Affordable Auctions

Rotodog

Re: Affordable Auctions

Post by Rotodog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 am

Gekko wrote:Rotodog - I love to look at spreadsheets. My email is [email protected]
Not that I care personally if anyone sees my team in this whole world, I have 14 other teams on here and I cant be sure someone wouldnt want me to ship it out in case someone wanted to hold his cards close to the chest.

If nobody here has any objections to it, I dont have have a problem sending it off, but I suspect someone would like to remain anonymous. So as a courtesy to the other owners that drafted I feel like i need to wait a couple days before I potentially send it to you..Is that fair?

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am

Rotodog - no worries. Just kidding!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 am

Here are my raw numbers from last night (Navel Lint). I will provide more context later.................

C Castillo,W....3
C Arencibia,J....2
1B Pujols,A....25
2B Guerrero,A....3
SS Escobar,A....6
3B Wright,D....28
2B Weeks,R....1
3B Machado,M....15
OF Braun,R....31
OF Kemp,M....21
OF Hamilton,J....20
OF Brown,D....17
OF Crawford,C....8
OF Willingham,J....3
P Fernandez,J....26
P Cain,M....17
P Ross,T....3
P Hudson,T....2
P Miley,W....3
P Peralta,W.... 1
P Bradley,A....1
RP Grilli,J....18
RP Frieri,E....11
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Rotodog,
Thanks for honest assessment. Agree completely with your comments of my team.
And yes I did sneak that jaso pick in :)
Will write more this evening.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Navel Lint wrote:Here are my raw numbers from last night (Navel Lint). I will provide more context later.................

C Castillo,W....3
C Arencibia,J....2
1B Pujols,A....25
2B Guerrero,A....3
SS Escobar,A....6
3B Wright,D....28
2B Weeks,R....1
3B Machado,M....15
OF Braun,R....31
OF Kemp,M....21
OF Hamilton,J....20
OF Brown,D....17
OF Crawford,C....8
OF Willingham,J....3
P Fernandez,J....26
P Cain,M....17
P Ross,T....3
P Hudson,T....2
P Miley,W....3
P Peralta,W.... 1
P Bradley,A....1
RP Grilli,J....18
RP Frieri,E....11

Pujols,Wright,Braun,JHamilton,Crawford

All-Stars in 2009 and 2010 plus you got Kemp too. Helluva lotta potential there.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Rotodog

Post by Rotodog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

rkulaski wrote:Rotodog,
Thanks for honest assessment. Agree completely with your comments of my team.
And yes I did sneak that jaso pick in :)
Will write more this evening.
FWIW, My assessment is worth about as much as this aging laptop I am using to write this is... Its just an opinion and mine is not any better than yours or others. This was my very first NFBC auction redraft league. I have done numerous auctions at various levels in the past, but they were all keeper leagues. I had to take a few years off to take care of my own personal situation and thought a fresh draft where everyone starts with the same money and empty team was a great place to jump back in.

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm

OK, at the risk of being pilloried, here's my team:

C Lucroy 14
C Martin 1
1B Hosmer 19
2B Pedroia 23
3B Zimmerman 19
SS Hanley 25
OF Choo 26
OF Heyward 20
OF Gordon 19
OF Ethier 1
OF Johnson 1
MI Lowrie 8
CI Frazier 3
U Rutledge 1
P Price 24
P Greinke 21
P Jansen 22
P Garza 5
P Beckett 3
P Cahill 1
P Anderson 1
P Vogelsong 1
P Santos 1

A stars & scrubs team, I guess except I was trying to spread out the stars budget to fill as many slots as possible. Could be a disaster as the team is too dependent on injury prone or back from the dead types.

