MLB and DirecTV

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Yep, as I suspected, a disingenuous smoke-screen that will make it very tough for political forces to intervene ... so here we go again with another league conveniently laying all the blame for screwing the fan base on the cable guys. Kevin, I might be confused, but isn't it the cable companies screwing the cable guys. My impression was that they have the same offer as Direct TV. They are choosing not take the same offer.

[/QUOTE]I don't know all the details yet, Shawn, but I doubt it. The reason DirecTV overpays for these sports deals, is that they can grab new customers who otherwise would have no interest in switching from their cable providers. The incremental revenue for DTV is not just the $200/yr for the sports package, but more like $2,000/year for an entire satellite programming package, which is why they are willing to lose money on the NFL or MLB alone (with the new subs of course it is still profitable).

The cables, on the other hand would simply be playing defense, trying to defend market share, which incumbent businesses typically are less willing to do. Now, you can argue this is still their choice (and most cables do not have among the brightest of mgt teams), although the fact that a majority of Extra Innings subs last year came from DTV, it could very well be uneconomic for any individual cable system to meet DTV's terms even if they do retain subs that otherwise would jump ship. I also find it interesting that DTV took an ownership position in the MLB channel, probably a further deterrent to the cable systems knowing that they will be running DTV ads all day long on that channel.

Really what it seems to come down to is that MLB should be acting in its own best interest for the long-term - making its product as available as possible to the entire market to foster growth in its fan base. Instead they are selling out to the highest bidder in the short-run, no doubt because it means more money in the pockets of owners, baseball executives, the player's union, lawyers, etc, today. If this goes down as I suspect, it is a very disappointing and poorly thought out decision executed under the watch of Bud Selig, who's charge as commissioner, as I understand it anyway, is to act in the best interest of the game, not to maximize short-term income. He is once again proving to be a very poor leader IMO.

poopy tooth

MLB and DirecTV

Post by poopy tooth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:53 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe with Verizon offering FiOS for internet and TV that at some point, you will be able to watch computer screen on TV. I believe this is initially thought to help people with movie downloads (legal ones of course ) and things like that. At least I hope so. Being able to project mlb.com on regular TV would be great option. (Of course with MLB knowing people won't use direct TV, I'm sure their package will increase in price if this becomes more of a realistic offer...looks like it has already increased some!)

RODGER

MLB and DirecTV

Post by RODGER » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

Yep, as I suspected, a disingenuous smoke-screen that will make it very tough for political forces to intervene ... so here we go again with another league conveniently laying all the blame for screwing the fan base on the cable guys. Kevin, I might be confused, but isn't it the cable companies screwing the cable guys. My impression was that they have the same offer as Direct TV. They are choosing not take the same offer.

I wish the baseball package would allow you to watch all games as NFL package does. I would a premium for this service.
[/QUOTE]There are no saints to be found here, and the cable companies are just as much to blame as anyone else.

MLB has their interest focused on money and a centralized TV presence. This deal helps them with immediate and future cash, but more importantly creates momentum for the new MLB Network they will be launching in 2009.

DirecTV has their interest focused on money and subscribers. This deal will result in them owning another exclusive rights deal to offer league-wide access to a major sport. There are only two big-time cash cows in American TV sports, and DirecTV will own a level of exclusivity for the mass broadcasting of both of them (NFL & MLB).

Cable companies have their interest focused on pride, saving face and spite. This is nothing new as they have not reacted well to the dismemberment of what was a monarchy style of empire controlling American television just over a decade ago.

If you are a DirecTV subscriber, you should appreciate their efforts to continually provide the best entertainment for you.

If you are a cable TV subscriber, you should be increasingly frustrated and disappointed in the cable TV industry's total lack of regard for you and all of their customers' best interest.
“The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.”
——Thomas Paine

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Originally posted by poopy tooth:

I could be wrong, but I believe with Verizon offering FiOS for internet and TV that at some point, you will be able to watch computer screen on TV. I believe this is initially thought to help people with movie downloads (legal ones of course ) and things like that. At least I hope so. Being able to project mlb.com on regular TV would be great option. (Of course with MLB knowing people won't use direct TV, I'm sure their package will increase in price if this becomes more of a realistic offer...looks like it has already increased some!) The picture quality of live streaming video is and will remain far inferior to broadcast signal. I've had mlb.tv the last 2 yrs and this Spring - it's slightly better than before, but still grainy even in a 10" box. Blow it up to a 50" TV and you might as well be watching on radio.

