I don't mind you posting here

And wasting all my time

I think you're just what I needed

I needed someone to beat

Ken

Auction Rules Change for 2006

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:08 am

And I would do anything to win,

I'd start minor leaguers and that's a fact.

I would do anything to win,

Draft all the hitters and never look back.

Yes I would do anything to win,

I'd even do that, yes I'd even do that.

hankstr

Post by hankstr » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:21 am

You may not have

A starting pitcher at all

But remember brother and sisters

You can still.....stand tall

OGB

Post by OGB » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:58 pm

lol :D

you guys are way too creative

The Duker

Post by The Duker » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:26 pm

League 7 NY here. Most of us who are playing are not trying to defy the odds and create a system to circumvent the spirit of the league and the rules.

We really want to look back and appreciate our drafting projections and win a season long competition.

So all we have to hope for is that next year the rules are modified so we don't have teams attempting to draft retired or permanently disabled players. Might as well allow someone to pick Warren Spahn as Rob Nen.

Tanking two categories- wins and k's is only useful if you win first place in rto, era, and saves. One of their stud relievers goes down and their entire team folds and crumbles.

If pitching is worth 75 points and you earn 47, in most leagues last year you would also have to win 80% or 60 points in offense to win the league. No guarantees there.

I think the anger was because teams that attempted to draft more prudently were totally denied relievers they wanted and they feel the tactic was virtual cheating. I am not sure I don't agree.

Most of us there had fun, enjoy the experience, and simply don't want it tainted.
Norm 'Duke' Kent

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:06 pm

Originally posted by The Duker:

[QB]

I think the anger was because teams that attempted to draft more prudently were totally denied relievers they wanted and they feel the tactic was virtual cheating. I am not sure I don't agree.

The 2 "all reliever" teams took 5 closers. Seems to me 25 remaining closers is ample for 13 teams. It also occurs to me that the rules do not require you to have a closer, unlike football where you have to start a RB, even if all you have are scrubs.

No team was denied a reliever, unless you consider waiting to round 12 or whatever being denied, and that's a decision on the part of the drafting team and is not imposed by the 2 reliever teams.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:57 pm

spirit of the league and the rules?????

Sorry but when you play for big money the only spirits I'm interested in is the champagne at the check presentation.

I don't know if that strategy will pay off but when someone pays $1250 for his team he ought to be able to do whatever he wants with it within the rules.

superpion

Post by superpion » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:18 am

I have to completely DISAGREE that the spirit of the rules have been violated. I think that the rules are exactly what they are and to apply any strategy within those rules to field what that individual deems to be the most competitive team possible is FAIR PLAY. For those that believe the "outside the box" strategies are not within the spirit of the rules, consider this:

Greg and Tom, the guys who write the rules and manage this competition, were fully aware that people might use a "no starter" pitching strategy going into LAST YEAR'S competition and they did nothing to prevent that strategy. Having seen that strategy used LAST YEAR, they did nothing to amend the rules to prevent going into THIS YEAR.

With that being said, if you applied a logical approach to your argument, you are essentially saying that YOUR VERSION of the spirit of the rules overrides both the other competitors in this contest AND the GUYS WHO WROTE THE RULES.

I personally am not sure if I would find that strategy to be the optimal way to win a league or an overall competition but I would not begrudge those that do and I certainly believe "alternative strategies" to be within the spirit of the rules.

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:46 am

When Nen comes back, I'll have 4 closers. Also, the Major League leader in saves last year was available to me in the 4th round and I took him. I never would have thought I would get both Gagne and Rivera on my team. My strategy was to get 3 closers, no matter who they were. Mock draft and other sources had all the top relievers gone before the 4th round.

As jersey paul said, there were 25 closers left on the board for the other teams. If you wanted a top closer, you should have taken one.

I took chances with those closers. Both are or were injured at the time of the draft. I went out on a limb with my a number of players. If you want to play it safe, that's fine. If I happen to win, it will be because I have Bonds, Bay, Kearns, Giambi. All players that have question marks and it seems nobody wanted to take the chance on them.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:47 am

I hate to break this to you, but Nen retired

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:51 am

ROB NENN! Did you draft Ankiel to play the outfield?

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:49 am

Hey, if he unretires, I get some saves. If he doesn't, I hopefully still win era and whip. And yes I knew he retired.

Ankiel was taken as a total goof. Don't forget Trachsel. I actually have to waste $1 on FAAB to get rid of Ankiel. Just in case he somehow gets in a game(although very unlikely). And would have to do the same if Trachsel is not out for the year.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:50 am

You should have picked up Nolan Ryan. He could come back, too.

And Willie Mays Hayes could swipe 90

D
Just Some Guy

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:53 am

I specifically asked if I could take Nenn at the draft. Rocky said yes. So I took him. Remember, Albert Belle is still actually on the Orioles roster. At least he was at the beginning of 2004. Maybe his contract is finally done.

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:57 am

LOL. I was joking about Ankiel. You took him as a goof? LOL.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:58 am

Originally posted by crazytown.gov:

I specifically asked if I could take Nenn at the draft. Rocky said yes. So I took him. Remember, Albert Belle is still actually on the Orioles roster. At least he was at the beginning of 2004. Maybe his contract is finally done. Of course you can take Nenn - I'm glad you did.
Just Some Guy

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:00 am

Thanks for the donation. You are throwing 2 categories right out of the gate. Not a winning strategy by any stretch of the imagination.

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:06 am

Last year the overall winner didn't take a closer, Biddle, until very late. So I guess it's safe to say that he was throwing away 1 category. Maybe you can throw away 2. Probably not, but we'll see.

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:16 am

Goodluck with that!

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:40 am

Had I won era,whip, and saves last year, I still would not have gotten as many points as triple A did last year in the Pitching categories. He had monster years and unexpected years out of a number of players on the offensive side. That is why he won. I hope to do better than average in pitching and make up the necessary points in offense. With the closer model, I should do the pitching. Will the offense be enough?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:55 am

Originally posted by crazytown.gov:

Had I won era,whip, and saves last year, I still would not have gotten as many points as triple A did last year in the Pitching categories. He had monster years and unexpected years out of a number of players on the offensive side. That is why he won. I hope to do better than average in pitching and make up the necessary points in offense. With the closer model, I should do the pitching. Will the offense be enough? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

If you think modelling what Artie pulled off last year is the secret formula then I wish you luck.

If you think that every year a Johan Santana appears from middle of nowhere to be the #1 pitcher, then good luck.

If you think every year someone like Adrian Beltre pops a massive load of HR out of nowhere, then good luck.

There are always sleepers and bloomers and fine performances, but I'm going to go crazy and predict this year has ZERO players from the mid to late rounds producing top 10 numbers.

Welcome back to normal - ;)

Dave
Just Some Guy