Quick Survey: Handling Weekly Moves

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 am

This should be one of the options:

(1) Pitchers: Friday DL-Rule applies

(2) Hitters: unlimited active/reserve for Friday

I believe that streaming pitchers is the biggest obstacle to twice per week moves. Eliminate that, and it's a much easier sell.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

1) No Friday Moves; Just set your lineup on Monday and be done with it. (This doesn't help any teams hit by major injury)

2) Keep the current Friday DL rule (This only helps teams hit by major injury and DL'd by time cutoff)

3) Allow one move per week for any player on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury)

4) Allow twice weekly moves for all players on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury) 1) correct

2) correct

3) wrong

4) wrong
[/QUOTE]Please explain.

3 and 4 are independent of injury.
[/QUOTE]There are more non-DL injuries than DL injuries. If I have a player that is hurt but not DL'd, and is unlikely to play for the weekend, I will bench him under either option #3 or #4. Under option #1 or #2, I get no relief from his injury.

What if real baseball managers could only make lineup replacements weekly?

Overheard at Lou Pinella's press conference, "Well, since our catcher is hurt we'll just have to take an automatic out every time his spot in the lineup is due up for the weekend. Yeah, it will be tough to win any games that way, but I'm really looking forward to Monday when I can insert our backup catcher into the lineup. Boy, I sure hope HE doesn't get hurt next week though, because then we'll really be hurting to win ballgames for half the month. Questions?"

Jay Moriariti, Chicago Sun Times, "Hey Lou, why don't you just sign players that don't get hurt, then you wouldn't have to worry about losing games because of automatic outs?" Lou, "Great question Jay, you're as freakin' insightful as you've ever been".

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue May 05, 2009 6:54 am

After reading everything, I haven't been swayed.

As is seems to be the best and most "fair."

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 6:56 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

I believe that streaming pitchers is the biggest obstacle to twice per week moves. Eliminate that, and it's a much easier sell. ...and this brings us back to DOUGHBOYS "TWICE" with the ammended use of the current DL rule for SP.

I have LESS problem with this, but still feel it is not needed and hurts those with DL injuries vs. those with a larger healthy bench. (not a big hurt) ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 am

Both #3 and #4 can be used by fully healthy teams. There are no restrictions to needing to be "day to day" and both allow/encourage the streaming of pitching...changing the strategy of the NFBC. #4 allows streaming of pitchers.

#3 would allow it to a minimal, almost inconsequential extent, because there are only 26 moves.

In my estimation, at least half of those moves would be for injured players, so now we're down to a maximum of 13 extra pitcher starts per season. During some of those weeks, starting pitchers on the bench won't pitch for that weekend, and in other weeks they'll just have bad matchups; let's say that's the case half the time. So now what we have would be an additional 6-7 starts per season for teams' 6th and 7th starters. Add onto that a few weeks where the better swap is for a hitter who maybe has a great matchup, like a weekend series at Coors, and we're down to maybe an extra 4-5 starts per season ... you really think that is a game changer Lance?

An extra 5 starts from a low-level SP or RP is probably worth 15-20 K's, 1 win, 1 save and slightly degraded ratios for all teams across the board.

[ May 05, 2009, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 05, 2009 7:01 am

I believe that streaming pitchers is the biggest obstacle to twice per week moves. Eliminate that, and it's a much easier sell. Surprisingly :D , I would vote for this over the other four options.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 7:07 am

1) No Friday Moves; Just set your lineup on Monday and be done with it. (This doesn't help any teams hit by major injury)

2) Keep the current Friday DL rule (This only helps teams hit by major injury and DL'd by time cutoff)

3) Allow one move per week for any player on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury)

4) Allow twice weekly moves for all players on Friday (This has nothing to do with injury)

Bad form disclosing the results here. Oooooh. I thought the same thing about disclosing the results. I just clicked "vote" before looking at the results (very enticing to look at it first though) but didn't want anything to sway my vote.

I vote for a revote? Is that one of the options? ;)

Disclose results after.

I also would have liked to see more options. I hate deciding between the lesser of two evils.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue May 05, 2009 7:08 am

Pitchers are rarely day-to-day with their injuries. They may get a start pushed back, but teams seem to err on the side of caution.

Hitters, on the other hand, are almost ALWAYS day-to-day before hitting the DL. Broken bones and torn ligaments/muscles aside, of course.

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

I believe that streaming pitchers is the biggest obstacle to twice per week moves. Eliminate that, and it's a much easier sell. Surprisingly :D , I would vote for this over the other four options.
[/QUOTE]Me too.....surprisingly.

Doughboys, I didn't think it would happen this soon..........but we AGREE.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am

Pitchers are rarely day-to-day with their injuries. They may get a start pushed back, but teams seem to err on the side of caution.

Hitters, on the other hand, are almost ALWAYS day-to-day before hitting the DL. Broken bones and torn ligaments/muscles aside, of course. It's not a bad option, and better than allowing all players to be swapped out on Friday which would result in streaming pitchers.

And this would solve the non-DL injury, which is the major shortcoming in the current DL rule. The downside is more time spent evaluating hitters on Friday, though again not nearly as bad as the 2x move for all players. I'd still have to cut my team count, but I could probably drop down from 12 leagues to 9, rather than 6 under the full 2x lineup period.

On second thought, I also think this would kill the DC leagues for me. Evaluating a 22-man bench twice a week. Ehhhh, no thanks.

[ May 05, 2009, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 am

Originally posted by Crazy Like a Fox:

quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

[/QUOTE]Me too.....surprisingly.

Doughboys, I didn't think it would happen this soon..........but we AGREE.
[/QUOTE]Sonuvabitch!!! I'd call the Rocky Mountain News but they've gone out of business!