CC's Desperados

MLB and DirecTV

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:04 pm

I guess I'm not heart broken as I have had DTV for 10 years. The main reason for me was the NFL package. I wasn't a big cable fan a few years back, but I like the new technology they have with the DVRs. If cable had the NFL package and the MLB package, I'm sure I'd switch back. My costs would be less.

[ March 08, 2007, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: CC's Desperados ]

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 pm

Originally posted by RODGER:

If you are a DirecTV subscriber, you should appreciate their efforts to continually provide the best entertainment for you.

If you are a cable TV subscriber, you should be increasingly frustrated and disappointed in the cable TV industry's total lack of regard for you and all of their customers' best interest. In summary:

* DTV makes another shrewd deal in their long-term interest.

* The cables get schooled once again, but are so awash in cash flow, and their executives so overpaid for running the world's simplest business, they hardly care.

* MLB is selling out to the detriment of it's fan base.

* I'm wasting precious NFBC prep time getting worked up over bad management, and I won't be seeing many games on cable this yr :mad:

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Bud Selig, the commissioner of Major League Baseball, presented Thursday's announcement as news that should be "a cause for celebration for baseball and its fans."

Anyone feel like celebrating? What an A@@.

Greg, you want an editorial piece for your next mag?

[ March 08, 2007, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Walla Walla

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Growing up with the game of the week on NBC and a few Dodger and Angel games these days aren't so bad. I still get more games on cable than I ever got back than. But that stated all you have to do is look at boxing to see what pay per view did to that fan base. Baseball and Football run the risk of the same thing. I've talked to alot of your average fans and they say if they have to pay to watch they'll just stop watching. You'll always have your hardcore fans paying but it's not enough.

ssmarsh

MLB and DirecTV

Post by ssmarsh » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:01 am

Looks like it's not 100% over yet. Some Senators are going to take a look at things. From Yahoo baseball:

Senators to examine baseball deal with DirecTV

March 9, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two senators plan to examine baseball's $700 million, seven-year deal with DirecTV to determine its impact on fans.

Under the agreement announced Thursday, the deal contains a provision that allows its "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games to remain on cable television if the other incumbent providers -- iN Demand and EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network -- agree to match the terms.

But Robert Jacobson, president of iN Demand Networks LLC, said those terms for the "Extra Innings" package of out-of-market games were impossible for his company to agree to and called it a "de facto exclusive deal."

"I will review this deal to ensure it benefits consumers," said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "I'm encouraged that Major League Baseball may be willing to provide broader access to their games than what was initially proposed. I will be watching closely to ensure the league works in good faith so that America's pastime is available to all fans. My concern all along has been that fans continue to have the ability to enjoy baseball on television."

The agreement also drew the attention of Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"I will be analyzing the commitment to see ... if the conditions for other carriers are satisfactory," Specter said. "This arrangement should motivate the NFL to reconsider broader coverage on its Sunday ticket and Thursday/Saturday programming to make such games available to other carriers beyond DirecTV.

"It may be necessary for the Senate Judiciary Committee to have further hearings on the antitrust implications of the NFL and MLB TV programming and whether it is in the public interest to allow the antitrust exemptions of the NFL and MLB to continue."

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:49 am

Originally posted by ssmarsh:

"It may be necessary for the Senate Judiciary Committee to have further hearings on the antitrust implications of the NFL and MLB TV programming and whether it is in the public interest to allow the antitrust exemptions of the NFL and MLB to continue." THAT is what I wanted to hear from our Senators! :D

devilznj

MLB and DirecTV

Post by devilznj » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:56 am

Of course you now have John Kerry and Arlen Specter on the case - two of the biggest blowhards on either side of the Mississippi. Better start checking your southwest exposure to make sure you have a nice clear signal satellite signal....
Happy Recap

Spyhunter

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:13 am

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

I wish the baseball package would allow you to watch all games as NFL package does. I would a premium for this service.
[/QUOTE]There are no saints to be found here, and the cable companies are just as much to blame as anyone else.

