NFBC Changes For 2006

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:13 am

First of all, I'd personally like to thank everyone who participated in the 2005 NFBC. The event has grown more in our second year than I ever had imagined as we filled all 300 main event spots, filled 10 auction leagues and added NFBC Ultimate Auction and Draft Leagues at $5,000 per person. We went from 16 total leagues in 2004 to 32 total leagues in 2005. We expect continued growth in 2006, although not at the same percentage of growth.

Through three days of events in Las Vegas, New York and Chicago, we learned a lot about our rules and procedures. Some of them we learned the hard way, but the key is that we learned. We don't need a complete overhaul of the system or the rules, but we do need to tweak some things. Going forward here are some of the changes I plan to implement in 2006:

1) A return to 40-man rosters. I chose to eliminate this in 2005 because there was so much confusion over whether guys like B.J. Upton were actually on 40-man rosters or not last year, but I didn't enjoy seeing Class A pitchers being drafted this year with the hope of not getting any IP from them. It has also been a nightmare to enter some of these rosters since none of the lower minor-leaguers are in STATS' database. We will provide 40-man rosters to each NFBC member next year and stick to them on Draft Day.

2) A Minimum Innings Pitched Rule: I have no problem with people using different strategies on Draft Day, so don't look into this one too much. My minimum IP could be 1 next year or 100 or 250 or 500. It definitely won't be a traditional 900 or 950, that I'm sure of. I want to allow everyone the right to try unique strategies in this contest, but I also don't want to see rosters filled with eight Class A pitchers. Right now you just need 1/3 of an inning to qualify for the pitching categories and I want to modify that slightly in 2006. I'll determine the minimum IP total for 2006 by October.

3) Guest Speakers: I've enjoyed providing guest speakers at our Welcome Receptions these past two years, but it might make more sense to use that expense in another way starting in 2006. Maybe we provide some food (cookies and munchies) during the main event rather than a guest speaker. A little more to bite on, wouldn't you say?

4) Electricity: I had stated several times that electricity was NOT being provided in all three cities and I did not expect any of the outlets in Las Vegas to have power. We dealt with this on an individual league basis on Friday in Las Vegas, but on Saturday I was so busy getting the facilitators up to speed and getting all of the leagues in order that I didn't notice people pulling up floor tiles to hook up to plugs. I apologize for that.

The reason we don't allow electricity is two-fold: 1) The expense for power strips and power would exceed $1,000 per city; and 2) operationally it could be disastrous as people are hooked into power strips that could get unplugged or tampered with. By not allowing any electricity on-site, everyone is on their own to manage their drafts.

Now, that being said it's obvious that we are in the 21st century and people want to use their laptops on Draft Day. We're not going to eliminate technology and force people NOT to use laptops or cell phones. We just have to manage them better and I thought we handled the cell phones well this year. Going forward, we will price out what it costs to have power available and charge $50-$75 per person who wants it. If you think the cost is too high, then bring extra batteries. If you want it, we'll try to make it available at a price that covers our expenses. We are looking into that option now and will have an answer for you about it by season's end.

5) Ultimate Leagues: We will definitely plan for the Ultimate Leagues on Sunday, March 19, 2006 as there is an audience for this type of event. My goal is to have the Ultimate Auction League JUST in Las Vegas, but I'll deal with that later. The teleconference auction worked out, but it sure is a lot easier without the phone hookup. We can definitely do a multi-city Ultimate Draft League and hope to fill two of those leagues next year.

6) Increased League Payouts: As we expand in 2006, my first order of business will be to increase league winnings to $2,500 for second place and $1,000 for third place, leaving $5,000 for first place. I will then increase second through 10th overall prize money. I will announce expected payouts once I decide how many teams we will shoot for in 2006. Right now 375 looks like a good number, depending on whether we expand to more cities in 2006 or not.

7) A 4th City?: If we expand in 2006, it will be to Tampa. I have two great locations I can work with there. But if we do expand to Tampa, we may offer just the Saturday main event there. Trying to fill up auction leagues there on Friday would be too difficult and my goal is to eliminate or minimize the number of teleconference auction leagues we do in 2006. But I like the potential of getting 60-75 more teams in Tampa next year and working some spring training games into the weekend experience.

In an ideal world, we'd have:

1) Projectors and laptops at each draft instead of stickers, but right now it's just not feasible. I'm not even sure visibly it would work. But we'll keep working on this and make the process better.

