NFBC Champion Profile - Lindy Hinkelman

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:47 am

What do you call someone who has done the seemingly impossible in fantasy baseball twice?

Lindy Hinkelman.

Two years ago, Hinkelman delivered one of the greatest seasons in fantasy sports history, winning two national events in the National Fantasy Baseball Championship. The Idaho pig farmer won the Main Event among 390 teams with a dominating performance to win $105,000. Hinkelman also won the debut NFBC Online Championship against 400-plus teams to cash an additional $41,300.

Not only that, but the NFBC created a bonus that year of $75,000 for winning both national titles, so Hinkleman collected that prize as well. He also finished second in the Ultimate League for another $15,000. When the season was in the books he had accumulated $241,300 in earnings.

Two years later, Hinkelman was at it again.

Hinkelman made history for a second time this year, becoming the first person in fantasy sports history to win a second Main Event championship as he took home the title in the NFBC. He captured the $100,000 grand prize by the slimmest of margins, edging KJ Duke by a mere 2.5 points.

“I felt very relieved when the season ended,” the 59-year-old Hinkelman said. “I knew that I could win it; I just didn’t know if I would. I was scared to look at the standings the morning after the final game.”

Apprehension quickly turned to excitement when Hinkelman saw his name still atop the overall standings the day after the regular season came to a close. An incredible accomplishment, made even more special because it was the second time Hinkelman had proven to be the NFBC’s best team.

“This (Main Event title) was a bit different because it was so close,” Hinkelman said. “I would say that there was more satisfaction this year because nobody had won the Main Event twice. It is starting to sink in (what I’ve accomplished), although just winning it this year was my main focus.”

As is so often the case, the race for the $100,000 grand prize created plenty of anxious moments as the season drew to a close.

“The last three days were very agonizing,” Hinkelman said. “Tuesday (of the final week) was especially difficult. I had Alfredo Aceves active and he was in line for the win. The Red Sox had an 8-4 lead going into the eighth inning and Josh Bard gave up two runs and Jonathan Papelbon came in for the save in the ninth. He gave up a run and the tying run was on second with two outs. Adam Jones came up and that one at-bat seemed like it took an hour to complete. I think on the 11th pitch Jones finally grounded to third to end the game.

“Then I had to endure Francisco Cordero’s save chance. He walked the first guy who was promptly thrown out on a busted hit-and-run. He then walked the next three batters. Justin Turner was up next and he hit a line driver screamer to Brandon Phillips, who stepped on second to end the game. I’ll never forget those two endings.

“Everything was so close between KJ and myself. I got two steals on the last day. If I get just one, KJ wins. Two more RBIs for KJ or two fewer runs for me and KJ wins. One save or win the either way changes the outcome.”

Not only did Hinkelman win the Main Event, he also finished second in the Auction Championship. From a pure numbers perspective, his 2011 season was nothing short of superb. Consider:

*He competed in seven NFBC leagues and won four league titles. He finished third, fifth and ninth in the others.

*He won Las Vegas League 4 with 138 of 150 league points.

*He won Las Vegas March 25th Auction League with 120.5 points and finished second overall in the Auction Championship.

*He tied for 1st place in the March 25th 4 pm Live Double Play with 82 points and finished 53rd overall.

*He won the March 8th Online Double Play with 85 points and finished 168th overall in that event.

*He finished third in the March 27th Live Double Play with 76.5 points, fifth in the Ultimate Auction League with 85.5 points and ninth in the $150 Slow Draft League 13 with 74 points.

When the dust had settled, Hinkelman cashed a cool $116,775 in NFBC prize winnings this year. That enabled him to remain the event’s all-time career money leader with earnings of $360,075. In his NFBC career, Hinkelman has now won two Main Event league titles, two Main Event overall titles, an Auction League title, a Live Double Play title (12-team format), three second place finishes in the Ultimate Auction League, and a second and a third place finish in the $1,250 NL Auction League.

Those impressive career accomplishments were also enough to place Hinkelman in the NFBC’s Hall of Fame, joining Stephen Jupinka and Shawn Childs, who were inducted earlier this year. Hinkelman will be inducted next March in Las Vegas.

Hinkelman’s Main Event team was sparked by a trio of outstanding players. Drafting from the 14th spot in his Las Vegas league, Hinkelman targeted Matt Kemp, Justin Verlander and Curtis Granderson. He landed all of them and all three produced sensational results.

“I had my first six picks mapped out,” he said. “I wanted 100 home runs and 100 stolen bases and two aces. Even with my second-round pick of David Wright having an injury plagued year I ended up with 117 home runs and 114 stolen bases between Kemp, Wright, B.J. Upton and Granderson. Verlander and Zack Greinke led my pitching staff.

“My approach in the draft this year was similar (to 2009). I’m seeing that elite starting pitchers are going earlier and closers are going later. I have emphasized power and speed guys in the two years that I have won the overall title.”

Other key picks Hinkelman made on Draft Day were Ricky Romero (10th round), Chipper Jones (15th), Asdrubal Cabrera (17th), Anibal Sanchez (20th), Yadier Molina (21st) and Kyle Farnsworth (24th). Ryan Roberts and Casey Kotchman were his two biggest free-agent acquisitions during the season.

“Other than that, I used FAAB just to fill holes while my regulars were banged up,” he said. “I had enough money left to acquire the likes of Chen-Ming Wang (who had two huge wins and great ratios) and Allen Craig (who hit .321-3-8 with eight runs) among others to help me down the stretch.”

So what does the man who won $100,000 once do with a second $100,000 grand prize?

“Well I don’t need another tractor and I bought a really nice livestock trailer last year, so I think we’ll do some remodeling in our house,” he said. “Maybe I’ll buy a prized boar for my sows.”

And, of course, begin his prep work for the 2012 NFBC as he attempts to defend his Main Event title and, just perhaps, do the impossible for a third time. When it comes to amazing fantasy baseball accomplishments, Lindy Hinkelman as proven that the only thing better than one season for the ages is a second.

Or quite possibly a third.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:37 am

Great Read and congrats again to Lindy!

All I and I am guessing a few others have going through their heads right now is...

First 6 Rounds 100 HR, 100 SB, & 2 Aces! First 6 Rounds 100 HR, 100 SB, & 2 Aces! First 6 Rounds 100 HR, 100 SB, & 2 Aces! First 6 Rounds 100 HR, 100 SB, & 2 Aces! ;)
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

What do you call someone who has done the seemingly impossible in fantasy baseball twice?

Lindy Hinkelman.

Two years ago, Hinkelman delivered one of the greatest seasons in fantasy sports history, winning two national events in the National Fantasy Baseball Championship. The Idaho pig farmer won the Main Event among 390 teams with a dominating performance to win $105,000. Hinkelman also won the debut NFBC Online Championship against 400-plus teams to cash an additional $41,300.

Not only that, but the NFBC created a bonus that year of $75,000 for winning both national titles, so Hinkleman collected that prize as well. He also finished second in the Ultimate League for another $15,000. When the season was in the books he had accumulated $241,300 in earnings.

Two years later, Hinkelman was at it again.

Hinkelman made history for a second time this year, becoming the first person in fantasy sports history to win a second Main Event championship as he took home the title in the NFBC. He captured the $100,000 grand prize by the slimmest of margins, edging KJ Duke by a mere 2.5 points.

“I felt very relieved when the season ended,” the 59-year-old Hinkelman said. “I knew that I could win it; I just didn’t know if I would. I was scared to look at the standings the morning after the final game.”

Apprehension quickly turned to excitement when Hinkelman saw his name still atop the overall standings the day after the regular season came to a close. An incredible accomplishment, made even more special because it was the second time Hinkelman had proven to be the NFBC’s best team.

“This (Main Event title) was a bit different because it was so close,” Hinkelman said. “I would say that there was more satisfaction this year because nobody had won the Main Event twice. It is starting to sink in (what I’ve accomplished), although just winning it this year was my main focus.”

As is so often the case, the race for the $100,000 grand prize created plenty of anxious moments as the season drew to a close.

“The last three days were very agonizing,” Hinkelman said. “Tuesday (of the final week) was especially difficult. I had Alfredo Aceves active and he was in line for the win. The Red Sox had an 8-4 lead going into the eighth inning and Josh Bard gave up two runs and Jonathan Papelbon came in for the save in the ninth. He gave up a run and the tying run was on second with two outs. Adam Jones came up and that one at-bat seemed like it took an hour to complete. I think on the 11th pitch Jones finally grounded to third to end the game.

“Then I had to endure Francisco Cordero’s save chance. He walked the first guy who was promptly thrown out on a busted hit-and-run. He then walked the next three batters. Justin Turner was up next and he hit a line driver screamer to Brandon Phillips, who stepped on second to end the game. I’ll never forget those two endings.

“Everything was so close between KJ and myself. I got two steals on the last day. If I get just one, KJ wins. Two more RBIs for KJ or two fewer runs for me and KJ wins. One save or win the either way changes the outcome.”

Not only did Hinkelman win the Main Event, he also finished second in the Auction Championship. From a pure numbers perspective, his 2011 season was nothing short of superb. Consider:

*He competed in seven NFBC leagues and won four league titles. He finished third, fifth and ninth in the others.

*He won Las Vegas League 4 with 138 of 150 league points.

*He won Las Vegas March 25th Auction League with 120.5 points and finished second overall in the Auction Championship.

*He tied for 1st place in the March 25th 4 pm Live Double Play with 82 points and finished 53rd overall.

*He won the March 8th Online Double Play with 85 points and finished 168th overall in that event.

*He finished third in the March 27th Live Double Play with 76.5 points, fifth in the Ultimate Auction League with 85.5 points and ninth in the $150 Slow Draft League 13 with 74 points.

When the dust had settled, Hinkelman cashed a cool $116,775 in NFBC prize winnings this year. That enabled him to remain the event’s all-time career money leader with earnings of $360,075. In his NFBC career, Hinkelman has now won two Main Event league titles, two Main Event overall titles, an Auction League title, a Live Double Play title (12-team format), three second place finishes in the Ultimate Auction League, and a second and a third place finish in the $1,250 NL Auction League.

Those impressive career accomplishments were also enough to place Hinkelman in the NFBC’s Hall of Fame, joining Stephen Jupinka and Shawn Childs, who were inducted earlier this year. Hinkelman will be inducted next March in Las Vegas.

Hinkelman’s Main Event team was sparked by a trio of outstanding players. Drafting from the 14th spot in his Las Vegas league, Hinkelman targeted Matt Kemp, Justin Verlander and Curtis Granderson. He landed all of them and all three produced sensational results.

“I had my first six picks mapped out,” he said. “I wanted 100 home runs and 100 stolen bases and two aces. Even with my second-round pick of David Wright having an injury plagued year I ended up with 117 home runs and 114 stolen bases between Kemp, Wright, B.J. Upton and Granderson. Verlander and Zack Greinke led my pitching staff.

“My approach in the draft this year was similar (to 2009). I’m seeing that elite starting pitchers are going earlier and closers are going later. I have emphasized power and speed guys in the two years that I have won the overall title.”

Other key picks Hinkelman made on Draft Day were Ricky Romero (10th round), Chipper Jones (15th), Asdrubal Cabrera (17th), Anibal Sanchez (20th), Yadier Molina (21st) and Kyle Farnsworth (24th). Ryan Roberts and Casey Kotchman were his two biggest free-agent acquisitions during the season.

“Other than that, I used FAAB just to fill holes while my regulars were banged up,” he said. “I had enough money left to acquire the likes of Chen-Ming Wang (who had two huge wins and great ratios) and Allen Craig (who hit .321-3-8 with eight runs) among others to help me down the stretch.”

So what does the man who won $100,000 once do with a second $100,000 grand prize?

“Well I don’t need another tractor and I bought a really nice livestock trailer last year, so I think we’ll do some remodeling in our house,” he said. “Maybe I’ll buy a prized boar for my sows.”

And, of course, begin his prep work for the 2012 NFBC as he attempts to defend his Main Event title and, just perhaps, do the impossible for a third time. When it comes to amazing fantasy baseball accomplishments, Lindy Hinkelman as proven that the only thing better than one season for the ages is a second.

Or quite possibly a third. All I could think of when I read this is now I know where the expression, "Like Pigs in **** " comes from. Makes perfect sense! :D :D :D Congrats again on an amazing season, Lindy. One for the ages, and something to aspire to now that the bar has again be re-set even higher. Maybe I should go out and purchase some livestock (perhaps some radioactive cows like they have here in Jersey)...maybe that'll help :rolleyes: ;)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 am

Lucky sombitch!......Again!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Couldnt happen to a nicer guy. Congrats!

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey Champ, you've come such a long way since I had the pleasure of meeting you in the Summer on 2001 on a hot Summer's day for a double dip at the Vet. Took us both a draft or two or three to CATCH the hang of these game, didn't see anybody named ECKSTEIN on that Championship roster? You have managed to pull off a new Double Header of sorts and have managed it with the same class and dignity you carried the night of that first meet. You will always be the best in my book. I feel very lucky to call you my friend. Congrats, I look forward to seeing you in March. Maybe we can find the time to serve ourselves some morning drinks at the Imperial Palace. Heck, you might even GET the local DOWN to join us if you pick up the tab! ;)

Great job Lindy, and special shout out to your assistant, Gabe Hinkelman. Ol Gabe seems to have done very good in March of 2011 on his own. Not just talking baseball. He is a chip off the ole block.

[ October 19, 2011, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Sack ]

Bob Enzyte

Post by Bob Enzyte » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:52 am

Ken, thanks for the kind words. That trip to Philadelphia in 2001 changed my life. I met so many great people then and continue to do so pursuing this hobby, but there hasn't been one that has matched your friendship and desire to win. Yes, there was no Eckstein on my roster this year as there was on our 2003 WCOFB team. What we have done better than most is learn from our mistakes and we've made plenty. Breakfast is on me at the IP the morning of the Main Event, but you owe me an ice cream treat that night.

Potter

Post by Potter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 am

Congrats Lindy on another fantastic year. On at least three different occasions in September,I had composed emails to you that included a reference for you to start working on your upcoming HOF induction speech. Thankfully, I remembered the power of the jinx before hitting "send". That ought to be worth an IP breakfast, no?

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Lindy,

Amazing accomplishment; you are truly an all time great and it has been my pleasure knowing you. Missed you this year since I drafted in NYC but looking forward to meeting up next March.

Again, congratulations!!!

Now I can continue to watch the Rangers getting their ass kicked in Game #3 :-(
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Fantastic year Lindy! Always a pleasure GETting a chance to CATCH up with you and Gabe. How about you guys staying out of my league next year? It's already apparent I'm not in yours....

See you in March/April!
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Catch

Post by Catch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:54 am

Lindy,

Once again congratulations!

I bet this is NY Times first visit to Greencreek, Idaho. The home of the best pig farmer and fantasy baseball player.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:21 pm

LINDY in DEADSPIN!

http://deadspin.com/fantasy-sports/

the man rocking that Matt Kemp jersey....w/ friends :D
Always be closing.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 am

Most famous pig farmer since Max Yasgur!

These pig farmers find unique ways to garner national acclaim.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!