26 Chris Young SP

27 Emilio Bonifacio CF

28 Russell Branyan DH

29 Maicer Izturis 3B

30 Jon Garland SP

Red Sox Nation-

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:06 pm

This must be a typo. I can't find Venable?

20/30 SLEEPER

Red Sox Nation-

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:39 pm

I like both Main Event teams. Many of the same players appear on a certain Diamond Team entry. Perhaps you were a co-owner on that one as well?

- overall nice job. I think the Week 1 team is stronger than 2.

bjoak

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by bjoak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm

I think it is tough to throw your second round pick out the window and not have any offense prior to a round 3 guy. I agree that you criticizing a team is different than criticizing a draft, but getting Pujols/Beltre/Stanton in the first five picks will leave you with enough offense at the end. Kinslre/Stanton/Santana maybe not quite so much.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Gekko

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Gekko » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

I think it is tough to throw your second round pick out the window and not have any offense prior to a round 3 guy. I agree that you criticizing a team is different than criticizing a draft, but getting Pujols/Beltre/Stanton in the first five picks will leave you with enough offense at the end. Kinslre/Stanton/Santana maybe not quite so much. Poodles is such an advantage, it's tough to compare just a small group of hitters. I did go 10 hitters in my first 14 picks as hitters to help make up for going Halladay.

Spyhunter

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation-:

I like both Main Event teams. Many of the same players appear on a certain Diamond Team entry. Perhaps you were a co-owner on that one as well?

- overall nice job. I think the Week 1 team is stronger than 2. I agree with RSN, like team 1 a bit better...

SlimShady

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by SlimShady » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

I think it is tough to throw your second round pick out the window and not have any offense prior to a round 3 guy. I agree that you criticizing a team is different than criticizing a draft, but getting Pujols/Beltre/Stanton in the first five picks will leave you with enough offense at the end. Kinslre/Stanton/Santana maybe not quite so much. I am hardly new to these forums, but have typically kept my comments to a minimum. I guess I say that since I realize Mark is a vet and very respected (some might say). That being said, I really think you reached for a LOT of players in this draft. More than I have seen since the infamous Kershaw/Latos draft. But, I must say, in my 20+ years of drafting, you have a lot of guts. You obviously draft with certain players in mind, and appear to get them, no matter if you have to reach for them or not, which is definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the typical Josh Hamilton/Matt Holiday/Alex Rios 1-2-3 that a certain someone drafted in NY4. Good luck Mark. You are one of a kind.

[ March 28, 2011, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: SlimShady ]
"Green Acres is the place to be"

Gekko

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Gekko » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Originally posted by SlimShady:

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

I think it is tough to throw your second round pick out the window and not have any offense prior to a round 3 guy. I agree that you criticizing a team is different than criticizing a draft, but getting Pujols/Beltre/Stanton in the first five picks will leave you with enough offense at the end. Kinslre/Stanton/Santana maybe not quite so much. I am hardly new to these forums, but have typically kept my comments to a minimum. I guess I say that since I realize Mark is a vet and very respected (some might say). That being said, I really think you reached for a LOT of players in this draft. More than I have seen since the infamous Kershaw/Latos draft. But, I must say, in my 20+ years of drafting, you have a lot of guts. You obviously draft with certain players in mind, and appear to get them, no matter if you have to reach for them or not, which is definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the typical Josh Hamilton/Matt Holiday/Alex Rios 1-2-3 that a certain someone drafted in NY4. Good luck Mark. You are one of a kind. [/QUOTE]thanks. before the draft i scripted the first half of my draft. i was fortunate enough to get the exact players i scripted for the first 10 rounds. after that, i had to deal with a few curve balls.

i had a plan and i executed it. now if the plan is flawed, i'm F'd!! :D

Spyhunter

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by SlimShady:

