RIP Nick Charles

Chest Rockwell

RIP Nick Charles

Post by Chest Rockwell » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:18 am

Had the pleasure of him living next door to my family for about 7 years. One of the nicest people you will ever meet and he loved sports.

Big loss for his family, the city of Atlanta, and all people who love sports.

Money

RIP Nick Charles

Post by Money » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Had the pleasure of him living next door to my family for about 7 years. One of the nicest people you will ever meet and he loved sports.

Big loss for his family, the city of Atlanta, and all people who love sports. Great Broadcaster, what a shame. I always enjoyed his shows.
Joe

DOUGHBOYS

RIP Nick Charles

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 am

A damned shame that we are losing the pioneering national cable guys from CNN/TBS.

Charles was a great one.

He'll be missed.

[ June 25, 2011, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

RIP Nick Charles

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:17 am

My wife worked with him for many years at CNN. Her favorite sportscaster. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times. A really pleasant guy.

He leaves behind a great family and will be missed.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Ando

RIP Nick Charles

Post by Ando » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Nick and Fred Hickman ruled the national 11est sports highlight time slot before ESPN became the conglomerate that they are. They were an incredible duo while they peaked during my high school years from '88-'91. I watched them almost every weekday night. They set the standard for that type of weeknight sports highlights.

I read an article about two months ago on cnn.com about Nick's battle with bladder cancer. I almost cried. He was 64 and had a young child (7yr old maybe?) with his present wife. I was so moved I asked my wife to read to it. Great read if you can find it. (I have a daugher who turned 1 on Wednesday, so it touched home.)

Cheers to Nick.....great reminder to this predominant young to middle to older aged audience of men to get screeened for prostate and bladder and any and all types of cancer early. Early is key, boys.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey