Sean Burnett

SlimShady

Sean Burnett

Post by SlimShady » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Available in a few leagues.... What did he go for in yours? - $512 in my league- $366 runner up...
"Green Acres is the place to be"

kgrady

Sean Burnett

Post by kgrady » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Crazy high prices on Sean Burnett, IMHO. I still see Drew Storen getting the bulk of the saves by the time all is said and done. And then there's still Tyler Clippard, who is a better pitcher than Burnett.
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:35 pm

madness.

burnett only got the close cos 3 lefties were due up.

storen will get most of the opportunities.

Red Sox Nation-

Sean Burnett

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Originally posted by mattjb:

madness.

storen will get most of the opportunities. Prado led off 9th and Chipper hit 3rd. Storen had a terrible spring as well.

Hells Satans

Sean Burnett

Post by Hells Satans » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:41 pm

If you think Storen is getting save chances any time soon, you're in complete denial. Burnett pitched the Top 9th in Game 1 and closed Game 2. Rigglemean said yesterday after the game that he wants to save Burnett for most 9th innings. If Burnett can run off 5 or 6 saves to start the season, this competition is over for the foreseeable future.

SlimShady

Sean Burnett

Post by SlimShady » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:42 pm

madness.

storen will get most of the opportunities. After a perfect save conversion and Drew Storen's rough spring, Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said he wants "Sean Burnett available for the ninth inning most nights."

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Originally posted by SlimShady:

quote:Originally posted by mattjb:

madness.

storen will get most of the opportunities. After a perfect save conversion and Drew Storen's rough spring, Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said he wants "Sean Burnett available for the ninth inning most nights."
[/QUOTE]I missed the quote...

I just don't think burnett is very good - i'll be amazed if he holds the job.

DOUGHBOYS

Sean Burnett

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:54 pm

[ April 03, 2011, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Sean Burnett

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 pm

quote:Originally posted by SlimShady:

madness.

[/QUOTE]2.14/ 1.14 last season in 62 IP

8.9/ 2.9 k/bb

Pitched well this Spring and this week. Other than Storen having better stuff, not sure what's not to like.

Glenneration X

Sean Burnett

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by SlimShady:

madness.

[/QUOTE]I think he's pretty good and put in a bid for him in a few places. I got him in one league for $188, runner up bid was $185. Whether he holds the job or not, we'll see, but you can say that about 75% of the closers out there.

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:09 pm

we'll see.

$500 on an unproven left handed closer after 4 days of the season and 1 save.

SlimShady

Sean Burnett

Post by SlimShady » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Originally posted by kgrady:

Crazy high prices on Sean Burnett, IMHO. I still see Drew Storen getting the bulk of the saves by the time all is said and done. And then there's still Tyler Clippard, who is a better pitcher than Burnett. I watched Tyler Clippard pitch a lot last year and I have never seen a guy come into so many games with a lead, blow the lead, then pick up a win. He has good stuff, but his numbers are a little deceiving. He can get you K's, but he is not a closer.

Winston's Empire

Sean Burnett

Post by Winston's Empire » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:04 am

I grabbed Burnett in the 47th Round of the $1000 Slow Draft and the 40th Round of a $375 Slow Draft.

I know he isn't going to be a top closer, but I will take the save considering I had Lidge go down in the $1000 and B Wilson down in the $375! :D

I bid on him in a keeper league FAAB last WED night before the season started and another guy got him for only $87. I wish I had bid more, because I have Lidge in that league too! :(
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Hells Satans

Sean Burnett

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:29 am

Originally posted by WINSTON'S EMPIRE:

I grabbed Burnett in the 47th Round of the $1000 Slow Draft and the 40th Round of a $375 Slow Draft.

I know he isn't going to be a top closer, but I will take the save considering I had Lidge go down in the $1000 and B Wilson down in the $375! :D

I bid on him in a keeper league FAAB last WED night before the season started and another guy got him for only $87. I wish I had bid more, because I have Lidge in that league too! :( I'm rooting for him. I drafted him in the 30th round of the 1st weekend ME and the Ultimate the next day. No real reason for it other than my hatred for drafting closers early and needing to hit on some lottery tickets,

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 am

NEW YORK -- The Nationals enter today's game with two victories this season, each of them games that included a save situation. And each time, manager Jim Riggleman called upon Sean Burnett to close it out.

That doesn't, however, mean the Nationals have settled upon Burnett as their closer.

Riggleman reiterated this afternoon he's still open to using either Burnett or Drew Storen in save situations, depending on the situation at hand.

