All Time Draft Thread

The Fool on the Hill

All Time Draft Thread

Post by The Fool on the Hill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:51 am

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer on anyone, I just figured out his strategy, and I don't think anyone can come close to beating it. Can we discuss other peoples strategy here? I guess it's been done already....

Just ask yourself, "wow, why hasn't Shawn drafted ANY pitchers since round 2"?

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:01 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by The Fool on the Hill:

Well, I had a moment of clarity in a nightmare last night.... I was arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and Shawn Childs sailed off alone, laughing, on the last lifeboat. The rest of us were toast after round 2. Really round 1, but round 2 sealed the deal. Nicely played, flawless strategy. We'll need some rule changes before we try this again.

I haven't figured out who's likely to come in second, but it ain't me. Wow, I've learned a lot from you guys, and looking back, really goofed on so many picks! Now, in an effort to not finish dead last :( ---

OF Tim Raines 1983

BA- .298

R- 133

HR-11

RBI- 71

SB- 90 I thought you were the favorite before the last pick.
[/QUOTE]Haha. The truth is this will be very difficult to win for anyone. From a math perspective the average drafter only has about a 6.66% chance of winning this. If you consider some people to have a big edge on the field maybe you give them double or triple that but in any event its not enough to be declaring a winner after Round 2 ( or Round 13).

Perhaps taking a pitcher first was the way to go and doing so has increased the chances for those drafters getting one of the top arms, but that remains to be seen. There is also an element of luck in this draft. Not only do you need certain key players to fall, you also need your strategy to match up well with what others are doing. If a team planned on punting ratios and taking first in wins, k's, and saves then this works best if other teams are concentrating on ratios. If several teams are copying your approach it is likely to cost you points.

We have a long way to go and with these blind rounds its hard to know who is really in front. I thought before this draft (and still do ) that what a team can accomplish in the back half will decide who wins.
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

Texas Connection

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Texas Connection » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:02 am

I'll put a $100 on the field vs. Shawn if you want and I wil even let you take one more team of your choice..

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:03 am

Originally posted by The Fool on the Hill:

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer on anyone, I just figured out his strategy, and I don't think anyone can come close to beating it. Can we discuss other peoples strategy here? I guess it's been done already....

Just ask yourself, "wow, why hasn't Shawn drafted ANY pitchers since round 2"? He's doing what most people who took two big inning eaters would (or should) have done. Also, we do not know if he has 2 pitchers or 4 at this point. Don't give up so soon
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

DOUGHBOYS

All Time Draft Thread

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 am

Todd is having fun and sun in Arizona.

The two names he gave me won't work.

He'll try to duck out between meetings to get to a computer and send me a pick or pick here.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:05 am

Originally posted by Texas Connection:

I'll put a $100 on the field vs. Shawn if you want and I wil even let you take one more team of your choice.. Beat me to it

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Todd is having fun and sun in Arizona.

The two names he gave me won't work.

He'll try to duck out between meetings to get to a computer and send me a pick or pick here. I know you can't say what the names were but I thought he had given you two with only one pick before him. Was one a mistake?

Nevadaman

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Nevadaman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:32 am

Guys, we have a problem here. I am going on a trip until Sunday night and will not have any computer access. I was hoping to make both my picks here before I left, but I can see that won't happen. (I'm leaving within the hour.) This is a driving trip, so I will be in the car for long periods. I had planned on calling Todd to get updates, but if he's out of town that won't work. I would call Dough, but in an earlier post Dough said he won't take phone calls. What should I do???

[ November 04, 2011, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Nevadaman ]

GLG20

All Time Draft Thread

Post by GLG20 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:36 am

Originally posted by Nevadaman:

Guys, we have a problem here. I am going on a trip until Sunday night and will not have any computer access. I was hoping to make both my picks here before I left, but I can see that won't happen. (I'm leaving within the hour.) This is a driving trip, so I will be in the car for long periods. I had planned on calling Todd to get updates, but if he's out of town that won't work. I would call Dough, but in an earlier post Dough said he won't take phone calls. What should I do??? I'd be more than happy to give you updates, via text or over the phone, and can relay your picks if that works for you.

(310) 592-0502
"There are two types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't."

Nevadaman

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Nevadaman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks Brian, I took down your number. What hours are you available?