Rotodog

Post by Rotodog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:03 pm

whale4evr wrote:OK, at the risk of being pilloried, here's my team:

C Lucroy 14
C Martin 1
1B Hosmer 19
2B Pedroia 23
3B Zimmerman 19
SS Hanley 25
OF Choo 26
OF Heyward 20
OF Gordon 19
OF Ethier 1
OF Johnson 1
MI Lowrie 8
CI Frazier 3
U Rutledge 1
P Price 24
P Greinke 21
P Jansen 22
P Garza 5
P Beckett 3
P Cahill 1
P Anderson 1
P Vogelsong 1
P Santos 1

A stars & scrubs team, I guess except I was trying to spread out the stars budget to fill as many slots as possible. Could be a disaster as the team is too dependent on injury prone or back from the dead types.
I actually liked your process and team when I looked at this AM after 3 1/2 hours sleep. I wouldnt call it a classic Stars and scrubs or a spread the wealth draft for you. It was kind of a hybrid to me. You did have some star names , but you didnt spend more than 25 bucks for a player save for Choo @ 26.

With A healthy Price and Greinke atop the rotation and Kenley Jansenn striking guys out, you can be afforded some leeway on the back end of the rotation.
My only difference of opinion was in a couple instances. Ethier and Rutledge at OF and MI when I felt there were more reliable OF / MI eligible players on the board at the time and the decision to chase Kenley up to 22 bucks and inhibit your ability to buy another closer to make that investment worthwhile. I know we have 27 rounds to luck into saves somewhere, but in hindsight you may have been better off spending it on 2 closers in the 10-12 dollar range. Small gripes but otherwise a pretty good team IMO. Oh yeah, the decision to add Kelly Johnson and his 3 position eligibility was something I was considering as well at the end for a buck...Kudos..

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Navel Lint wrote:Here are my raw numbers from last night (Navel Lint). I will provide more context later.................

C Castillo,W....3
C Arencibia,J....2
1B Pujols,A....25
2B Guerrero,A....3
SS Escobar,A....6
3B Wright,D....28
2B Weeks,R....1
3B Machado,M....15
OF Braun,R....31
OF Kemp,M....21
OF Hamilton,J....20
OF Brown,D....17
OF Crawford,C....8
OF Willingham,J....3
P Fernandez,J....26
P Cain,M....17
P Ross,T....3
P Hudson,T....2
P Miley,W....3
P Peralta,W.... 1
P Bradley,A....1
RP Grilli,J....18
RP Frieri,E....11
I was in a home auction league for about 15 years before leaving that league and joining the NFBC. Since then I've only done one auction draft, that being four years ago.
So I'm not knew to auction style drafting, but I felt out of practice.

In most auction drafts, I go into it keying on a couple of players that I really want. I hope that I get these players at or very near my target price for them, and then I move through the remainder of the draft filling out the roster as best I can.

Last night I didn't do that. I tried something new for me.

I went into the draft slotting bid prices. I wanted to get 1 "first rounder/top tier" guy for $32. A couple of "Round 2/3" guys for $24-28 and a top tier starting pitcher for $22. I wanted the two best closers I could get for $18 and $11 apiece; and then I slotted other target prices throughout the 23-man roster.
After each purchase I made, I would adjust the other dollar slots depending on if I went over or under my goal on the previous buy.
I did not target any one single player.

The plan went so-so.

I got my 'first-rounder' for $31, R Braun. :?
Not really sure that I wanted Braun, but again, I really wanted to go through this draft sticking to my plan of slotting players into predetermined salary ranges and not focusing on particular players until later in the draft when I needed to fill out positions and stats.

I could see early on that number one starting pitchers were going for more than I had planned.
Kershaw $37
Wainwright $25
Darvish $27
Scherzer $25
Strasburg $25
Those and a couple more all came out within the first 40 players. I knew if I wanted one of the few remaining SP1's on the board I would have to bump up my bid. Seven players later, Jose Fernandez was up for bid and I got him at $26

When I used extra money for Fernandez, I had to take it away from my CL1 slotted at $18. That turned out to be a good thing because all of the highest rated closers went for $20+. I would have never gotten one anyway, and I would have been stuck holding on to that money, and not ended up with a number starter that I did get.
I actually like the deal I got for Grilli, $13, and Fieri, $11; when I compare their price to some of what the other closers went for.

