Live Chat With Ryan Houston On Tuesday, Feb. 16th At 4:00 PM ET

Geoffrey Stein

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Ryan,

What do you think TMZ would pay for a picture of Greg holding a 24-ounce bottle of Corona that he's about to purchase?
Geoffrey Stein - (No Longer)Senior Editor, Fanball.com (R.I.P.)
[email protected]
AIM: gstein729

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:39 pm

E, i love just E damn i could have gone with that title but just didnt think of it.Damn their is even the Big E REMEMBER him. Well now the letter E is gone.Be proud of the letter E and take good care of it.

E HOW BOUT SOME SLEEPERS at pitching say after round 17 or 18 that might have a little value.

Last year i was able to draft De La Rosa and Happ after the 20th round.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Settle the office pool what does the E stand for? I have Edward. The E stands for Eric.

I think there is a IV in there somewhere also, but I rarely use that.

Have always used Ryan E. Houston -- figuring I have very common names so the E. breaks it up.

I'm still amused at how big of a deal that E became and how Lindy asked me to sign his ball: Easy E.

I love how Greg is fueling the fire -- I think he's used "Easy E" nine times in this thread.

Regardless -- it stand for Eric. Sorry if you lost the office pool.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Settle the office pool what does the E stand for? I have Edward. I'll take Excellent! [/QUOTE]Thanks CC!

Hard Heads

Post by Hard Heads » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Originally posted by Plymouth:

Ryan, what is with all the fees, I HATE fees. It seems to me that your business costs should be covered by your cut, so why add additional fees? I can understand additional fees for optional services/products on a by choice basis but forcing fees on players stinks. Tell me why (speaking for myself) I should pay your fees so that you can pay the high rent at some of the locations you have chosen when all I want is a place to draft with no bells and whistles? I appreciate you offering an on-line/phone option for the main event although there is no phone component this year. Having said that, how do you justify charging a fee to these players? Why is a main event on-line draft cost you more to put on than it does to do a satellite draft with no fees? Nothing personal Ryan, but I am having trouble getting over the feeling I am dealing with someone that is going to fee me to death like banks and airlines are already doing. This may be the only good set of questions out there. You should be more profitable now that you don't have to outsource to Stats and MDC. Can't you take those new increased profits and use that to run your fancy events? In theory you should be making more money on your end which in turn should lead to better live events without extra customer fees or we should be seeing better payouts. If you aren't being more profitable by using your own software well then that just doesn't make much sense. So I guess I can't wait to hear the answers to these questions by Plymouth and my inquiry into whether you do or don't save a ton of money by using your own software and in the end will we see any benefit from that with better payouts and less fees? As a customer I also hate fees added on to cover things you have no choice on. Now that there is an events fee to draft online it's not as though we are even given a choice in the matter. I stopped playing the main event due to what me and my co-manger feel are very poor payouts and now with added events fees we for sure won't play the main event. Anyway, my rambling is becoming harder to understand and harder for me to even get to my point. I am happy you guys are growing your event as that is the goal of every business owner. Just hope that at some point you reward your customers for being loyal and helping you grow. The new additions this year did nothing to help the customer in my opinion.

[ February 15, 2010, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Hard Heads ]
Hard Heads

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Originally posted by Sack:

Ryan - understand that Greg asked for this...SO:

I consider the Double Play Option, both Live and Online to be an EXCELLENT game for the upcoming season and beyond. You've set ambitious goals in regard to signups, especially with the Online version. While the LIVE numbers look good, are you at all concerned that the ONLINE portion has yet to take off? Do you see the possibility going foward in re-introducing a 3 team package with some INCENTIVE for the players such as $100 off? (Sorry, the signed baseball will never push me towards multiple teams)

Thanks, looking forward to trips to AC & Vegas to participate. Sack --

I agree with you. I think the Double Play is a hidden gem in our offerings. It's the ONLY thing causing us some frustration right now. Surely we could have just run an online championship, but we felt we had great locations across the country and we really wanted to give users the ability to play in multiple league formats.

One thing to note.

We have yet to really push any of these products to the Fanball user base. That is going to begin, quite aggressively, this week.