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:39 am

Guys, we have a problem here. I am going on a trip until Sunday night and will not have any computer access. I was hoping to make both my picks here before I left, but I can see that won't happen. (I'm leaving within the hour.) This is a driving trip, so I will be in the car for long periods. I had planned on calling Todd to get updates, but if he's out of town that won't work. I would call Dough, but in an earlier post Dough said he won't take phone calls. What should I do??? PM me your cell number and i will text you the picks

The Fool on the Hill

All Time Draft Thread

Post by The Fool on the Hill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:43 am

Originally posted by G@mblor:

quote:Originally posted by Texas Connection:

I'll put a $100 on the field vs. Shawn if you want and I wil even let you take one more team of your choice.. Beat me to it [/QUOTE]Is STATS/NFBC ok with this? Do any other players have reservations about this affecting the integrity of our draft? If nobody objects, you guys are on. I'll take Shawn, and Brian (in a close call over Ryan).

GLG20

All Time Draft Thread

Post by GLG20 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 am

Thanks Brian, I took down your number. What hours are you available? Pretty much anytime from now through the weekend... shoot me a text and I'll have your number. Then I'll update you pick by pick.

And I'm refreshing far more than I care to admit these days, so you'll be getting updates fairly frequently.
"There are two types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't."

Nevadaman

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Nevadaman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 am

That would be great, but I have no idea what the phone number is! It's one of those trac phones and I only use it to call out on trips. Also, I don't know how to text. Typing that makes me feel like a dinosaur. Maybe I'll put that bit of education on the to do pile. In short, I prefer an actual conversation.

[ November 04, 2011, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Nevadaman ]

ToddZ

All Time Draft Thread

Post by ToddZ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:47 am

Sorry guys, brain fart -- I searched the tracker and my list was available.....

but I forgot about the blinds :rolleyes:

Jim Rice 1978
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

GLG20

All Time Draft Thread

Post by GLG20 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:51 am

That would be great, but I have no idea what the phone number is! It's one of those trac phones and I only use it to call out on trips. Also, I don't know how to text. Typing that makes me feel like a dinosaur. Maybe I'll put that bit of education on the to do pile. In short, I prefer an actual conversation. Haha.... no worries. Call whenever. I have something from 8-10pm PDT tonight but everything else should be smooth sailing.

Nevadaman

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Nevadaman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks Brian, I expect to call you around 6:00-6:30pm.

Steve

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:36 am

1. (Navel Lint)

2. (Texas Connection)

3. (JohnP)

4. (vpokrnut)

5. (mbendar16)

6. (Nevadaman)

7. (Gekko)

GO TIME! there's a 50% i will be unavailable from about 8pm - midnight tonight.

DOUGHBOYS

All Time Draft Thread

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 am

Russel takes Mort Cooper, 1942
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Texas Connection

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Texas Connection » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:40 am

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll put a $100 on the field vs. Shawn if you want and I wil even let you take one more team of your choice..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beat me to it

Is STATS/NFBC ok with this? Do any other players have reservations about this affecting the integrity of our draft? If nobody objects, you guys are on. I'll take Shawn, and Brian (in a close call over Ryan).

Book It! Pay in Vegas at the draft? Congrats Hello Kitties on getting the 2nd place love.

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 am

1. (Texas Connection)

2. (JohnP)

3. (vpokrnut)

4. (mbendar16)

5. (Nevadaman)

6. (Gekko)

:D

The Fool on the Hill

All Time Draft Thread

Post by The Fool on the Hill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:08 am

quote:

Beat me to it

Is STATS/NFBC ok with this? Do any other players have reservations about this affecting the integrity of our draft? If nobody objects, you guys are on. I'll take Shawn, and Brian (in a close call over Ryan).

Book It! Pay in Vegas at the draft? Congrats Hello Kitties on getting the 2nd place love. Sadly, I'll have to wait until retirement to actually make the Vegas draft. I was thinking more when this draft is over. Extra cash for Christmas gifts. ;)

Navel Lint

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

Checking in. I see Dan made my pick for me. Thanks

I will be in/mostly out for the rest of the afternoon.

I did download Todd's most recent tracker, I didn't study it carefully, but I did notice that he has Rudy York 1938 listed as a CI for Glenn when it should be a C.

I'll be back sometime later
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Texas Connection

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Texas Connection » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am

jose mesa, 1995 edition

64 ip, 3 wins, 1.13era, 1.031 whip, 46 saves, 58 ks

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 am