Matt Harrison

Less than Dave

Matt Harrison

Post by Less than Dave » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I feel like I missed the boat here... what's with everyone bidding ridiculous amounts of money on this guy (and they're respectable players too, not newbies overbidding)? I get that he's had a great first 2 starts, but he was terrible last year, and no one was interested in drafting him... I've never seen him pitch, is he really THAT good? At least the stuff I've read on Esmil makes some sense as to why people bid so high on him but what's with Harrison?

SlimShady

Matt Harrison

Post by SlimShady » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Originally posted by Less than Dave:

I feel like I missed the boat here... what's with everyone bidding ridiculous amounts of money on this guy (and they're respectable players too, not newbies overbidding)? I get that he's had a great first 2 starts, but he was terrible last year, and no one was interested in drafting him... I've never seen him pitch, is he really THAT good? At least the stuff I've read on Esmil makes some sense as to why people bid so high on him but what's with Harrison? Doesn't throw hard, will not get you a lot of Ks. But, he plays on a very good team with a powerful offense. Tommy Hunter got a lot of wins last year, in the same situation. Considering what is available in free agency, it is not a bad pickup. Not a $200 pickup, but definitely worth $50-80.
"Green Acres is the place to be"

rkulaski

Matt Harrison

Post by rkulaski » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:30 pm

I bid $30 on him last week. I read that he actually threw as high as 97 mph in his first start against the Red Sox and was changing speeds well. There was some other stuff about him that had me buying last week too.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Hells Satans

Matt Harrison

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 am

He's always thrown hard. Fangraphs has his actual FB speed at 93 up from 92.2 last year. It's possible he reached 97 in a pitch or two. You could do worse for a flyer.

Ryan C

Matt Harrison

Post by Ryan C » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 am

I bid $77 on Harrison in my DP league and I think he was a nice consolation prize if you missed out on Britton. He may be even better in the longterm with lots of Seattle and Oakland matchups on the horizon.

But yeah - fangraphs had this little tidbit on him on Friday fangraphs. He seemed like a worthy flier and a lot cheaper than Britton.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

rkulaski

Matt Harrison

Post by rkulaski » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Yes, it's nice to have some starts potentially lined up against the Mariners and A's... And let's not forget the Angels who are three outs away from being shutout from ace Mitch Talbot.

Big test this weekend for Harrison against the Yankees.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Ryan C

Matt Harrison

Post by Ryan C » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Round one to Harrison ;)
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

rkulaski

Matt Harrison

Post by rkulaski » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:31 pm

Originally posted by Ryan C:

Round one to Harrison ;) Yes indeed !!
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Ryan C

Matt Harrison

Post by Ryan C » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 am

Watched most of this game and while Harrison was not dominating, he mixed his pitches well and induced a lot of ground balls which led to 6 double plays :eek: . He was very economical with his pitches as well.

[ April 16, 2011, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Ryan C ]
Mastersball

rkulaski

Matt Harrison

Post by rkulaski » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I didn't realize last night that the Rangers had 6 double plays. A little more about that:

"The 25-year-old left-hander held the vaunted Yankees lineup to two runs (one earned) in a 5-3 victory in the first game of a three-game series. He did it thanks to a steady diet of sinkers that led to plenty of ground balls and a record-tying six double plays. Yes, six. He becomes just the third pitcher since 1954 to induce six ground ball double plays in a game, joining Mark Buehrle (Aug. 7, 2009) and Kansas City's Dick Drago (May 6, 1972).
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Ryan C

Matt Harrison

Post by Ryan C » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Wow - they said it was a Yankee record, but didn't note that it was also an MLB record.
Mastersball

Hells Satans

Matt Harrison

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:18 pm

not so good tonight

single

single

BB

BB

BB

BB

bjoak

Matt Harrison

Post by bjoak » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Corrections are fun!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Dirt Dogs

Matt Harrison

Post by Dirt Dogs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:31 pm

add Hochevar & Masterson to the finally corrected list.
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

rkulaski

Matt Harrison

Post by rkulaski » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

Corrections are fun! Oh no they're not! Call me crazy but I'll go on record as saying Harrison ends up with a respectable year... 4.10 ERA, .1.32 WHIP, 13 wins. I might eat that last sentence but wouldn't it wouldn't be the first time (nor the last).
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Hells Satans

Matt Harrison

Post by Hells Satans » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Add Harang, although Black deserves most of the blame for leaving him out there to die in the 6th inning when he clearly had lost his slot and had no idea where the ball was going

BEF

Matt Harrison

Post by BEF » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I was at that Yankee game (took my son for his 11th birthday) when they set the record for GIDP's, and Harrison was constantly around the plate and did a nice job of mixing things up. Yanks were constantly chopping at the ball, resulting in all of those grounders. He also fielded his position quite well, starting one of the DP's himself with a nice play. I don't know if he'll enjoy a breakout year, but on that team I can definitely see him winning at least 12 games with a respectable ERA and somewhat highish WHIP (some of those grounders will find their way into the outfield eventually). It was a nice effort, and it was fun to attend a record-setting game in person (even if we were wearing four layers plus a blanket...man, it was cold out there).
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw