DLed until tomorrow (Wednesday), I would make the change tomorrow and it would be effective Thursday.

what about Greg's point which is 100% valid...

Allowing folks to move new players into their starting lineup the day a player lands on the DL is one step towards daily moves. It would also be a nightmare for us as folks would be contacting us every day saying they read it someone online that a player was on the DL but he can't switch them out right now, blaming STATS, of course.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 am

My point Mark was NOT the day they are DLed - it would be effective the next day, so it is not a daily move, it is a DL move AFTER the player has landed on the DL.

It is a very fair way to deal with injuries and used by many leagues now.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue May 05, 2009 5:59 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

My point Mark was NOT the day they are DLed - it would be effective the next day, so it is not a daily move, it is a DL move AFTER the player has landed on the DL.

It is a very fair way to deal with injuries and used by many leagues now. Capt. I think you are missing Greg's point...

"It would also be a nightmare for us as folks would be contacting us every day saying they read it someone online that a player was on the DL but he can't switch them out right now, blaming STATS, of course."

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 6:19 am

Here's the problem that I see. There is no way to have a DL rule that is perfect that will make everybody happy. The reason being, it brings luck into the equation whether your player even gets put on the DL right away or is day to day, or gets hurt at the start of the week as opposed to the end.

The other part of the DL rule that's in place that I don't understand is that it's only on Friday. Why Friday? Why not Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday? This should be a skillful format, not a format that brings more luck into play. Why designate a specified day every week?

Either make it one move per week regardless of situation, reward teams who have a quality bench that won't lose out on a whole week's worth of stats (which could be the difference between winning a $100,000 or not), all while giving the owner more control over his team.

Recap:

I don't believe it's best to have a Friday designation for the DL. If you have a DL slot, make it for any day in the week. It blows my mind why there has to be a specified day of the week while your player on the DL waiting for this arbitrary day to switch him out.

Ultimately better to have once per week moves regardless of situation. I know this probably will never happen in the NFBC but it's my personal feeling of what will fix the DL situation and add more strategy into this game as opposed to the strict, "set your lineup on Monday and cross your fingers" strategy or lack thereof.

Just my opinion. I'll be involved in an NFBC contest every year no matter what but I hate when rules favor the lucky. We need rules that favor the skillful.

[ May 05, 2009, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Crazy Like a Fox ]
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 am

Interesting vote so far, that more people want to be able to make one or more non-DL Friday moves (18) than those who prefer the status quo (16).

Since there is a known, strong natural bias to the status quo, I think this speaks volumes to the fact that an even greater majority would prefer some kind of Friday move once it is implemented.

I'm also happy to see that only a very small minority want to go back to the dark ages before any kind of DL rule. ;) Without a doubt this supports Greg's initial idea of putting a DL rule in place. If we can tweak it correctly for next season, I think there will be a lot of satisfied players at this time next year.

[ May 05, 2009, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 6:35 am

1) No Friday Moves; Just set your lineup on Monday and be done with it. (This doesn't help any teams hit by major injury)

2) Keep the current Friday DL rule (This only helps teams hit by major injury and DL'd by time cutoff)

3) Allow one move per week for any player on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury)

4) Allow twice weekly moves for all players on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury)

Bad form disclosing the results here.

[ May 05, 2009, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]

~Albert Einstein

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 6:37 am

1) No Friday Moves; Just set your lineup on Monday and be done with it. (This doesn't help any teams hit by major injury)

2) Keep the current Friday DL rule (This only helps teams hit by major injury and DL'd by time cutoff)

3) Allow one move per week for any player on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury)

4) Allow twice weekly moves for all players on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury) 1) correct

2) correct

3) wrong

4) wrong

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 am

4) Allow twice weekly moves for all players on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury) Day-to-day injuries down?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 6:39 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

4) Allow twice weekly moves for all players on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury) 1) correct

2) correct

3) wrong

4) wrong
[/QUOTE]Please explain.

3 and 4 are independent of injury.

~Albert Einstein

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 am

Explanation of option #3.

Each week team owners have the option of replacing one player in their lineup prior to Friday's games for the Friday-Sunday scoring period. The intent of this rule is to allow owners to replace injured players, whether on the DL or not, with a productive player off their bench. However, it also may be used for any other reason, thus affording the owner some additional roster flexibility. Unused roster moves DO NOT accumulate for use in future weeks.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 am

Both #3 and #4 can be used by fully healthy teams. There are no restrictions to needing to be "day to day" and both allow/encourage the streaming of pitching...changing the strategy of the NFBC.

[ May 05, 2009, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]

~Albert Einstein