Speed Drafting

Top Dawg

Speed Drafting

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 am

In reading the post started by GG about the pace of his draft and the run on pitching, it made me think about the draft I did in AC on Sunday. Tom and the head of Fanball ran the draft and along with a group of guys that really knew who they wanted, so the draft went at a pace I thought was much faster than normal. Usually the sticker person slows down the draft, but this guy seemed to have the sticker in hand before you made your pick.

I did not think much of it at the time, other than to notice that I had less time to scratch off names and think about what I needed than normal. When the dust settled, I stuck around to look over the boards and everyone sort of ran off in a hurry. A cleaning woman came in and asked if we were on a break and I said we were done. She seemed shocked and asked if she could take away the cookies, beer and soda.... I said to myself... "what beer, cookies and soda??" The draft went so fast that I needed most of the "break time" to catch up on the players I missed and figure out what I still needed to get.

The point of all of this is that I sort of missed "the event". Speed drafting is OK online from home. But if you travel to a city, maybe we should all just take a breath between picks, enjoy the day and talk a little trash here and there.

Pete

[ March 23, 2010, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Top Dawg ]
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

CC's Desperados

Speed Drafting

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 am

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

In reading the post started by GG about the pace of his draft and the run on pitching, it made me think about the draft I did in AC on Sunday. Tom and the head of Fanball ran the draft and along with a group of guys that really knew who they wanted, so the draft went at a pace I thought was much faster than normal. Usually the sticker person slows down the draft, but this guy seemed to have the sticker in hand before you made your pick.

I did not think much of it at the time, other than to notice that I had less time to scratch off names and think about what I needed than normal. When the dust settled, I stuck around to look over the boards and everyone sort of ran off in a hurry. A cleaning woman came in and asked if we were on a break and I said we were done. She seemed shocked and asked if she could take away the cookies, beer and soda.... I said to myself... "what beer, cookies and soda??" The draft went so fast that I needed most of the "break time" to catch up on the players I missed and figure out what I still needed to get.

The point of all of this is that I sort of missed "the event". Speed drafting is OK online from home. But if you travel to a city, maybe we should all just take a breath between picks, enjoy the day and talk a little trash here and there.

Pete If the draft was moving fast, why didn't you take the full minute to get caught up? It seems like everyone thought it was too fast, but each player can slow it down.

Sack

Speed Drafting

Post by Sack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:07 am

Pete:

Glad you brought this up. Nothing worse than waiting all Winter for this day, sitting down and having guys in your league wanting to skip breaks and finish this as fast as possible.

I think it is upon the person that paid $1300 plus dollars to speak up if something isn't right and your not ENJOYING the draft. Heck, it is your draft. Poor communication between the facillitator/sticker people can also add to this.

I'll have NO problem speaking out at the table. If you don't get any satisfaction you have the option SHAWN mentioned and I'd take it one step further by actually finding Greg, Tom, or whomever is in charge and airing my gripe.

Good thread. Can't say I've run into many problems. But I'm not going to sit silent for a bunch of guys that want to speed draft.

[ March 23, 2010, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Sack ]

76erfan

Speed Drafting

Post by 76erfan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:37 am

Hey there..I was sticker guy on Sunday. This was the draft that was 7 of us in AC, 3 in LV and 2 on the phone. Time was actually being kept by the guys in LV...I just basically put the stickers up as fast as I could so that I wouldnt be the cause of slowing us down. But they were starting the clock before I was even putting the stickers up since 5 people werent there in AC with us.

I was in no hurry personally..just trying to do my job. I heard there were sticker issues in LV. I also did stickers for main event on saturday and our draft finished last of the 3 in the room. So I am not that fast:)

kgrady

Speed Drafting

Post by kgrady » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 am

I have experienced both ends of the spectrum at the NFBC main event. I have been in a draft where the facilitator seemed to have a plane to catch. I have also been in a draft that went 5 tedious hours. The others have been appropriately in-between.

I agree with the suggestion that you should use your full minute to catch up if the pace is too quick. The rule is that the clock should not start until the prior owner's pick is posted on the board. If the facilitator disregards this, you absolutely should speak up. It's often difficult to hear the pick with other drafts going on around you. Everyone has the right to see the name posted on the board before the next selection is made.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

billywaz

Speed Drafting

Post by billywaz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by Top Dawg:

Pete If the draft was moving fast, why didn't you take the full minute to get caught up? It seems like everyone thought it was too fast, but each player can slow it down.
[/QUOTE]This is the part I don't understand either, Shawn.

My only logical explanation as if you need to take yout time, you are perceived not as skilled as someone else. :rolleyes:

Totally incorrect, but not totally ridiculous to think that, IMO.

RobG

Speed Drafting

Post by RobG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:21 am

At the same time, if you know who you want to pick because you are prepared, then why shouldn't you make the pick right away? Obviously by not giving the person behind you the extra time you are possibly putting yourself at an advantage. Just don't gripe when karma throws this back at you.
Rob Giese

Chest Rockwell

Speed Drafting

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 am

I actually disagree with a couple of folks that I normally agree with on this subject. If you want the draft to move slower take your full minute. If you want it to move faster do the opposite. Other than that things are out of your hand. The facilitators should make every effort to hang stickers as quickly as possible.

It is not my place to ask for the other drafters to speed up or slow down. The draft moves at the consensus speed of the drafters.

I do not understand why you would not take the full minute you are alloted if you are concerned about the pace. I personally tend to go about 5 seconds the first 10 rounds and then full minute after that. I also tend to take longer if I am drafting at the ends b/c I am looking more at supply and demand for the 2 picks I will be making over a short period of time.

eddiejag

Speed Drafting

Post by eddiejag » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:50 am

Originally posted by RobG:

At the same time, if you know who you want to pick because you are prepared, then why shouldn't you make the pick right away? Obviously by not giving the person behind you the extra time you are possibly putting yourself at an advantage. Just don't gripe when karma throws this back at you. I totally agree with this.If your ready why wait dont help out the enemy.I myself cant stand when a team uses the full minute everytime.If you need the time fine if you dont then pick.The Jersey 2 league was done close to 6 oclock and league 3 was about ten minutes after us.We also had to ride 6 hours back to RI so a fast draft i wouldnt have minded.Still you adjust and i can do either but someting in the middle of a slow draft or fast is what i like.
EDWARD J GILLIS

FSeibel

Speed Drafting

Post by FSeibel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 am

I was at the Sunday AC Draft too and thought everything went well from a timing perspective.

My co-owner & I had some templates printed out to make it easier for us to write down picks & track which teams had which positions filled etc.. I truly liked the brisk pace of the draft.

The only issue I had, was that one owner plugged their laptop into an outlet in the draft room. From what I read in the rules, the NFBC would "NOT" supply power for laptops etc... My co-owner & I didn't bring our laptops down as we figured our battery pack would not last for the entire draft. If I had known we could have plugged our laptops in during the draft, then we would have brought them down. Other then that minor quibble I was quite pleased with everything.

DOUGHBOYS

Speed Drafting

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:05 am

After reading this and the 'utterly ridiculous' thread, I have come to the conclusion that if you say a SP's name as fast as you can when it's your turn, more than one person will be uncomfortable.

[ March 23, 2010, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Sack

Speed Drafting

Post by Sack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 am

KGRADY hit the nail on the head.

"The rule is that the clock should not start until the prior owner's pick is posted on the board. If the facilitator disregards this, you absolutely should speak up".

This is all I ask. If the draft starts to move to fast - this is the point that needs to be brought up.

FSEIBEL:

"The only issue I had, was that one owner plugged their laptop into an outlet in the draft room. From what I read in the rules, the NFBC would "NOT" supply power for laptops"

You are correct. Had you spoken up, the person would have had to run on battery power. I understand it is unconfortable to be the ONE that speaks up, but this is in the rules for a reason. The person in question caught a break, he shouldn't have been allowed to be plugged into a power source during a live draft.

[ March 23, 2010, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Sack ]

FSeibel

Speed Drafting

Post by FSeibel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 am

He started out on battery power & plugged in during the draft. I assumed (Wrongfully so I guess) that the NFBC representatives running the draft would have told him that was a no-no.

EliGrimmett

Speed Drafting

Post by EliGrimmett » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 am

It's just that it doesn't seem to really be against the rules.

In the rules it states, "There will be NO Internet connections or electrical outlets, so participants bringing laptops will have to supply their own power."

This indicates that there WILL NOT BE OUTLETS. Once outlets are actually present there would need to be another rule to address that situation.

At least this is how I would interpret the rule.
"This guy here is dead."
"Cross him off then."

Bama

Speed Drafting

Post by Bama » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 am

Originally posted by EliGrimmett:

It's just that it doesn't seem to really be against the rules.

