FAAB {Processed for leagues drafting after March 28

viper

Post by viper » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Why did my March 31st league have FAAB processed? I asked for the date in "Ask NFBC a question" forum but there never was a response. So I then went to the Rules page and found my answer. The answer is below in bold.

First and Last Free Agent Bidding Deadlines: For leagues that draft on or before Sunday, March 28, the first free agent bidding deadline is Sunday, April 4, at 8 PM ET. For leagues that draft on Monday, March 29, through Saturday, April 3, the first free agent bidding deadline is Sunday, April 11, at 8 PM ET. The last free agent bidding deadline is Sunday, September 26, at 8 PM ET.

I'm not sure what I may have done but I could see the RULES specifically stated that April 11th would be the first date for FAAB. I now see that FAAB was processed for my league.

Could someone explain to me why this happened?

waiverwire

Post by waiverwire » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 am

Greg announced in the forums that this was being changed. The reason for the original rule was operational (they couldn't get rosters entered quickly enough from MDC) and once they switched to their own software, there was no reason not to treat all leagues equally.

Obviously, the one reason would have been that it was in the rules that way.

viper

Post by viper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 am

I check many forum posts but not all. It seems to be bad policy to make "written in stone" rules changes on a forum. Also, I would ask Greg why he did not answer my very specific post in the "ASK a question" forum. His/Geoff's/Tom's failure to answer my specific question caused me to check the rules. Read the rules is rule #1 in fantasy sports. I'm not a rookie (member #40) but I am not reading every single post.

Could you direct me to the post he made. Hopefully it wasn't on page 5 of a deep thread.

Not overly upset but clearly not happy.

PBR Street

Post by PBR Street » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 am

Originally posted by viper:

I check many forum posts but not all. It seems to be bad policy to make "written in stone" rules changes on a forum. Also, I would ask Greg why he did not answer my very specific post in the "ASK a question" forum. His/Geoff's/Tom's failure to answer my specific question caused me to check the rules. Read the rules is rule #1 in fantasy sports. I'm not a rookie (member #40) but I am not reading every single post.

Could you direct me to the post he made. Hopefully it wasn't on page 5 of a deep thread.

Not overly upset but clearly not happy. Viper,

Hate to say it but it was page 6 of a deep thread.

http://nfbcboards.fanball.com/cgi-bin/u ... 005317;p=6

There has got to be a better way than message boards for the management to communicate information of wide applicability to customers. That's partly what is stirring up all these cries of armageddon and has people seeing signs of the apocalypse. If there was a NFBC-wide email that went out recognizing the FAAB problem and detailing what is being done about it, people might still be disgruntled, but it would cut down on a lot of the speculation and doomsday scenarios.

Plus, you cannot communicate a rule change on page 6 of a thread. While I happened to read it by good fortune, I know many people did not. Many times leagues are won and lost by the smallest of margins...When I was trying to figure out FAAB, the first place I would go is the rules, not page 6 of a forum thread.

ESPN had a similar problem a few years ago when they revamped their fantasy baseball product and did a poor job communicating about what was going on.

I'm in my first year of NFBC. Still think overall it is a quality product and appreciate all the work Greg, Tom and Geoff do. Hopefully a lesson learned for next year. I'm sure this will all be fixed and we'll probably shrug it off in a couple months.

viper

Post by viper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:28 am

yep, it is clear that I missed that post hidden deep within one of the longest threads of the season.

It sure would have been nice if the Rules page had been changed or my other message had been answered. I did verify the rule yesterday afternoon. Balls get dropped by owners and administrators but this one is more on the NFBC than me. I never realized that reading every single post was a requirement of play.

It would have been better if Greg started a separate thread on this explaining to the level he did in the middle of a long thread. But even if he did, I may have missed it what with everything going on in my other leagues and work and sports in general. Just correcting the rules would have been the best solution but then I'm one who previously believed leagues ran by posted rules.

This is the least of all the issues this morning.

[ April 05, 2010, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: viper ]