2) More space at each draft. I understand the noise concern, but I think we did some good things in Las Vegas to eliminate that. We turned the U's in different directions and added a little more space, which seemed to help a bit. We'll continue to use partitions when we can for the auctions, but for the main event there is something special about all of those leagues being open and visible to everyone. We just need to space out the leagues more each year and turn the U's in different directions if possible and then tell the facilitators not to SHOUT out every pick for the whole room to hear.

3) No traffic in Las Vegas: In an ideal world, nobody would be at our hotel in Las Vegas and we could gamble on college games without so many young, vibrant gamblers all around us. But there is something special about hosting this during the first weekend of March Madness and honestly the two weeks before Opening Day is ideal for us to host the drafts and get all of the leagues entered and processed. Some people may not like it, but we'll definitely host the NFBC during the third weekend of March again in 2006.

I don't have the hotels booked for 2006 yet, but the NFBC will definitely be held March 17, 18 and 19, 2006 in Las Vegas, New York and Chicago. And possibly Tampa. I'll post more details here as I finalize them and I'd be interested in your feedback on these points and on the host hotels. We are always trying to improve this event, and while I know that the weekend wasn't PERFECT, I do feel that our staff did an outstanding job and that the drafts and auctions went off well. Now we're working hard to get the lineups entered perfectly and your first week of FAAB off without a hitch.

Thanks again everyone and good luck in the hunt for the $100,000 grand prize. We look forward to following the league and overall races and awarding the prize money the day after the 2005 regular season is completed. Again, THANK YOU!
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

bjoak

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by bjoak » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:45 am

Well, I know a thousand people will have comments about this stuff, but it all makes sense to me.

The one comment I'll make is that I don't think about the prizes for second and third place in each league. Even if I win my league, I'll be more excited about the bragging rites than the $5000. The real reason to shell out the money for the event though (besides that it's fun) is the chance at winning overall and taking the 100 grand.

It makes sense to me that as the NFBC becomes more popular, it must expand, but as the 100 grand becomes less attainable, it should be all the more important to attain, i.e. it should be worth more money. Knowing I'd get a little more for second or third place won't make any difference in my decision to go to NFBC in 2006.

I understand the reasons for wanting to change these amounts, but I hope you'll give the members and potential members a chance to voice their opinion to see what people really want.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Joe Sambito

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Joe Sambito » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:59 am

I couldn't disagree more with bjoak. As the NFBC expands to 375 teams and beyond I feel it is more important to pump up the league prizes. Some may consider this a defeatus-attitude, but it is your league members who you battled wits drafting against, your league members that you battled over free-agents with, it is your league members who are affected directly by your decisions and you by theirs. So the 100 grand is the ultimate goal, but there is nothing I can do about Mark Teixeira lasting to the 3rd round in Chicago League 8, but I can affect my league. Hence 5000-2500-1000, would be a excellent step for the NFBC to take. This opinion may be in the minority of those who post, but is may be the majority of the masses.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Evil Empire

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Evil Empire » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:09 am

I like the idea of increasing league prizes too. It will keep people coming back. A chance to win decent money with the hope of hitting it big. I would trade Ed Kranepool for a 150 ft Italian / American hero any day of the week! ;)

Ken

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Ken » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:14 am

First off as one of the ones who used the 8 minor leaguers approach I have absolutely no problem with your suggested rule changes and actually prefer them. I saw a loophole in the rules and decided to exploit it. It may very well blow up in my face as I didn't follow it up with prudent offensive bidding as I got caught running up the bids on a couple players. If nothing else I did close the loopholes

I have a couple suggestions as far as location next year. The Excalibur Hotel is about the cheapest of the centrally located strip hotels. It has a monorail to the Luxor and Mandalay Bay hotels and is next door to the MGM where you can catch a monorail to all other strip hotels. It's also next door to NYNY hotel and the ESPN Sportzone where a post draft party in the game room would be fun. I really prefer a strip hotel as opposed to an off strip hotel just because it offers more options for shows, gaming, restaurants, and getting around.

As for Tampa I would prefer something close to the airport or Clearwater Beach. The airport is on the Gulf side of Tampa. Do you have the hotel names you are negotiating with?

All in all though it was a first class operation again this year and I look forward to being the first to sign up again next year. :D

[ March 28, 2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

JerseyPaul

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:15 am

I agree with Joe.