We are sending our regional emails to our customers.

We are sending out a ton of marketing stuff to our customers in the next few weeks.

We are planning on showcasing these leagues more on the Draft & Play sign up page at Fanball:

http://www.fanball.com/draftandplay/?ArenaID=2

Definitely going to consider some 3 Pack Specials but we also want to sell out of the live element of this format.

So for the next 1-2 weeks we will focus on selling out the live portion and then we'll shift focus to the online portion of this game.

In the end -- I'm confident it will all work out and don't be surprised if you see quite a few incentives to sign up for multiple online leagues.

In regards to it being a great deal. I do think that giving our players a chance to participate in two live drafts with an opportunity to win $185,000 is a great value. Mix in that the entry fees combined for both leagues would be $1800 -- and I think we have a winner.

Glad you noticed the value proposition!

Thanks Sack for bringing this to light and I'm hopeful we'll get you interested in quite a few of the online leagues.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Originally posted by Sack:

OK, One more, a two parter. Greg will consider this one "weak",but ya gotta have a little fun.

You've managed to max out the spending limits on the Fanball expense cards. You've got one more dinner in St Louis. Joining you are Greg, Tom, and Charlie Wiegert. After dinner, you break the news about the cards being depleted.

A- Excluding yourself, which one of those stand up guys is going to reach for the check first?

B- Whom would be the last?

Feel free to cite examples/war stories to strengthen your point of view. This is actually quite funny because it's happened before. It actually happened at one of my favorite restaurants: Del Monico's Steak House in Las Vegas at the Venetian.

I had the entire staff there for dinner and I had over 70K on my credit cards - all business related.

Card was declined -- very embarrassing but Charlie was right there to help me out.

This happened a lot on that trip and Charlie was the first guy to step up and help me out.

So in order:

1. Charlie

2. Tom

3. Greg - he squeaks when he walks. I'd have no faith in him to bail me out. Not even sure he has a credit card.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Geoffrey Stein:

Ryan,

What do you think TMZ would pay for a picture of Greg holding a 24-ounce bottle of Corona that he's about to purchase? Will this do?

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Originally posted by Ryan E. Houston:

quote:Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Settle the office pool what does the E stand for? I have Edward. The E stands for Eric.

I think there is a IV in there somewhere also, but I rarely use that.

I love how Greg is fueling the fire -- I think he's used "Easy E" nine times in this thread.

[/QUOTE]If the "Easy" is an ode to Eric Wright, you can definitely tell you're a bunch of white guys! It's Eazy-E

Since you are a IV, have you or did you name your son the V? I'm a junior, I just couldn't bring myself to making my son a sophomore.

Regarding fanball, I'll be honest, I thought the software was one of the worst I've ever used, especially with the FAAB. Will it now be one of the best?

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

E,

How long have you and Fanball been coveting the NFBC?

What are some of the biggest obstacles that have been overcome with the purchase? Logistically, there had to be some hurdles that seemed very tall.

Greg says, we have no idea how much you've done behind the scenes. What are the things you have done behind the scenes?

Once the purchase was made, what were some of the surprises in the way Krause ran things as opposed to the Fanball style? I think it's safe to say that I really liked this business for a long time. Remember -- I played in it for quite a while.

I have been talking to Greg about a merger, buy-out, deal of some sort for what seems like 3-4 years now.

Biggest Hurdles: I'd say trying to figure who negotiated these hotel contracts and the magazines. Remember -- part of the reason we wanted this business was because of the Fantasy Sports titles. From the subscription model to the hotel contracts - it just seems like they didn't have a great sense for the business. I'll leave it at that. Needless to say -- we are happy to have it.

Behind the Scenes: Listen. I read the forums a lot and I always see Greg saying this. But let me be the first to say -- this is a team effort. Rarely do we roll out an idea or anything without having a meeting to discuss it. I'm not that guy who wants to mess up a good thing. All we care about is growing it. We care about creating something unique. We care about making sure that the experience is something you don't forget and makes you want to come back each and every year. We care about the retention rates. We care that we are almost sold out for 2010. Lots of things we care about -- but I don't arbitrarily do anything behind the scenes that Greg doesn't have a voice in.

Surprises: I can't really get into a lot of this stuff, but I'm really happy they decided to sell it.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

How many games are the Phillies going to finish above the Mets (on the way to their 3rd straight NL pennant)? I picked the Mets to win the World Series.

I guess we'll revisit this in October!

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

Will you consider changing the 12 team league formats to 15 team leagues in future years? Gekko --

I assume you are talking about the Double Play.

I think we have something for everyone and with the Double Play Live -- we really thought that was our "entry level" contest to try to appeal to the masses.

Again, that is our one sore spot in 2010 and Greg and I will be discussing this a lot in the next few weeks.

I can't imagine changing it now, but I'll talk to Greg to gauge his thoughts on the contest for 2011.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:

Ryan,

Do you guys sell nfbc t-shirts or hats? Or will you be selling any at the live events in late March? I asked this question to Greg in the "Ask the NFBC a Question" forum but he recommended posting here. Thanks.

Rich Let me do some research.

I can definitely see us offering some tshirt / hat designs on a pre-sell basis.

Great idea -- and I'll get Charlie to do some research on what we can do from a pricing standpoint.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Originally posted by RoundTrippers:

ryan thanks in advance...the last time you bought me a round of beers in arizona(1 of many)i noticed your bald head was alot shinier than mine. do u use a polish??? or is it all in the razor??? i know you said no family questions but if you could tell me if the wife n kids like the fact your bald?? also, being a single guy...how do u feel the ladies view "us " bald headed guys?? :D RT I do use a razor but I also have a secret -- I put lotion on my head right after shaving. That allows me to get that shine you were admiring!

I have no idea what single chicks think of it, but I know my wife hates it when I don't shave over the weekend.

I've always admired this bumper sticker:

It's not a bald spot -- it's a solar panel for a sex machine.

Ryan E. Houston

Post by Ryan E. Houston » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:03 pm

See you guys tomorrow --

Keep the questions coming.

Though -- I think Greg asked all the hard ones.

I'm sure they call that "insider trading" or something.

He's in BIG trouble!

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:15 pm

GREAT photo of Gregory! HA!!!
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Catch

Post by Catch » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Ryan,

What are us Main Event players to expect @ Bellagio as far as events go? I believe you have special plans for the Diamond players; but, I don't want you to forget us little guys.

Count me as a fan of the double play (12 team drafts). How about a 12 team auction championship in the future?

NYMets offering Citifield is terrific for fantasy sports and Fanball. As a former Chicagoan, I would love the chance to draft @ Wrigley Field. Can you make that happen?

Thanks, Tom Z

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 am

Originally posted by Hard Heads:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Plymouth:

[qb] You should be more profitable now that you don't have to outsource to Stats and MDC. Can't you take those new increased profits and use that to run your fancy events? In theory you should be making more money on your end which in turn should lead to better live events without extra customer fees or we should be seeing better payouts. Craig, fair enough questions and I'll let Ryan answer these. But in your analysis above, shouldn't we all be on the message boards of CBS Sportsline and asking them why they still charge $149 per league when they've owned this software for 15 years? I mean, under your analogy, there seems to be no more costs once you own the back-end and can thus just pass all the savings to the customers. I wish that were the case because then Sportsline would be charging me $49 per league instead of $149.

Again, the question about Events Fees is a worthy one and worth a good discussion. I'm sure you have no idea how much we spend hosting these live events. Anyone want to take a guess? For six different locations? Go ahead.

And you are right, for some people drafting in a basement with a case of beer is all they need. You admit you are in that group. But it's hard to take a national event to a higher level doing that. We're shooting for more than a modest increase each year in participation and no sponsorship revenue and no chance of TV. We're aiming higher than that.