I knew that eventually we would agree on something. By the way,I loved watching Ryno....but that doesen't count, almost everyone did.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 05, 2009 7:28 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Hitters, on the other hand, are almost ALWAYS day-to-day before hitting the DL. Broken bones and torn ligaments/muscles aside, of course. It's not a bad option, and better than allowing all players to be swapped out on Friday which would result in streaming pitchers.

And this would solve the non-DL injury, which is the major shortcoming in the current DL rule. The downside is more time spent evaluating hitters on Friday, though again not nearly as bad as the 2x move for all players. I'd still have to cut my team count, but I could probably drop down from 12 leagues to 9, rather than 6 under the full 2x lineup period.

On second thought, I also think this would kill the DC leagues for me. Evaluating a 22-man bench twice a week. Ehhhh, no thanks.
[/QUOTE]Interesting thought about the DC's. I think I would prefer the status quo for them. In my mind, they're a little seperated from the other leagues anyway.
On my tombstone-

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Tue May 05, 2009 7:33 am

I believe that streaming pitchers is the biggest obstacle to twice per week moves. Eliminate that, and it's a much easier sell. I voted no Friday moves because everything else has issues. But this would have been my vote if it were an option.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 8:15 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

I voted no Friday moves because everything else has issues. The no vote has issues too, that's why Greg evolved beyond it in the first place.

[ May 05, 2009, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Quack & Willy

Post by Quack & Willy » Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 am

I believe that streaming pitchers is the biggest obstacle to twice per week moves. Eliminate that, and it's a much easier sell. I voted no Friday moves because everything else has issues. But this would have been my vote if it were an option.
[/QUOTE]Agreed...it goes back to the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid.

There are reasons why players fall in drafts, one of which is durability. Start adding in either twice a week moves, either for injury or other reasons, and part of this is eliminated.

I enjoy the part of the draft strategy where you must decide how risky you want to make your roster with the Milton Bradley and JD Drew's of the world.

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Tue May 05, 2009 8:26 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

[/QUOTE]Interesting thought about the DC's. I think I would prefer the status quo for them. In my mind, they're a little seperated from the other leagues anyway.
[/QUOTE]I have stated my opinion in the other thread - but this is why I believe that any change should be limited to the NFBC's live weekend events. Leave everything else alone.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 am

[/QUOTE]As soon as you say, "I'd still have to cut my team count", this is the look on Greg's face :eek:

The tough part about Greg's job is, he has to decide, in my effort to improve the league rules will I lessen or gain membership and what's best long term for this franchise?

I wouldn't want to be in Greg's shoes.........ok, yes I would.

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 am

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

I voted no Friday moves because everything else has issues. The no vote has issues too, that's why Greg evolved beyond it in the first place. [/QUOTE]Yeah, it was sort of like voting for Ross Perot.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 am

Well, if the goal is to truly 'manage' a team then being able to set the lineup on Monday and Friday seems very adequate and takes care of any and all DL or not really DL or kinda really but not sure DL effect.

If there truly are owners out there who are cool with setting lineups on Monday for the week but would balk and walk away from the game if they also had to set their lineups on Friday I'd be shocked.

Are there truly people out there who play this game and can't re-set their lineup on Friday? Really? Who are you? (and, btw, thanks for your money....)
Just Some Guy

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

Well, if the goal is to truly 'manage' a team then being able to set the lineup on Monday and Friday seems very adequate and takes care of any and all DL or not really DL or kinda really but not sure DL effect.

If there truly are owners out there who are cool with setting lineups on Monday for the week but would balk and walk away from the game if they also had to set their lineups on Friday I'd be shocked.

Are there truly people out there who play this game and can't re-set their lineup on Friday? Really? Who are you? (and, btw, thanks for your money....) :D :D

Great point.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 am

Originally posted by Crazy Like a Fox:

quote:Originally posted by Dyv:

Are there truly people out there who play this game and can't re-set their lineup on Friday? Really? Who are you? (and, btw, thanks for your money....) :D :D

Great point.
[/QUOTE]:D :D And agreed.

That is twice in one day.

Note to self: Buy lotto ticket
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

Are there truly people out there who play this game and can't re-set their lineup on Friday? Really? Who are you? (and, btw, thanks for your money....) Dyv, I don't think you lose net # of players for the main event, but of course you'll lose #'s in the satellites and the auctions.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 am

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

I voted no Friday moves because everything else has issues. The no vote has issues too, that's why Greg evolved beyond it in the first place. [/QUOTE]Yeah, it was sort of like voting for Ross Perot.
[/QUOTE]The underdogs of the world thank you for your "moral support" :D

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue May 05, 2009 9:05 am

Are there truly people out there who play this game and can't re-set their lineup on Friday? Really? Who are you? (and, btw, thanks for your money....) Dyv, I don't think you lose net # of players for the main event, but of course you'll lose #'s in the satellites and the auctions.
[/QUOTE]KJ, WHO? Can you name any single person who is unable to do this? I mean we keep defending this mythical person who would rather NOT have an option to change out their lineups. Who IS this person? Where's Waldo? There are ESPN, Yahoo, CBS, etc. leagues all over the place with DAILY Transactions with millions of players. I'd hate like hell to go to that, but twice a week adds a touch of management skill that I think helps the game.

And before I get worried about this unicorn-fantasy baseball player who can't change their lineup on Friday or in advance of Friday I'd sure like to know they exist.
Just Some Guy

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 am

[/QUOTE]Of course Greg wants his current customers to join as many leagues as possible, but doesn't Greg have to think in terms of what's best longterm, for his current customers and future customer's alike?

C'mon Doughboys, I'm fetchin' for 3 agreements in one hour?

If so, I'm buying a lottery ticket right now and splitting the winnings. :D