In the middle of the draft, I picked up a few hitters for a couple of dollars less than what I slotted for their particular tier and position.
I moved that "saved" money over to my 4th and 5th SP. A move that one hour later I thought was a big mistake.

The money I moved over still wasn't enough to buy some of the pitchers I would have wanted, and in the mean time I let several hitters go that I would have taken because I didn't have enough money in my "hitting budget" to cover them.

Toward the end of the draft, after not getting anyone for a while, the excess "value" was back over on the pitching side. So I "moved" my money back over to the hitting slots knowing that I could pick up any of the remaining pitchers that I wanted for less than the money I had to get them.

In the end I'm ok with the way the draft went. I don't know if this is a good team or not.
There is a lot of age on my roster, not to mention injuries and whatever Ryan Braun is. I guess we will find out come Oct.

I spent $183 (70%) on hitting and $77 (30%) on pitching.

The league as a whole spent $2564 (65.7%) on hitting. The high being $189 (74%) and low $138 (53%)

For pitching we spent a total of $1336 (34.3%). The high was $122 (47%) and low was $71 (26%)
Last edited by Navel Lint on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
Navel Lint wrote:

1B Pujols,A....25

3B Wright,D....28

OF Braun,R....31
OF Kemp,M....21
OF Hamilton,J....20

OF Crawford,C....8

Pujols,Wright,Braun,JHamilton,Crawford

All-Stars in 2009 and 2010 plus you got Kemp too. Helluva lotta potential there.
:lol: :D

About half way through the draft I actually posted in the chat area, "I have a great team if we use 2010 stats"
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Navel Lint wrote:

P Bradley,A....1
RP Grilli,J....18
RP Frieri,E....11
I actually like the deal I got for Grilli, $13, and Fieri, $11; when I compare their price to some of what the other closers went for.
I was waiting to hear why Grilli went for $18 but your review makes it seem likely the number was a typo. $13 is better.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Rotodog wrote:One more team from last nights auction. A couple observations from what I read here vs the previous two auctions.

As in all Auctions, some owners held too much money and ended up chasing the guys in the middle. I got the impression there was a mix of experienced Auction guys and some very inexperienced in the room creating strange swings in value.

Our Auction didnt go 100% as we wanted because we had to adjust a bit to the crazy middle rounds. In those rounds as players were going for more than they should , we knew that it would shake out in the end somewhere in cheaper prices and hopefully at positions we needed. It Did. Our pitching Staff isnt stellar, but Highly serviceable considering we have 27 more rounds to own streaming pitchers.

We purposely left 3 OF spots , the MI and CI and UT spots for the end game as we felt there was still a surplus of talent to be had when it arose. As money was drying up in the end from the owners that had too much, we took the opportunity to take what the draft dropped in our lap.

Now I will Contend that any roto team that has 3 Houston Astros players on it is doomed for failure. In Chris Carter( CI) Matt Dominguez (UT) and Jonathon Villar (MI) we basically got 60 HRs and 40+ Plus potential steals for 4 bucks..AVG may take a hit but hopefully we can absorb it somehwere..We wont be winning the AVG category anyway...lol

In Eric Young and John Villar in the end, we potentially have 80+ steals for 4 bucks total. SO who needs Billy hamilton?

Pitching is a tad light but we felt there was still enough in the draft portion of this league to spend a dollar on a lottery ticket like Carlos Martinez in the event he ends up being a SP sometime this season. They dont call him little Pedro for nothing.. This closers were going for more than they did in the previous drafts so we settled where we did and will try to Bench some saves potential at some point in the draft....

We wanted two guys we could count on K's from for 200 IP each. Masterson is Better than most people think and reliable.
Buchholz is one hell of a pitcher when he pitches. When we combine him and what ever starter we replace him with when he ultimately gets tweaked out, we feel we still have a quality pitcher. Corbin and Quintana were quality SP with maybe some stability and a tinge of upside.

ANyhow, here is the team. Rip away at ( the Money Shot ) team..

Wilin Rosario $19
Wilson Ramos $8

Edwin Encarnacion $30
Aaron Hill 14
J.J.Hardy $13
Evan Longoria $27

Andrew McCutchen 36
Alex Rios $25
Carlos Quentin $1
Eric Young $2
Justin Ruggiano $1

Chris Carter $1
Jonathan Villar $2
Matt Dominguez $1

Chris Sale $23
Justin Masterson $10
Clay Buchholz $9
Patrick Corbin $8
Jose Quintana $3
Carlos E. Martinez $1

Bobby Parnell $9
Fernando Rodney $9
Rex Brothers $3
Very nice team and many good buys. You seem to be ready for the Big Auction in Vegas!! :D :D

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:44 pm

whale4evr wrote:OK, at the risk of being pilloried, here's my team:

C Lucroy 14
C Martin 1
1B Hosmer 19
2B Pedroia 23
3B Zimmerman 19
SS Hanley 25
OF Choo 26
OF Heyward 20
OF Gordon 19
OF Ethier 1
OF Johnson 1
MI Lowrie 8
CI Frazier 3
U Rutledge 1
P Price 24
P Greinke 21
P Jansen 22
P Garza 5
P Beckett 3
P Cahill 1
P Anderson 1
P Vogelsong 1
P Santos 1

Lots of big names.. I don't personally like the back end of the pitching staff, so I would pick up some pitching in the reserve rounds.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Deadheadz wrote:
Navel Lint wrote:

P Bradley,A....1
RP Grilli,J....18
RP Frieri,E....11
I was waiting to hear why Grilli went for $18 but your review makes it seem likely the number was a typo. $13 is better.
It was. I really should start wearing my glasses. :geek:
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 am

Last edited by Deadheadz on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 am

Tom and I are setting up these leagues now and will enter draft results early this week. Here's the draft order for the first $125 DC Auction League and remember Round 24 starts with Pick #15:

NFBC $125 Draft Champions Auction League 1
1. Chris Piper
2. Tim Wagner
3. Ken Gill
4. Emory Upchurch (who replaced Emory?)
5. Todd Zola
6. Andy Saxton
7. Roy Ericson
8. Mark Srebro
9. Roger Martin
10. Jim Jeckewicz
11. Ryan Gray
12. Bryan Vogel
13. Michael Mager
14. Dan Kenyon
15. Stanley Kaye
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:53 am

Mike Edelman replaced Emory

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Last edited by Deadheadz on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:53 pm

76erfan wrote:Mike Edelman replaced Emory
Thank you. I'm going to get this first Auction league set up soon. All 15 owners are registered for this one now.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Okay, the draft order is set for the NFBC $250 Auction Draft Champions League. We still need Scott Butterworth to sign up before we can load the draft results, so someone reach out to Scott and have him contact me at [email protected]. Or he can sign up online. Either way, once we get him locked in we'll load in the draft results.

Here's the draft order and remember that pick #15 leads off Round 24:

NFBC $250 Auction Draft Champions

1. Dave Potts
2. David Taylor
3. DJ Kinney
4. Jay Bufis
5. Stanley Kaye
6. Scott Butterworth
7. Dave Shovein
8. James Dexter
9. Jim Jeckewicz
10. Alan Greenberg
11. Jim Christie
12. Jody Ryan
13. Dave Van Der Stuyf
14. Jon Stadtmueller
15. Jesse Mumm
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

fozzie

Post by fozzie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Done -- sorry for the delay, Greg. I never got the word that we were good to sign up.

Scott

Bigbear968

Post by Bigbear968 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Do we all need to sign up right now or just the first group?

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Deadheadz on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Bigbear968 wrote:Do we all need to sign up right now or just the first group?
Nope, don't sign up for these. I'll take care of everything here. Scott wasn't in the system yet.

The first league should have complete rosters tonight. We'll get the $250 done in the next day as well and I'll set up the second $125 tomorrow. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm

League 1 $125 is now fully entered. Check all of your rosters and let me know if you see any mistakes. That league should be loaded and ready to go. Thanks all and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius