Anyone else watching the Mets/Cardinals?

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:15 pm

0 to 0 in the 18th! Unreal

Y Molina has caught it all so far for St. Louis. yikes...

viper

Post by viper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:28 pm

for the Cardinals, Felipe Lopez was replaced on the mound with Joe Mather.

This is a sentence that no one could have predicted.

JeffSeilhamer

Post by JeffSeilhamer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:34 pm

And Kyle Loshe in Left Field.. :eek:

Oh and thanks to Jason Bay and his big 0-7..

But the real thanks goes to Ubaldo Jimenez :D :D That'll help out the ERA and WHIP
Chase Utley for M.V.P & Roy Halladay for CY Young!

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 pm

F. Lopez ss-3b-p-3b

and

J. Mather ph-cf-3b-p (in line for the loss in the 19th w/o giving up a hit)

Ludwick leads off and gets caught stealing with Pujols at the plate. WTH? Pujols long deep double right after the CS and the power hitting Lohse up to bat.

[ April 17, 2010, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: MadCow Sez ]
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Geoffrey Stein

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Originally posted by viper:

This is a sentence that no one could have predicted. Only nine more games until they're eligible!
Geoffrey Stein - (No Longer)Senior Editor, Fanball.com (R.I.P.)
[email protected]
AIM: gstein729

JeffSeilhamer

Post by JeffSeilhamer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Of course now K-Rod blows my save. And he still doesn't have one this year! :mad: :mad: :mad: He better get the vulture win.
Chase Utley for M.V.P & Roy Halladay for CY Young!

viper

Post by viper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Originally posted by Geoffrey Stein:

quote:Originally posted by viper:

This is a sentence that no one could have predicted. Only nine more games until they're eligible!
[/QUOTE]Does a pitcher qualify as a UT hitter after his 10th pinch hit appearance? Did I really ask that?

High Octane Baseball

Post by High Octane Baseball » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Originally posted by viper:

quote:Originally posted by Geoffrey Stein:

quote:Originally posted by viper:

[/QUOTE]Does a pitcher qualify as a UT hitter after his 10th pinch hit appearance? Did I really ask that?
[/QUOTE]Thats a good question considering that Carlos Zambrano pitch hits quite a bit for the Cubs..

Back to the game...this will take a start away from all the vets..namely the catchers..and OUCH to Bay, Reyes and the rest that went O for the evening...

Dub

Post by Dub » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 pm

bet you dont see this again.

Krod win and Pelfrey save...

although we dont see it the other way too much either
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:23 am

Wow, what a wild day/night of baseball. Ubaldo Jimenez throws a no-hitter with six walks. Did I hear right or did the Braves' fans actually boo when he got the no-hitter? I know they weren't booing Jimenez -- they were displeased with their home team -- but don't fans usually cheer when they witness history? I was surprised at that.

He was wildly effective. Nobody on the Braves hit the ball hard. Pretty impressive.

And that Cards game was still going on when the no-hitter ended. That was crazy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:12 am

Fascinating game to watch from a strategy standpoint. Tony LaRussa really backed himself into a corner due to his propensity for pitching changes and double switches. He used up all his relievers and chose to pitch infielder Felipe Lopez and outfielder Joe Mather rather than use one of his starting pitchers in relief. Also, one of LaRussa's double switches left him with the pitcher batting behind Albert Pujols. This made it ridiculously easy for Jerry Manuel to intentionally walk Pujols each time he came to the plate. LaRussa is rightfully praised for his success as a skipper, but this game was not one of his shining moments.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 am

Originally posted by kgrady:

Fascinating game to watch from a strategy standpoint. Tony LaRussa really backed himself into a corner due to his propensity for pitching changes and double switches. He used up all his relievers and chose to pitch infielder Felipe Lopez and outfielder Joe Mather rather than use one of his starting pitchers in relief. Also, one of LaRussa's double switches left him with the pitcher batting behind Albert Pujols. This made it ridiculously easy for Jerry Manuel to intentionally walk Pujols each time he came to the plate. LaRussa is rightfully praised for his success as a skipper, but this game was not one of his shining moments.

Kevin I still can't get over the Ludwick CS. Lohse isn't the guy you fear at the plate covering Pujols. Ludwick may not score on that double by Pujols but you would have runners on 2B and 3B at least. Are you really gonna IBB Lohse to load the bases with nobody out?

I have to admit using position players to finish out may help later. Seem to remember an early season extra inning game in the NL West a year or two ago where they brought an SP back to pitch relief and that pretty much shot his season afterward. Wonder if Pelfrey will have some ill effects later on.

No matter what...that was a fun game to follow after UJ's no-no.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 am

Originally posted by MadCow Sez:

Seem to remember an early season extra inning game in the NL West a year or two ago where they brought an SP back to pitch relief and that pretty much shot his season afterward. This may be Aaron Harang from 2008, which I personally believe has been over-exaggerated with respect to the effect it has had on him.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm not especially critical of the fact that Tony LaRussa used position players on the mound in a 20 inning game. Rather I question how he got to that point. LaRussa tends to overmanage. He makes far too many pitching changes. He removes pitchers who are pitching well simply to gain a short-term platoon advantage. This catches up with him occasionally in two different ways. One is that he runs out of pitchers like he did in this game. The other is that he takes out an effective pitcher only to stumble across another hurler who has nothing on that given day and blows the game.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Molina catching tonight after 20 last night.