As for the IP minimum, I think 250 will allow all reasonable strategies yet require pitchers other than closers.

sportsbettingman

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:23 am

Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

I couldn't disagree more with bjoak. As the NFBC expands to 375 teams and beyond I feel it is more important to pump up the league prizes. Some may consider this a defeatus-attitude, but it is your league members who you battled wits drafting against, your league members that you battled over free-agents with, it is your league members who are affected directly by your decisions and you by theirs. So the 100 grand is the ultimate goal, but there is nothing I can do about Mark Teixeira lasting to the 3rd round in Chicago League 8, but I can affect my league. Hence 5000-2500-1000, would be a excellent step for the NFBC to take. This opinion may be in the minority of those who post, but is may be the majority of the masses. I agree Joe,

...and it's not a defeatist attitude at all...it's smart money. If I can play...come in second or third, and that will eat up most of my investment, or even a little profit...I'm a lifer...as well as many others.

The overall prize is the fish hook to get you into the league...but the league prize is what you battle for, and see how you do compared to other top teams. The overall is out of your control...like you mentioned...you may have been put in the toughest league...or the weakest...not in your control.

One team in 300 will it all...but 1 in 15 will have had a great time, made money, and have some bragging rights for the following year.

I like the 5000, 2500, 1000 split.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Evil Empire

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Evil Empire » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:51 am

How about 3rd gets their money back. That would be ideal.

Dyv

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:58 am

Greg, would you consider having an 'exception' list to the 40 man rosters? I would think there could easily be a running post (just like with player eligibility) where you can have a printout saying '40 man rosters plus these exceptoins' and have people submit names to you to be on the exception list.

Just my opinion, but to have had a draft and not allow BJ Upton to be picked would be stupid and harm the draft process. I would rather allow single A pitchers than to limit the use of viable players.

Would you consider an exception list?

Dave
Just Some Guy

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:43 am

Originally posted by Ken:

I have a couple suggestions as far as location next year. The Excalibur Hotel is about the cheapest of the centrally located strip hotels. It has a monorail to the Luxor and Mandalay Bay hotels and is next door to the MGM where you can catch a monorail to all other strip hotels. It's also next door to NYNY hotel and the ESPN Sportzone where a post draft party in the game room would be fun. I really prefer a strip hotel as opposed to an off strip hotel just because it offers more options for shows, gaming, restaurants, and getting around.

As for Tampa I would prefer something close to the airport or Clearwater Beach. The airport is on the Gulf side of Tampa. Do you have the hotel names you are negotiating with?

All in all though it was a first class operation again this year and I look forward to being the first to sign up again next year. :D We are at the Excalibur for our National Fantasy Football Championship in September, but unfortunately they are sold out next March. In fact, most Vegas hotels have no convention space available for March 14-19, 2006. I'm on the phone with every hotel right now and hope to get lucky somewhere soon. I'll let you know when I finalize things, but it's tough.

The two Hyatts in Tampa are very appealing right now. One is downtown Tampa and the other is near the airport. I'm talking with both today.

I look forward to accepting that first signup for 2006. The signup page will be available the day we send out 2005 winnings, which is the first day after the 2005 season!!!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:45 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

Greg, would you consider having an 'exception' list to the 40 man rosters? I would think there could easily be a running post (just like with player eligibility) where you can have a printout saying '40 man rosters plus these exceptoins' and have people submit names to you to be on the exception list.

Just my opinion, but to have had a draft and not allow BJ Upton to be picked would be stupid and harm the draft process. I would rather allow single A pitchers than to limit the use of viable players.

Dave Absolutely. Like I said, we'll provide that list to everyone and if a top prospect isn't "officially" on the 40-man roster, we may allow him to be available in the NFBC draft. I'll work out these details and make sure everyone has this list, but it will be clear cut and everyone will know who's available. It won't include Class A pitchers who have no chance of making the majors, I promise you that.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Evil Empire

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Evil Empire » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:48 am

Dave

The NFBC is not a keeper league.

Nevadaman

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Nevadaman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:51 am

I'm fine with everything Greg said. I especially like charging the laptop users! Seems fair that those who actually raise the expenses of the NFBC should be the ones who share the bill. I agree that a food spread before/during the draft is preferable to speakers. I'm sure those on the receiving end of Dan Pasqua's less than uplifting "I don't care about baseball anymore" speech will not disagree!!

Chest Rockwell

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:57 am

Anyone who collects memorobilia and heading to Tampa IF the event is there next year. 1) Stay at the Radisson by the airport it is the Yanks team hotel and while no current players stay there you will just have to settle for Reggie, Donnie baseball, Yogi, Whitey Ford and a few others.

