Trade Deadline

GetALife

Re: Trade Deadline

Post by GetALife » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 pm

I expected the Rays to get more too. Although, who knows maybe they know something about all these players we don't. They definitely have a way to get pitchers on the right track so Smiley could be something. Franklin was a top prospect for Middle Infield not too long ago. Maybe they'll turn him into something too.
I just hope they didn't turn down Taveras for Price, or Joc Pederson for Price to go with this..............

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:25 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:The A's and Tigers are in an "arms race" the likes of which have not been seen since the Cold War!

Lester, Samardzija, Gray and Kazmir vs. Scherzer, Price, Sanchez and Verlander (or Porcello)

Wow!

Mike

The one major thing that hasn't been mentioned by anyone in the media in comparison of the two teams is the A's bullpen. Cook, Doolittle, Gregerson, O'Flaherty, Otero, etc. And they can put Jesse Chavez, Hammel, and have Pomeranz in the pen for the postseason. The Tigers don't have anything close to this.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 am

GetALife wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:The A's and Tigers are in an "arms race" the likes of which have not been seen since the Cold War!

Lester, Samardzija, Gray and Kazmir vs. Scherzer, Price, Sanchez and Verlander (or Porcello)

Wow!

Mike

The one major thing that hasn't been mentioned by anyone in the media in comparison of the two teams is the A's bullpen. Cook, Doolittle, Gregerson, O'Flaherty, Otero, etc. And they can put Jesse Chavez, Hammel, and have Pomeranz in the pen for the postseason. The Tigers don't have anything close to this.
I agree. I'd probably give a very small edge to the Tigers in terms of the starters but a big edge to the A's in terms of bullpen. Nathan has been very suspect this year, and Soria has stunk since coming to Detroit. At this point in his career, I wouldn't want to have to rely on Joba to get big outs in close, pivotal play-off game.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 am

Let's not forget Adames is 18 y.o. The Rays surely scouted him, and if they didn't see "Longoria"-type future in him I doubt they pull the trigger on this trade. This player could be something special, and the Rays must think so.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote: Are we so conditioned to large money in the Big Leagues that we think Prado is cheap at 11 million bones?
The Mets signed Chris Young for 8 million and alot of folks didn't think it was THAT much.
It is.
It's an expensive roster spot for a player not playing up to the salary.
Maybe Prado will with the Yankees. Either way, they can better afford him.

Prado has five homers this year and really has not been a factor of any kind for the Diamondbacks. Even the staunchest Diamondback fan will tell you that they won't contend again before 2016.
Prado is good to get off their books.
Conditioned? No, just a statement of current economies. Yes, $11M is too much to pay for ANY ballplayer, but in the world of MLB, that is not a huge amount for a veteran every day player and a guy who can play several positions well for you (Prado has never had big time fantasy stats, one of those better baseball than fantasy baseball players). Prado is probably worth it in economies of scale.

And who are they going to get to be as valuable cheaper? At what price is Prado a bargain? $7m? So what can they get for that to play third base so that they can actually use the $4M to upgrade? How much upgrade is in $4m? I mean, sure, Pennington/Pacheco will be cheaper, but...

No, while I disagree at how far off the Diamondbacks are from contending, they will not contend in 2016 as long as they continue to make such stupid moves.

But like you said, it is fun to disagree! :D
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:42 am

boy- free markets are truly dead in this country when a conservative businessmen from the south utters words like "11 million is too much to pay for any ballplayer" sounds like pellosi or B.O.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 am

headhunters wrote:boy- free markets are truly dead in this country when a conservative businessmen from the south utters words like "11 million is too much to pay for any ballplayer" sounds like pellosi or B.O.
OUCH! That is the first time I have been compared to those two...individuals!

My honor has been impuned! I challenge you to a duel of balloons and blunderbusses at 2,000 paces next year in Vegas! Afterwards we can grab a beer and make fun of Yankee fans! :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am

Prado is a Utility player. That's all.
His ability to play different positions is not worth 11 million dollars. Nick Punto can play many positions and actually has more homers and stolen bases per at bat than Prado this season. This isn't to compare Prado to Punto, it's to illustrate that Prado is not holding up his end, OFFENSIVELY, to earn that 11 million dollars.
Can Arizona find a 3b that will hit more than five homers?
HECK, YEAH!
Prado was an ill fit for Arizona. At third base or in the outfield, he is not worth 11 million dollars.
Probably on ANY team.
Maybe at 2b or ss, he could be.
It was a good move for a small market team who is not going anywhere in the standings.
Flexibility in payroll is king for small market teams. This is why I was so impressed by the Lester trade yesterday.
Beane found flexibility in his payroll for next year, while improving his team for a short series this year.
I know there are contrarians who think that Cespedes was too much to give, but he was the perfect piece for Beane to move. A better playoff staff for this year and a running start with payroll room for next year and Beane is off to the races again.
Boston comes out a winner too. Cespedes style of play suits Fenway better than Oakland. Boston also has the resources to extend Cespedes, should he and Boston fall in love with each other. The A's do not have those resources. They have to buy Cespedes early and get something for him late to make his deal work for them. And they did.
Both teams got what they wanted.

It is fun to disagree on these trades because there is no right answer.
The answer is in the future.
Royals fans were sure they would get something back later for Shields in the Shields/Davis for Myers/Odorizzi trade.
They got nothing.
Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern and Burke Badenhop were the players that the Marlins got for Miguel Cabrera.
Some were astonished (especially prospect ravers)that the Tigers had given up so much.
NOW, we know that it was a lopsided deal going the other way.
We never know, but each of us is always right in our own hearts which makes these disagreements all the more fun. :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Fair enough. Still, I would pay him $11,000,000 to be on my team.

BTW, can you loan me $10,999,999.50?
Charles Krauthammer

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:09 am

Skimmed through this fairly long thread and saw some Phillies comments.
The Phillies are the Stroh's Brewing Co. of MLB. There was a recent article on the demise of Stroh's, how a beer brand that was once the 3rd largest in the country ruined itself with bad business decision after bad business decision. That is your Phillies. From champions in 08 to a laughingstock now. All under the direction of Rueben Amaro. Didn't Amaro learn anything from Pat Gillick? Seems not. They really had to do something at this year's deadline, get rid of at least one or two of the bad contracts they are saddled with. I'm ok with keeping Byrd as he's playing well and has just one year left under contract, but you had to do something with Howard, Utley or Rollins. And if you couldn't get fair value or anything resembling fair value, then you have to release Howard, send a message, and put Darin Ruf in there every day at first base. At least then you are accomplishing something. But now this team is going to go into next year with the same bad contracts in place that they already have. I've been to a couple of games this season and for the first time in many years the place has plenty of seats available. Next year will be even worse. I've had them on the tv maybe once since the all star break. The season is over. Bring on some football......