MLB has their interest focused on money and a centralized TV presence. This deal helps them with immediate and future cash, but more importantly creates momentum for the new MLB Network they will be launching in 2009.

DirecTV has their interest focused on money and subscribers. This deal will result in them owning another exclusive rights deal to offer league-wide access to a major sport. There are only two big-time cash cows in American TV sports, and DirecTV will own a level of exclusivity for the mass broadcasting of both of them (NFL & MLB).

Cable companies have their interest focused on pride, saving face and spite. This is nothing new as they have not reacted well to the dismemberment of what was a monarchy style of empire controlling American television just over a decade ago.

If you are a cable TV subscriber, you should be increasingly frustrated and disappointed in the cable TV industry's total lack of regard for you and all of their customers' best interest.
[/QUOTE]Roger, I couldn't disagree with you MORE. I agree with KJ on this one. Here is why:

1. Baseball has the anti-trust exemption so they are getting a huge benefit

2. The public is financing MOST stadiums

Here is the key part:

3. WHY should the average joe be forced to spend more on basic cable? Guess what? The baseball channel IS NOT FREE to the cabel companies. So the cable companies will have to raise rates. Personally, I hate the cable companies as monopolistic jerks but they are in the right on this one.

Frankly, as much as I like baseball, I think the public has done enough to sponsor BB. MLB should not be allowed to raise basic cable costs

This is a huge disaster for Baseball, which was once 'America's game' soon, it will be a small group of us fantasy players still trying to enjoy.

A sad day

Spy

Greg Ambrosius

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:48 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Bud Selig, the commissioner of Major League Baseball, presented Thursday's announcement as news that should be "a cause for celebration for baseball and its fans."

Yeah, I might be interested in an editorial piece on this. Seriously.

What's the price now for this? I didn't see that or maybe I just missed it. I have DirecTV and will probably still order MLB Extra Innings anyway, but I agree that there is no way that excluding the majority of your fans from receiving this package is a "cause for celebration."

Nothing against our former Brewers' owner, but remember he did make his money as a car salesman!! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ssmarsh

MLB and DirecTV

Post by ssmarsh » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:15 am

Last year I paid $180 for it on cable. I haven't seen anyting saying how much it's going to cost this year on Dtv.

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Yeah, I might be interested in an editorial piece on this. Seriously.

What's the price now for this? I didn't see that or maybe I just missed it. I have DirecTV and will probably still order MLB Extra Innings anyway, but I agree that there is no way that excluding the majority of your fans from receiving this package is a "cause for celebration."

Nothing against our former Brewers' owner, but remember he did make his money as a car salesman!! :D
[/QUOTE]I didn't know that Greg, but it makes perfect sense. I could probably put something together sometime after all the drafts get done, combining the fan/fantasy side of it along with a little business perspective.

Josh R

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Josh R » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:44 pm

I ordered it for $140 with Comcast, I believe it was $40 cheaper if you ordered before a certain date.

For us diehards who really watch a lot of baseball, this sucks. But I am not so sure the general public really cares that much. The avg fan is really interested just in their own local team, which they can probably have around 140 games available(at least in my market). Plus there is ESPN, WGN(cubs and sox) and TBS-but I think I heard they are cutting way back on Braves games.

I suppose it sucks for the people who move and now cant follow their favorite team. I guess MLB thinks those people represent such a small minority that its worth it to do it

ssmarsh

MLB and DirecTV

Post by ssmarsh » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 am

So the latest has InDirect saying they'll match Directv's offer only to have MLB reject it? Nothing like teasing us then taking it away again. I did see that Sen Kerry is having a hearing or something regarding this issue on the 27th so there is still hope!

Keep MLB Extra Innings on CABLE!!

ssmarsh

MLB and DirecTV

Post by ssmarsh » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:48 pm

The latest...

Kerry says 60 million could lose access to TV package

March 26, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Sixty million consumers would lose access to baseball's television package of out-of-market games if the sport is allowed to strike an exclusive deal with DirecTV, according to Sen. John Kerry.

A day ahead of a Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee hearing, the Massachusetts Democrat said the deal probably was legal but might not be good for fans.