There is also a Yankees team lunch sponsored by the Boys and girls club of tamp that goes for about 300 a ticket. And you will meet and get any autograph of any Yankee there. Tickets go on sale in early January and sell out the first day.

If I can help anyone on this let me know.

Also bring a few extra hundreds for Mons Venus.

Diesel

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Diesel » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:14 am

Greg, food would definitely be better than the guest speakers. In NY, the way the tables were set up, 3 tables couldn't even see Ed Kranepool when he gave his speech...One other option is to just have a celebrity play in the NFFC or NFBC...I would rather play against a celebrity than listen to a speech...

bowlingfool

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by bowlingfool » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:48 am

Originally posted by GCA73:

How about 3rd gets their money back. That would be ideal. Gotta agree with GCA on this one. I've mentioned this contest to friends of mine who play fantasy sports and the one thing they always mention is that they don't like the idea that if you actually manage to cash in your league, there's a chance you WON'T win enough for 3rd to cover your entry fee. If you make the minimum cashing spot equal or greater to the entry fee, it'll probably help sell this contest to a lot of those who are hesitant to play.

With most other contests I've participated in (i.e. fantasy sports, poker, bowling, etc..), the lowest payout spot is at least equal to the entry fee.

Just my two cents....

Dyv

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:07 am

quote: Greg, would you consider having an 'exception' list to the 40 man rosters? I would think there could easily be a running post (just like with player eligibility) where you can have a printout saying '40 man rosters plus these exceptoins' and have people submit names to you to be on the exception list.

Dave

The NFBC is not a keeper league. [/QUOTE]Sure it is - morons like you donate their money and smart managers get to keep it.

I'm truly sorry (mostly for your family) that you don't understand the value of examining younger players that may not be on 40 man rosters.

Here's to those prunes working for you so you can relax a bit and enjoy life soon

Dyv
Just Some Guy

la Jolla

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by la Jolla » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:18 pm

hey greg, i just wanted to drop a quick note to both congratulate and thank you. you, tom, rocky and the rest of the staff have done a terrific job in a short amount of time in growing this contest. there will always be unexpected or problematic events that occur irregardless of preparation in running any contest of this sort. i had an absolute blast draft weekend, i really like the hilton in new york over the javits, that was a nice upgrade in atmosphere.

as for next year, the only request i would have, is that i, as the consumer, have the opportunity to play in all the leagues that are open for play. i would have liked to play the ultimate auction as well as the draft, but they were done simultaneously. doing a morning/evening line-up on the auctions and the ultimates would be something i would like to see happen. thanks again for some great contests. christopher f.

King of Queens

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:

quote:Originally posted by GCA73:

quote: Greg, would you consider having an 'exception' list to the 40 man rosters? I would think there could easily be a running post (just like with player eligibility) where you can have a printout saying '40 man rosters plus these exceptoins' and have people submit names to you to be on the exception list.

Dave

The NFBC is not a keeper league. [/QUOTE]Sure it is - morons like you donate their money and smart managers get to keep it.

I'm truly sorry (mostly for your family) that you don't understand the value of examining younger players that may not be on 40 man rosters.

Here's to those prunes working for you so you can relax a bit and enjoy life soon

Dyv
[/QUOTE]Ouch! That was pretty harsh.

King of Queens

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:24 pm

Originally posted by lajolla:

as for next year, the only request i would have, is that i, as the consumer, have the opportunity to play in all the leagues that are open for play. i would have liked to play the ultimate auction as well as the draft, but they were done simultaneously. doing a morning/evening line-up on the auctions and the ultimates would be something i would like to see happen. thanks again for some great contests. christopher f. Holy crap, Chris! You want MORE fantasy baseball?!? :D

You, me, Pete (Top Dawg) and Eddie G/Bad Shad were the only ones there all three days in New York. Rocky was probably ready to call the police on us after all that loitering.

Nice meeting you, BTW...

Evil Empire

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Evil Empire » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:35 pm

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave

Hey Dyv you stupid moron. These are not my words.

Tom Kessenich

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:39 pm

Hey guys, let's cool it on the insults, ok? Thanks.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:41 pm

I wonder who is going to be the first to say, "But Tom, HE started it!"

Dyv

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:56 pm

Well, I am a stupid moron so I didn't feel insulted at all.

I was just guessing that he was constipated based on his posts.

Sorry ;)

Dyv
Just Some Guy

King of Queens

NFBC Changes For 2006

Post by King of Queens » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:09 pm

Yeah, but, um, Dyv -- this isn't a keeper league.

LOL!!