In the rules it states, "There will be NO Internet connections or electrical outlets, so participants bringing laptops will have to supply their own power."

This indicates that there WILL NOT BE OUTLETS. Once outlets are actually present there would need to be another rule to address that situation.

At least this is how I would interpret the rule. I think the policy has always been is that they will not furnish internet access or make sure that there is power outlets in the room that you draft. If a outlet is present in the draft room then you are free to use it.

EliGrimmett

Speed Drafting

Post by EliGrimmett » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:00 am

Bama: That's how I always thought it was, too.
"This guy here is dead."
"Cross him off then."

FSeibel

Speed Drafting

Post by FSeibel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:16 am

My interpretation would be since the NFBC is renting the room out for the day, that if their were outlets they would make sure no one would use them.

Reason being, if they allowed the person to use the outlets in a room they rented out, the NFBC would then be supplying the power.

JohnP

Speed Drafting

Post by JohnP » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:20 am

My interpretation and experience is that you can plug into an outlet up until the draft starts and then can recharge at the breaks. This generally works out just fine for those bringing laptops.

headhunters

Speed Drafting

Post by headhunters » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:25 am

i saw nothing in the rules about when the clock starts. it says the pick is official when it is announced.

EliGrimmett

Speed Drafting

Post by EliGrimmett » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 am

Originally posted by FSeibel:

My interpretation would be since the NFBC is renting the room out for the day, that if their were outlets they would make sure no one would use them.

Reason being, if they allowed the person to use the outlets in a room they rented out, the NFBC would then be supplying the power. FSeibel: The rule states nothing about the NFBC supplying or not supplying power - it states clearly this: "There will be NO Internet connections or electrical outlets, so participants bringing laptops will have to supply their own power."

Like I said, once outlets become present they don't actually have a rule for that.

But, because the wording is obviously being interpreted differently by different drafters I do think the NFBC should step in and provide more clarification.

Also, like was said before, in my experience in the two main events I've done is that players have used outlets whenever they have found them close enough to their drafting table.

[ March 23, 2010, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: EliGrimmett ]
"This guy here is dead."
"Cross him off then."

FSeibel

Speed Drafting

Post by FSeibel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 am

Like I said it was a minor quibble & since Tom was in the room for the draft I assume it was cool. That being said since there have been at least 3 different interpretations of the rule, a little clarification would be good, so as to avoid confusion.

sportsbettingman

Speed Drafting

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:25 am

I believe PART of the "No Outlets" rule would be supply enough for all, or for none.

There's also the tripping hazard to extension cords and liability.

I've witnessed drafters who actually brought duct tape and multi-outlet extension cords, and supplied enough power for the entire table, and duct taped the cord to the carpet to make it safe to walk over.

All these years and advancements in tech, and they can't develpoe a laptop battery that can hold a full charge for 10 hours??? Pathetic.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Sack

Speed Drafting

Post by Sack » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:38 am

Lance:

They have.... just bought a $700 Toshiba Laptop with 10 hours of battery power. ;)

Worked great for the 6 hour Auction in AC.

Lance: the Pig Farmer is going to miss you this year.

sportsbettingman

Speed Drafting

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:56 am

Originally posted by Sack:

Lance:

They have.... just bought a $700 Toshiba Laptop with 10 hours of battery power. ;)

Worked great for the 6 hour Auction in AC.

Lance: the Pig Farmer is going to miss you this year. I'll be the one doin' the missin'! :D

Hope you and that Pig F-er have another great season! :D
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Top Dawg

Speed Drafting

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 am

First things first since I started this thread, I was not in ANY possible way, shape or form saying anything bad about the way the draft was handled. Tom, the facilitator and the sticker guy did a fantastic job. Heck, they even let that jerk (that would be me) plug his laptop into a side outlet...

My only point was, that it seemed to be over almost as soon as it started. As I ate my cookies, and had a beer alone after the draft with the facilitator (here is where you should be shedding some tears for me), I felt like I missed out on the "event" part of the "live event". I guess having 5 of the 12 owners at a remote location also was part of the "lost experience".

If I had one suggestion, since making picks fast or slow is an individual decision, it would be makeing the breaks a bit longer. Maybe 30 minutes for the 1st and 20 for the second' instead of 15 minutes or so. Heck, we could take in the "live experinece", eat some cookies, have a beer, take a leak and "recharge our batteries".

Pete (laptop criminal and electricity stealng thug)

[ March 23, 2010, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Top Dawg ]
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.