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

I think it is tough to throw your second round pick out the window and not have any offense prior to a round 3 guy. I agree that you criticizing a team is different than criticizing a draft, but getting Pujols/Beltre/Stanton in the first five picks will leave you with enough offense at the end. Kinslre/Stanton/Santana maybe not quite so much. I am hardly new to these forums, but have typically kept my comments to a minimum. I guess I say that since I realize Mark is a vet and very respected (some might say). That being said, I really think you reached for a LOT of players in this draft. More than I have seen since the infamous Kershaw/Latos draft. But, I must say, in my 20+ years of drafting, you have a lot of guts. You obviously draft with certain players in mind, and appear to get them, no matter if you have to reach for them or not, which is definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the typical Josh Hamilton/Matt Holiday/Alex Rios 1-2-3 that a certain someone drafted in NY4. Good luck Mark. You are one of a kind. [/QUOTE]thanks. before the draft i scripted the first half of my draft. i was fortunate enough to get the exact players i scripted for the first 10 rounds. after that, i had to deal with a few curve balls.

i had a plan and i executed it. now if the plan is flawed, i'm F'd!! :D
[/QUOTE]Ok, so i am a big fan of Gallardo, but I don't see the whip improving to qualify for 5th round imho. How did you see that changing?

Gekko

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by Gekko » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

Ok, so i am a big fan of Gallardo, but I don't see the whip improving to qualify for 5th round imho. How did you see that changing? i have halladay for whip control. ineed gallardo for k's. in any event i gallardo's whip moving into the 1.2's range (possibly lower).

rkulaski

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by rkulaski » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Each team is good, not sure 100k material :D

Thanks for posting. I'll post mine in the chicago league 1 thread tomorrow when I get the chance if you are interested in viewing. good luck this year, mark.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

rockitsauce

Gekko Team 2nd Weekend

Post by rockitsauce » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 pm

The 2nd team (aka team Halladay) seems to be lacking abit more in power than 1st team (aka team Timmy/Cliffy) - neither team has much speed and now that Nyjer is in Milwaukee could mean less time for Gomez. This is a minor quibble when you realize the power obtained on both teams despite the heavy emphasis on SP.

I was curious (considering that I also chose Halladay w/ my 1st pick) how my team compared w/ a guy as successful as Mark. Obviously his was a main event draft filled w/ cutthroat nfbc vets opposed to my cheap satellite, but as they say just for shiz n giggles.

Unlike him I underestimated how much Halladay would put me back in power. Maybe theres a reason he's been so successful ;)

I had 15th pk (which almost guarantees you'll get left out on some runs). The only guy I knew in this draft was Richard Kulaski, so I knew for sure there was at least one guy who knows what the hell he's doing in there :D I thought (and RK will vouch for me) that this draft had closers goin' earlier than I'd ever encountered (at least in a satellite).

Here goes (w/ rd drafted in parenthesis):

C - Posey (3) Yorvit (25)

1B - Prince (2) Barton (28)

2B - Beckham (8) EY jr (30)

3B - McGehee (7)

SS - Bartlett (21)

MI - Infante (19) Maicer (29)

CI - Huff (11) Branyan (26)

OF - Ellsbury (4) Ichiro (6) Manny (12) Torres (13) Fowler (14)

U - DLee (16)

SP - Doc (1) Yovani (5) Lilly (10) Myers (17) De La Rosa (18) McClellan (20) Lowe (23) Niese (24) Minor (27)

RP - Nathan (9) Gregg (15) Capps (22)

I have leverage w/ moving Huff to OF and getting Branyan in there, but still fall well short in HR. I think I could be decent there and really good in AVE/RUNS. Saves are gonna be a battle and if Gregg falters I'm probably screwed. At least I backed Nathan up w/ Capps. Incidentally, at the time I took Ichiro (1st pk of 6th rd) no closers had been taken. By the time I picked again (7-15) 9 (Marmol/Bell/Feliz/Wilson/Soria/Rivera/Pap/Brox/Thornton) were gone. I expected to miss out on the 1st 5, but they just kept on goin! Oh well McGehee & Becks should be worth it, I hope

EDIT: I should've said I hope Yovani & Ichiro are worth it since that is who I picked rather than reaching early for a closer. CC has razzed me about taking Ichiro too early in the past but I felt that 6th rd was TOO good this yr and Gallardo has to be better than ANY closer. Hell I got him AFTER Carpenter & Cain, perhaps I should've taken Liriano, but I like NL SP more than AL.

[ March 29, 2011, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: rockitsauce ]
Always be closing.