I apologize for answering part of this question. I'll let Ryan do his part. I just think it makes good business sense to eventually own the back-end of your game and your draft software, but to think there has been no expense involved with the development of all of this is crazy. They have programmers working fulltime on just NFBC stuff now for months and all of that is on our NFBC budget. Even maintaining all of that and making steady improvements is on us.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hard Heads

Post by Hard Heads » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:00 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Hard Heads:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Plymouth:

[qb] You should be more profitable now that you don't have to outsource to Stats and MDC. Can't you take those new increased profits and use that to run your fancy events? In theory you should be making more money on your end which in turn should lead to better live events without extra customer fees or we should be seeing better payouts. Craig, fair enough questions and I'll let Ryan answer these. But in your analysis above, shouldn't we all be on the message boards of CBS Sportsline and asking them why they still charge $149 per league when they've owned this software for 15 years? I mean, under your analogy, there seems to be no more costs once you own the back-end and can thus just pass all the savings to the customers. I wish that were the case because then Sportsline would be charging me $49 per league instead of $149.

Again, the question about Events Fees is a worthy one and worth a good discussion. I'm sure you have no idea how much we spend hosting these live events. Anyone want to take a guess? For six different locations? Go ahead.

And you are right, for some people drafting in a basement with a case of beer is all they need. You admit you are in that group. But it's hard to take a national event to a higher level doing that. We're shooting for more than a modest increase each year in participation and no sponsorship revenue and no chance of TV. We're aiming higher than that.

I apologize for answering part of this question. I'll let Ryan do his part. I just think it makes good business sense to eventually own the back-end of your game and your draft software, but to think there has been no expense involved with the development of all of this is crazy. They have programmers working fulltime on just NFBC stuff now for months and all of that is on our NFBC budget. Even maintaining all of that and making steady improvements is on us.
[/QUOTE]Fair enough Greg.

I get it you are a business and businesses are in it to make money. I need to accept that fact and move on. Just as a guy who is hooked on the high stakes event and no longer has any desire to play anything else it is frustrating to see that we play in leagues where we pay in 75000 in entry fees and get paid back 65000. I need to either quit playing these leagues or I need to stop dwelling on the numbers cause as we have seen this year these payouts have stayed the same but fees have been added and that probably won't change in the consumers favor anytime soon. Thanks for answering the question. Maybe Ryan has something to add....
Hard Heads

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 am

Craig, you are in the NFBC Super League and the payouts DID INCREASE this year. We increased the Super payouts by $1,250 and in the Ultimate by $2,500. Those two leagues now pay out 86.7% and the Diamond League pays out 93.5%. I know folks want us to pay 100% and higher, but you just can't do that when you have so many expenses involved.

We're looking at the numbers differently. You see $5,000 profit in the league you're in. I see multiple venues, phone hookups, food, beverage and rental space, employees, facilitators, draft boards, back-end support, etc. and know what the final profit is on this one league. It's not $5,000.

It's all good. It's a win-win for everyone, but at the end of the day each league must make sense from a player's standpoint and a business standpoint or it becomes the next FantasyJungle, AFFL or pick your other business that didn't pay out.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 am

Ryan, not to beat a dead horse about payouts, but at what point can the Main Event participants see a healthier return on their investment? Is there a plan in place that once say, X amount of leagues are signed up, payouts to the individual leagues will increase? As well as a healthier distribution to the top 1-10 or even 1-15? The 100k is a nice carrot to chase obviously, but loses its luster at a certain point.

Thanks.

waiverwire

Post by waiverwire » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 am

-Any plans to allow payment for NFBC events by Paypal or from Snapdraft accounts?

-Any thoughts of potentially offering a contest with daily transactions in the future?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 am

Ryan-

I like the Double Play concept, but I'm not sure the average player wants to compete against a thousand players to win the top prize. Personally I'd like to see an overall prize plus some subdivisions. I was thinking something like this:

Overall $50,000

Double play $25,000

Then maybe three or four groups to win say a $20,000 prize. You would have to work on the numbers to make it work. Maybe you need 350 entries in each group. You could have a January, February, March, and Double Play bracket. Some player might like to do one in each group. With all the slow draft action, I think players are looking for something else. Hell one of the brackets could be a 15 team grouping and that could be a separate prize. What do you think?

[ February 16, 2010, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: CC's Desperados ]

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 am

There's a rumor on the street that no one from the west coast has won the overall prize. Some think the free agent time should be later to allow the coast to have a life on Sunday, do you see this as a problem?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:17 am

In football, why can't the free agent time be on the weekend?