"When you've got 75 million people who currently have the option of doing something and you reduce it to 15 million, you've got to ask are the terms of this deal fair and does it work for the fan and for the sport itself?" he said during a conference call Monday.

Under a $700 million, seven-year agreement announced March 8, baseball's Extra Innings package would move exclusively to DirecTV starting this season, and the sport's new television network would go to DirecTV starting in 2009.

IN Demand, owned by affiliates of the companies that own Time Warner, Comcast and Cox cable systems, and EchoStar's Dish Network have until this weekend to match the offer. When IN Demand announced last week that it was matching, baseball immediately rejected the proposal, saying it wanted its new channel to be available to the same percentage of homes on cable as on DirecTV rather than the same amount of homes.

DirecTV says only about 5,000 customers who currently receive the package won't have the ability to get it on television, and baseball says those consumers can buy the games on MLB.com.

"Our hope is that iN Demand and Dish opt in and that all fans have an opportunity to receive the Extra Innings package," said Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer. "This is not about iN Demand or Dish not being able to match the DirecTV offer, it is about their willingness to do so. This was a negotiation at arms length over several months. DirecTV set the market. It is up to the other bidders to meet it."

DuPuy is to testify at the hearing along with DirecTV president Chase Carey, iN Demand president Robert Jacobson, EchoStar president Carl Vogel and Penn State law professor Stephen Ross.

"Fans are pretty discerning," Kerry said. "I think they'll have a terrific ability to say, `Well, that's crock or this isn't,' and kind of get a read on it."

Kerry, who asked the Federal Communications Commission to investigate, said he hadn't been given a copy of DirecTV's deal and wasn't sure whether he had a right to it. He said he called for the hearing on behalf of Red Sox fans who live outside New England.

"We've lost jobs in recent years. We've seen a lot of folks go to Arizona, New Mexico," he said. "People retire, but they'd like to be able to continue to follow their team."

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Dirt Dogs

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Dirt Dogs » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:05 pm

This sux! Give me my fantasy players, playoff races, historic stadiums, and most of all history!

To be able to watch the games greatest players no matter what team they are on. I will never get direct TV just because they are doing this!

Say NO to direct TV!
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

RODGER

MLB and DirecTV

Post by RODGER » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:50 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

This sux! Give me my fantasy players, playoff races, historic stadiums, and most of all history!

To be able to watch the games greatest players no matter what team they are on. I will never get direct TV just because they are doing this!

Say NO to direct TV! That might be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read!

Why would you possibly blame DirecTV even a little bit? Because they provide a great product?

If you're angry about this, your issues are with MLB and perhaps your cable company. Any animosity towards DirecTV is completely misguided.
——Thomas Paine

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:02 am

quote:Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

Say NO to direct TV! That might be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read!

Why would you possibly blame DirecTV even a little bit? Because they provide a great product?

If you're angry about this, your issues are with MLB and perhaps your cable company. Any animosity towards DirecTV is completely misguided.
[/QUOTE]Disagree Rodger. Although MLB is clearly the main culprit here in that they are being manipulated by DTV, it is in fact DTV that is initiating this exclusivity that will deprive baseball fans.

They are using exclusive sports deals as a loss leader to force fans to either sign up with them or be shut out of these games. I don't like the tactic since it is bad for all sports fans and the leagues (which are selling out for a quick buck). I think Dirt and anyone else that doesn't want to be forced to sign up with DirecTV has the right to be angry with them.

[ March 27, 2007, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

King of Queens

MLB and DirecTV

Post by King of Queens » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:14 am

More on this:

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:16pm EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -Sen. John Kerry urged Major League Baseball on Tuesday to hold off on a deal to put the sport's "Extra Innings'' package of out-of-market games exclusively on DirecTV. A top baseball official declined to agree, with opening day less than a week away.

Kerry, D-Mass., made the push at a Senate Commerce Committee hearing on behalf of subscribers to cable TV and EchoStar's Dish Network who had received the package previously.

The dispute concerns which homes will receive baseball's new television network in 2009. DirecTV has agreed to carry that package as part of its deal. The company would also receive an equity stake in the channel.

