Big Tex

Gekko

Big Tex

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:26 am

I know this will make a lot of people happy, Big Tex lasted until pick 2.5 in a NY league (not mine, of course). :eek: :eek: :eek:

Spyhunter

Big Tex

Post by Spyhunter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 am

I was pretty surprised to see that league Mark, to get both Tex and Mauer with the first two picks from the 11th hole was a little silly! Great to see you and I wish we hadn't both targeted the same players!!!

Chris aka Spyhunter

Dirt Dogs

Big Tex

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:37 am

Pujols also went 3 overall in this league. Lets just say there were some guys slipping in this league. Back up the truck baby.
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

The Mighty Men

Big Tex

Post by The Mighty Men » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:52 am

Crazy stuff happens. I saw twice yesterday a Braun/Rollins start, and Lincecum fell to team 8 in round 2 in our league.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

billywaz

Big Tex

Post by billywaz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:59 am

I knew I should have went to NY!

As I have said before, guys fall in EVERY league. We (well some of us ;) ) just seem to only see what others benefit from, rather than seeing what we got to fall in our laps.

Texieria falling to 20th overall, is the single most shocking pick I have seen. :eek:

Zobrist went at 3.1 in my league.

[ March 28, 2010, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: billywaz ]

Glenneration X

Big Tex

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:02 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

Pujols also went 3 overall in this league. Lets just say there were some guys slipping in this league. Back up the truck baby. I had no problem with Pujols falling to three. :D

Glenn

Glenneration X

Big Tex

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:03 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

Crazy stuff happens. I saw twice yesterday a Braun/Rollins start, and Lincecum fell to team 8 in round 2 in our league. Lincecum fell to team 3 (28th overall) in our league. Again, like the Pujols drop, I had no problem with this. :D

Glenn

JamesH

Big Tex

Post by JamesH » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:10 am

The team picking 7th in Chicago League #2 took 5 closers in their top 11 picks. I was happy to end up with Rivera, Rauch w/ Ziegler and Storen as possible closers. I also noticed Kinsler falling a long way in Chicago. We took him at 2.6, but I think he went as late as 2.11. Some other weird things included Sandoval going at 2.1 and Halladay going prior to Lincecum. In one of the other Chicago drafts Zimmerman went at 2.1. Pitching also seemed to be going much later than expected. We accumulated the following staff.

Haren (4.6)

Rivera (5.10)

Billingsley (8.6)

Lackey (10.6)

Jurrjens (12.6)

Rauch (14.6)

Happ (17.10)

Homer Bailey (18.6)

Rowland-Smith (23.10)

Braden (25.10)

Ziegler (26.6)

Storen (29.10)

[ March 28, 2010, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Jules Winnfield ]

The Mighty Men

Big Tex

Post by The Mighty Men » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 am

Kinsler - We took him at 3.5 in the Double Play last night.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

DoubleX

Big Tex

Post by DoubleX » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:52 am

Originally posted by Jules Winnfield:

The team picking 7th in Chicago League #2 took 5 closers in their top 11 picks. That is a nice staff and the rounds you got them in.

Just curious but the team that went closers, what is their SP staff looking like? Did they go with a RP draft strategy in the main?

Scott Boras

Big Tex

Post by Scott Boras » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:04 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

Crazy stuff happens. I saw twice yesterday a Braun/Rollins start, and Lincecum fell to team 8 in round 2 in our league. Lincecum fell to team 3 (28th overall) in our league. Again, like the Pujols drop, I had no problem with this. :D

Glenn
[/QUOTE]Glenn, did you get the best hitter and the best pitcher on the same team? Please post your team!

Catch

Big Tex

Post by Catch » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 am

The topic is about good players falling ie Mark Teixeira. As for Ryan Zimmerman going 2.1, I like that pick, he definitely does not come back to the same team @ 3.15 and I am sure the drafter did not request the 15 spot as any of his top choices and he went about his draft with his plan already in place not to be dictated by draft spot and adp report from satellite leagues.

Frozen Tundra

Big Tex

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:07 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

Pujols also went 3 overall in this league. Lets just say there were some guys slipping in this league. Back up the truck baby. I had no problem with Pujols falling to three. :D

Glenn
[/QUOTE]You can make an argument for any of those three guys being number 1 or falling to 3. It's going to be tough for AP to repeat last year's numbers. History has shown that it's hard to be back2back stats champ. Arod's numbers would definitely look a lot better this year since he's hopefully not going to miss a month and a half and is seemingly past the steroids/ringless/playoff choker BS. And Hanley's entering the prime of his career and therefore has tremendous upside in an extremely shallow position. I would not be surprised at all to see any of those three guys taken #1 but in NYC I saw only our league (#5) where Pujols didn't go first.

BTW, I want to thank the organizers for a great show they put on and all the participants I had a chance to meet and talk to. A truly great experience for a newcomer like me.

Good luck to all and have a healthy season.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Gekko

Big Tex

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:25 am

Originally posted by billywaz:

why go to NY, you already drafted in the Double A league. next year you might get called up to the bigs ;) :D

Glenneration X

Big Tex

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 am

Originally posted by Scott Boras:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

Glenn
[/QUOTE]Glenn, did you get the best hitter and the best pitcher on the same team? Please post your team!
[/QUOTE]Posted.....

billywaz

Big Tex

Post by billywaz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by billywaz:

why go to NY, you already drafted in the Double A league. next year you might get called up to the bigs ;) :D
[/QUOTE]Is this gonna be the excuse if I do well? :rolleyes:

Again Mark....ALL leagues had people slip....even yours! ;)

Gekko

Big Tex

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

[/QUOTE]i hope you do well, you know that!! we all had a choice to play in an online league . we also know all leagues aren't created equal. some people decided to play in the online league, some people didn't.

i give jabs at chicago, florida (DOA) and the online crew. don't take it personal.

billywaz

Big Tex

Post by billywaz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

[/QUOTE]some people decided to play in the online league, some people didn't.

[/QUOTE]Yep, we all made choices. For example, some people were headed to Vegas and then stayed in NY when they found out many sharks were swimming there. ;)

Gekko

Big Tex

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Yep, we all made choices. For example, some people were headed to Vegas and then stayed in NY when they found out many sharks were swimming there. ;) turns out i had edelman, eddy b and a shawn childs disciple (making picks exactly like shawn would. edelman even picked up on that. heck shawn could have 3+ teams in the main event for all i know ).

ya, a lot of sharks were in vegas, some in NY, but was there even one shark in an online league? anyone with a top 5 finish overall?

RobG

Big Tex

Post by RobG » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

Crazy stuff happens. I saw twice yesterday a Braun/Rollins start, and Lincecum fell to team 8 in round 2 in our league. Jack, I was one of those that let Rollins and Holiday pass me in the second round from the 11th spot, but I couldn't help myself from drafting Upton. In Chi 3, the Braun team got Rollins and Hanley slid to 3 and was paired with Elsbury...great start by both.
Rob Giese

kgrady

Big Tex

Post by kgrady » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

I was pretty surprised to see that league Mark, to get both Tex and Mauer with the first two picks from the 11th hole was a little silly!

Chris,

It was great chatting with you after the draft. Mark Teixeira sliding that far into the second round sure was a topic of conversation! :eek: Hopefully our teams will both have strong seasons.

Kevin (NY League 3 - team 10)
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

crazytown

Big Tex

Post by crazytown » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm

I went Howard over Tex in this NYC league. Had Tex been there for me in 2, I would have definately started Howard/Tex. He went right before me.

King of Queens

Big Tex

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Maybe some of the drafters in this league are clairvoyant!