"Early on here, we'll continue to look who's coming up," the manager said. "If we just had nothing but two right-handers who could hit the ball out of the ballpark, I might want Storen facing them. If it was a left-hander who could hit it out of the ballpark mixed in there, I'd probably have Burnett face them."

Burnett got the ball Thursday night in Miami with the Nationals leading the Florida Marlins 5-3 in the 11th and retired three of four batters faced to earn his second save in as many chances.

Storen, though, pitched superbly in the eighth and ninth innings, retiring all six batters he faced, striking out three. Though the game was tied at the time, Riggleman said he would have left Storen in for the ninth inning had the Nationals taken a lead.

Though they're comfortable using a closer-by-committee approach for now, the Nationals do intend to start clarifying roles at some point. Riggleman said he'd like to establish a routine where one reliever consistently pitches the seventh inning, another pitches the eighth and another pitches the ninth. That would allow the manager to avoid making double-switches so a reliever can pitch multiple innings without his spot in the lineup coming up.

"We don't want to be doing that," Riggleman said. "We want to get it to the point where if we need somebody in the seventh, we know who it is. If we need somebody in the eighth, we know who it is. And if we need somebody in the ninth, we know who it is. We're moving toward that."

WOODERSON

Sean Burnett

Post by WOODERSON » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:54 am

ugly watching the Nationals, but Storen will be "the man". just a kink finding himself at the moment

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

burnett just pitched the 8th innings and gave up 2 runs.

who's gonna pitch the 9th with a 3 run lead...

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 pm

who's gonna pitch the 9th with a 3 run lead... ha well it's a 4 run lead now.

Hells Satans

Sean Burnett

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

[/QUOTE]He came with men on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out because Ibanez was up. He got a groundball out and flyball. Chances are he was starting the 9th anyway since Gload was going to lbat in the 9 spot followed by Victorino who sucks batting RH

Edit: Actually, I have it backwards. Victorino is better batting RH.

Either way, Burnett gets the save here if he finishes the game, I think.

[ April 12, 2011, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Hells Satans ]

mattjb

Sean Burnett

Post by mattjb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:50 pm

looks like my desire for burnett to fail is no strong enough :mad:

Red Sox Nation-

Sean Burnett

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm

looks like my desire for burnett to fail is no strong enough :mad: You must be a Storen owner? Burnett snapped a 22IP scoreless streak tonight. The guy can pitch. Stop hating!

Hells Satans

Sean Burnett

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm

looks like my desire for burnett to fail is no strong enough :mad: Burnett won't pitch tomorrow, so Storen will be first in line for a save tomorrow night. I think its Lannan v. Halladay.

SlimShady

Sean Burnett

Post by SlimShady » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:56 pm

[/QUOTE]I saw your post on another thread and you mentioned you drafted Storen. I understand that you really want Burnett to fail and Storen to get his job back. Don't worry.. Storen will get his share of saves and he might even be the full time closer by the end of the year, but you need to actually watch the games before making comments... Storen came in with 1 out in the eighth, leading 6-2, in a save situation, since there were 2 runners on. He gave up a run on an out and gave up a run on a wild pitch... but the runs were not charged to him. In the 9th he actually gave up a run, which snapped his Washington record scoreless streak for any pitcher in their history. Bash him all you want, he is their closer right now.

whipsaw

Sean Burnett

Post by whipsaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:13 pm

Originally posted by SlimShady:

[/QUOTE]I saw your post on another thread and you mentioned you drafted Storen. I understand that you really want Burnett to fail and Storen to get his job back. Don't worry.. Storen will get his share of saves and he might even be the full time closer by the end of the year, but you need to actually watch the games before making comments... Storen came in with 1 out in the eighth, leading 6-2, in a save situation, since there were 2 runners on. He gave up a run on an out and gave up a run on a wild pitch... but the runs were not charged to him. In the 9th he actually gave up a run, which snapped his Washington record scoreless streak for any pitcher in their history. Bash him all you want, he is their closer right now.
[/QUOTE]The bases were loaded according to the boxscores, but like you said, you need to watch the games.

Winston's Empire

Sean Burnett

Post by Winston's Empire » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Originally posted by Hells Satans:

looks like my desire for burnett to fail is no strong enough :mad: Burnett won't pitch tomorrow, so Storen will be first in line for a save tomorrow night. I think its Lannan v. Halladay.

[/QUOTE]Since I have Burnett in 2 Slow Draft leagues, I found this comment to be both AWESOME & FUNNY! When Lidge went down in my $1000 Slow, I freaked out and started scouring my 50 players to find a little 47th round love in Burnett ;)
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987