At Tuesday's hearing, Rob Jacobson, president and CEO of iN Demand, owned by affiliates of the companies that own Time Warner, Comcast and Cox cable systems, offered to carry the package on the same terms that DirecTV is, while putting off the issue of The Baseball Channel until it is launched.

"This would ensure that for the next two years at least, all baseball fans would have access to the "Extra Innings'' package,'' he said. "If we're unable to reach an agreement when the channel launches, we'd give baseball the right to cancel the "Extra Innings'' deal. We think this is a fair compromise.''

Kerry, often playing the role of mediator, got behind the effort.

"What's the matter with that?'' he asked Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer.

"We believe that DirecTV has the right to begin to help us build the channel,'' DuPuy answered, adding that the cable industry had nine months to negotiate a deal.

Kerry pressed the issue, suggesting that the status quo be kept in place while the sides tried to work out a deal.

DuPuy wouldn't agree to that, although he said, "Our door remains open'' for a resolution.

Baseball gave other incumbent carriers until the end of the month to match the $700 million, seven-year deal it announced with DirecTV on March 8. IN Demand recently made an offer it said matched the deal, but Major League Baseball said it fell short.

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who has been critical of the National Football League's "Sunday Ticket'' deal with DirecTV, which allows viewers to watch teams outside their regional markets, issued a warning to baseball.

"When fans react, Congress reacts,'' he said, adding, "You may be well advised to act before we do.''

Chase Carey, president and CEO of DirecTV, said that the issue was a business one that was best left to the market.

"I don't run down to Washington every time we have a contract issue or a programming issue or a cost issue,'' he said.

DuPuy said that fans who have gotten the out-of-town games on other providers will still have the option of receiving them this year: by switching to DirecTV or subscribing to MLB.TV to watch the games on the Internet.

"This is not a matter of fans being unable to view Major League Baseball's out-of-market games,'' he said. "It is a matter of not being able to watch those games on a particular system.''

"Extra Innings'' had more than a half-million TV subscribers last year.

Carl Vogel, president of EchoStar, said exclusive content deals are bad for fans.

"They harm existing consumers while limiting choices in the future,'' he said.

RODGER

MLB and DirecTV

Post by RODGER » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Disagree Rodger. Although MLB is clearly the main culprit here in that they are being manipulated by DTV, it is in fact DTV that is initiating this exclusivity that will deprive baseball fans.

I don't really understand how you can say that.

Just because DirecTV makes an offer doesn't mean MLB has to accept.

Do you believe DirecTV should go out of their way to NOT make the best deal they can? They're a business... they made a business offer and MLB agreed. Nothing else is really relevant.

[ March 27, 2007, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: RODGER ]
——Thomas Paine

KJ Duke

MLB and DirecTV

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:48 am

Disagree Rodger. Although MLB is clearly the main culprit here in that they are being manipulated by DTV, it is in fact DTV that is initiating this exclusivity that will deprive baseball fans.

Do you believe DirecTV should go out of their way to NOT make the best deal they can? They're a business... they made a business offer and MLB agreed. Nothing else is really relevant.
[/QUOTE]What don't you understand? I agreed with you that MLB is the primary culprit, but business deals happen all the time that may be good for that business while bad for consumers or the public at large. Why is it that you think someone shouldn't be upset with a company for making a deal that is bad for the public at large?

Chemical production plants make more money if allowed to pump unlimited pollution into the air - that is a good deal for them - does that mean it is good for you too, and that no one should be upset about it ?

Greg Ambrosius

MLB and DirecTV

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:02 am

[/QUOTE]Rodger, I don't want to get into any argument against MLB, but the two factors I see about this deal that has some legislators and fans irked are:

1. MLB enjoys anti-trust status

And 2. Many ballparks are paid for by public funds.

It allows this business to take funds to build ballparks and then make a business deal that doesn't take all fans into consideration. I'm not saying it's a bad or good deal as I have DirecTV myself and will still pay for the Extra Innings, but I can see where someone like KJ Duke objects to it.

I can say without a doubt that I have DirecTV because of the Sunday NFL package and the Extra Innings exclusive seals the deal for me to remain with DirecTV. I trust that's what they had in mind with this deal and it's working! :D But I sure liked it better when the NFL package was $119 instead of $249 and when Extra Innings was $149 instead of $179.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius