How Does DFS Affect Your Season-Long Participation?

TOXIC ASSETS

Re: How Does DFS Affect Your Season-Long Participation?

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:27 pm

It amazes me that people can actually make a living playing DFS.
No way and no how could DFS be as entertaining as playing season long NFBC.

*** Let's hope that good old Uncle Sam doesn't step in and end DFS ***

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 am

I wanna form a syndicate w/ cheeseisgood :D
Always be closing.

gsjanoff

Post by gsjanoff » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:59 pm

This might not be directly related, but I play both DFS and numerous NFBC leagues as I'm sure many others on these boards do. Speaking strictly from a DFS perspective, you certainly don't have to deal with the injuries.

It's really tough to spend $1200-$1600, or sometimes more, on a team, and feel as though your season is over 2 weeks in.

I'm sure there are other teams in similar circumstances, but I have 1 team with 7 injuries prior to yesterday's FAAB, so I cut 1 guy reluctantly just to have a healthy reserve, and get another injury today.

I will have to make at least 1 more reluctant cut this weekend, and this assumes everyone left stays healthy for the next 6 days.

In this realm, DFS is simply better. No injuries to speak of. Smaller investment. Instant gratification, assuming you are good at it, and you can actually make a living at it, if you put the time in. It's not all luck.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:39 am

gsjanoff wrote:No injuries to speak of.
What about players who get hurt during games? Doesn't that impact daily outcomes?
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am

gsjanoff wrote:This might not be directly related, but I play both DFS and numerous NFBC leagues as I'm sure many others on these boards do. Speaking strictly from a DFS perspective, you certainly don't have to deal with the injuries.

It's really tough to spend $1200-$1600, or sometimes more, on a team, and feel as though your season is over 2 weeks in.

I'm sure there are other teams in similar circumstances, but I have 1 team with 7 injuries prior to yesterday's FAAB, so I cut 1 guy reluctantly just to have a healthy reserve, and get another injury today.

I will have to make at least 1 more reluctant cut this weekend, and this assumes everyone left stays healthy for the next 6 days.

In this realm, DFS is simply better. No injuries to speak of. Smaller investment. Instant gratification, assuming you are good at it, and you can actually make a living at it, if you put the time in. It's not all luck.
teach me how to be good at it. I was in a bunch of DFS with you on Sunday and you did really well. NICE JOB!

gsjanoff

Post by gsjanoff » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks 76er fan.

I've been at it for 2 years now and have actually been good at it. (Knock on wood)
I can say its all about the time you put in to it. At least in my opinion.

As for the injury factor in the daily game, it can certainly impact you there, but that is 1 game and sometimes 1 contest, depending on what you have entered, and at least speaking for myself, the investment is not anywhere close to $1200 or more, although I'm sure there are players at that level.

The season long leagues have injuries that impact our teams. This is a known factor and each of us has to deal with it, and injuries can certainly be overcome as we all realize the season is a marathon, not a day, week, or month.

But when faced with 9 injuries in roughly 15 days and already having had to reluctantly cut 1 player and having to do so again this weekend just to field a 23 man roster, it makes you feel like the luck factor simply has it out for you and you are on an uneven playing field with everyone else.

rickerbockerNFBC

Post by rickerbockerNFBC » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:33 pm

IMHO, DFS is a fad, at least in baseball. I think there's way too much luck involved in the Daily league. Certainly, I see a level of skill if you compare a daily baseball league to a flip of a coin. But, you're basically trying to figure out what a player may do in a sample size of 4 or 5 plate appearances or what a starting pitcher might do in a sample size of 5-7 innings (that's about what you get these days from pitchers). That just SCREAMS luck to me. And, I don't see that lasting for a really long time. I can't speak to football or basketball, or any other sport really, because I'm not as much involved. However, I could see where DFS in the NFL could stick. I can see the potential for more skill involved and also more of that "gambling" excitement that people enjoy.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 am

The main way DFS affects my participation in season long leagues?

I'm so bad @ DFS that I could never leave Greg and Tom even if I wanted to!

https://youtu.be/CjNPH06A24g

RobG

Post by RobG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 pm

I have been playing DFS quite a bit in the last year or so and I will say that it is hard to compare with the season long because they are so different. DFS is set up to reward players that function like brokers. Develop strong algorithms, spread out the risk and hit your margins. In tournaments, these guys win unless someone hits on a lucky lineup. Everyone else is at a disadvantage. It's like many non NFBC players taking on NFBC vets. There is a shot they can compete, but over time the vets will win a high majority of the time.
Rob Giese

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:27 pm

RobG wrote:I have been playing DFS quite a bit in the last year or so and I will say that it is hard to compare with the season long because they are so different. DFS is set up to reward players that function like brokers. Develop strong algorithms, spread out the risk and hit your margins. In tournaments, these guys win unless someone hits on a lucky lineup. Everyone else is at a disadvantage. It's like many non NFBC players taking on NFBC vets. There is a shot they can compete, but over time the vets will win a high majority of the time.
What's an algorithm? If by algorithm you mean taking a late afternoon nap, pouring myself a cocktail, checking daily line-ups, and setting line-ups by my hunch and feel, then yes I gots me an Allll-GO-RYTHM. Must be why I SUCK. Because at the end of the day, its all just educated guessing and gambling. Pick a winning pitcher and a bunch of cheap platoon play types that'll hit HR's. Probably why some chic won the Basketball Tournament who never knew anything about basketball before playing. Sorry, not buying this notion that you need strong algorithms to be successful. Just luck and a contrarian-play mind-set. Don't overcomplicate it. And as Tom Kessenich so eloquently stated below, it's too gimmicky and gamey and all about finding cheap plays to ever appeal to anything more than the gambling, ROI, and online poker types. Give me season long, all day, every day where I'm married to these MF-ers for 6 months, through good times and bad, sickness and health.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci