A NEW all time draft with a couple of changes?

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am

Guys if any of you are interested in doing another all time draft right now, count me in. Very interesting concept and the time is right -- with the "real" drafts still many months away, this is perfect for the cold winter months.

For all those interested, let's start up a new draft for $100 entry fee, with cash paid to the top 3, maybe 60%/30%/10%, with a free entry going to whoever wants to do the spreadsheets. Somebody had suggested 2 blind rounds instead of 4 and I agree with that. Originally I thought that 3RR might be a good idea but given the results of your just completed draft --- probably unnecessary. Anyone else up for a new draft? Any thoughts on the suggested changes?

1, Ken Gill, Reading PA

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:19 am

I'd consider doing another of these right away if the parameters are changed somewhat.

I didn't mind the original format at all, I thought it all went well. I would just like to change the player pool a bit to keep it interesting and fresh. Having just completed one of these and having the road map to victory so recently laid out, I'd prefer a little twist on things. Maybe reduce the player pool to 1920 to present as someone suggested during the previous draft or go with only "modern" players from 1941 to present or only players from the "rotisserie" era of 1980 to present.

Just some suggestions from someone who truly enjoyed the original experience.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:39 am

Glenn, I agree, let's make 1941 the starting point.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:52 am

ALL TIME NFBC DRAFT

Players can be drafted from 2004 - 2011.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:53 am

I'd also like to it in the rules that any team scoring 1 point in any category is ineligible to win prize money. THAT should make for some very interesting final couple of rounds.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:55 am

btw, I still think 3RR would be needed.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:56 am

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:

Glenn, I agree, let's make 1941 the starting point. This should make things interesting as without the early 1900's crazy innings total, I'm not sure the "bulk up on reliever" strategy can be pushed to the same limits. Also a lot of the 1920-30's crazy RBI/Runs totals will be eliminated as will many of the .400 or close to .400 seasons. Should make it a completely different game.

I'm in under this format.

Of course, you'll have to recruit Zola for the spreadsheets as he was the engine behind the original draft and see if Dan or someone else will agree to handle the blinds again.

Still, I'd be willing to do one more of these during the heart of the off-season. The first draft was such a blast.

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 am

If Todd doesn't want to do it, I would love to handle the spreadsheet

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:02 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

I'd consider doing another of these right away if the parameters are changed somewhat.

I didn't mind the original format at all, I thought it all went well. I would just like to change the player pool a bit to keep it interesting and fresh. Having just completed one of these and having the road map to victory so recently laid out, I'd prefer a little twist on things. Maybe reduce the player pool to 1920 to present as someone suggested during the previous draft or go with only "modern" players from 1941 to present or only players from the "rotisserie" era of 1980 to present.

Just some suggestions from someone who truly

enjoyed the original experience. I don't really think there is a road map to victory in these types of drafts. It just depends on what the other drafters do. If one or two other teams had tried to punt batting average the results would have been much different. With that being said, I would not mind changing it up with regards to the player pool.
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:03 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

btw, I still think 3RR would be needed. Why?
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:08 am

Originally posted by G@mblor:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

btw, I still think 3RR would be needed. Why? [/QUOTE]give me 1 hole and i'll show you :D

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:17 am

when I first read of Shawn's All Time draft I had no interest. It's not that I'm scared, but I'm realistic...born in '70 my knowledge of the black n white era is mainly thru reading Doughboy's posts and when it comes to #'s, AS IF :eek: I'd even have a chance against a guy like Lord Zola.

so why bother?

I'm not sure I can answer that question, but it still seems like it might be fun...esp if the starting point was a more modern one, say 1973 (the yr DH was instituted) or 1968 when they raised the mound.

How bout 1988? (the yr the Cubs got lights, was 8-8-88 if I recall correctly....Naval Lint will know :D )

Anyway, depending on the parameters I'd be interested in losing another NFBC league!
Always be closing.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:18 am

welcome rockit! let's get this party organized and ready to roll this week!

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:20 am

welcome rockit! let's get this party organized and ready to roll this week! welcome my you know what Mark!

you just want me in cuz I'm DEAD $$$ :cool: :D
Always be closing.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:22 am

hey, i was born in the mid 70s too :D :D

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:23 am

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

you just want me in cuz I'm DEAD $$$ :cool: :D hey, that may or may not be true. i PROVED i was dead $

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:23 am

quote:Originally posted by G@mblor:

btw, I still think 3RR would be needed. Why? [/QUOTE]give me 1 hole and i'll show you :D
[/QUOTE]Considering that #14 won the first one, give us the 15 hole and we might show you.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:25 am

[/QUOTE]Considering that #14 won the first one, give us the 15 hole and we might show you.
[/QUOTE]let's get it on!!!

question for you...if 3RR was used for this draft, what would your KDS look like? i bet you would still start off 1,2,3,4,5,6

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:39 am

question for you...if 3RR was used for this draft, what would your KDS look like? i bet you would still start off 1,2,3,4,5,6
[/QUOTE]Depends on what your strategy is. If we were using 1901-Present and you wanted Cobb, Hornsby, Lajoie, maybe even Piazza you would certainly want to be towards the back end.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:47 am

[/QUOTE]Depends on what your strategy is. If we were using 1901-Present and you wanted Cobb, Hornsby, Lajoie, maybe even Piazza you would certainly want to be towards the back end.
[/QUOTE]I don't think one draft is enough to determine an ADP, but what do I know, I'm the guy that finished the inaugural NFBC All-Time Draft in last place
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Lawrence Liebman

Post by Lawrence Liebman » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:25 am

I'm interested. I like the suggestion of 1941-present, but have no problem with any other cut. I agree that since the other draft just ended, we should pick a different time period.

- Scott

Texas Connection

Post by Texas Connection » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:05 am

I'm in. Will take any format. I like the idea of 3rd round reversal just because I think it would balance out the kds preferences a little more. I don't see the downside in it as everybody has the option for their preference. I never could understand why football had it and baseball didn't. but it seems like I am in the minority on that one.

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally posted by Texas Connection:

I'm in. Will take any format. I like the idea of 3rd round reversal just because I think it would balance out the kds preferences a little more. I don't see the downside in it as everybody has the option for their preference. I never could understand why football had it and baseball didn't. but it seems like I am in the minority on that one. There really was no advantage to draft slot during the first draft if you look at the final standings.

I think football tends to be much more top heavy in the first few picks and so that's why it is used there and not in baseball.

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Originally posted by Texas Connection:

I'm in. Will take any format. I like the idea of 3rd round reversal just because I think it would balance out the kds preferences a little more. I don't see the downside in it as everybody has the option for their preference. I never could understand why football had it and baseball didn't. but it seems like I am in the minority on that one. There really was no advantage to draft slot during the first draft if you look at the final standings.

I think football tends to be much more top heavy in the first few picks and so that's why it is used there and not in baseball.